EVE: CHILDREN OF THE MOON #3

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #103

POWER RANGERS VOL 5 TP

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #27

STUFF OF NIGHTMARES #4

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #9

DARK HORSE COMICS

THE ART OF HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE HC

This exciting tome brings you an in-depth look at the newest incarnation of Masters of the Universe, bringing a dazzling, future-forward update to the classic world of magic and tech. Featuring a behind the scenes look at all of He-Man’s allies, the evil minions of Skeletor, and the strange, alien landscapes, creatures, and technology of Eternia! This volume also showcases the creation process behind all aspects of the show with never-before-seen material.

The Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe hardcover will be available everywhere books are sold October 18, 2022. It is available for pre-order on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and at your local comic shop and bookstore. The Art of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe will retail for $39.99.

• The contempt for this concept formed when I was the Li'l Capn prevents the Old Captain from ever taking it seriously.

BPRD OMNIBUS VOL 3 TP

BREAK OUT #4

GANTZ OMNIBUS VOL 11 TP

GROO: GODS AGAINST GROO #1 (OF 4)

Story: Sergio Aragonés, Mark Evanier | Art: Sergio Aragonés | Colors: Carrie Strachan | Letters: Stan Sakai | $3.99

Guess Groo's back!

The bumbling barbarian Groo has made quite a name for himself, traveling the land and cleaving a path of destruction and cheese dip. He is either so greatly feared or favored wherever he goes, Groo’s earthly reputation causes a Groo deity to arise in the heavens! While Earthbound Groo hungers, his Divine Groo alter ego unleashes chaos! Plus, Sergio’s legendary back cover Rufferto strips return!

Praise for Groo: Fray of the Gods and Groo: Play of the Gods:

“This fray is fraught with fights, fancy, and fun. Aragones and his collaborators have created another masterpiece guaranteed to please readers of all ages. Highest possible recommendation.” — SciFi Pulse

“Groo is a beloved and wonderful character and Sergio’s work bringing his adventures to life over the years will never stop being excellent.” — PopCult HQ

“Groo’s as good as it’s ever been.” — Slings and Arrows

• I forgot all about Groo, which I remember enjoying about a million years ago. Evidently he's still being published.
  • Here's a preview.

THE WITCHER: THE BALLAD OF TWO WOLVES #1 (OF 4)

Story: Bartosz Sztybor | Art/Cover: Miki Montllo | Variants: Jakub Rebelka, Otto Schmidt, David López | $3.99

Dark Horse Comics and CD Projekt Red present an all-new story following Geralt of Rivia in The Witcher: The Ballad of Two Wolves #1. This new series is written by Bartosz Sztybor (The Witcher: Fading Memories, The Witcher: Witch’s Lament). Sztybor is joined by artist and colorist Miki Montlló, as well as letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou.

Hailed as the greatest monster slayer, the Witcher Geralt is beckoned to the town of Grimmwald. When a strange occurrence stirs murmurs of a werewolf on the prowl, rumors spread about the peculiar arrival of three Piglet sisters. With a grand mystery and a monster to kill, Dandelion may just find the inspiration he needs to write the perfect ballad.

Praise for The Witcher: Witch’s Lament and The Witcher: Fading Memories:

“It is shocking to see just how successful The Witcher can be across so many different mediums. I love this property in video games, television, prose and now I can happily add comics to the list. Sztybor brings a nuanced understanding of The Witcher property that really makes the title stand out.” — Alexander Jones, Multiversity Comics (on The Witcher: A Witch’s Lament)

“The story by Bartosz Sztybor establishes an intriguing mystery and draws upon the mythology of the setting while still being accessible to newcomers who might come into this comic knowing nothing of The Witcher.” — Kabooooom

“The story takes a turn that really is the epitome of a gut punch, but these types of stories are what Witcher does best, and this yet another excellent addition to the franchise.” — ComicBook.com

The Witcher #1 is a strong opening issue, demonstrating that characterization will always trump the violent aspects of the series. With confident writing, and some very fine artwork and coloring, The Witcher #1 is a great place to start for fans of the books and streaming series.” — Major Spoilers

• "It is shocking to see just how successful The Witcher can be across so many different mediums."
  • First, the plural medium is media. Second, to me, it kinda is shocking, or at least surprising. I find the TV show adequately entertaining, but not memorable. (And I will probably depart when Henry Cavill does.) I've got two library editions from Dark Horse of The Witcher comics, but haven't felt stirred to read them. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books. Is that where all this swooning comes from? Tell me, Witcher fans, what is it that makes this series a cut above the jillion other fantasy series?

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE SWAMP THING BY LEN WEIN & BERNI WRIGHTSON HC

• I've got this in too many formats already, thanks.

BATMAN/CATWOMAN HC

• This is the sort of thing I really look forward to now that I no longer chase a continuity that barely exists. It's a standalone story with beloved characters, created by my favorite creators, that I can read once and put on the shelf. I can come back to it if I enjoy it, but otherwise it can be safely forgot. In a sense, it's like the DC Comics of my youth, where nothing ever changed and everything I liked seemed to be drawn by Curt Swan. Every story was pretty much a standalone, that I could remember if I liked it or forget it if it sucked. Right, Mopee?

BATMAN: KILLING TIME HC

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD’S FINEST #10

BATMAN: THE SILVER AGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

Story/Art: Various. Cover: Sheldon Moldoff | $99.99

Join the Caped Crusader and the Boy Wonder as they enter an exciting new era of fun and adventure in the Silver Age. Featuring restored versions of iconic tales such as "The Batwoman," "The Bat-Ape" and "The Rainbow Batman," this omnibus is sure to delight fans of Batman both young and old! Collects stories from BATMAN #101-116 and DETECTIVE COMICS #233-257.

• Whee!
  • It's weird to me that DC considers Batman's Silver Age to begin in 1956 (to me it begins with the "New Look" in 1964), but who cares? At last, DC is beginning the late '50s and early '60s Bat-reprints I've been waiting for my whole life!
  • My Batman collection begins continuously with #160, and my Detectives begin continuously with #322, and that's only a few omnibuses away. I haven't been this excited about "filling in the gaps" since I was haunting flea markets in the '60s looking for ... well, sometimes, these very books!

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #22

BATMAN VS. ROBIN #4

Story: Mark Waid | Art/Cover: Mahmud Asrar | $5.99

Looking ahead to where this exciting, magic-based event series takes readers between now and the new year, a final battle erupts between Batman and Robin at the heart of Lazarus Island. In this penultimate issue, a strange tremor rocks the combatants to their senses.

This isn’t an island at all — it’s a volcano!

With the Devil Nezha pulling the strings and unbelievable transformative power about to explode out into the world, our heroes have no choice but to do the unthinkable — fall back! DC’s battle between father and son goes global as the Earth enters into the Lazarus Planet!

The reviews are rolling in!

Praise for Batman vs. Robin #1

“If this first issue is any indication, the team behind Batman vs. Robin #1 have crafted a dramatic and gleefully fun rivalry that could shake up the larger DC mythos in the process.” — ComicBook.com

“Waid, Asrar, and co. all know what kind of story they’re telling, and lean into the bombastic event elements to great effect.” — The Beat

“It’s not just father versus son … it's father versus son for the fate of the entire DC Universe.” — Newsarama

"Batman vs. Robin promises to be a truly incredible showdown spanning the history of the Dark Knight and DC." — CBR

“If you’re looking for good action and triple-A artwork, look no further than Batman vs. Robin.” — AiPT

“Waid is a master of the DCU, same as he ever was, and I’m expecting this to be an event mini to remember.” — GeekDad

“This is the DC event book to watch through the end of the year. It’s eerie, action packed, and hits all the emotional beats. In other words, a must-read.” — Comicon.com

Batman vs. Robin #1 is captivating from start to finish and will have readers eager for more.” — Comic Watch

• I see Doctor Fate and Spectre on the covers, which always excites me, until I am inevitably disappointed. I know, I know: They have to be hobbled so they don't win on page two, and so the main heroes can be shown to struggle through adversity to win the day. I guess I never will see them unleashed in one of these crossovers. But I sure want to. Even if it does only last two pages!

BOOKS OF MAGIC OMNIBUS VOL 3 HC

CATWOMAN #50

CATWOMAN: LONELY CITY HC

Story/Art: Cliff Chiang | $29.99

Ten years ago, the massacre known as Fool's Night claimed the lives of Batman, The Joker, Nightwing and Commissioner Gordon ... and sent Selina Kyle, the Catwoman, to prison. A decade later, Gotham has grown up — it's put away costumed heroism and villainy as childish things. The new Gotham is cleaner, safer ... and a lot less free under the watchful eye of Mayor Harvey Dent and his Batcops.

It's to this new city that Selina Kyle returns, a changed woman ... with her mind on one last big score: the secrets hidden inside the Batcave! She doesn't need the money — she just needs to know ... who is Orpheus?

Visionary creator Cliff Chiang (Wonder Woman, Paper Girls) writes, draws, colors and letters the story of a world without Batman, where one woman's wounds threaten to tear apart an entire city! It's an unmissable artistic statement that will change the way you see Gotham's heroes and villains forever! Collects CATWOMAN: LONELY CITY #1-4.

• See Batman/Catwoman above.

DARK CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #7 (OF 7)

• An ending! For now.

DC VS. VAMPIRES: ALL-OUT WAR #5 (OF 6)

• This one's not over yet.

DCEASED: WAR OF THE UNDEAD GODS #5 (OF 8)

• This one's not even close.

DEATH OF SUPERMAN 30TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION HC

• Nope.

FLASH #789

GCPD: THE BLUE WALL #3 (OF 6)

HARLEY QUINN VOL 1: NO GOOD DEED TP

HARLEY QUINN: THE ANIMATED SHOW — LEGION OF BATS #3 (OF 6)

NIGHTWING #99

NUBIA: QUEEN OF AMAZONS HC

Story: Stephanie Williams | Art: Alitha Martinez, Mark Morales, John Livesay | Cover: Joshua Sway Swaby | $24.99

Nubia might be queen, but not all Amazons call Themyscira home, which prompts the new monarch to leave Themyscira for the first time in decades to serve her people. Now, as she embarks on her tour through Man's World to show off the newly established sisterhood, she will be met with joy, distrust, and danger. As she travels to the homes of both the Bana-Mighdall and Esquecida tribes, something lurks in the shadows following her every move. A villain from Nubia's mysterious past has been waiting for the day the queen would join the outside world again, and they're ready to make her wish she'd never left paradise!

• I've been immersing myself in the "Wonder" events of the last few years (in collections), and am surprised at how disappointing they are. Maybe I was spoiled by Wonder Woman: Earth One, which had both interesting story concepts and terrific art. The two recent Wonder books Ive read have neither. (I still have hopes for Wonder Girl, up next, and Historia, whenever it gets collected.) I'll likely get this book, to catch up on (or tie up) the Nubia-as-queen-of-Themyscira storyline. I applaud DC for trying to turn Wonder Woman the comic book into Wonder Woman the line of comic books, but they have to do better than bad art and constant talk of feelings. And yes, promote new characters, but do all the old characters have to be remanded to the background? I think Diana, Donna and Cassie get, like, two lines each in the last two collections. And Hippolyta is dead, so she doesn't talk much. It's just Nubia, Philippus and a bunch of newbies.

ROGUES HC

• See my remarks about Batman/Catwoman above. This has a place on my bookshelf next to all those Flash omnibuses and Batman Elseworlds.

STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #2 (OF 6)

STRANGE ADVENTURES TP

SUPERMAN: BIRTHRIGHT — THE DELUXE EDITION HC

• I want certain Superman books on my bookshelf in durable hardcover: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, Superman: Man for all Seasons, Superman: Red Son, All-Star Superman, Man of Steel by John Byrne. Not all of them have been published in HC, so I'm always on the lookout. Is this one a keeper? I vaguely remember reading this in real time, and despite its pedigree (Mark Waid, Leinil Francis Yu), not being all that excited. But I may be thinking of Superman: Earth One or some other disappointing reboot. What did you guys think of this series?

TITANS UNITED: BLOODPACT #4 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DYNAMITE ART OF JAY ANACLETO HC

JENNIFER BLOOD PRESENTS HITWOMAN ONE-SHOT

Story: Fred Van Lente | Art: Robert Carey | Cover: Leirix

Slamming her way out of the pages of the recent Jennifer Blood series, Italian assassin Giulietta Romeo stars in "La Tempesta," a noirish reimagining of the William Shakespeare play The Tempest. Giulietta is being extradited to Italy after the events of the "Bountiful" storyline when her plane is shot down over a remote island in the Atlantic, a former Nazi stronghold that is now the tiny kingdom of a man named Prospero, a former duke of the Naples mobs. His brother, the man who usurped his position, was being extradited on that same plane, and Giulietta finds herself in the middle of a gory blood feud and fighting for her life against Prospero's monstrous servants, Caliban and Ariel.

• Oh no, The Tempest again. What is it about that play that every writer has a modern adaptation lurking in his brain? I do confess to some mild curiosity about the face bandages. Negative Man cosplay?

LADY HEL #4

RED SONJA: BLACK WHITE RED VOL 2 HC

SAVAGE TALES WINTER SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

Story: Scott Wilson, David Avallone | Art: Hamish Munroe-Cook, Eman Cassalos, Mariano Benitiz Chapo, Max Fuchs | Cover: Arthur Suydam | $4.99

Savage Tales is back with four tales of brutality, thrills and spills! This one-shot features art by her two up-and-coming artists from the renowned Kubert School!

This issue's lineup includes:

• "Devil Juice" by Scott Bryan Wilson and Max Fuchs: Draculina finds that to get revenge on an enemy demon, she's first got to go through a wall of ... body-builders?
  • "Crypt Junkies" by Scott Bryan Wilson and Kubert School artist Mariano Benitez Chapo: Vampirella accompanies a reality TV crew to film the opening of a 1,000-year-old sarcophagus ... with unforseen, bloody results!
  • Captain Gullivar Jones in "His War Chapter II" by David Avallone and Kubert School artist Hamish Munro-Cook: More mystery from the journals of Gullivar Jones and his strange relationship with the savage world of Mars!
  • John Carter and Dejah Thoris in "Honeymoon on Mars" by David Avallone and Eman Cassalos: It's a tale of love and adventure featuring the Warlord of Mars and his beautiful mate, Dejah Thoris, on the dying world of Barsoom!

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #8

IDW PUBLISHING

DEAD SEAS #1

IDW is proud to announce the December release of Dead Seas, the highly-anticipated original comic book series by Cavan Scott and Nick Brokenshire. Part Poseidon Adventure, part The Haunting of Hill House, this supernatural thriller reunites the fan-favorite Star Wars writer-and-artist team for a tale of specters, prisoners, pirates and disaster on the open ocean!

In Dead Seas, ghosts are real and very dangerous … but they’re also valuable, their ectoplasm capable of curing countless diseases. There’s only one problem: harvesting the wonder drug can be just as deadly. Prisoner Gus Ortiz is willing to take the risk in return for a reduced sentence — anything to see his daughter again. All it will take is a few months at sea scraping ectoplasm off the walls of the Perdition, a floating prison containing the most vicious ghosts on Earth. Surrounded by dark waters, Gus soon realizes that angry spirits are the least of his worries!

“I grew up obsessed with disaster movies, but there was only one problem: there were never enough ghosts! Dead Seas is my chance to put this terrible wrong right, and who better to team up with than Nick Brokenshire. Working together on Star Wars Adventures: Return to Vader’s Castle, it soon became clear that we share the same ghoulish sense of humor and I knew immediately who I wanted to bring Dead Seas’ tortured spirits to life. Or should that be death?” says Scott.

“I have something of a sea-faring background — my dad was a deep-sea diver, my sister an accomplished sailor, and I enjoy long soaks in a bubble-bath — so the whole sea adventure angle is very appealing to me. Add weird, twisted ghouls and the recipe is delicious, I'd say!” says Brokenshire. “The idea of very flawed individuals finding goodness in themselves in spite of very strange and frightening circumstances is something that I think many of us are drawn to. In the end, we all hope we'll do the right thing when faced with a giant, amorphous, killer-baby-ghost.”

“From the moment Cavan and Nick pitched us Dead Seas, I was hooked. Cavan's a brilliant storyteller, and I’m genuinely terrified for the well-rounded characters in the amazing, action-filled tale that he’s crafted. Not to mention, Nick's artwork has never looked better — the ghost designs are totally off the wall,” says editor Chase Marotz. “We’re absolutely thrilled to see Dead Seas take shape as an IDW Original series”

Dead Seas #1 will be available with three variant covers for fans and retailers to enjoy, including Cover A by Nick Brokenshire, Cover B by Scott’s Star Wars: The High Republic collaborator Ario Anindito, and Cover C by Frazer Irving (Batman & Robin).

• Looks interesting!

INVISIBLE FRONTIER GN

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC — 10TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic — 10th Anniversary Edition revisits the bestselling issue that started it all, written by Katie Cook, illustrated by Andy Price, and colored by Heather Breckel! Ever since their comic book debut, Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity have brought friendship, magic, and fun to comic lovers everywhere. Join them at the very beginning of their decade-long journey with this special reprint issue, with bonus material including a gallery of all eight original covers, an interview with My Little Pony artist and writer Tony Fleecs, and an all-new short from Jeremy Whitley!

“We wanted to pay homage to such a long-standing comic series and take some time to reflect on the past ten years. The 10th Anniversary Edition revisits #1 and includes some bonus content that might just change your perspective on the entire series,” says Farmer.

Like the Little Fillies debut issue, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic 10th Anniversary Edition will be available with multiple cover variants, including Cover A by Amy Mebberson, Cover B by Andy Price, Cover C by Agnes Garbowska, and two special Retailer Incentive variants by Mebberson and Price, respectively.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: SCRAPNIK ISLAND #3

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS — THE ILLYRIAN ENIGMA #1 (of 4)

Following the successful launch of the fan-favorite Paramount+ original series, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds in May, IDW in Partnership with Paramount Consumer Products is excited to announce an all-new tie-in comic book miniseries, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds —The Illyrian Enigma, debuting in December and set between the show’s first season and its eagerly anticipated second season.

The four-issue Illyrian Enigma reunites the acclaimed co-executive producer for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Kirsten Beyer and prolific Star Trek author Mike Johnson, whose recent collaborations include the miniseries Star Trek: Discovery — Adventures in the 32nd Century and Star Trek: Picard — Stargazer. Fan-favorite artist Megan Levens (Star Trek: The Mirror War — Troi, Star Wars Adventures) and colorist Charlie Kirchoff (Star Trek: Year Five) also join the creative team, bringing this far-flung space adventure to vibrant life on the comic page.

In Star Trek: Strange New Worlds — The Ilyrian Enigma, Commander Una Chin-Riley — first officer and helmsman of the U.S.S. Enterprise — stands accused of unlawful genetic modification by Starfleet. Sparing no time, Captain Pike and his crew set out in search of evidence to prove her innocence!

In a joint statement, Johnson, Beyer and Kirchoff say, “The only thing more fun than Strange New Worlds is more Strange New Worlds. We're thrilled to bring fans the first comic book adventure starring everyone's new favorite crew, in an all-new story that picks up where Season One left off. We couldn't be happier that Megan Levens is beaming aboard to join us!”

“What ultimately draws me to any project is the characters, and after only one short season, I'm already so deeply invested in the entire cast of Strange New Worlds,” says Levens. “It's remarkable that they've been able to successfully bring together new interpretations of classic characters we've known and loved for over half a century, and fresh faces that are already as compelling and relatable as their more established crewmates. Bringing this cast onto the comic page for the first time has been a delight for me, both as a Trekkie and as an artist!”

“When Strange New Worlds came out we knew that the show was something special,” says Senior Editor Heather Antos. “We’re thrilled to bring in Kirsten and Mike’s expertise from behind the scenes, as well as an artistic duo who captures the warmth and whimsy of this universe as effortlessly as Megan and Charlie, to explore even stranger new worlds in comics.”

IDW Publishing’s Strange New Worlds tie-in is the latest in a series of well-received Star Trek projects based on Paramount+ streaming series, expanding the scope of such beloved shows as Star Trek: Picard, Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Lower Decks. In addition to the several tie-in miniseries in 2022, IDW recently announced the October launch of its biggest Star Trek comic book initiative yet: an all-new ongoing series, simply titled Star Trek, featuring a new universe of continuity where Benjamin Sisko takes the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise with a crew assembled from many different iterations of Star Trek canon.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds–The Ilyrian Enigma #1 will be available with four cover variants, including Cover A by Megan Levens, Cover B by Jake Bartok, and two retailer incentive editions by Liana Kangas and Malachi Ward, respectively.

• That quiff (see Cover D) really is ridiculous. What I can't imagine is why people who wear their hair in that style think it's attractive. If I had a lot of hair, I would certainly not goose it up into a poncy pomenade. But then again, I don't have a lot of hair, so maybe I'm just jealous.

TMNT: SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES #3

TRVE KVLT #5

IMAGE COMICS

DEADLIEST BOUQUET #5

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH: WILD FICTIONS SPECIAL

James Tynion IV and Martin Simmonds’ popular Bigfoot two-issue The Department of Truth story will return in an extra-length encore reprint titled, The Department Of Truth: Wild Fictions Special. This exciting issue will include The Department of Truth #10-11 which, together, tells the standalone cryptid story fans love. 

The Department Of Truth: Wild Fictions Special provides the perfect jumping on point for readers new to the series as well. "It's impossible to pick a favorite story from the first few years of The Department of Truth, but the one that has brought the most people to my table at convention after convention is 'A Hunter's Story,' which ran over two issues in our second arc," said Tynion IV. "We've spent a lot of time talking about what might be the perfect bite-sized morsel of DOT to help comic shops introduce new readers to our series, and we can think of no better option as we start the drumbeat to The Department of Truth #25."

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #15

HITOMI #3

I HATE FAIRYLAND #2

JUNKYARD JOE #3

KROMA BY LORENZO DE FELICI #2 (OF 4)

Skybound today unveiled a first look at Kroma by Lorenzo De Felici #2, the latest issue of the acclaimed new comic book series being written, drawn, and colored by superstar creator Lorenzo De Felici (Oblivion Song).

After last issue’s shocking final page, Kroma ventures beyond the Pale City into a jungle ruled by gigantic beasts. However, one man lives among them, and he may hold the answers to Kroma’s mysterious past. 

In addition to the main cover by De Felici, the Kroma variant cover program includes two covers by rotating artists, including a colored dressed cover and a 1:10 black & white full art incentive cover, as well as a 1:25 black & white full art incentive cover by De Felici. The Kroma #2 variant lineup also features a variant by Jakub Rebelka (Origins, Judas), available in both full color and B&W versions.

"Kroma #1 introduces readers to a world in which color and meaning are intertwined on every level in a stunning debut." — ComicBook.com  

“A gorgeous, compelling start with a gut punch of cliffhanger — well worth reading.” — The Beat  

• I do like the cover art.

ROGUE SUN #9

SPAWN SCORCHED #13

VANISH #4

VOYAGIS #2

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #53

WHAT'S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #9

MARVEL COMICS

ALIEN #4

AVENGERS FOREVER #12

Story: Jason Aaron | Art/Cover: Aaron Kuder | '70s Connecting Variant Cover By Phil Jimenez | Teen+ | $3.99

The all Steve Rogers Howling Commandos. The interstellar air force that is the Carol Corps. The Star Panther. The God of Fists. The Invincible Ant-Man, Tony Stark. Together, they are the greatest army of Avengers ever assembled. But will they be enough to protect the Avengers Tower at Infinity's End? Because Mephisto has come to claim that tower's secrets, and he's brought an army of his own.

• Avengers Assemble Part 3: The Siege of the Infinity Tower
  • I haven't been buying the Jason Aaron Avengers books, but some of the concepts and covers have been intriguing. I did enjoy his Thor and Doctor Strange. I may be in line for the omnibuses.

BLACK PANTHER #12

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH VOL 1 — HOMELAND TP

DARK WEB: MS. MARVEL #1 (OF 2)

Story: Sabir Pirzada| Art: Francesco Mortarino| Cover: Marco Checchetto

Currently a supporting character in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel will also have a significant story arc during the event in her own limited series, DARK WEB: MS. MARVEL. From Sabir Pirzada, known for his work on Marvel's Voices and Ms. Marvel on Disney+, and artist Francesco Mortarino in his exciting Marvel Comics debut comes a bold and badass new vision of Ms. Marvel! Fresh off her first few weeks working as an intern at Oscorp, Ms. Marvel finds herself as the last line of defense against a bunch of deadly and dangerous experiments going haywire thanks to Maddie and Ben’s demonic machinations! Things get even worse when Kamala finds herself in Limbo, with no choice but to fight her way out!

"I could not be more thrilled to return to Kamala's world after writing her in Marvel's Voices: Identity and getting a chance to help introduce her to the small screen on Disney+," Pirzada told Newsarama. "This time around, Kamala's facing a new challenge: the dangers of Limbo! And a few familiar faces — friends and foes — are bound to make some surprise appearances on this adventure!”

• Dark Web tie-in

FANTASTIC FOUR: LIFE STORY TP

GOLD GOBLIN #2 (OF 5)

Story: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Lan Medina | Cover: Taurin Clarke

Writer Christopher Cantwell and artist Lan Medina continue to explore Norman Osborn’s heroic journey in GOLD GOBLIN #2. The thought-provoking limited series will prove that being a super hero isn’t for everyone. … After facing Chasm in DARK WEB #1, Norman Osborn will have to face another terrifying opponent in this issue who might cut Norman’s new super hero career short!

• Dark Web tie-in

GWENPOOL OMNIBUS HC

KNIGHTS OF PENDRAGON OMNIBUS HC

• I know I have Knights of Pendragon II, because that has Iron Man in it and I remember reading it. I don't remember reading Knights of Pendragon first series. Oh, what the heck, in for a pence, in for a pound.

KNIGHTS OF X TP

LEGION OF X BY SI SPURRIER VOL. 1 TP

MARY JANE BLACK CAT #1 (OF 5)

Story: Jed Mackay | Art: Vincenzo Carratu | Cover: J. Scott Campbell

Face it, readers, you just hit the double jackpot! Mary Jane and Black Cat, two of the greatest loves of Peter Parker’s life, grab the spotlight in an explosive new limited series this December!

The five-issue saga will tie directly into the upcoming Spider-Man/X-Men/Venom crossover DARK WEB, and be written by Jed MacKay. After taking the character of Black Cat on a whirlwind of adventures in recent years in back-to-back solo series and the current Iron Cat limited series, the hit writer will now continue his transformative work on Marvel’s premier super thief, and this time, he’s taken MJ along for the ride! MacKay will be joined by artist Vincenzo Carratù, an up-and-coming talent making his exciting Marvel Comics debut!

Earlier this year, MJ and Felicia joined forces to save Peter in MacKay’s Mary Jane & Black Cat: Beyond #1, an acclaimed one-shot that went on to receive a second printing. With the way Peter’s relationship stands with them in the current run of Amazing Spider-Man, the developments in this series are sure to be even crazier! Set against the twisted backdrop of DARK WEB, Mary Jane Watson and Felicia Hardy find themselves thrown into one another’s paths and then into the demonic dimension of LIMBO! But something has changed with MJ, and she’s not the only one keeping secrets — Felicia’s got a guilty conscience, and it’s playing havoc with their escape plan!

"I've kind of lost track of how many lives Felicia has left at this point, but she keeps coming back — and this time she's brought a friend!” MacKay said. “Getting back to Mary Jane and Black Cat after their one-shot last year has been a delight — and seeing how they've been catching up on all the drama that's happened since then has been, well, catnip."

The team-up series Marvel fans have been waiting for is here! Check out the cover below by J. Scott Campbell, who once again lends his superstar talents to MJ and Black Cat’s saga, and pick up MARY JANE & BLACK CAT #1 when it arrives in December!

• Dark Web tie-in.

MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

NAMOR: CONQUERED SHORES #3 (OF 5)

SABRETOOTH AND EXILES #2 (OF 5)

SHE-HULK BY DAN SLOTT OMNIBUS HC (NEW PTG)

SPIDER-MAN LOST HUNT #2

STRANGE #9

WAKANDA #3 (OF 5)

WOLVERINE #28

X-MEN ANNUAL #1

Story: Steve Foxe | Art: Andrea DiVito | Cover: Stefano Caselli | Teen+ | $4.99

THE NEWEST X-MAN BURNS UP THE SPOTLIGHT!

In a surprising turn of events, Firestar, who had not yet fully embraced Krakoa, was elected to the X-Men at the Hellfire Gala. Her history with her mutant nature is a tumultuous one for many reasons, but her record as a hero is exemplary. Can she wrestle with her past in time to rise to the occasion thrust upon her?

• Homage to X-Men #137, I presume.

MORE COMICS

2 POINT 5 DIMENSIONAL SEDUCTION VOL 4 GN

ABOLITION OF MAN #3 (OF 5)

AFRO SAMURAI VOL 1 GN

Story/Art/Cover: Takashi Okazaki | Titan | Mature | 176 pages | $19.99

In a feudal, futuristic Japan, samurai battle to become No.1 and rule the world, but when his father, who holds the coveted position, is challenged and killed, the young Afro Samurai vows vengeance. Relentlessly pursued by murderous assassins, will he stay alive long enough to keep his promise?

In the first of two volumes, we see the beginnings of young Afro’s quest, his battles with an array of assassins and warlords, that climaxes in the epic confrontation with the powerful Empty Seven Clan and a showdown with an old enemy…

AGGRETSUKO OUT TO LUNCH #4

AIRBOY #52

ALICE IN BORDERLAND VOL 4 GN

APOTHECARY DIARIES VOL 7 GN

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #336

ARGUS #3 (OF 4)

ARTICHOKE TALES GN

Story/Art: Megan Kelso

Prior to cartoonist Megan Kelso's long-awaited 2022 release, Who Will Make the Pancakes, Kelso spent six years creating her first long-form graphic novel, 2010's Artichoke Tales. The book, a fantastic family saga spanning three generations and an entire continent, was a critical smash named to many "Best of 2010" lists. Fantagraphics is proud to bring this perennial classic back in print with a new paperback edition.

Artichoke Tales is a coming-of-age story about a young girl named Brigitte whose family is caught between the two warring sides of a civil war. It takes place in a world that echoes our own, but whose people have artichoke leaves instead of hair. Influenced in equal parts by Little House on the Prairie, The Thorn Birds, Dharma Bums and Cold Mountain, Kelso weaves a moving story about family amid war. Kelso's visual storytelling uniquely combines delicate linework with rhythmic page compositions, creating a dramatic tension between intimate, ruminative character studies and the unflinching depiction of the consequences of war and carnage, lending cohesion and resonance to a generational epic.

The first 150 orders of Artichoke Tales include an exclusive bookplate signed by the author! Pre-order now to claim yours.

• Nothing gets me more excited than a book named for a bitter vegetable.

ASTERIX OMNIBUS PAPERCUTZ EDITION VOL 8 HC

BIDEN'S TITANS VS. DRACULA

• These political parodies are always dopey, no matter whether they praise or pan my personal political convictions. I avoid them strenuously.

BITE MAKER KINGS OMEGA VOL 6 GN

BLADE RUNNER 2029 1-3 BOX SET

BLUE LOCK VOL 4 GN

BONES OF THE GODS #1 (OF 6)

Story: Brenden Deneen | Art/Cover: Mauricio Melo | $4.99

Scout launches its latest high fantasy title! Twenty years after an epic battle between the world's two Gods, civilization has re-emerged from the ashes of that confrontation. The Gods destroyed each other during the epic fight, their shattered bones raining down below. It is said that these bone shards contain incredible power ... if you can find one ... if they even really exist. Esper Haddon is 16 years old and frustrated with her life. She's the daughter of a protective warrior-turned-farmer, but she wishes for something, anything exciting to happen.  However, after she discovers the bone of a God buried on her farm and dark forces come hunting for her, she may soon regret that wish.

BOOGYMAN #4

BREATH OF THE GIANT TP

Story/Art: Tom Aureille | Fairsquare Comics | $19.99

According to legends, the North is the home of Giants whose breath has the power to bring the dead back to life. Sisters Iris and Sophia, decide to go on a quest to steal this breath in order to resuscitate their dearly departed mother. They can count on magic, but above all, they will have to conquer their fears. And who's Fagus, the man following them from a distance? He too, has lost a person dear to his heart and wants to bring them back at all costs. Will he prevent Iris and Sophia from being reunited with their mom? Filled with hope, Breath of the Giant combines Sorcery and Fantasy in a powerful tale from young writer and artist Tom Aureille.

• It seems to me that if there was a way to bring the dead back to life, that it would be a fairly well-trod path, no matter the danger.
  • The art kinda looks geared to kids, but there is no indication of that in the solicits.

CERTAIN SCIENTIFIC RAILGUN VOL 17 GN

COLORLESS VOL 3 GN

COVER THE DEAD WITH LIME #3

CROWBAR 9 80-PAGE GIANT ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Steve McArdle | $9.99

The earth is under siege by an alien force from the unknown. Panic and fear is being fueled by the media. C.R.O.W.BAR 9 has been assembled to investigate a wave of disappearances around the globe. Our only hope lies in these 9 young people with stunning powers and the guts to use them. This 80-page Giant collects all 3 issues (including the previously unpublished #3) from the '90's.

• First: "Panic and fear are being fueled ..." Or, alternatively, "The media is fueling panic and fear." Second, it's '90s, not '90's. Apostrophe-s indicates possession, and the '90s didn't own anything, except maybe leather jackets and pouches for superheroes. So many pouches. So many.
  • Anyway, since this was originally published in the '90s, it begs the question, "whatever happened to Steve McArdle?"

CURSE OF CLEAVER COUNTY DOUBLE FEATURE

Story: Garrett Gunn, Joshua Werner | Art: Keyla Valerio | Art/Cover: Kit Wallis | Source Point Press | $3.99

This limited edition Double Feature includes the introduction of the brand new Horror-Verse from Source Point Press!

Set in the one of the deadliest fictional locations in the world, the Curse of Cleaver County follows some of the most grotesque, gruesome and gore-fueled killers as they haunt, horrify and harrow the peaceful residents!

Featuring stories by Garrett Gunn, Kit Wallis, Joshua Werner and Keyla Valerio; this debut issue is one you won't want to miss!

• I've said this before, and I'll say it again: If you name your home something like "Cleaver County," you're just asking for trouble.

DIE WERGELDER VOL 3 GN

DUKE OF DEATH & HIS MAID VOL 4 GN

FAILURE FRAME VOL 5 GN

FIRE FORCE VOL 30 GN

FRANK FRAZETTA'S DEATH DEALER #8

• Cover B: Frank Frazetta's "Fire Demon."

FUTARIBEYA MANGA VOL 9: ROOM FOR TWO GN

GHOST PLANET ONE-SHOT

Story: Jeffrey Burandt | Art/Cover: Sean Von Gorman | $5.99

A family of deep space explorers rushes to solve the mystery of Ghost Planet before their recently-dead loved ones return to kill them next! Murder birds, eye stalks and space pigs abound in this 40-page graphic novella. Ghost Planet is a classic sci-fi tale with a body horror twist.

• "Ghost Planet"? Space Ghost should sue for copyright infringement.

GIRL FROM OTHER SIDE SIUIL RUN VOL 12 GN

GIRL I LIKE FORGOT HER GLASSES VOL 1 GN

GOOD BOY VOL 3 #2

GUN HONEY: BLOOD FOR BLOOD #4 (OF 4)

Story: Charles Ardai  | Art: Ang Hor Kheng | Colors: Asifur Rahman | Letters: David Leach | Covers: Sozomaika, Ben Oliver, Hor Kheng | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

With weapons expert Joanna Tan, the legendary "Gun Honey," off the grid, recuperating from her last job, a vengeful rival takes her place -- and frames Joanna for murder. On the run from Malaysia to Milan, from Montana to Monaco, can Joanna catch up to her ruthless enemy ... or will she catch a bullet first?

• OK, Gun Honey seems to fall out of her clothes a lot. But with Cover E they're not even trying. There aren't any clothes to fall out of!

HEAVENS REJECT #4 (OF 4)

HELLO MELANCHOLIC VOL 3 GN

HIGHBALL #4 (OF 5)

HOLLER #6

JUJUTSU KAISEN VOL 18 GN

JUNIOR #1

Story/Art: Alex Kmeto |  Colors: Sean Callahan | Letters: D.C. Hopkins | Editor: Andrea Lorenzo Molinari | Scout Comics

Young space Marine Junior and her alien, hippo-like sidekick Walter were caught off guard when they crash-landed on a dinosaur-infested planet. However, they were totally unprepared to find Junior’s long-lost mother safeguarding an ancient, alien artifact capable of healing any mortal wound. Junior’s father, a colonel in the Marines, has been sent to collect the artifact for the evil corporate entity “The Board.” Now Junior is stuck in the middle of a conflict that could not only destroy her family, but the galaxy as well!

“JUNIOR is a culmination of everything we as creators have loved about comics for decades,” writer/artist Alex Kmeto said.  “We’ve made a fun, adventure comic with a soul.  It’s an action-packed, character-driven story about the complexities of growing up, set against a fantastical sci-fi backdrop. Outer space, dinosaurs, ancient artifacts, booby traps and talking hippos! A comic book created for the love of the comic book medium — Junior is an accessible tale that all ages can enjoy.”

KAGEKI SHOJO GN VOL 07

KING TANK GIRL VOL 1 GN

Story: Alan Martin | Art: Brett Parson | Cover: Greg Staples | Titan Comics | 128 pages | $17.99

Writer and co-creator Alan Martin returns with fan-favorite artist Brett Parson to bring you the all-new adventures of the classic, punk rock comic character Tank Girl! Turning the clock back to the early years, King Tank Girl offers up a veritable banquet of brand new stories: Tank Girl and the gang head to the beach for "Barney Don't Surf"; they explore the expensive world of Wellbeing; and Tank Girl is crowned King of England. And all that before tea time!

• Tank Girl had me fooled at first. The (implied) sex and open drug and alcohol abuse had me fooled that it was for adults. But it's really pretty silly.
  • Here's a preview.

KINGDOMS OF RUIN VOL 5 GN

KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #299

LEGACY OF VIOLENCE #3 (OF 12)

LES MISERABLES OMNIBUS VOL 1 GN

THE LIE & HOW WE TOLD IT HC (NEW PTG)

Story/Art: Tommi Parrish | Fantagraphics | $34.99

A friendship creaks under the strain of a fumbling encounter between its two participants, leaving them even more lonely and uncertain than before. Parrish's first graphic novel for Fantagraphics is a visual tour de force, navigating queer desire, masculinity, fear, and the ever-in-flux state of friendships. The Lie and How We Told It is a remarkably resonant work from an exciting new voice in contemporary graphic novels.

Parrish's emotionally loaded, painted graphic novel is is a visual tour de force, always in the service of the author's themes: navigating queer desire, masculinity, fear and the ever-in-flux state of friendships.

WINNER 2019 Lambda Award, Best LGBTQ Graphic Novel.

Praise

"The Lie takes on material that's small in scope and thoroughly familiar: emotions we've all felt before. On the other hand, it's got the chutzpah to try and make us experience those feelings in a whole new way." — NPR Books

"A haunting little graphic novella. ... Parrish's tactile paintwork conjures humans with hulking bodies and baseball heads, all of them wondering whether the messes they're in are the result of mistakes they've made or some kind of perverse destiny they were always bound for." — Vulture

"Tommi Parrish's excellent new graphic novel relentlessly interrogates issues of gender and sexuality, pointing out that strict binaries are mostly jerry-built and easily broken." — PEN

"With each hand-painted panel, author Tommi Parrish communicates an intense atmosphere and delves thoughtfully into the themes of queer desire, masculinity, fear, and the fading of past relationships." — Eyes on Design

"The Lie and How We Told It is one of the best graphic novels I've read in the past two years. ... To see Parrish's work culminate in such a magnificent graphic novel is both satisfying and invigorating." — Sequential State

LIFE IS STRANGE VOL 4-6 BOXED SET

Story: Emma Vieceli  | Art: Claudia Leonardi  | Colors: Andrea Izzo | 352 pages | $53.99

Collecting the emotional final three volumes in best-selling series inspired by the Bafta Award-Winning videogame!

Collects Life is Strange: Partners in Time — Tracks, Life is Strange: Coming Home and Life is Strange: Settling Dust. INCLUDES ART CARD.

MASTERFUL CAT DEPRESSED AGAIN TODAY VOL 5 GN

MISS KOBAYASHI'S DRAGON MAID ELMA DIARY VOL 6 GN

MISSION YOZAKURA FAMILY VOL 2 GN

MUSHOKU TENSEI ROXY GETS SERIOUS VOL 8 GN

MY CUTE LITTLE KITTEN VOL 1 GN

MY ISEKAI LIFE VOL 4 GN

MYSTERIUM #2 (OF 3)

MYTHS & LEGENDS QUARTERLY BLOOD OF THE GODS #1

NINJA FUNK #2 (OF 4)

NO GUNS LIFE VOL 13 GN

OZ: RETURN OF THE WICKED WITCH #2 (OF 3)

PLUS SIZED ELF VOL 8 GN

PROSPECTS #1

PURE LOVES SEXY TIME VOL 1 (OF 2)

RENT A GIRLFRIEND VOL 16 GN

RESIDENT EVIL: INFINITE DARKNESS BEGINNING #1

Story: Keith R. A. DeCandido | Art/Cover: Carmelo Zagaria, Valentina Cuomo | $4.99

Based on the 2021 animated series featured on Netflix, Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness, this exciting graphic novel tie-in features all-new original stories from the world of Resident Evil.

• Wait: There was a Resident Evil cartoon?

ROAD TRIP TO HELL #1

Story: Nicole D’Andria | Art: Monika Maccagni | Colors: Joaquin Pereyra | Variant: Marco Fontanili | Letters: Justin Birch | Logo: Jacob Bascle

A dark comedy filled with action, adventure, and the worst the world had to offer, Road Trip to Hell follows Francis Rhoades, a young man with the ability to see horrible things in a person's future just by touching them. His life has been full of hardship, but things get even worse when the demon Baphomet informs him that his father is Satan and he’s been destroyed. Now, Francis has been designated the new king of Hell. The catch? All the damned have escaped, and if one of them can kill Francis before he can reach the netherworld himself, that soul will become the new leader of Hell! Francis is in for a hellish nightmare that includes the likes of Adolf Hitler, Attila the Hun, Vlad the Impaler and many more of the worst the world had to offer.  With the help of his sister Star and his literal guardian angel Joan of Arc, Francis needs to survive his trip to hell ... hopefully without losing his own soul in the process!

Quote & Review:

“I’ve been working with Scout Comics behind the scenes for a while now. I can tell they really care about their comics and the people pouring their blood, sweat, and geekiness into them, so I knew they would be the right publisher for Road Trip to Hell. I’m looking forward to seeing just how far this road trip will go with Scout!” — Nicole D'Andria

"This is the kind of story I wish I would’ve come up with first… then I realize I couldn’t have pulled it off this good!" — Shawn Gabborin (Black Betty, Puppet Master)

“Son of a … Devil? Rather, son of THE Devil. Road Trip to Hell is a great first comic from Nicole D'Andria. Marco Maccagni, Joaquin Pereyra and Justin Birch complement the witty writing and hairpin plot twists. Definitely pick this one up.” — Erica Schultz (Xena, Twelve Devils Dancing)

Road Trip to Hell is a wild, clever, inventive ride, mixing memorable, original characters that you root for and historical figures that you long to see finally get what they deserve. With the return of villains we thought we'd seen the last of, this story is timely and timeless. To find out what happens in this series, I will gladly go to hell!” — Jennie Wood (Flutter)

“I really enjoyed it. Good, clean premise. Deep characters. The art works nicely. And I love that the whole thing has a Buffy-esque swagger to it.” — Rylend Grant (Aberrant, Banjax)

Road Trip to Hell is an impressive debut that reminds me a bit of the tragically short-lived TV show, Reaper. It has that same vein of dark humor and deals with just as much of the supernatural. This book sets itself out, pulling from a number of fun aspects of the Bible and history.” — James Ferguson (Horror DNA)

ROOMS ILLUSTRATION & COMIC COLL SENBON UMISHIMA

RUN AWAY WITH ME GIRL VOL 1 GN

SCHOOL ZONE GIRLS VOL 4 GN

SHIKIMORI'S NOT JUST A CUTIE VOL 11 GN

SLOW LIFE IN ANOTHER WORLD I WISH VOL 4 GN

SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH US GN VOL 12

STAR RUNNER RISING STAR #4 (OF 4)

STARTUP #3

SULFUR WELLS #3

SULFUR WELLS #4

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 1 (OF 6)

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 2 (OF 6)

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 3 (OF 6)

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 4 (OF 6)

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 5 (OF 6)

SUMMERTIME RENDERING HC VOL 6 (OF 6)

SUPER SUCKERS

SWEAT AND SOAP BOX SET VOL 1

TANGLED RIVER #3

TOPPU GP GN VOL 10

TRAVELING TO MARS #2

• It feels like a crime to use Silver Surfer #1 (1968) for something like this.

TWITTERING BIRDS NEVER FLY VOL 7 (OF 7)

UNWANTED #1

WONDERCAT KYUU-CHAN VOL 7 GN

WORLDS END HAREM VOL 13 GN

YASHAHIME PRINCESS HALF DEMON VOL 2 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS — THE ILLYRIAN ENIGMA #1 (of 4)

That quiff (see Cover D) really is ridiculous. What I can't imagine is why people who wear their hair in that style think it's attractive. If I had a lot of hair, I would certainly not goose it up into a poncy pomenade. But then again, I don't have a lot of hair, so maybe I'm just jealous.

As someone whose bald spot and forehead are close to joining up, I can relate. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that no people ever like their own hair and wish it was different.

GOLD GOBLIN #2 (OF 5)

Haven't they run out of colors for the Goblins yet?

"whatever happened to Steve McArdle?"

After some digging, I found this recent article on him. He's apparently self-publishing:

https://www.tcj.com/reviews/vendetta-holy-vindicator/

• "Evidently he's still being published."

Sporadically. Groo vs. Conan (2014) and Groo Meets Tarzan (2021) were both pretty good, with Conan/Tarzan art by by Tom Yeates.

"I've got this in too many formats already, thanks."

Me, too... although those three "Absolute" Swamp thing by Alan Moore editions were pretty sweet.

"It's weird to me that DC considers Batman's Silver Age to begin in 1956 (to me it begins with the "New Look" in 1964), but who cares?"

The most commonly-accepted definition of Silver Age would include this volume, the "New Look" and the beginning of the Adams era. (I myself do not subscribe the "the most commonly-accepted definition, and this is a prime example of why.)

"I see Doctor Fate and Spectre on the covers, which always excites me, until I am inevitably disappointed."

That often happens to me with one character or another (recently, Miracleman)... until I realize it's part of some unrelated "alternate cover" scheme.

"ROGUES HC - This has a place on my bookshelf next to all those Flash omnibuses and Batman Elseworlds."

I do not remember seeing this one solicited. If it's what it sounds like, it's like those "Black Widow" or "Black Panther" or "Doctor Doom" collections I mentioned recently, which I approve of in theory, but I could read them in order, even in archival format, if I wanted to take the time. I'll have to give this one a look, but I am honestly out of shelf space (for books) and floor space (for shelves).

"What did you guys think of [Superman: Birthright]?"

I personally did not like it. As far as I was concerned at the time, John Byrne's Man of Steel was still in effect, and Birthright pretty much contradicted it. Years later, in an interview, Mark Waid pretty much said that what he was tasked to do. I read birthright a second time a few years after the first and, whereas I no longer remember any specifics, I do remember that I didn't like it any better the second time through than the first.

"What is it about that play that every writer has a modern adaptation lurking in his brain?"

I dunno... the desire to give his own work an air of legitimacy?

"I don't remember reading Knights of Pendragon first series."

I remember it. (I was going through a "Captain Britain" phase.) It was okay, but I have desire to own it in omnibus format (and again, there's that shelf space/floor space thing).

"AIRBOY #52" - Holy crap! Really? Eclipse's Airboy lasted 50 issues. It's Alive! picked up with #51 as the first issue of an ongoing series... in 2020.

"These political parodies are always dopey, no matter whether they praise or pan my personal political convictions. I avoid them strenuously."

Like you, I learned this lesson the hard way.

"...it's '90s, not '90's. Apostrophe-s indicates possession, and the '90s didn't own anything..."

Tracy shared something from Twitter today.

FIRST GUY: Is it "fuck sake" or "fucks sake"? I've got to know because it's for work.

SECOND GUY: Actually, it's "fuck's sake"; the sake belongs to the fuck. Get it straight, this is for work!

THIRD GUY: The real question here is, is it "fuck's sake" or "fucks' sake." Does the sake belong to all the fucks or just this one fuck? 

• It seems to me that if there was a way to bring the dead back to life, that it would be a fairly well-trod path, no matter the danger.

Wasn't there a Buffy the Vampire-Slayer episode where she died and her friends brought her back to life, but she was pissed because they'd dragged her out of Heaven?  Maybe not everyone would be happy to be brought back to life.

On an unrelted regarding nthe delineation between the Golden and Silver Ages  - There's no real  line-wide demarcation point is there?  I think most peop,le would agree that the Silver Age began for the Flash in 1956, but it's not like every DC character suddenly was like, "OK, it's thebSilver Age now."

• "There's no real line-wide demarcation point is there?"

As far as I am concerned, it was the CCA that brought the Golden Age to a crashing halt. I think of the years 1956-1961 as something of a "revival age" in which both National and Timely tried to revive their Golden age heroes (after a fashion). Neither attempt was really successful... until The Brave & the Bold #28 brought the revived heroes together as a team and Marvel followed suit with Fantastic Four #1. 

• I find the TV show adequately entertaining, but not memorable. (And I will probably depart when Henry Cavill does.) I've got two library editions from Dark Horse of The Witcher comics, but haven't felt stirred to read them. Maybe it's because I haven't read the books. Is that where all this swooning comes from? Tell me, Witcher fans, what is it that makes this series a cut above the jillion other fantasy series?

Cap, I've never seen the TV show, and I have found The Witcher comics okay at best. There has also been a number of popular video games as well. Now, I have read 2-3 of the books, and that is were it has hit for me. I just found it a great concept. A monster hunting bounty hunter, who struggles to make a living because there are so few monsters left? Basically, uses drugs to fight the monster? Nothing I had read before, but it also depends on the execution. Which I found great..

• "Batman" really did have a crime comic element in the Golden Age. ("The Penny Plunderers" has a startlingly brutal sequence where the gang murder a member who's squealed to Batman.) It was toned down over time. It looks to me like after the backlash and institution of the Code (which I think was largely DC imposing its standards on everyone else) it continued to tone it down further. Hence the transformation stories of the era, Bat-Mite, the Batman Family. So the character of the feature did change in the second half of the 1950s. Bill Finger also showed an interest in stories of psychological disturbance (such as "Am I Really Batman?", "Robin Dies at Dawn"), which might also have something to do with the transformation stories. 

• Haven't they run out of colors for the Goblins yet?

There's a Red Goblin coming in March. Surprise! It's Harry Osborn's son Normie, all grown up.

The most commonly-accepted definition of Silver Age would include this volume, the "New Look" and the beginning of the Adams era. (I myself do not subscribe the "the most commonly-accepted definition, and this is a prime example of why.)

Or as The Baron says: I think most people would agree that the Silver Age began for the Flash in 1956, but it's not like every DC character suddenly was like, "OK, it's the Silver Age now."

As Mr. Silver Age often says, this sort of debate will never have an end, because everyone has their own private definitions for everything. And he's right, but I don't mind spouting my opinion anyway.

I pronounce the Silver Age to be 1956-1970, for various reasons that anyone who disagrees with me doesn't care about. But I also hold a separate, contradictory thought in my head -- I contain multitudes -- about where the Silver Age begins for the specific characters who existed before 1956. For Superman, it's the 1958 story that established the Arctic Fortress of Solitude in Action Comics #241. For Batman, it's whatever 1964 story had the yellow oval around the bat on his chest first. (I think MSA said it was an issue of World's Finest Comics, which accidentally came out before the "official" launch in Batman and Detective.) For Green Arrow, Aquaman and Wonder Woman, it's the 1958 stories that gave them new origins. For Catwoman, Penguin, Two-Face, Joker and other Bat-villains who had been largely abandoned in the 1950s, it's whatever 1960s stories restored them to prominence. For Sub-Mariner and Captain America, it's Fantastic Four #4 and Avengers #4, respectively.

I consider the Golden Age to end in 1954, so I hold the 1955 revivals of Cap, Subby and Human Torch in abeyance, until established or explained away in the modern Marvel U., as many have. Then their Silver Age may extend back to 1954-55, depending on how those stories are placed. And Martian Manhunter, who is definitely a Silver Age character, started before Barry Allen (in 1955, to be exact).

I haven't decided on Marvel Boy yet. He's in the Golden Age (1951-53), but really seems like a Silver Age character.

As far as I am concerned, it was the CCA that brought the Golden Age to a crashing halt. I think of the years 1956-1961 as something of a "revival age" in which both National and Timely tried to revive their Golden age heroes (after a fashion). Neither attempt was really successful... until The Brave & the Bold #28 brought the revived heroes together as a team and Marvel followed suit with Fantastic Four #1. 

That's a compelling argument.

I do not remember seeing this (Rogues HC) one solicited.

If I remember correctly, it's a Black Label miniseries set in the near-future that is "the last big job" for the Rogues before they retire. I don't expect many to survive.

I personally did not like it. (Superman: Birthright)

Thanks. That's all I need to know to save some bucks.

The desire to give his own work an air of legitimacy?

Sadly, I think you're right.

It was okay, but I have desire to own it (Knights of Pendragon) in omnibus format.

I have a hankering to, because I have all the Captain Britain omnibuses, and I want the whole story if this is part of it. Is it part of it?

FIRST GUY: Is it "fuck sake" or "fucks sake"? I've got to know because it's for work.

Wait. For work? Where does he work, a brothel?

I have read 2-3 of the books, and that is were it has hit for me. I just found it a great concept.

A-ha! Thanks, Travis! I may put those on my readng list after the Bond books.

So the character of the feature did change in the second half of the 1950s.

Agreed, as the Comics Code wreaked comprehensive, industry-wide changes. That's why I continue the Golden Age in my head until 1954. What came after the Comics Code was a quantum shift from what came before, including characters that staggered on, like Batman.

• ROGUES:

"If I remember correctly, it's a Black Label miniseries set in the near-future that is 'the last big job' for the Rogues before they retire."

I saw it on the shelf today. It is as you described. Not interested.

KNIGHTS OF PENDRAGON:

"I have a hankering to, because I have all the Captain Britain omnibuses, and I want the whole story if this is part of it. Is it part of it?"

Well, it's the same character, but this series is produced by Marvel UK so the tone is different. On my shelf, the Captain Britain omnibuses are followed by volume one of the Excalibur omnibus. Even if I were interested in a KoP omni, I think I'd shelve it elsewhere. 'Nuff said?

"AGEISM" IN COMICS

[EDIT - I just deleted a lengthy response.]

[2ND EDIT - I just deleted another lengthy response.]

I am working on a "Grand Unified Theory of Comic Book Ages."

[3RD EDIT - I think I'm just going to wait until I'm ready to post.

Don't hold your breath, though; I've been thinking about this for years.

This reply was deleted.