A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I mentioned on some other thread how weak the Avengers got in this particular period. At one point (Avengers #49) the team consisted of Hawkeye, Wasp and a Goliath who had lost his powers. The Li'l Capn was distraught.

Pym got his growth powers back in #50 (at least up to 10 feet, whee) and Black Panther joined in #54 (more whee). Thankfully Vision joined in #57 to give the team a little punch.

They fought an incarnation of the Masters of Evil in #55-56, who were kind enough to limit their membership to four this go-round so it'd be a fair fight. (JK, that was Roy Thomas who did that.) But the four were Melter, Whirlwind, Klaw and Radioactive Man, any one of which should have beaten a team that consisted of a man just four feet taller than most superheroes, an archer, a girl who could shrink and a costumed acrobat. 

This is all ancient history to everyone else, but I read it in real time, and was chagrined at this group of B-listers calling themselves Avengers.

• I remember the tragedy of the 10 foot tall Goliath. For all his moaning about it, at least for a little while, he actually pulled his weight until, of course, Hercules showed up.

I always thought that Stan Lee felt Hank Pym needed a "Marvel Flaw" but how does being only 10 ft tall make you an effective super-hero? He wasn't bulletproof and each of the then current Avengers could have defeated him if they tried!

• Avengers, 5th and 10th anniversaries.

12404615476?profile=RESIZE_400x

12404615670?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Daredevil #8 (April 2024) will mark the 60th anniversary of Daredevil #1 (April 1964).

large-5268101.jpg?1711147805

• Dave's three-eyed covers posted here yesterday reminded me of this post of mine on the "Three of a Kind" thread (page 20):

"Three of a kind" in more ways than one.

3688073476?profile=RESIZE_710x

3688074315?profile=RESIZE_710x

3688074948?profile=RESIZE_710x

A Cover a Day
    Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comi…
  •  902035.jpg

1139243.jpg

• I had another three-eyed three of a kind ready to go for today.  It included Adventures into the Unknown #119, which I see has been posted before as well as I suspect when we did Egyptian themed covers.

12404724455?profile=RESIZE_180x180

So let's go with

12404724296?profile=RESIZE_400x

and

12404724469?profile=RESIZE_400x

It's hard to see but Nardo and his troops have three eyes

12404724678?profile=RESIZE_584x

Now I need a third one.  I thought there has to be cover with Doctor Strange sporting the Eye of Agamotto on his forehead.  I couldn't find one (admittedly, I didn't look too hard).  Does anyone know of one?  So I made my own--and it's the 61st Anniversary to boot --continuing the numbering of Strange Tales--with some Stan Lee-esque bombast.  For the sake of nostalgia, I made him the "Master of Black Magic" just as he had been introduced in #110.

12404725091?profile=RESIZE_584x

• 12404724296?profile=RESIZE_400x

Just in time for Easter: The Shroud of Gold Key.

fDIislR.gif

• And you thought Archie had problems trying to choose between Betty and Veronica. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

12143394286?profile=RESIZE_400x

• 12404805664?profile=RESIZE_584x

This reply was deleted.