A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Daredevil #4

12426738301?profile=RESIZE_930x

• House of Mystery #4

12427365497?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Man vs. Flood(s)

06381365136.27.jpg

78357032384.151.jpg

• 824645.jpg

• Archie Comics is known more for their teenage comedies, but there is a serious side to their comic book history through various subsidary imprints, as this fourth issue proves. (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

12427522874?profile=RESIZE_400x

• As I'm sure you all know, singer David Cassidy would have been 74 years old today. His pop career, back in the 70's was nothing short of phenomenal. A few quotes from Wikipedia:-

He first became famous in 1970, when he got the role of Keith Partridge on the musical TV show The Partridge Family. The part of his mother was played by Shirley Jones who was his stepmother in real life.  The show was popular, but fame took its toll on Cassidy. In the midst of his rise to fame, he felt stifled by the show and trapped by the hysteria surrounding his life. In 1972, to alter his public image, he appeared nude on the cover of Rolling Stone in an Annie Leibovitz photo.  In the UK, where the Partridge Family was beginning to catch on (the TV series did not start there until Dec 1971) it was decided to release "Could It Be Forever" & "Cherish" as a double A-side. It quickly rose to No.2, with "Could It Be Forever" receiving most of the airplay.  Cassidy achieved far greater chart success in the UK than in the USA. After launching his solo career, he was for a short time the highest paid entertainer in the world. At the peak of his career, his fan club was bigger than any other pop star, including The Beatles & Elvis.  Though he wanted to become a respected rock musician, his route to stardom made him a teen idol, a title he loathed until much later in life. 10 albums by The Partridge Family & 5 solo albums by Cassidy were produced during the series, with most selling more than a million copies.

Here's David Cassidy #4 from June 1972.

12427539474?profile=RESIZE_930x

• I had a cardboard David Cassidy record cut from the back of a box of Raisin Bran.

EDIT: Oh, wait... Nevermind. That was Bobby Sherman.

Bobby Sherman
    Robert Cabot "Bobby" Sherman Jr. (born July 22, 1943) is an American singer and actor who became a teen idol in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He ha…
    • IIRC, the Merry Marvel Marching Society had a cardboard record of the bullpen doing schtick. Ditko wasn't on it. They said he used his spider-powers to go out the window.

• If you haven't heard it, click HERE.

• Is that actually Cassidy or a photo of his stand in, Miss Jan Freeman, who filmed a lot of the later Partridge Family episodes because of David's busy schedule? Cassidy did come back and recorded his lines in post production, but visually it is her onscreen.

This reply was deleted.