In previous years, this was a memory box so we didn't miss any good nominations for the Cappies. With the Cappies hypertimed away, that doesn't mean we have to discontinue these threads. I've always liked going back at the end of the year and seeing the books and stories and moments that people really champion -- including plenty of stuff that I've forgotten about come Christmastime. 

So have at it, Legionnaires! It's a bold new year! What in 2017 has knocked you out?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Probably! I can't think of where else he'd be (aside from maybe an animated commercial for a K-Tel novelty record compilation!

• 792CE3CCB5D6392D55237E12FCF28AB42B152592.jpeg

This volume features and introduction by Tom Batiuk who relates the story of the 2022 Funky Winkerbean continuity in which Phil Holt, his Silver Age comic book artist character, tells the story of how he once auditioned to be Hal Foster's successor back in 1970. Wally Wood auditioned, Gray Morrow auditioned, John Cullen Murphy got it. I gained a new respect for John Cullen Murphy after reaging Gary Gianni's 2008 book The Prince Valiant Page (Flesk) about the rigorous audition process he (Gianni) had to go through to get the job. 

gary-gianni-prince-valiant-page.jpg?format=750w

• ABSOLUTE SUPERMAN by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank:

s-l1600.webp

This 12.5" x 8.5" slipcased hardcover reprints all of the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank Superman stories (mostly from Action Comics #858-863, #866-870 and Superman: Secret Origin #1-6) in relase date order, plus a ton of extra features. My one quibble (and it is a slight quibble), is that the Secret Origin series should have been presented first rather than last, but I understand why they chose to do it that way. My way would have begun with the origin and ended with the death of Pa Kent, but that would have ended the volume on a down note. No matter; one can choose to read the stories in any order one wants to. In addition to the the revamped origin story, other stories include the return of the Legion of Super-Heroes (the "real" ones from Adventure Comics #247, not the "Zero Hour" or "Eat It, Grandpa!" version) and their version of Brainiac. 

• A post-modern re-imagining of 1950s-era romance comics. Some nudity. Sexually suggestive if not explicit. Not for everyone.

Kommix_CharlesBurns_3D_540x.jpg?v=1708562672

• I dig Charles Burns, but had not heard of this one, so thanks! I'll probably wait for the library to get a copy.

• Say, Mark... do you know anything about FREE S**T by Charles Burns?

Free_Sh_t-3DCover_520x.png?v=1615596172

It is a smaller-size hardcover which I saw sitting on the shelf of my LCS yesterday. I don't think it's new, but it was sealed in plastic and I was unable to look at it.

• This is the first I've heard of Charles Burns. I looked him up on Amazon, which lists several books by him, including one being published next month:

Amazon.com : charles burns

Amazon.com : charles burns
    • Completely new to me! I poked around a bit. Amazon has it: from 2019, "A collection of the Black Hole cartoonist’s secret, self-published sketchbooks and zines."

• ATLAS COMICS LIBRARY No. 3: "In the Days of the Rockets!"

Atlas_Vol3_DaysoftheRockets_3D_540x.jpg?v=1706218151

This shipped today. Like the previous volume in the series, this one is about a month behind the solicit date, but I was champing at the bit to read Venus; I wasn't so upset about waiting for this one. It contains the complete runs of Space Squadron/Space Worlds #1-6 and Speed Carter, Spaceman #1-6.

• THE FLASH by William Messner-Loebs and Greg LaRocque Omnibus Vol. 1:

Collects Flash #1-28, Flash Anuual #1-3, Manhunter #8-9, Secret Origins Annual #2, and pages from Invasion! #2-3, featuring over a dozen never-before-collected issues, along with a brand new foreword by Mike Baron and an introduction by William Messner Loebs.

Shipped today. 

This reply was deleted.