A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don't worry, Steve, I'm pretty sure that cover hasn't been posted yet this month.  I still had it as one of my possibles!

Happily, I still have more than I can reasonably post, from quite a few different genres.

Funny animal:

12214549853?profile=RESIZE_584x

Western (with a very similar scene to the Straight Arrow cover):

12214551453?profile=RESIZE_584x

Superhero:

12214554490?profile=RESIZE_584x

I'll finish the month with a cover from the Lev Gleason Daredevil Comics.  This is from the lengthy period where the comic was blazoned "featuring The Little Wise Guys", and they appeared in the cover scene without Daredevil, who was only shown as part of the logo.  For that reason, I'm using it as a transition to next month's "Title Character Not Featured" theme.

12214564665?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Ajax-Farrell's Strange Journey #1 (1957)

12214570069?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Due to some of my cover candidates being posted by others first, I've reached the end of the railways line comic book wise, but I still have something to post today.

You've heard of the "damsel in distress tied to the railroad tracks"? What about the Monkee in a similar situation? Below is a still image of Peter Tork from The Monkees' ♫Last Train To Clarksville♫, courtesy of Google Images, along with A Clarksville depot, although a town in Tennessee could have filled in, if there was time to go film there. (The link added the blurb at the bottom.)

12214608297?profile=RESIZE_400x

12214608882?profile=RESIZE_400x

Is 'Last Train to Clarksville' about Clarksville, Tennessee?
    Legend has it that the Monkees song is about Clarksville, Tennessee, but the guys who wrote the song have other ideas.
  • This month's covers have been unusually easy for me. I had some I didn't like that I dumped.

After giving everyone a chance earlier today, I'm posting my "leftovers."

12214717655?profile=RESIZE_400x

12214717674?profile=RESIZE_400x

12214717899?profile=RESIZE_400x

12214718269?profile=RESIZE_400x

• I have plenty of leftovers as well, but I'll go with just one more.  The cover to a very powerful story.

12214917059?profile=RESIZE_400x
    12214916888?profile=RESIZE_180x180
    12214917252?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• To start off September, Chipmunk Hunk, Brian and Koi Boi take over the cover of Doreen's book....
    12214930857?profile=RESIZE_930x

• 12214977263?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Batman is reflected in the Penguin's top hat. Doesn't that count?

Also, I'm not sure even silk casts a "reflection" like that.

• I don't know that we need yo be too dogmatic about these things. Anyway, maybe he's wearing a aht with Batman's picture on it.  ;)

More seriously, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

• Batman's also reflected in the Penguin's monocle!  So if we're gonna be ultra-pedantic, the title character is actually featured twice!

But I'm sure none of us are going to do thatwink

This reply was deleted.