Comics Guide: April 24-30, 2023

<p style="clear: both;">

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLAB #1

Story: Monte Beauchamp, Noah Van Sciver, Jeffrey Steele, Giselle Potter | Art: Noah Van Sciver, Noah Van Sciver, Jeffrey Steele, Giselle Potter, Greg Clarke | Art/Cover: Ryan Heshka | $19.99

Dark Horse Comics is proud to announce its publishing partnership with Yoe Books. Craig Yoe, called by USA Today “the comic book genre’s master archaeologist,” has written or edited nearly 100 books in the field of comics and cartooning history, was Creative Director/Vice President/General Manager of Jim Henson's Muppets and a Creative Director at Nickelodeon and Disney, and has won multiple Eisner Awards and the Gold Medal from the Society of Illustrators. Along with co-publisher, author and creative Clizia Gussoni, Yoe Books has an ambitious publishing schedule planned with Dark Horse.

First in the lineup is BLAB! Volume 1, arriving in Spring 2023. The Harvey Award-winning anthology of cutting-edge comics, art and culture created by award-winning editor and designer Monte Beauchamp returns to its comics roots with a stellar lineup of contributors. Noah Van Sciver depicts the tragic demise of Crime Does Not Pay editor Robert Wood. Ryan Heshka recounts the rise and fall of Superman creators Siegel and Shuster. Sasha Velour portrays the making of film director F.W. Murnau’s Nosferatu. Children’s book illustrator Giselle Potter examines Peter Rabbit author Beatrix Potter’s passion as a naturalist. Illustrated articles include the history of the gorilla and a report on UFOs. All this and much more included in Comics and Stories That Will Make You BLAB!

Mike Richardson, Founder and CEO of Dark Horse, notes: "Dark Horse has had a long working relationship with Craig Yoe and Clizia Gussoni and their company. Now I’m excited to announce that our relationship has become official, with an overall deal distributing a new line of books from Yoe Studios. Craig has always had a keen eye toward comics and has produced some of the industry’s most unique publications. That legacy continues as our first joint offering features BLAB! Volume 1, an anthology of cutting-edge comics curated by Monte Beauchamp."

“I’m beyond excited that Yoe Books and Dark Horse have become partners!” said Yoe. “Monte Beauchamp’s superlative and inventive Blab! comics anthology is just the first in a varied line of must-have titles coming from Yoe Books and Dark Horse.”

“To be published by both Yoe Books and Dark Horse is a dream come true!” said Beauchamp.

Praise for Yoe Books:

"All of the books Yoe has produced: a trove of rarities, a veritable feast of visual treasures!" — The Comics Journal

"Beautifully and thoughtfully designed. You can feel the joy in each page." — Pop Culture Hound

“I keep buying books from Yoe Books as gifts, then keeping them for myself!”— Mark Hamill

"If you're a comic book lover and are looking for the perfect coffee table tome for your rad crash pad, seek no further than Yoe! Books and their swank collection — from the wacky to the bizarre! Yoe is an exceptional comics historian, unearthing fascinating comics!" — MTV

• If Craig Yoe is involved, it's probably pretty good.

BLUE BOOK #3 (OF 5)

DRAGON AGE: MISSING #4

EC ARCHIVES: TALES FROM CRYPT VOL 3 HC

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES — JEDI QUEST ONE-SHOT

Story: Claudia Gray | Art: Fico Ossio | Cover: Tom Fowler | $5.99

On the ancient world of Angcord, the Force works in unforeseen ways. When legendary Jedi Knight Barnabus Vim and his intrepid Padawan Bly arrive on this mysterious world, seeking an ancient artifact of the Force, they quickly find more than they were bargaining for.

But just what is the mysterious Echo Stone, and what does its existence mean for the continued survival of all those who call Angcord home?

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1054

THE AUTHORITY BOOK ONE TP

• DC said they were going to reprint books related to the announced projects from DC Films, and here is one.

BATMAN AND ROBIN VOL 1: REBORN TP

• Here's another.

BATMAN AND SON TP

• Here's a third.

BLUE BEETLE: GRADUATION DAY #6 (OF 6)

BOOSTER BOLD: 52 PICKUP TP

• Here's a fourth.

CREATURE COMMANDOS TP

• Here's a fifth.

DC/RWBY #3 (OF 7)

DETECTIVE COMICS #1071

GREEN ARROW #1 (OF 6)

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Sean Izaakse | $19.99

The Emerald Archer is lost, and it will take Oliver Queen’s whole family to find him! But dangerous forces are determined to keep them apart at any cost! Spinning out of Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths, Green Arrow by DC architect Joshua Williamson (Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths, Superman) and artist Sean Izaakse (Thunderbolts) is an action-packed adventure across the DCU that sets the stage for major stories in 2023!

• I didn't care much for the New 52 Green Arrow. This is still him, right? Despite the facial fuzz?

HARLEY QUINN #29

LAZARUS PLANET: REVENGE OF THE GODS #4 (OF 4)

LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE: CARMINE INFANTINO HC

RIDDLER: YEAR ONE #4 (OF 6)

SANDMAN UNIVERSE: DEAD BOY DETECTIVES #5 (OF 6)

TIME DRAKE: ROBIN #8

UNSTOPPABLE DOOM PATROL #2 (OF 6)

WONDER WOMAN: PARADISE FOUND TP

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

GARGOYLES #5

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #12

IDW PUBLISHING

COSMIC CADETS BOOK 1: CONTACT

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES #2

STAR TREK #7

TMNT: ARMAGEDDON GAME #7

TMNT: BEST OF TMNT COLLECTION VOL 3 TP

TMNT: LAST RONIN — LOST YEARS #3

TMNT: LAST RONIN — LOST YEARS DIRECTOR’S CUT #1

Story: Kevin Eastman, Tom Waltz | Art:  Ben Bishop | Art/Cover: SL Gallant | $5.99

With the highly debut of TMNT: The Last Ronin — Lost Years, IDW has also announced an expanded Director’s Cut edition of the miniseries’ first issue, which will be available in April. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin—Lost Years #1 Director’s Cut will feature never-before-seen supplemental materials from legendary TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman, as well as series artists Ben Bishop and SL Gallant.

“The creation of the Last Ronin Universe with Peter Laird and Tom Waltz has truly been an amazing journey through and through,” says Eastman, “and one of the best parts has been all the nooks and crannies we left open to go back and explore, given the chance. Lost Years is the first trip back. It has been incredible, and with the Director’s Cut, you’ll get to see a bit more of that world.”

For fans hungry for more insight into the creative process behind Last Ronin’s runaway success, Lost Years Director’s Cut offers an exclusive look at the concept’s evolution from a speculative draft composed by Eastman and Laird in the nascent days of TMNT’s indie comics era to a New York Times best-selling, internationally beloved phenomenon, as well as the new, expansive universe that has emerged as a result.

“Just like with TMNT: The Last Ronin, there is a ton of development work taking place on Lost Years that is just as entertaining and exciting as the story being told in the comics,” said Waltz. “In particular, the art designs — both characters and settings — have been a joy to watch unfold, and I couldn’t be happier that our many loyal fans will get a chance to peek at the amazing work being done behind the scenes.”

Springing from a lost 1987 storyline by TMNT co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, The Last Ronin tells the heartrending revenge story of a sole, shrouded Turtle in a dark, possible future, undertaking a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends. The kinetic layouts from Eastman, atmospheric illustrations from Isaac & Esau Escorza and Ben Bishop, thrilling script full of surprises from longtime TMNT scribe Tom Waltz, and bold hues from colorist Luis Antonio Delgado instantly resonated with fans and critics alike. Debuting in October 2020 as a quarterly periodical in a prestige oversized format, The Last Ronin took the comic world by storm, eventually leading to over 840,000 units of the individual comic books in print and New York Times best seller status for its hardcover collection with more than 125,000 copies sold.

TMNT ONGOING #139

IMAGE COMICS

3KEYS TP

AMBASSADORS #3 (OF 6)

BLOOD-STAINED TEETH VOL 2: DRIP FEED TP

DEAD ROMANS #2 (OF 6)

DEEP CUTS #1 (OF 6)

Story: Kyle Higgins, Joe Clark | Art: Danilo Beyruth | Cover: Chris Brunner | $5.99

Radiant Black writers Kyle Higgins and Joe Clark team up with an all-star cast of best-selling artists for the forthcoming Deep Cuts. This miniseries will feature six double-length issues and will launch in April from Image Comics.

The artists on deck for each issue include Danilo Beyruth, Helena Masellis, Diego Greco, Ramón K Pérez (Stillwater), Juni Ba (Monkey Meat), and Toby Cypress (The Gravedigger’s Union) with all issues colored by Igor Monti (Radiant Black, Inferno Girl Red, Supermassive). The covers will all be connecting artwork by Chris Brunner and Rico Renzi and will span 60 iconic years of music history.

"Joe and I first met in high school, playing in too many bands, jazz groups and chamber ensembles to name, and became close friends through our love of comic books, film and music," said Higgins in an exclusive on the announcement with CBR. "We've collaborated on many projects over the years, but Deep Cuts is on a different level. This isn't an academic look at Jazz and American music but instead a story spanning 60 years, exploring the people and the deeply human connections in music and culture that ultimately inspire each new generation."

Bonus backmatter material for each Deep Cuts issue will also include lead sheets of original songs by Chicago jazz composers, inspired by and connected to each issue’s story.

Clark added: "Deep Cuts imagines characters on the periphery who, in spite of their circumstances, find the courage to face the unknown and play an important part in the landscape of American music — even if they don’t know it," said Clark. "Our six-issue series begins in New Orleans and jumps through the decades, to new cities and new protagonists, and our amazing team of artists reflects that breadth and scale. Getting to work with Kyle and this insanely talented team has been so creatively fulfilling and I can’t wait for us to share this story."

Inspired by real events, Deep Cuts tells stories of the interconnected struggle, joy and hope in jazz as well as the (sometimes) stray connections that ultimately inspire each new generation.

Deep Cuts #1 is set in New Orleans, 1917. In the city’s bustling red-light district, a young clarinet player lands a job with his hero — but he’ll soon discover there’s more to the music business than playing the right notes.

• Maybe "Never meet your heroes" wasn't an expression yet in 1917.

IMAGE 30TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY #12 (OF 12)

INDIGO CHILDREN #2

KAYA #7

KILLADELPHIA #30

LOCAL MAN #3

LOVESICK #7 (OF 7)

PLUSH #6 (OF 6)

SPAWN SCORCHED #17

STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PEREZ VOL 3 TP

TORRENT #3

VANISH #6

WHAT’S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #12

MARVEL COMICS

ADAM WARLOCK STRANGE TALES #178 FACSIMILE EDITION

ALIEN #1

Story: Declan Shalvey | Art: Andrea Broccardo | Covers: Dike Ruan, Declan Shalvey, Gabriele Dell’otto | $4.99

In 2021, Marvel Comics dared to venture into the terrifying, unrelenting world of the ALIEN and explore never-before-seen corners of the iconic horror/science-fiction franchise to the delight of longtime fans and newcomers! This bold age of ALIEN comics storytelling will continue this April with an all-new ongoing ALIEN series by superstar creators Declan Shalvey and Andrea Broccardo. The pair will continue the riveting work that Phillip Kennedy Johnson and artists Salvador Larroca and Julius Ohta began as they uncover dark new horrors of the Alien mythos. This exciting new chapter of the ALIEN legacy will introduce a new cast of characters on a remote world in search of a groundbreaking scientific breakthrough. They’ll have to quickly decide if their mission is worth it when night falls and they find themselves hunted by the legendary Xenomorph!

Scientist Batya Zahn will do just about anything to get her family off the icy moon where they’ve been conducting research on water conservation. But there’s more than glacial springs to find in this forgotten corner of the galaxy. When they discover an extraordinary organism buried in the ice, it won’t take long for tensions to heat up. What is hidden in the snow comes forth in the thaw …and no one will be welcoming this spring.

"It's incredibly exciting to take on such a brilliant franchise ... the potential for great stories is limitless,” Shalvey said. “I feel like the themes from the films remain quite relevant to today, which makes me feel like we're able to tell contemporary stories set in that iconic universe. I'm very much hoping to channel the mood and atmosphere of those films while doing something new and Andrea has done an incredible job of putting the reader in that recognizable world. With this new series, I think we have a really interesting addition to the lore of Alien.”

ALL-OUT AVENGERS: TEACHABLE MOMENTS TP

AVENGERS BEYOND #2 (OF 5)

BETSY BRADDOCK: CAPTAIN BRITAIN #3

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #12

Story: Tochi Onyebuchi | Art/Cover: R.B. Silva | Teen+ | $3.99

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #12, Part two of COLD WAR, White Wolf has used the power granted him by Bucky Barnes to take control of Dimension Z and unleash its creatures onto the Captains America. Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers are prepared to fight their way through the onslaught, but the Outer Circle has more stakes in this fight than our heroes realize. Can Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers agree on their priorities before they fall to this new threat? And what exactly does Bucky Barnes intend to do to Ian Rogers?

• Cold War Part 2

CLOBBERIN TIME #2 (OF 5)

COSMIC GHOST RIDER BY DONNY CATES TP 

DAREDEVIL #10

DEADPOOL #6

DEADPOOL AND CABLE OMNIBUS HC

DOCTOR STRANGE #2

FANTASTIC FOUR BY MILLAR & HITCH OMNIBUS HC

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: BANE OF BLASTAAR #1

HULK #14

Story/Art: Ryan Ottley | Teen+ | $3.99

In the pages of Donny Cates and Ryan Ottley’s action-packed run of HULK, Bruce Banner has jetted off to the far reaches of space and found a new home for himself — an entire planet of Hulk-like creatures thriving under the heat of a gamma star! On this Hulk Planet, Bruce is worshipped and enjoying a peace he’s never known … but where the Hulk goes, destruction follows. TITAN, the deadliest Hulk in Marvel Comics history, refuses to be suppressed any longer, and Bruce is about to pay a terrible price for believing he was ever in control. Written and drawn by Ottley, the breathtaking finale to this dramatic new HULK saga will be told this April in HULK #14, and fans can expect surprise revelations and shocking twists that will smash open the way to what’s next for the character. 

Titan is now in control, and his endless rage may destroy Hulk Planet. Within the remaining fragments of the Mind Palace, Bruce Banner must reckon with the harm he has inflicted on the Hulk if either of them are to have any chance of regaining control and saving the planet.  But Bruce knows better than anyone that once a part of the Hulk has unlocked itself, there’s no closing that door ever again…

“It’s been so much fun to finally tackle working on the HULK. And being able to write the last four issues of this arc and bring some story elements to fruition was such a challenge but I’ve enjoyed it the whole way,” Ottley said. “Drawing comics is what I’m used to, writing is a whole different animal, but doing both jobs was great and makes me want to do it more often! Feels sad to wrap up the arc and move on, but it’s definitely one of my favorite comic experiences. Hulk will always be one of my favorite Marvel heroes. And now with Titan added to the rogues gallery, hopefully we’ll see him again someday in all his fury and glory!”

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #5

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art: Juan Frigeri | Cover: Kael Ngu | Teen+ | $3.99

THE WHITE QUEEN JOINS THE GOLDEN AVENGER FOR AN IRON-CLAD NEW ERA!

This April, Emma Frost joins the cast of Gerry Duggan and Juan Frigeri’s INVINICIBLE IRON MAN to pull Tony Stark out from rock bottom!

• You'd think both of these sluts — and I mean that in the nicest way — would know better than to get involved with each other. It's going to be a race to see who dumps whom first.

MARY JANE AND BLACK CAT #5 (OF 5)

MIDNIGHT SUNS TP

MIRACLEMAN: MARVEL TALES #1

MONICA RAMBEAU: PHOTON #5

ROCKET RACCOON: MARVEL TALES #1

SINS OF SINISTER: DOMINION #1

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Lucas Werneck & Paco Medina | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Teen+ | $5.99

See the insane outcome of seven trillion deadly sins in SINS OF SINISTER: DOMINION #1! A thousand years of hell and damnation comes to end with the loudest scream in history and for the truly guilty, there is no escape. Can the future change the present, or will we just make all the same mistakes again? Either way, the present will have to live with the future's sins.

• "Sins of Sinister" tie-in.
  • Man, there's a lot of  the always irritating Mister Sinister in the X-books these days. Glad I'm not reading them.

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER — BLACK WHITE AND RED #1 (OF 4)

Story: Jason Aaron, Peach Momoko & Torunn Grønbekk | Art: Leonard Kirk, Peach Momoko & More | Cover: Alex Maleev | Teen | $4.99

Announced earlier today on StarWars.com, some of Darth Vader’s most intense battles and most terrifying pursuits will be revealed this April in STAR WARS: DARTH VADER — BLACK, WHITE & RED!

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER — BLACK, WHITE & RED will be the latest in Marvel’s BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD line, the series that spotlights deadly characters such as  Wolverine, Elektra, and Deadpool and showcases their most shocking adventures in stunning black, white, and RED! Readers will see Vader unleashed like never before in tales of terror set throughout the Dark Lord of the Sith’s brutal history!

The stories that await in STAR WARS: DARTH VADER — BLACK, WHITE & RED will be crafted by an all-star lineup of comics talent including Jason Aaron! The superstar New York Times bestselling writer who helped launch Marvel’s current Star Wars comics to great success in 2015 and penned some of Vader’s most iconic comic book moments along the way, returns to a galaxy far, far away! Aaron will team up with fellow Star Wars mastermind Leonard Kirk for a rousing saga that will span all four issues. The debut issue will also include a story written and drawn by visionary creator Peach Momoko in her first-ever interior work for a Star Wars comic and mark the Star Wars debut of acclaimed writer Torunn Grønbekk.

" ‘All I am surrounded by is fear. And dead men.’ That moment from ‘Vader Down’ is still one of my favorite things I've written during my time at Marvel,” Aaron told StarWars.com. “I loved getting to let Darth Vader cut loose with all his power in such an epic way. And I couldn't pass up the chance to revel in the dark side again and put Vader in an even more perilous situation... and then see how he carves his way out.”

“This is a project we’ve been waiting to do for a while and we’ve got more amazing talent lined up that I can’t wait to announce,” Editor Mark Paniccia said. “It’s such a thrill to use this unique storytelling approach on one of the greatest villains in the galaxy.”

STRANGE ACADEMY: FINALS #6

STRANGE VOL 2: DOCTOR STRANGE OF DEATH TP

THOR #33

THOR EPIC COLLECTION: EVEN AN IMMORTAL CAN DIE TP

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR II #2 (OF 5)

WASP #4

X-TERMINATORS TP

MORE COMICS

ACG COLLECTED WORKS ADVENTURES INTO UNKNOWN VOL 20 SOFTEE

ACTION TANK VOL 2 #1

• For kids.

ALLEY OOP AND TRAIL OF SWAMP FOX TP

• Heads up, comic strip collectors!

BEHOLD BEHEMOTH #5 (OF 5)

BEST OF ILLUSTRATORS QUARTERLY 10TH ANNIVERSARY SC

BLACK CAT SOCIAL CLUB TP

Story: Christopher Painter | Art/Cover: Bob Quinn | Humanoids | $19.99

The story of three punk rock witches, Alice, Hazel and Maggie, who cast spells with their songs to battle corporate demon jerks, defeat rival witch bands, save the world and get to the next gig.

Black Cat Social Club have been at this "band thing" for quite a while, with limited success. (Bummer.) Despite their kick-ass punk rock skills (and a little songcasting magic), these witchy women have been struggling to reach their big break. Discouraged, bassist Hazel sells her soul to a demon for more magical power, prompting singer/lead guitarist Alice to step in and assume the debt herself! Plus side, the band is killing it at their shows now. Downside? They may literally be killing the entire world by fueling these corporate demons' evil plans, which for sure involve brimstone, monsters ... you know, the works!

Can the band stop the apocalypse? Is drummer Maggie's songwriting, uh, "technique" the key? Will the demon Stan ever shut up?! If you've ever wished Josie and the Pussycats had more demons, or Buffy was fronting a three-piece rock band, you've found your next favorite book in Black Cat Social Club!

• I always knew it was going to be musicians that destroy the world!

BLADE RUNNER 2039 #4

Writer(s): Mike Johnson | Artist(s): Andres Guinaldo  | Colorist: Marco Lesko | Covers: Alan Quah, Veronica Fish, Syd Mead | Publisher: Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

ASH MEETS HER MOST DANGEROUS FOE YET: LUV, NIANDERWALLACE’S ‘FIRST ANGEL’-YEARS BEFORE SHE MENACES DETECTIVE K IN BLADE RUNNER 2049.

Ash, Isobel and Hythe face off against Luv, Niander Wallace's deadly Replicant Blade Runner, as the first arc of BLADE RUNNER 2039 draws to an end.

• Why are they shouting at us?

BULLS OF BEACON HILL #4

BY THE HORNS DARK EARTH #8

CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN MAGAZINE #37

CATEGORY ZERO CONFLICT #5 (OF 5)

CHARISMA’S TURN HC

Story: Monique Couvson | Art: Amanda Jones | New Press | $19.99

From the award-winning author of Pushout, an inspiring graphic novel about what can happen when Black girls are given the opportunity to find their genuine power.

Charisma's Turn is a graphic novel that follows the dynamic story of Charisma, a Black high school student who is grappling with mounting pressures from home and school. When frustrations with her family intersect with a conflict at school, she reaches a crossroads, facing a choice that could change her future.

Featuring vibrantly illustrated art from Amanda Jones and a foreword by poet, artist and arts educator Susan Arauz Barnes, this book will appeal to teens, parents, educators, librarians and more. Charisma's Turn exemplifies how Black girls can be truly empowered to reach their full potential when they have supportive educators and community members in their corner.

CIH PRESENTS NEW VARKS ONE SHOT

• New Gods #1 homage

COMICS ART IN CHINA SC

Story: John A Lent, Xu Ying | University Press of Mississippi | $30.00

In the most comprehensive and authoritative source on this subject, Comics Art in China covers almost all comics art forms in mainland China, providing the history from the 19th-century to the present as well as perspectives on both the industry and the art form. Winner of the International Convention of Asia Scholars 2019 Book Prize — Best Art Publication.

• Looks interesting.

DAHLIA IN THE DARK #5 (OF 6)

DIARY OF AN 8-BIT WARRIOR VOL 4: BATTLE FOR DRAGON GN

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #587

DOOR TO DOOR NIGHT BY NIGHT #5

DREAM MASTER #1 (OF 5)

Story: Jonathan Hedrick | Art: LUIGI BARRICELLI | Cover: Tiago Da Silva | Black Box | $6.99

There is a forgotten paladin who protects us from our nightmares while we sleep. Without him, we may never wake up again. He is the Dream Master. His curse is to guard our unconscious bodies from an evil entity who wishes to enter our reality, collapsing it for all eternity. Don't miss out on another chance at Issue #1!

DUNE: HOUSE OF HARONNEN #4 (OF 12)

EXCITING COMICS #33

FLESH-EATING CHEERLEADERS FROM OUTER SPACE #6

GOLD DIGGER #298

GRIM #10

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #71

HAWK THE SLAYER: WARGHT FOR ME IN NIGHT TP

Story: Garth Ennis | Art: Henry Flint | Cover: Greg Staples | Rebellion / 2000AD | $24.00

The graphic novel sequel to the classic fantasy movie, written by Garth Ennis and drawn by Henry Flint! Years after the defeat of Voltan, Hawk is still wary of the return of the Black Wizards, and so The Table of Five gathers once more; Hawk, Gort, Crow, and the Witch, are joined by Bella and a young bard called Wain, who wishes to turn their adventure into a new saga. The story of the cult classic film continues with this comic book sequel, prefaced by an adaptation of the film itself, so that no reader is left behind. This is sword-and-sorcery epic will leave readers astonished with both the revelations and the action contained within.

• I didn’t know there was a movie, much less a sequel. At least it’s Garth Ennis.

HERE COMES CALICO #1 (OF 8)

Story: H.H. German | Art: Javier Orabich | Cover: Garnabiel | Sigma Comics | Mature | $2.99

There was once a man walking around the streets of New York City with big guns and a skull on his chest. Hector Gil makes him look like Gandhi. The CALICO gets intel on people who abuse and slaughter animals. He puts an end to it. Permanently. Explicit content.

• I simply cannot find cats scary. I can't. 

HITLER BY SHIGERU MIZUKI (NEW PTG) GN

HOLLOWED #2

HORROR COMICS #22

JAMES BOND ARCHIVES: NO TIME TO DIE EDITION HC

Taschen America LLC | $80.00

"Bond, James Bond." Since Sean Connery uttered those immortal words in 1962, the most dashing secret agent in the history of cinema has been charming and thrilling audiences worldwide.  EON Productions opened their archives of photos, designs, storyboards, and production materials to editor Paul Duncan, who spent two years researching over one million images and 100 filing cabinets of documentation. The result is the most complete account of the making of the series, covering every James Bond film ever made, beginning with Dr. No (1962) and ending with No Time To Die (2021), including the spoof Casino Royale (1967) and Never Say Never Again (1983). The updated edition includes exclusive photography and new interviews with Daniel Craig, director Cary Fukunaga, producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, and many others, revealing the full story behind the making of the emotionally charged No Time To Die.

• Tempted.

JUDGE DREDD COMPLETE CASE FILES VOL 41 TP

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #453

JUNGLE COMICS #15

KETTLE HARBOR GN

Story: Kyle Vingoe-Cram | Art: Kyle Vingoe-Cram | Conundrum Comics | $25.00

In this debut graphic novel from Nova Scotian cartoonist Kyle Vingoe-Cram, a woman visits her estranged cousin in a town on the muddy banks of the Fundy coast, a magical place where they spent summers as children. Once tied at the hip, the two cousins, Andrea and Brendan, awkwardly reconnect over nostalgic hiking trips and retro video games. Meanwhile Brendan's husband Michael works on the premiere of a new play at the local theater. As he struggles with the play, he must also care for his mother, the renowned playwright, who is suffering from early dementia. Pushing the boundaries of visual storytelling, Vingoe-Cram plays with the reliability of memory and the cascading effects of trauma through bursting geological panels and pools of negative space.

LAST COMICS ON EARTH GN

LOVECRAFT: UNKNOWN KADATH #8

MARVEL ILLUSTRATED GUIDE SPIDERVERSE HC

Story: Marc Sumerak | Art: Various | Insight Editions | $34.99

Take a tour through the colorful worlds of Marvel's Spider-Verse in this comprehensive guidebook detailing the lives of its many web-slingers. Follow Gwen Stacy-better known as Ghost-Spider-as she jumps between dimensions visiting the countless friendly (and some not-so-friendly) neighborhood Spider-folk whom she has met in her adventures across the Marvel Multiverse. From Peter Parker to Miles Morales, from Spider-Ham to Spider-Man 2099, more than 60 of Gwen's iconic wall-crawling colleagues are profiled here, each illustrated with amazing original art. Thrilling and vibrant, this arachnophile's treasury is a must-have collectible for every Spider-fan!

• So many Spider-people. So many.

MILES MORALES: SUSPENDED HC (Novel)

MONEY SHOT COMES AGAIN #1

Story: Tim Seeley | Art: Gisele Lagace | Colors: Carlos Badilla Z | Letters: Crank! | Design: Tim Daniel | Covers: Gisele Lagace, Tim Seeley & Tim Daniel | $4.99

For those not familiar with the original Money Shot, the series is set in a futuristic version of Earth where humanity has just made first contact with alien life. Unfortunately, these aliens quickly realize they want nothing to do with our dysfunctional civilization. In order to find her dream of venturing into the stars and discovering strange new worlds, physicist Dr. Christine Ocampo crowdfunds a space expedition by luring subscribers with the promise of livestreaming the crew's sexual encounters. Hey, whatever gets the job done.

The original Money Shot series ran for 15 issues and was collected in three trade paperback volumes. Original writer Tim Seeley returns for this sequel, and he'll be joined by newcomer artist Gisele Lagace.

The XXXplorers are back and on their hands and knees for the good of humanity! When the giant-ass space jellyfish who run the ordered universe arrive on earth, the porn-stars-cum-science explorers must put away grudges, crushes and side hustles to once again take one or two or three for the team. Begins an epic new arc, which takes aim at dumb billionaires and bad optics, and guests stars a LEGENDARY underground comix heroine! NEW ARTIST Gisele Lagace puts her sexy spin on the book!

An epicly sexy new arc begins, which takes aim at dumb billionaires and bad optics, and guest stars a LEGENDARY underground comix heroine!"

Vault Comics announces a special appearance from the legendary adult underground comix character, Cherry Popstar, as drawn by beloved Canadian artist Gisele Lagace (Ménage à 3), who steps into artist duties on this new arc. 

Tim Seeley says “CHERRY comix were a formative force for me. They were the forbidden fruit on the top shelf of the comic store, the little piece of subversive history to be found while thumbing long boxes. Larry Welz's eternal balance of sexy and satirical helped me realize what an adult comic could be. It's with great reverence that we welcome Cherry Popstar to the pages of Money Shot for our tale of billionaire greed and tech's obsession with stealing art from humanity.”

“Erotica has always been an integral part of comics” adds Vault’s Editor-in-Chief Adrian Wassel. “The history of erotica comics is rich and lovely — a story of artists rebelling against shame and bigotry, demonstrating in the pages themselves and the audiences they've found that beauty exists in sex and romance of all sorts. Money Shot has continued that proud tradition of sex positivity. Here is a series, going on its fourth adventure into the world, that's not actually porn, even if it's about porn. Money Shot is more interested in warmth and humor than what's under the underpants. And that's the great trick of Money Shot: it sounds a whole lot dirtier than it is. Don't get me wrong, it's plenty cheeky (you'll see!), but it's a story about oddballs, a bunch of overly smart scientists who are probably the least emotionally equipped people on planet earth to be undressing in front of, well, an audience a whole lot bigger than just planet earth. And so, finally, it's about how these people come to respect themselves and each other as partners, as friends, and as lovers. What's more human and necessary than that?”

Essay by Tim Seeley

You might be surprised to hear this now, given our epic sales numbers, critical buzz and massive fan following...but about five years ago, no one wanted MONEY SHOT.

The idea for the series came to me one night while watching a Vice News piece about science funding with my lovely wife. The piece described cuts to academic study of everything from physics to vaccines, largely due to a shift in priorities during the notoriously science adverse Trump administration. My wife, in a stroke of brilliance said "They should just do porn in the lab to make money."

And, by god, it was like a bolt of lightning struck me. Or, perhaps, more like getting hit with a big dick in the face. And thus was born the seed what became Money Shot, a concept I then pitched to my good internet friend, comedian Sarah Beattie, and managed to convince my good real life friend Rebekah Issacs into joining. We mashed our resources and ideas together to create an epic 5-page pitch that combined Star Trek and the Fantastic Four with Only Fans.

And everyone turned it down.

At the time I had a deal with DC Comics that meant I had to pass everything I did by them first, ostensibly for Vertigo. Though my editor liked it, he knew it wouldn't pass Warner Brothers. I sent it to Image, and my friends at Top Cow, and my old buddies at Skybound. And Dark Horse too. And everyone came back with the same note: we love it, it's hilarious, but we can't do anything with the word 'porn.'

I had just done a non-comics gig with Vault, and figuring them to be kinda hip young dudes, I mentioned it to Adrian Wassel over beers and tacos. And he said..."Yes, we'll do it." No deliberation. No concern about the politics and satire. No worry about that dirty word 'porn.'

Looking back at now, I see what those other lovely publishers saw. There was a storm coming...a moral panic fueled by the worst elements of Trump's base...reactionary, close-minded, Christian-I-guess? A panic that would fuel fear of drag queen, and trans people, and Stormy Daniels. A distinctly anti-progress movement that was as terrified of books and science as it was of big dicks and lubed buttholes.

But, Vault rode that storm. Went head first into the torrent, and stood by MONEY SHOT through printer problems and internet outrage. And it was worth it. It's a comic series that works, that sells, that makes people laugh, and think, and maybe even get a little turned on. So, it's with great gratitude to Vault's steel balls that I present MONEY SHOT COMES AGAIN--a comic series that pits our explorers against the force that destroyed their world: billionaires. And I thank you, the readers, for wanting it, even when a vocal, ignorant minority has been trying to make you feel bad for who you are and what gets you going. For being curious, and having questions. Because that's what both porn and science are about.

That, and big dicks.

• I seem to remember Cherry Poptart, but I guess she's been renamed for legal reasons. That's a pretty deep cut.
  • Why would aliens want to have sex with us? Even the ones that look like us would probably regard us as animals at best.
  • Here's a preview.

NEIGHBORS #2 (OF 5)

NEVERENDER FINAL DUELS #2 (OF 3)

NINJA HIGH SCHOOL GOLD DIGGER CROSSOVER COLLECTION TP

PARTING WAYS #1

Story: Alex Scherkenbach | Art: Gustavo Novaes | Cover: Rubine Cubiles | Scout Comics | $4.99

NONSTOP. Gabriela is an immigrant with aspirations of achieving her own American Dream. Brandon is an army medic with his sights set on becoming a doctor. These two optimistic and determined souls should be the perfect match ... but doubts and fate confront them at every turn. When each experiences their personal ambitions conflicting with shared dreams, will their love survive? Parting Ways is a romantic drama that challenges expectations about young love as this unique couple navigate who they are both as individuals and as partners.

PLANET COMICS #17

POPSCARS #2 (OF 6)

PS ARTBOOK CLASSICS HORROR COMICS VOL 3 SOFTEE

PS ARTBOOK PLASTIC MAN VOL 1

• If you have DC Archives: Plastic Man Vols 1-8, then you already have the contents of this issue (Plastic Man #1-4). You can probably safely skip the next one, too, as the Archives reprint through Plastic Man #10 (and Police Comics #77). I guess we'll have to depend on Gwandanaland to reprint the Plastic Man stories from Police Comics #78-102.

PS ARTBOOKS SPOOK COMIC #1

Story/Art: John Giunta, Howie Post | PS Artbooks | $19.99

Two crooks rob a store, shoot a policeman and hide out in a cemetery to hide their stolen funds, when suddenly Mr. Lucifer appears, being freed by the crook's actions. Lucifer then frees his evil minions and together all go forth to commit dastardly deeds. By a quirk of fate, Lucifer and his followers trap themselves in a grave of cement. And taking inspiration from the 1920 silent horror film The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, meet Paul Barer. Who visits a mental hospital and interviews a patient, who says he was turned into a "living corpse" and used as a stage performer abducting celebrities who were then put into a trance and displayed in a wax museum! Reprints 1946's Spook Comics #1.

• There are those that say this is the first horror comic book. Of course, there are those who say the Earth is flat. You can’t believe everything you hear.

PS ARTBOOKS BLACK MAGIC VOL 1 SOFTEE

• I seem to remember having this in another format somewhere.

PS ARTBOOKS BLUE BOLT #108 FACSIMILE EDITION

PS ARTBOOKS BLUE BOLT #110 FACSIMILE EDITION

PS ARTBOOKS BLUE BOLT #116 FACSIMILE EDITION

PS ARTBOOKS CLASSICS HORROR COMICS VOL 3 HC/SLIPCASE

PS ARTBOOKS SCREAM MAGAZINE #3

PUNCHLINE #14

QUEEN IN COMICS HC

Story: Emmanuel Marie | Art: Sophie Blitman | Fantagraphics | 176 pages | $27.99

“I won’t be a rock star. I will be a legend.” — Freddie Mercury

Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon, and Freddie Mercury form one of the greatest rock bands in the world.

Under the leadership of its charismatic singer, Queen is a planetary success for each hit with its decadent shows, inimitable aesthetics and style.

"Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are the Champions," "Don't Stop Me Now" or even "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" are just some of the hits! Discover the great stories and little secrets surrounding the legend!

RED WINTER FALLOUT #4 (OF 4)

SACRED LAMB GN

SAP HUNTERS HC

Story: Laurent Genefort | Art: Alexandre Ristorcelli | Humanoids | $24.99

Through the branches of the gigantic World Tree, Pierig searches for the source of the malevolence that poisons the sap.

The colossal branches of the World Tree are home to many diverse clans of people, each living among their tier. When Pierig, a Sap Diviner, is captured by the Bellicose clan for his rare skills, he learns that the World Tree is dying and its nourishing sap, the fuel for each of these communities, is being poisoned... Accompanied by three warriors, Pierig is forced to trace the origin of the evil that is eating away at the plant titan through each of its levels, and down to the very base if necessary. But along his journey, issues deeper than the root of this sickness begin to surface, putting everything Pierig knew to be true into question.

SCREEM MAGAZINE #41

SERENO #2

SEVEN YEARS IN DARKNESS #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Joseph Schmalke | CEX PUBISHING | $4.99

The Academy of Black Magic has reopened its doors for the first time in 200 years! Seventy-two children will walk through the Academy doors for freshmen year. But only seven will graduate and walk out alive! Their seven-year journey starts here, in this dark and sweeping fantasy epic from acclaimed comics creator Joe Schmalke!

• Nice cover.

SILENCE #1

Story: Devin Kraft | Art/Cover: Devin Kraft | Literati Press | $4.99

In this extraordinary Rock 'n' Roll/Mythology mashup, Johanna Jones returns to her hometown of Anthem, a down-on-its-luck shipping town, to discover the ship her father sailed on has gone missing. She ends up aboard a yellow submarine named the Heart of Gold, headed directly into Hades' Hexagon to find the missing crew, accompanied by her childhood best friend, a rich young addict, and a punk legend.

SILVER AGE CLASSICS SPACE WAR VOL 4 HC/SLIPCASE/SOFTEE

STAR WARS ARCHIVES EPISODES I-III 1999 2005 40TH ANNIV HC

STAR WARS TIMELINE HC

STRONTIUM DOG: SEARCH AND DESTROY VOL 2 HC

SUCCUBUS AND HITMAN VOL 4 GN

SULFUR WELLS #6

TALES FROM NOTTINGHAM #3

TALES OF ETERNIA: HUNT FOR MOSS MAN SC (Novel)

TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #139

THE EXILED #3 (OF 6)

TO THE DEATH WITH SLIPCASE VOL 2 GN

TROJAN #4 (OF 4)

USHER OF THE DEAD: EVIL MEN DO ONE-SHOT

Story: Keith Rommel | Art/Cover: Jonnuel Ortega | Blood Moon Comics | $4.99

Sariel is the Angel of Death. This is what happens when a serial killer becomes the target of his scrutiny. His judgment is swift and harsh, making the killer seem tame.

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) VOL 2 TP

W.E.B. DU BOIS: SOULS OF BLACK FOLK GRAPHIC INTERPRETATION

Story: W.E.B. Du Bois, Paul Buhle | Art: Paul Peart-Smith | Rutgers University Press | $19.95

Peart-Smith's graphic adaptation provide historical and cultural contexts that bring to life the world behind Du Bois' words. Readers will get a deeper understanding of the cultural debates The Souls of Black Folk was engaging in, with more background on figures like Booker T. Washington, the advocate of black economic uplift, and the Pan-Africanist minister Alexander Crummell. This beautifully illustrated book vividly conveys the continuing legacy of The Souls of Black Folk, effectively updating it for the era of The 1619 Project and Black Lives Matter.

WITCHES OF WORLD WAR II GN

Story: Paul Cornell | Art/Cover: Valeria Burzo | TKO Studios | $16.99

In the darkest hours of World War II, Doreen Valiente (then known as Doreen Dominy), an expert on British folklore and the occult, is approached by British intelligence at Bletchley Park who tell her they know she's a witch ... and that's how she can best serve her country. Together with the "most evil man in the world," a hard-nosed white witch, the grizzled founder of Wicca, and a professional exorcist and con man, Valiente will travel deep into the heart of Nazi-occupied Europe and gamble her life, her belief, and her powers on a mission to help capture Rudolf Hess, second in command to Adolf Hitler himself.

• If you think about it, witches really would dislike Nazis. 

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #129

WORLD WAR 3 RAID ON TOKYO #4 (OF 5)

YEAR ZERO VOL 0 TP

Story: Daniel Kraus Art: Goran Sudzuka, Miroslav Mrva | Cover: Kaare Andrews | AWA | Mature | $9.99

In this action-packed prelude to the hit series, acclaimed horror writer Daniel Kraus (George Romero's The Living Dead, The Autumnal) unveils four globe-spanning tales from the earliest days of the zombie apocalypse when even the wildest rumors couldn't measure up to the horror to come. A streetwise Russian cop patrols the back alleys of the opportunistic black market that emerges in response to the crisis ... a North Korean soldier observes strange happenings on the DMZ ... an E.R. nurse in the rural South fights to protect her hospital from threats without and within ... a transgender flight attendant who has observed disturbing clues as she crisscrosses the globe keeps a wary eye on the passenger in seat 23C.

• I find that my favorite zombie stories are from the early days of any given continuity, when people are still horrified at what is occurring. When survivors become hard-bitten zombie killers who stroll through hordes stabbing them in the head, the horror is lost.

MORE MANGA

AYAKASHI TRIANGLE VOL 3 GN

BOYS ABYSS VOL 1 GN

CARDCAPTOR SAKURA CLEAR CARD VOL 13 GN

CUT OVER CRITERIA GN

DAEMONS OF SHADOW REALM VOL 1 GN

DARKSTALKERS FELICIA #1

DISNEY & PIXARS TURNING RED 4 TOWN 4 REAL MANGA GN

EDEN’S ZERO VOL 22 GN

FIRE FORCE VOL 32 GN

FREE LIFE FANTASY ONLINE IMMORTAL PRINCESS VOL 3 GN

GIRL FROM OTHER SIDE SIUIL RUN DLX ED OMNIBUS VOL3 HC

HAUNTED BOOKSTORE GATEWAY TO PARALLEL UNIVERSE VOL 3 GN

HEROIC LEGEND OF ARSLAN VOL 17 GN

I WAS REINCARNATED AS 7TH PRINCE VOL 5 GN

ICEBLADE SORCERER SHALL RULE WORLD VOL 5 GN

JK HARU IS SEX WORKER IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 5 GN

JUJUTSU KAISEN THORNY ROAD AT DAWN GN

KARA GUARDIAN OF REALMS #3 (OF 11)

MANGA Z #10

MY GIRLFRIEND’S CHILD VOL 1 GN

MY LOVEY-DOVEY WIFE IS A STONE-COLD KILLER VOL 4 GN

MY STATUS AS ASSASSIN EXCEEDS HERO VOL 4 GN

OTHERSIDE PICNIC VOL 4 GN

PHANTOM OF IDOL VOL 5 GN

PLAN 59 FROM OUTER SPACE #2 (OF 3)

REINCARNATED AS A SWORD VOL 10 GN

SHANGRI LA FRONTIER VOL 5 GN

SUPER HXEROS VOL 10 GN

SUPPOSE A KID FROM LAST DUNGEON MOVED VOL 8 GN

YAKUZA REINCARNATION VOL 5 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I didn't care much for the New 52 Green Arrow. This is still him, right?"

Couldn't tell ya. I didn't care for the New 52 period.

MIRACLEMAN: MARVEL TALES #1

Hey, whatever happened to Gaiman's "Silver Age"? That's not finished yet, is it?

I guess you didn't point out the Infinity Gauntlet homage cover (Money Shot) because it was too obvious...?

• Apparently Green Arrow was last seen during the recent "Dark Crisis".  For some reason he has not returned with the other members of the JLA, and this new series will address his whereabouts.

Far as found out, this is indeed still the New 52 version, although he has since become aware of the DC multiverse.

• Hey, whatever happened to Gaiman's "Silver Age"? That's not finished yet, is it?

Diamond says issue #5 is due May 10, and lists two more issues in June and July.

I guess you didn't point out the Infinity Gauntlet homage cover (Money Shot) because it was too obvious...?

I just plain forgot!

Far as found out, this is indeed still the New 52 version, although he has since become aware of the DC multiverse.

Thanks!

• This just in:

WORLD OF ARCHIE DIGEST #129

11035616901?profile=RESIZE_710xScript: Tom DeFalco, Ian Flynn | Art: Dan Parent, Rex Lindsey, Jim Amash | Colors: Glenn Whitmore | Letters: Jack Morelli
    Cover: Bill Golliher, Rex Lindsey, Rosario “Tito” Peña | 192 pages | $9.99

TWO BRAND NEW STORIES! Then, in “Hiding in Plain Sight,” Wyatt Raymond (aka the Web) is using his sleuthing skills to crack a mystery in Riverdale: the real identity of Pureheart the Powerful!

First, in “Party Panic!,” classic Archie character Ginger Snapp is ecstatic to have convinced her father to let her take the entire summer off. She’s so excited, she wants to throw a party. And every good party needs music, and catering, and all of Riverdale is invited!

11035617082?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617466?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617284?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617300?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617666?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617683?profile=RESIZE_710x11035617876?profile=RESIZE_710x11035618077?profile=RESIZE_710x11035618084?profile=RESIZE_710x11035618260?profile=RESIZE_710x11035618456?profile=RESIZE_710x11035618467?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This is doubly interesting.
    • For one thing, there's a new MLJ superhero story, this one starring The Web. I've mentioned before that Archie's digests are now almost routinely including an MLJ superhero story.
    • The other is a character named Ginger Snapp. I'd never heard of her, but according to "Public Domain Super Heroes," had 27 appearances in the Golden Age. She was head of an Archie series wannabe like That Wilkin Boy, although starring a red-headed girl. I'm always glad to learn something new! Archie also provided Ginger's "Archie Encyclopedia" entries:

11035618874?profile=RESIZE_710x11035619073?profile=RESIZE_710x

• HAWK THE SLAYER: WARGHT FOR ME IN NIGHT TP

I didn’t know there was a movie, much less a sequel. At least it’s Garth Ennis.

I'm sure it doesn't hold up, but I loved this movie as a kid. Just about everyone I know loved Crow the Elf. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

• "Ginger" had longer run than PDSH indicates. In this case "in the Golden Age" appears to mean in issues dated for before 1950, not counting reprints or text stories. The GCD tells me the feature appeared in various places from 1943-1955 (by cover-date), principally in Zip Comics (1943-1944), Suzie Comics (discounting reprints, 1947-1951) and its own title for ten issues (1951-1954).

Not to be confused to with "Ginger Snap", a little girl comedy feature some might recall from Batman #1. (The 1974 tabloid reprint of Batman #1 was one of my first Batman comics.) This was bylined "Ted Raye" there, but it was actually by Bob Kane. It made a fair number of appearances, principally in More Fun Comics.

Some number of teen humour features and funny animal features had runs that put any number of Silver Age stars to shame. When Fantastic Four started in 1961 Marvel's surviving Golden Age titles were Millie the Model, Patsy Walker and Kid Colt. As late as 1973 Marvel's longest-running title in terms of years-on-the-stands was Millie the Model.

• I'm amazed that Bob Kane didn't sign everything in sight.

Luke Blanchard said:

Not to be confused to with "Ginger Snap", a little girl comedy feature some might recall from Batman #1. (The 1974 tabloid reprint of Batman #1 was one of my first Batman comics.) This was bylined "Ted Raye" there, but it was actually by Bob Kane. It made a fair number of appearances, principally in More Fun Comics.

• "Ginger" had longer run than PDSH indicates.

I hesitated before I posted that Ginger Snapp story total, because I know from my own experience how unreliable both PDSH and Don Markstein's Toonopedia can be. For my columns, I would double-check those sources against GCDB, books on my shelf and mycomicshop.com.

• I take it they count the Golden Age as ending with the onset of 1950. I mentioned it because that might affect their other counts.

The other comedy short in Batman #1 was "Major Bigsbe an' Botts". The GCD doesn't list other appearances, which is a pity, as it's fun. Looking at the issue recently I was surprised to see Paul Gustavson's byline. I think him seriously underrated. A lot of his work was very well-written.

• I picked up Deep Cuts. I've read the first handful of pages, and it looks like it'll be right up my alley.

Whatever his current continuity is, Ollie's been pretty much acting like classic Ollie since around Rebirth. The most recent things I read him in prior to Dark Crisis was Justice League and Leviathan. He had his fortune, but was back to being classic Ollie in attitude -- a hotheaded liberal contrarian, in a romantic relationship with Dinah.

This reply was deleted.