Just curious how many relatively active posters are on the board and how do everyone's interests break down?

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work?

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

What do you like best about the board?

What do you feel are some challenges for the board?

Views: 1950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As for Google knowing about your past searches, I always clear out all browser history, including cookies, when closing my browser. I also sometimes do it before closing my browser if I'm doing banking, etc. If you do this I think you will have the "doesn't know who you are" experience.

Maybe, if they track your IP address as well they could still skew it for you. I don't know if they do or not.

Richard Willis said:

As for Google knowing about your past searches, I always clear out all browser history, including cookies, when closing my browser. I also sometimes do it before closing my browser if I'm doing banking, etc. If you do this I think you will have the "doesn't know who you are" experience.

Looking back through the thread, the challenges the board faces that have been identified are:

- not enough members / too limited a number of participants / conversations dying out too quickly / not enough diversity of viewpoints

- not enough discussion of current material / trouble getting a good discussion on recent comics going, (whether due to spoiler concerns, people buying at different times, or trade waiters)

- reluctance to post when things haven't been read recently or when people don't feel knowledgeable enough on the subject versus some of their peers or when an apparent consensus of opinion seems to exist

- some comments are spelled/formatted in a way that can make them hard to follow

- discussions sometimes get bogged down in minutiae

- not enough silliness on the board

Additionally, some people feel the board as a whole is too thin skinned while others feel that distasteful remarks are given a pass for too long.

The consensus seems to be that negative comments are fine as long as they're specific and not just general bashing.

That about sum it up or did I miss something there?

Some of the suggestions that have been put forward are: 

- a membership drive

- consistent tagging of threads

- appropriating the reviews forum for broader use

- dedicated threads for each series to encourage posting after initial release.

I'd like to float another idea too; I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in a "TPB Book Club"?  Basically, what I'm thinking is that we'd choose one trade a week and designate it the board's "book club selection" for that week.  We keep it at just one trade each week so that it doesn't seem onerous or push out anybody's normal reading.  Maybe designate all the selections a month ahead of time so that people have time to buy the trade, dig it out of storage, get it from the library, etc.  Perhaps have a different person choose the selections and start the discussion each month, to offer some variety and keep things from falling into a rut.  I'm thinking if there's any interest, this could focus attention a little so that we'd have at least one item each week that lots of people have read recently and would want to discuss.  Additionally, it might make it so that there's some non-super hero material discussed a little more often.  Anyway, it's something I think might be fun... anybody else have any interest?

Border Mutt said:

- appropriating the reviews forum for broader use

That was me - I thought it was possible that that was how the Captain meant the forum to be used - but what I think would be better would be keeping it a forum for his review threads only and moving it higher on the forum list. In the former case I think it would be better if it were the top forum and "General Comics Discussion" was below "Mr. Silver Age".

Subtracting forums might make the forum list easier to browse. Possibly the "Important Notifications" and "Questions, Suggestions and Requests" forums could be combined. Possibly the threads from the "Comics and Grown Up Stuff" forum could be folded into the "General Comics Discussions" forum and the "In Depth Comics Discussions" forum, as appropriate. Possibly the threads from the "Sports" forum, which has not been very active, might be moved into "General NON-Comics Discussions".

The sports threads could be tagged "sports" instead.

Eliminating forums would make it harder to find older threads in an area covered by an eliminated forum, but easier to find a forum with active discussions.

The problem with eliminating forums is that it would make it harder to find some threads, since the search function on Ning blows. Sometimes I just have to plow through some forum pages to find what I am looking for.

Sometimes one can find things through Google with a site specific Google search. The form is < search term site:captaincomics.ning.com >.

Yeah I do that as well from time to time, but as you say it only works sometimes.

Luke Blanchard said:

Sometimes one can find things through Google with a site specific Google search. The form is < search term site:captaincomics.ning.com >.

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

I guess I read mostly current comics but also read a good portion of older stuff (dc's Archives and Marvel's Masterworks).

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

I read anything that I think has an interesting premise. Since Amazing Spider-Man was my last monthly and they've done something to him and he's no longer Spider-Man in Marvel NOW, I am now completely free of monthlies and focus solely on Trades. I read a good mix of Marvel, DC, Boom, Image, Avatar, Atlas, Dynamite and the occasional IDW book.

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work?

Geoff Johns on GL I love, Peter David on Cap Marvel (and pretty much everything else) I don't like. I like Camuncoli's art, as well as Phil Jimenez, George Perez, Todd McFarlane, Jack Kirby, Keith Giffen and quite a few more. Not a big fan of Don Heck, Carmine Infantino, Humberto Ramos or any art that's too cartoony or anime-inspired.

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

Both.

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

I enjoy discussing stories, whether positively or otherwise. Just trying to create a dialogue and get feedback to see if others saw what I saw in the comic or maybe even gleaning something that others, or myself, didn't see or never thought of. Isn't that why this board exists? ;)

What do you like best about the board?

It's all about the people. Different personalities, to be sure, but we all have one thing in common: our love for comics. That's what I like best!

What do you feel are some challenges for the board?

Probably trying to have the right number of discussion threads and themes. We have comic, publisher, movies & tv, sports, in-depth discussions. These are all general and good. Is it enough? Should there be more? Should we break down discussion threads by publisher or (gasp) title? To me, it seems fine the way it is. I just go with it.

Do I read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

The closest I've come to reading new comics is obtaining the paperback edition of volume 1 of "All-Star Superman" when it came out in '08, which I got because people raved about it on the net. I like(d) it, and bought Volume 2 when it showed up at Borders.

Do I read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

Mostly I read DC "Showcase Presents" volumes, though I also own about a dozen Marvel "Essentials". Primarily, I buy Silver Age tpb collections of stories that I just missed out on in my childhood, either because I was too young to read the ones left floating around the house or because my 2 older brothers never bought them but would have if they'd had the money and they'd seen them. Basically, I'm playing "catch-up", just another sign that I've entered my dotage.

Are there any current creators that I love or hate?

I bought Grant Morrison's "Batman--R.I.P" tpb because I liked "A-S Superman", but just found it perplexing and hallucinatory.

Am I interested in discussing things I've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

I enjoy reading contributors' opinions of Silver Age tpb collections (thanks, Hoy and Randy!); I don't contribute much to the discussions because the anti-psychotic drugs I take for my depression and anxiety make most of the day a bit bewildering and hard to concentrate--I really can't analyze things critically the way I used to just a few years ago, and I often have difficulty following the threads of the conversations. But I am a little less depressed.

Do I prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

I prefer to read about the warts and all.

What I like best about the board is reading others' opinions of depictions of superheroes in various media.

I get the idea that there's far too little participation by boardmembers, but I have no idea how to increase it, though this questionnaire seems to have worked

Sorry I haven't responded to this before now. The busy life of a writer/editor, you know.

To take your questions in order...

When I have the time, I try to catch up on recent releases first, although at this point I'm a good 2-3 months behind on any given title. I do have a nice box of back issues I have yet to read, but there's no immediate hurry on reading those.

I'm mostly DC (although I'm reading less than half of the "New 52" now) with a couple of IDWs and one Dark Horse title, Buffy: Season 9. Have totally given up on Marvels over the years to the point that I said goodbye to the Fantastic Four with Jonathan Hickman's last issue. IMHO though: NO character or team/group should have more than 2 titles. Do we really need multiple X-men, Avengers, Justice Leagues, Batmen, etc?

There are no creators that I outright hate, but there are some that I will read sooner than others, and there are others from the past (like Cary Bates, Eliot S! Maggin, Len Wein, and Marv Wolfman) that I wish were more active today.

To answer your next two questions: I like the wide variety of topic coverage that already exists on this board.

The best thing I like about this board is the camaraderie/friendship.

Challenges: Keeping things the way they are while staying up to date while not losing the camaraderie/friendship feeling; and keeping this board from getting too commercial or being overtaken by someone else in the message board version of a corporate takeover.

Those are my thoughts/opinions on the subject.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYBODY!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service