Comics Guide: July 10-16, 2023

BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #10

BATMAN INCORPORATED #10

BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINA TURTLES OMNIBUS HC

DANGER STREET #7 (OF 12)

DC MECH HC

I AM BATMAN VOL 1 TP

KNIGHT TERRORS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art: Giuseppe Camuncoli, Caspar Wijngaard | Cover: Ivan Reis, Danny Miki | Variants: Francesco Mattina, Alex Maleev, Evan "Doc" Shaner, Ivan Reis | $3.99

WHO IS INSOMNIA? Hello, ghouls and ghosts! This is Boston Brand, a.k.a. Deadman, and I’ll be your supernatural tour guide across the Knight Terrors stories! After that fancy special oversize issue you have to read first, the whole world is trapped inside their nightmares, and Batman and I are trying to figure out who Insomnia really is ... and why he wants revenge on the heroes of the DC Universe!

• This is the "spine" miniseries.
  • This week's DC titles have a real Silver Age vibe for me: Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Zatanna, Cliff Steele, Captain Marvel (or whatever his name is now) and Robin (albeit the modern one) in Knight Terrors, plus an actual Silver Age Teen Titans miniseries.

KNIGHT TERRORS: FLASH #1 (OF 2)

Story: Alek Paknadel | Art: Daniel Bayliss | Cover: Werther Dell Edera | Variants: Taurn Clarke, Daniel Bayliss, Kyle Hotz, Rafael Sarmento, Dustin Nguyen | $4.99

After the Flash Family freed Barry Allen from the dimension Pariah locked him in, the Scarlet Speedster was able to return home for some quality time with Iris and his other loved ones. But after the world is plunged into the Nightmare Realm, Barry's trapped in a different cage, and he'll have to find a way out on his own!

KNIGHT TERRORS: GREEN LANTERN #1 (OF 2)

Story: Jeremy Adams, Alex Segura | Art: Eduardo Pansica, Julio Ferreira, Mario Fox Foccillo | Cover: Lucio Parrillo | Variants: Darick Robertson, Mike Deodata Jr., Pete Woods, Kelley Jones, Dustin Nguyen | $4.99

Back in space to face his greatest fear! Something is wrong in Sector 2814, and Hal Jordan, Kilowog and a few other Lanterns must find the mysterious disturbance, despite a ban on any of Earth's Green Lanterns leaving their world. What they discover is a planet controlled by a familiar face — the face of Hal's greatest fear! And in a backup story, Sinestro finds himself thrust into a new reality that drags him into the darkest corners of his past ... and perhaps his future.

KNIGHT TERRORS: ROBIN #1 (OF 2)

Story: Kenny Porter | Art: Miguel Mendonça | Cover: Ivan Reis | Variants: James Stokoe, Liam Sharp, Sam Wolfe Connelly, Jorge Corona, Dustin Nguyen | $4.99

IT'S ROBIN VERSUS ROBIN VERSUS NIGHTMARE ROBINS? When the two Bat-brothers get taken into the Nightmare Realm, Jason Todd and Tim Drake must fight against their worst fears and each other as they're forced to relive the darkest moments of their lives.

KNIGHT TERRORS: SHAZAM #1 (OF 2)

Story: Mark Waid | Art: Roger Cruz | Cover: Dan Mora | Variants: Hayden Sherman, Helene Lenoble, Jerry Ordway, Freddie E. Williams II, Dustin Nguyen | $4.99

ENTER: TETH-SHAZAM?! Of all Earth's heroes, Billy Batson is the only one in double danger — because he and the Captain are each haunted by their own set of nightmares! And if the World's Mightiest Mortal can't survive his own fears, what chance does the rest of the Shazamily have?

KNIGHT TERRORS: ZATANNA #1 (OF 2)

Story: Dennis Culver | Art/Cover: David Baldeon | Variants: Kendrick Lim, Mico Suayan, Riley Rossmo, Dustin Nguyen | $3.99

ANNATAZ SI KCAB! Zatanna, one of the last people awake on Earth, must defend her unconscious allies Wonder Woman and Detective Chimp from Insomnia's Sleepless Knights — led by their horrifying Sleepless Queen! But the outnumbered Zatanna can't do it alone. She uses her magic to summon any champion that is still awake, which puts her in an unlikely team-up with one of the world's strangest superheroes: the Unstoppable Doom Patrol's Robotman!

LOONEY TUNES #273

MULTIVERSITY: HARLEY SCREWS UP THE DCU #5 (OF 6)

SPIRIT WORLD #3 (OF 3)

SUICIDE SQUAD: GET JOKER TP

SUPERMAN LOST #5 (OF 10)

UNSTOPPABLE DOOM PATROL #4 (OF 6)

WILDCATS #9

WORLD’S FINEST: TEEN TITANS #1 (OF 6)

Story: Mark Waid | Art: Emanuela Lupacchino | Cover: Chris Samnee | Variants: Evan "Doc" Shaner, Jim Cheung, W. Scott Forbes, Emanuela Lupacchino, Chris Samnee | $3.99

Spinning out of the pages of the runaway hit Batman/Superman: World's Finest comes a modern retelling of the early adventures of the original Teen Titans! Led by Robin, the Boy Wonder, a new super-team has burst onto the scene — meet the Teen Titans, DC's grooviest group filled with super-teens with super-problems. When they're not fighting alongside their Justice League mentors, they're managing their image and cultivating the rabid fan base that helps them save the world ... as, all the while, a danger from the shadows intends to tear these friends apart before they ever reach the big time. Before they were the Titans of the DCU, they were the Teen Titans, and you won't want to miss this fresh take on their origins from the legendary talents of Mark Waid and Emanuela Lupacchino!

I hope Waid doesn't re-write my Silver Age memories too badly.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BETTIE PAGE #2

GARGOYLES: THE DARK AGES #1

Story: Greg Weisman | Art: Drew Moss | Covers: Clayton Crain, Alan Quah, Mirka Andolfo, Kenya Danino, Erica Henderson | Teen | $4.99

The Dark Ages are beginning soon ... about a thousand years ago, that is! GARGOYLES has been one of our biggest hits, with stellar fan reactions and glowing reviews on each issue. Now franchise creator Greg Weisman is launching a companion series delving into a long-discussed spinoff angle that fans have waited for a long time to explore! GARGOYLES: DARK AGES launches this July and Dynamite's own Scott Nybakken sat down with Greg and artist Drew Moss to talk about how the series has come together and what fans can expect.

• I think if I was 10 I'd be crazy about Gargoyles.
  • Here's a video interview.

LORD OF THE JUNGLE #6

IMAGE COMICS

ANTARCTICA #1

Story: Simon Birks | Art/Cover: Wili Roberts | $3.99

Top Cow Productions, Inc., the company behind The Darkness and Cyberforce, is thrilled to announce its latest sci-fi adventure series, Antarctica by Simon Birks (Hexes, Gone, Robyn) and Willi Roberts (Black in the Dark, ReMothered), set to release on Wednesday, July 12. Antarctica is a unique blend of Stargate and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, with an emotionally driven story that is sure to captivate readers.

With roots back to a six-page short story in Top Cow's Stairway Anthology, Matt Hawkins, president at Top Cow, said: “I loved it then and it was a no-brainer for me to support the creators in developing these multifaceted characters.”

Conceptualized and written by award-winning screenwriter Simon Birks, Antarctica follows the journey of a young engineer named Hannah, whose life imploded the day her father failed to return from the secretive Smith-Petersen Research Station in Antarctica. Alone and on the street, she’s at her lowest ebb when a friend offers help. Retrained as an engineer, Hannah secures a job at the same Antarctic station to search for her father and stumbles headfirst into a conspiracy that threatens everything she’s ever believed.

Birks added: “Antarctica takes no prisoners, and I'm excited to share our adventure with the readers. Willi and I have created something exceptional; an incredible experience full of unique twists and turns to keep everyone guessing right up until the end.”

Since Antarctica explores the themes of loss, identity and sacrifice, Roberts knew he had a lot of work ahead of him. “Because the story is science-fiction, emotional and mature, I had to visualize a reality where both the characters and readers can accept that another world exists, said Roberts. "Everything lined up and Simon’s scripts inspired my art and my art, his scripts.”

Explore a mysterious new world that Birks and Roberts created and unlock the secret of Antarctica.

• More interesting sci-fi from Image.
  • Here's a preview.

DARK RIDE #7

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Andrei Bressan, Adriano Lucas | Variants: Anwita Citriya, Paulina Ganucheau, Tony Fleecs & Amy Mebberson | Mature | $3.99

FIRST LOOK: TAKE A DARK RIDE ON THE SCARIEST RIDE EVER CREATED IN DARK RIDE #7 FROM SKYBOUND 

Skybound today unveiled a first look at Dark Ride #7, the latest issue of the hit horror comic book series from the iconic Birthright team of writer Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Crisis), artist Andrei Bressan (DC’s Justice League Incarnate), colorist Adriano Lucas (DC’s Nightwing) and letterer Pat Brosseau (Creepshow). 

In this issue, Arthur Dante reveals himself to the world for the first time in many years to deal with his children, and unveil the scariest ride ever created.

Dark Ride #7 continues the stacked variant cover lineup that has run throughout the series. In addition to the main cover by Andrei Bressan and series colorist Adriano Lucas, Dark Ride’s Cover B variant spotlights park mascot Danny D. Evil, with an issue #7 cover by Anwita Citriya (Creepshow), while Cover C showcases Devil Land’s resident femme fatale and horror aficionado, Halloween, with the third of four new covers by Paulina Ganucheau (Zodiac Starforce). 

Additionally, megastar creator Tony Fleecs (Stray Dogs, Star Wars Adventures) continues art directing the classic homage poster variant program that ran throughout the series’ first arc. The 1:25 incentives will also span the Cover D slot of Dark Ride’s second arc, bringing on a new guest artist for each cover. Amy Mebberson (Pocket Princesses) is the artist at the helm for issue #7.

"I am impossibly intrigued by the work that Joshua Wiliamson, Andrei Bressan, and company are crafting here — a blend of enthralling and unsettling that I'm definitely glad to see back in my pull list." — ComicBook.com

"If you're a fan of the horror genre, this is a series you don't want to miss." — Graphic Policy

DEEP CUTS #3 (OF 6)

FISHFLIES #1 (OF 6)

Story/Art: Jeff Lemire | Covers: Jeff Lemire, Peach Momoko | Mature | $5.99

Bestselling, multiple award winning, master storyteller Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, The Underwater Welder, The Bone Orchard Mythos) will bring small town evils to life in the highly anticipated Fishflies. This all-new series written and drawn by Lemire — and which will first be teased to fans with a special Free Comic Book Day edition in May — will officially launch in July from Image Comics.

When a brutal and violent crime puts the life of an innocent teenage boy in the balance, it sets off a chain of events in bucolic Bell River, Ontario, that will permanently change several residents’ lives. And as the manhunt heats up, a lonely girl named Franny Fox will form an unlikely friendship with a fugitive that leads them on an odyssey of discovery and redemption. Fishflies is a new tale of small-town surrealist horror that begins with a special extra-length debut issue.

"For years the books I both write and draw seem to switch back and forth between grounded, slice-of-life human drama like Essex County and Royal City or more genre-driven work like Sweet Tooth," said Lemire. "With Fishflies I really tried to combine these two aesthetics into one big story. Fishflies has the scale and drama of my more grounded work but also the genre fun and mythology of things like Gideon Falls. I think the result makes it unlike anything I’ve done before, yet very familiar at the same time."

• More interesting horror from Image.
  • Here's a preview.

HAUNT YOU TO THE END #2

IMMORTAL SERGEANT #7 (OF 9)

IN HELL WE FIGHT #2

NEMESIS RELOADED TP

ROYAL CITY COMPENDIUM VOL 1 TP

SAVAGE DRAGON #266

SOMETHING EPIC #3

SPAWN SCORCHED VOL 2 TP

STARSIGNS #3

STONEHEART #5

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #29

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: A TOUCH OF TYPHOID tp

DEFENDERS OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

DOCTOR STRANGE BY DONNY CATES TP

FALLEN FRIEND: THE DEATH OF MS. MARVEL #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: G. Willow Wilson, Saladin Ahmed & Mark Waid | Art: Humberto Ramos, Takeshi Miyazawa & Andrea Di Vito | Cover: Kaare Andrews | Variants: Pablo Villalobos, Carmen Carnero, Adrian Alphona | Teen+ | $4.99

As an Oscorp intern, Kamala Khan has been a pivotal supporting character in Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr.’s run of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, which led to Kamala saving the entire Marvel Universe with the ultimate sacrifice!

The character’s everlasting legacy and this storyline continues with a special one-shot, FALLEN FRIEND: THE DEATH OF MS. MARVEL, an essential issue crafted by an all-star lineup of talent including the return of the character’s co-creator, G. Willow Wilson; the writer of Ms. Marvel’s last solo series, Saladin Ahmed; and Mark Waid, who not only brought Ms. Marvel onto the Avengers, but also wrote her central role in the teen team book The Champions.

In the grand comics condition of other notable character deaths such as Captain America, Doctor Strange, and the original Captain Marvel, FALLEN FRIEND: THE DEATH OF MS. MARVEL will be a crucial chapter in the Marvel mythos and serve as both a farewell for Ms. Marvel and a glimpse of her death’s impact on all of Marvel’s heroes. 

FALLEN FRIEND: DEATH OF MS. MARVEL #1 will have four stunning covers that fans can choose from. In addition to the heartbreaking main cover by Kaare Andrews, Carmen Carnero pays homage to the death of the original Captain Marvel in a stirring tribute that will also be available as a virgin cover. Alternately, Pablo Villalobos looks back on happier times and spotlights Ms. Marvel’s enthusiastic fanbase who have passionately supported the character throughout the years. Last but not least, Ms. Marvel co-creator Adrian Alphona returns to the character with a poignant portrait.

The heart of the Marvel Universe has stopped beating. Now join the other heroes of the Marvel Universe, the creators of Ms. Marvel, and comic fans everywhere in honoring and remembering one of Marvel’s brightest stars! 

• I don't mean to be cynical, but we all know that a character with her own TV show (and destined to appear in the upcoming Marvels movie) isn't going to stay dead for very long. Especially given the X-Men, with their big, red Resurrection Button so handy. So this is much ado about nothing, which is kinda insulting to people who suffer real grief.
  • Hey, another "The Pietà" homage.
  • Here's a preview.

FANTASTIC FOUR BY NORTH VOL 1: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO FF TP

GROOT #3 (OF 4)

IMMORTAL X-MEN #13

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Lucas Werneck | Cover: Mark Brooks | Variants: Jan Bazaldua, Phil Noto, Lucian Vecchio, Nabetse Zitro | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer Kieron Gillen and artist Lucas Werneck turn the spotlight to Doug Ramsey in IMMORTAL X-MEN #13 and gives readers a chance to hear from Krakoa directly. Time is running out. Fall is here. Doug is the voice of Krakoa. It's time for Krakoa to speak.

FALL OF X is the explosive payoff to plot threads that have been brewing since 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X. FALL OF X will determine if mutantkind’s prosperous Krakoan Age can truly last forever or if its foundation has doomed it from the start.

• Doug Ramsey gets to do something!
  • "Fall of X" lead-up.
  • Here's a preview.

INCREDIBLE HULK #181 FACSIMILE EDITION NEW PTG

• First Hulk-Wolverine fight. First Wolverine cover appearance, too.

LOKI #2 (OF 4)

MARVEL-VERSE SPIDER-WOMAN TP

MIGHTY MMW AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL 4: MASTER PLANNER TP

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #8

MMW CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL 15 HC

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 1 HC — REMASTERWORKS

• I'm tempted to get this, because my original is (impossibly!) yellowing with age. But I've got the Omnibus, too. And the Taschen book. And several original comics.  And probably even more versions of the first 10 issues of Fantastic Four, if I looked around the cave. I just don't need another one.

MOON KNIGHT #25

Story: Jed Mackay | Art: Alessandro Cappuccio, Alessandro Vitti & Partha Pratim | Covers By Steve Mcniven, Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, Frank Miller, Gary Frank, Jim Cheung, Maria Wolf, W. Scott Forbes, John Tyler | 96 pages | Teen+ | $9.99

This July, two moons rise! Revealed earlier by IGN, writer Jed MacKay is bringing fans an oversized anniversary issue of MOON NIGHT #25. The monumental issue features art from an all-star line-up including Alessandro Cappuccio, Alessandro Vitti, and Partha Pratim.

In the upcoming issue, Moon Knight’s past and present collide! The past comes back to bedevil Moon Knight as he pursues his latest enemy, someone once familiar and new. From grim New York nights to the blazing sun of Alexandria days, Moon Knight hunts for answers among the graves of Hart Island while haunted by the last mission of the Karnak Cowboys, a mercenary crew counting among its members Marc Spector, Jean-Paul Duchamp, Robert Plesko ... and the official comic book debut of Layla El-Faouly! The issue also includes a classic Moon Knight story from the past by legendary comic writer Doug Moench and Eisner-winning, Emmy-nominated artist Bill Sienkiewicz.

PLANET OF THE APES #4

RED GOBLIN #6

Story: Alex Paknadel | Art: Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Björn Barends | Variants: Philip Tan, Ryan Stegman | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Alex Paknadel and Jan Bazaldua begin a new arc “Nature vs. Nurture” in RED GOBLIN #6! CARNAGE REIGNS may be over, but Normie Osborn and the Rascal symbiote’s problems are only just beginning! For weeks, Normie’s pacified the symbiote and managed to keep the rabid killing machine inside it under control. But in this issue, Normie learns that you can’t fight nature.

• “Summer of Symbiotes” tie-in.

ROGUE AND GAMBIT #5 (OF 5)

SCARLET WITCH #6

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #36

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #36

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION VOL 3: TALES OF JEDI TP

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

WARLOCK REBIRTH #4 (OF 5)

WEB OF CARNAGE #1

Story: Ram V, more | Art:  Francesco Manna | Cover: Kendrick “Kunkka” Lim | Teen+ | $5.99

CARNAGE SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH!

As Cletus Kasady exacts his vengeance on an unsuspecting city and CARNAGE REIGNS across the Marvel Universe, THE CARNAGE SYMBIOTE remains left to its own devices, adrift among the stars. With its purpose renewed after the DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE, Carnage has scant few hurdles between it and a glorious ascension to the throne of the King in Black … and the first is named MORLUN.

• “Summer of Symbiotes” tie-in.

WHAT IF...? DARK: LOKI #1

Story/Art: Walter Simonson | Art: Scot Eaton | Covers: Walter Simonson, Gabrielle Dell'Otto | Teen+ | $4.99

WHAT IF LOKI WIELDED MJOLNIR?

In WHAT IF ...? DARK: LOKI #1, Walter Simonson returns to the world of THOR alongside artist Scot Eaton. But this time, Loki’s in charge! A tale of one of Asgard’s worst days — and one of Loki’s best.

Home to some of the most memorable and thought-provoking stories in the Marvel Comics mythos, WHAT IF? was the series where anything could happen! This summer, the imaginations of comic creators and fans will run wild once again in a new series of WHAT IF? one-shots called WHAT IF …? DARK.

Legendary creators and rising stars alike will revisit iconic stories in Marvel Comics history and ask: What would happen if things took a dark turn? Explore alternate possibilities in unexpected ways — featuring amazing, incredible and uncanny variants of all your favorite heroes like Spider-Man, Venom, Loki and more!

• Ooh! Walt Simonson back on Thor! (Kinda!)
  • Here's a preview.

X-FORCE #42

Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Paul Davidson | Cover: Joshua Cassara | Variants: James Stokoe, Carlos Gomez, Nic Klein | Parental Advisory | $3.99

THE GHOST CALENDARS!

Alongside artist Paul Davidson, Benjamin Percy’s redefining work on Beast also continues in X-FORCE #42. Beast’s epic long game plays out in the only way it could — with Nimrod’s ultimate plan successful, Hank McCoy survives and thrives! But what will this mean for mutantkind, and does X-Force still have time to stop it? Beast’s shocking character arc has been one of the most talked about plot threads of the Krakoan age and fans won’t want to miss the centuries-long culmination of this years-in-the-making journey!

• "Fall of X" lead-up.
  • Here's a preview.

X-MEN #101 FACSIMILE EDITION

• This the first time Jean Grey returned from the dead. Who in 1976 could have predicted it would become her hobby?

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST — DOOMSDAY #1 (OF 4)

Story: Marc Guggenheim | Art: Manuel García | Covers: Geoff Shaw, Chris Allen, Erica D'Urso, Rob Liefeld, Mico Suaya, Stefano Caselli | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Just in time for the X-Men’s 60th anniversary, fans can discover more about one of their most influential storylines this July in X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST — DOOMSDAY! Written by X-Men superstar Marc Guggenheim and drawn by acclaimed artist Manuel García, the new limited series will reveal the never-before-told saga that preceded Chris Claremont and John Byrne’s groundbreaking Days of Future Past storyline.

Told in 1981 within the pages of Uncanny X-Men #141–142, “Days of Future Past” enriched the X-Men’s mythology with the introduction of new core concepts like time travel and alternate universes, and raised the stakes of the X-Men’s mission by showing readers what the future held if they failed. Over the years, “Days of Future Past” has inspired spin-offs, film, television, and more, and now it’s time to witness the thirty-year descent into this iconic dystopic future where mutantkind was crushed under the full might of the Sentinel program!

Beginning at the pivotal moment that Kate Pryde desperately tried to alter in the original story and taking readers right up the legendary opening pages of Uncanny X-Men #141, the series will reveal all the dark history behind “Days of Future Past,” complete with the previously untold deaths of key mutant characters, superhero guest stars, and shocking revelations.

In a world where mutants are more than simply hated and feared, but not yet slain and apprehended, the assassination of Senator Kelly comes to pass, bringing with it the Mutant Control Act and Sentinels on every corner. But with mutantkind on the back foot, what lengths will Kate Pryde, Wolverine, Colossus, Storm, Banshee, Cyclops, Angel, Professor X, and the rest of the X-Men go in order to find some way to survive? And what scheme of Magneto will bring about their ultimate DOOMSDAY?

“Growing up, I never thought I’d get the chance to write the X-Men as many times as I have. I particularly never thought I’d be able to play around in the amazing timeline that Chris Claremont and John Byrne brought to life in Days of Future Past,” Guggenheim shared. “I still have the most vivid memory of visiting the stationery store where I used to buy my comics and seeing Uncanny X-Men #141 on the rack. That iconic cover blew my nine year-old mind.

“My goal with this story is to fill in some missing gaps in the thirty-year period that Kate Pryde summarized in just four panels back in the day. Prior familiarity with the original story won’t be required. The end result is an event that feels like the X-Men story to end all X-Men stories. At least, that’s the bullseye we’re aiming at!”

“This future timeline has always been such fertile ground for stories, and for the first time we’re getting the bigger picture only hinted at in various spin-offs over the years,” Editor Mark Basso added. “There’s some details fans have been waiting decades to understand the context of, as well as completely untold facets that bring will bring the Days of Future Past fully into focus for the first time.”

Learn the full story behind one of Marvel Comics’ most timeless tales this July in X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST — DOOMSDAY #1!

• First, and for the record, "Days of Future Past" began in The X-Men #141. The title didn't officially become Uncanny X-Men until issue #142. It bugs me that the title changed in the middle of a famous two-parter, but if I have to deal with it for life, so does Marvel. It's their fault, anyway!
  • Second, we know how this ends. Kinda takes the steam out, doesn't it?
  • Here's a preview.

MORE COMICS

ACTION JOURNALISM TP

Story: Eric Skillman | Art: Ramon Perez, Max Sarin, Erica Henderson, Jorge Coehlo, Dave Baker | ArtCover: Miklos Felvideki | Oni Press | 120 pages | $21.99

Action Journalism's favorite intrepid reporter, Kate Kelly, is New Arcadia's most trusted source for hard-hitting news. Always on the hunt for the next exclusive scoop, Kate and her trusty team infiltrate alien fleets, mad-scientist conventions, and fantasy kingdoms, all in search of the biggest stories the universe has to offer. But excitement seems to follow Kate everywhere as she keeps winding up in the middle of the story, risking it all to save the day! 

• Sadly, I no longer believe that journalists can do the sort of thing described above. There was a time, yes, when the rich and powerful were concerned about the power of the press. That time has passed. Elon Musk responds to press inquiries with the poop emoji. One of our major political parties labels anything that isn't right-wing propaganda as "fake news." Politicians lie to reporters and on news programs and in town halls with literal impunity, as there are no consequences. And so on. To me, stories like this are fairy tales.

AIR VOL 3 TP

ANIMAL CASTLE VOL 2 #3

ARCA TP

Story: Van Jensen | Art/Cover: Jesse Lonergan | IDW | Teen $16.00

The world burned. When society fell apart, a select group of billionaires had an escape hatch: a rocket aimed at the nearest habitable planet, a ship equipped with many of the luxuries of life on Earth-why survive if you can't survive in style? Their every need is tended to by teenagers who are willing to act as slaves in return for the promise of a new life. This is a good story. But, like so many stories, it is not true. Inside a great, sealed survival chamber, one slave — a teenage girl named Persephone — discovers that the promised future of comfort is a myth. And with that knowledge, she must fight for her survival against the billionaires, who would gladly kill her to protect the hidden truth.

• If I had a daughter, I would not name her Persephone. That's just asking for trouble.

ASCENCIA #18

ASTROBOTS #3 (OF 5)

BECOMING FRANKENSTEIN VOL 1 TP

Story: Mel Smith, Paul H. Birch | Art/Cover: Frank Cirocco | 10 Ton Press | $19.99

Saved too late from his nightmares and fueled by darkness, grave deeds would be committed on his behalf, ones he chose not to escape, becoming and even more daring in his arrogance. Becoming Frankenstein was not easy, and it's even worse for those who stood in his path. Herein lies the stories of those who suffered and died, with their corpses dissected to help make Victor Frankenstein's dream come true. Collecting all six issues of the hit comic book series Becoming Frankenstein, including unseen artwork from the series.

• I don't remember seeing the individual issues of this. But it looks like the story I've always wanted, of Mary Shelley's real monster.

BLACK DEMON TALES #2 (OF 3)

BLACK TAPE TP

BOBBY DIGITAL AND THE PIT OF SNAKES

Story: Ryan O'Sullivan, RZA  | Art: Vasilis Lolos | Z2 Comics | Mature | $19.99

Who are you, what is real? This is the question Bobby Digital is seeking to answer. Embracing his id, ego and superego he embarks on a quest to figure out the nature of his reality and himself.

He will be ambushed by enemies unknown, he will be tried in ways most men can't endure. Will he be victorious? Most of all will he survive the Pit of Snakes?!

From the mind of the legendary RZA, Bobby Digital and The Pit of Snakes will coincide with the relaunch of the iconic character and be synced to music that will melt your mind.

• I prefer my heroes to be analog. But as Captain Kirk says, "Young minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant."

CAT FIGHT #2

CON & ON #1 (OF 5)

Story: Paul Cornell | Art: Cresta, Marika | Cover: Mauricet | Ahoy Comics | Mature | $3.99

Writer Paul Cornell (Doctor Who) and artist Marika Cresta (Captain Carter) follow an ensemble cast of media pros and fans down through the decades of America's most colossal comic book convention! Meet Eddie and Deja — aspiring comics talents whose ambitions threaten to tear their friendship apart; Anthony, Don & Finn — brilliant, boozy, bombastic British creators; and all of the crusty editors, forgotten TV stars, and enthusiastic fans who make the convention experience memorable, year after year. This book kicks off the fifth anniversary of AHOY Comics, featuring the company's usual assortment of extra prose stories and illustrations!

• Here are people I don't know, having a party without me, so eh. But I'm not a con-goer, so perhaps this is interesting to those who are.

DEAD MALL TP

DEATH COMES FOR THE TOYMAKER #1

Story: Dakota Brown | Art: Ryan Cody | Cover: Joe Borcado | Scout | $4.99

Death comes for us all. But for Gil the Toymaker, the visit is a real tragedy. Every year, the holiday gift-giver is forced to do the work of Death, carrying a list of ready-to-harvest souls alongside his naughty list and nice list. As the Toymaker reflects on the relationship he's had with Death for several millennia, an associate reveals a scheme that may just put an end to Death's contract (and, perhaps, Death himself).

“Scout Comics is the vanguard of the creator-owned comics movement. When you see the Scout logo on a book at your local comic shop, you know what's inside is an exciting, wholly original story deserving of the Scout branding. To be included among the unique and innovative creators under the Scout umbrella is an honor I will always strive to live up to with my writings.” — Dakota Brown, writer/creator

Reviews & Testimonials

Death Comes for the Toymaker is a delight. And, yes, it's complex and challenging and exciting and dark, and those qualities are all good reasons to read this excellent book from writer Dakota Brown and artist Ryan Cody. But if you want to know why you should read it, it's as simple as that. It's a delight. Treat yourself. — Van Jensen

• Santa Claus' name is "Gil"?

DIABLO: LEGENDS OF THE BARBARIAN GN

Story: John Arcudi | Art: Geraldo Borges | Blizzard Entertainment |  $19.95

Don't miss this exclusive, original Diablo graphic novel chronicling the rise of Bul-Kathos, progenitor of the barbarian class, and his ancient charge to defend Mount Arreat. Long before Bul-Kathos became known as the father of barbarians, he was father to only two: his twin children, Naarah and Hiram. Naarah followed her father's path and became a great fighter, but the ways of their tribe never came naturally to Hiram. After years on walkabout, Hiram returns to his family, having discovered a new way ... and a new power he seeks to claim with his father's help. From the Diablo development and author-artist duo John Arcudi and Geraldo Borges comes an unforgettable, stunningly illustrated tale.

• If you have skulls on your throne, you might be the baddie.

DON’T SPIT IN THE WIND #4 (OF 4)

EARTHDIVERS #8

EC ARCHIVES: VAULT OF HORROR VOL 3 TP

EERIE TALES FROM THE SCHOOL OF SCREAMS GN

Story/Art: Graham Annable | First Second Books | $14.99

Box Trolls director Graham Annable pens a hair-raising graphic novel collecting five original scary stories for middle-grade readers. School is tough. School is scary. School is eerie. No one knows this better than Davis and Emily. But they're not scared of school because of tough tests or merciless vice principals. They're scared because their teacher wants her students to present the class with the spookiest, most chilling stories they can think of. From the twisted mind of Graham Annable comes five horrifying stories that will scare your skeleton right out of your skin. Are you ready to stare down "The Face in the Forest"? Do you think you can handle the truth behind "The Village that Vanished?"

• The kids look like something out of '50s cartoons, but Ren & Stimpy showed that can be a plus.

EIGHT LIMBS GN

Story: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Giulia Lalli | Cover: Dan Panosian | Humanoids | $19.99

Joanna, a retired Muay Thai champion, takes in a troubled foster teen and decides to train her ... until the teen lands herself in a dangerous situation and Joanna must re-enter the ring to fight for her new family! From writer Stephanie Phillips (Grim, Harley Quinn) and artist Giulia Lalli comes a story of found family and choosing to fight.

• Nice cover.

ETERNUS #6

EXCITING COMICS #36

FRANK FRAZETTA DEATH DEALER #14

• This week's Frazetta painting.

GFT PRESENTS SWIMSUIT ED 2023 ONE-SHOT

GHOSTLORE #3

GREAT BRITISH BUMP-OFF #4 (OF 4)

GROO: IN THE WILD #1 (OF 4)

Story: Mark Evanier & Sergio Aragonés | Art: Sergio Aragonés | Letters: Stan Sakai | Colors: Carrie Strachan | $4.99

Groo the Wanderer is back and stupider than ever ... which is pretty stupid. In this, his latest miniseries, he tries to figure out the dumb way human beings attempt to co-exist with animals on this planet. And if we can't figure out how to do that, what chance does the guy with cheese dip for brains have?

Dark Horse Comics, Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier return with yet another Groo adventure in Groo: In the Wild! Written by Eisner Award-winning creators Sergio Aragonés and Mark Evanier, illustrated by Sergio Aragonés, lettered by Stan Sakai, and colored by Carrie Strachan, Groo and his faithful friend Rufferto find themselves in a new land with an old problem: Nothing to eat and nothing to buy food with.

Usually, the answer would involve hunting but in this new locale, there’s a frightening lack of anything to hunt. No matter where the Wanderer wanders, he and his dog don’t find any animals of the delicious variety. In fact, they find precious few animals at all ... a fact that, like everything else in the world, Groo cannot understand. Where did they all go?

Praise for Groo:

“Mark and Sergio have upped the ante for the idiot barbarian, taking him to a new level (literally) and proving that some things never change. Top-notch stuff!” — Major Spoilers

“Thank heaven for Sergio Aragones's Groo and the continuing adventures of this clueless character. Funny and thoughtful all ages reading that will have you heaping praises on each contributor.” — SciFi Pulse

“Plenty of comedy, great story and art, and a fantastic story for all ages. I can never not recommend Groo, and I don't intent to start now.” — Outright Geekery

• I hope Evanier and Aragones live forever, and make Groo forever.

GRIM VOL 2 TP

HAILSTONE TP

Story: Rafael Scavone | Cover: Rafael Albuquerque | Art/Cover: Rafael de Latorre | Dark Horse | $22.99

In the isolated Montana town of Hailstone, cut off from the outside world by a brutal winter, food is running low and people are going missing. Desperate townsfolk turn to Sheriff Denton Ross and the nearby Military factory for help. But why is the factory here, so far from the war? And how is it able to supply the Union forces with the town cut off by snow? In their search for answers, Sheriff Ross and his deputy Tobias will discover dark secrets about the mysterious factory, their seemingly sleepy town, and Ross's own past that will change their lives forever ... if they survive.

• I'm guessing cannibalism is the big reveal here.
  • Nice cover.

HE-MAN EFFECT: HOW AMERICAN TOYMAKERS SOLD YOUR CHILDHOOD HC

Story/Art: Box Brown | First Second Books | $26.99

Brian "Box" Brown brings history and culture to life through his comics. In his next graphic novel, he unravels how marketing that targeted children in the 1980s has shaped adults in the present. Powered by the advent of television and super-charged by the deregulation era of the 1980s, media companies and toy manufacturers joined forces to dominate the psyches of American children. But what are the consequences when a developing brain is saturated with the same kind of marketing bombardment found in Red Scare propaganda? In The He-Man Effect, Brown shows us how corporate manipulation brought muscular, accessory-stuffed action figures to dizzying heights, bringing beloved brands like He-Man, Transformers, My Little Pony and even Mickey Mouse himself into the spotlight.

• Subjectively, we all know that Saturday morning cartoons turned into toy commercials sometimes in the '70s. But it's nice to have an objective reference.

HELLBOY IN LOVE #5 (OF 5)

THE HUNGER AND THE DUSK #1

Story: Gwendolyn Willow Wilson | Art/Cover: Christian Wildgoose | IDW | $3.99

IDW is proud to announce The Hunger and the Dusk, an ongoing comic book series by Hugo- and World Fantasy Award-winning writer G. Willow Wilson (Ms. Marvel, Wonder Woman, Poison Ivy) and all-star artist Chris Wildgoose (Batgirl: Rebirth, Batman: Nightwalker). Debuting in July, Wilson’s self-proclaimed dream project is a high fantasy tour de force promising heartrending drama, pulse-quickening romance, awe-inspiring world-building, and bloody carnage to satisfy every manner of genre fan!

In a dying world, only humans and orcs remain, mortal enemies battling for territory and political advantage. But when a group of fearsome ancient humanoids known as the Vangol arrive from across the sea, the two struggling civilizations are forced into a fragile alliance to protect what they have built.

As a gesture of his commitment to the cause, the most powerful orc overlord, Troth Icemane, sends his beloved cousin, Tara, a high-ranking young healer, to fight alongside brash human commander Callum Battlechild and his company of warriors. With a crisis looming, the success of this unlikely pair’s partnership and the survival of their peoples will depend on their ability to unlearn a lifetime of antagonistic instincts toward one another … and rise above the sting of heartbreak.

“During the pandemic, I thought a lot about the many different times in history when the world has come to an end. I was also revisiting the science fiction and fantasy comfort food that I grew up with, and bit by bit, almost like a bedtime story, this saga — with orcs and humans banding together in a world that is slowly becoming uninhabitable, with enemies facing the choice to stand together or die separately — began to take shape,” says Wilson. “Ordinarily, high fantasy is not something I write a lot of, but coming out of the pandemic, I thought, ‘To hell with it. Death is coming for us all. Do what you love. Write the hot orc saga.’ And here we are!”

“My emotions are running high as The Hunger and the Dusk gets closer to finally being out into the wild,” says Wildgoose. “From the start, Willow handed me this lovely, detailed lore bible of the orc dynasties, their marriage ceremonies, what animals the different tribes hunt, bits of their folklore, where they migrate in the winter. Then we have the humans. Again, she gave me their history, details on some of the cities we may or may not even see in the first series. It was everything I’d hoped for as a starting point, and from there, Willow has let me work in my own high-fantasy tastes. It feels like a seamless union of two nerdy fantasy fans, and I’ve loved every second of the collaboration so far.”

Of their collaboration, Wilson says, “Chris is incredibly meticulous. There’s a reason for every little bit of decoration on every costume. He’s figured out how the armor fits over the clothing underneath. I try to avoid riding scenes when possible because horses tend to be difficult and annoying for artists to draw, but he went all-in and came up with entirely new types of riding animals. It’s just unreal. It’s a fully developed universe. His work on this book is on another level.”

The Hunger and the Dusk will be colored by MsassyK and lettered by Simon Bowland. In speaking of the final product, Wildgoose says, “Hoo boy! It is just everything I have ever wanted one of my books to look like."

“I burned through superlatives to describe The Hunger and the Dusk halfway through development, and nothing I say can match the experience of witnessing the work speak for itself,” says senior editor Maggie Howell. “The amount of thought and love that went into each page is loud and clear and almost unbelievable. This series is a passion project from a creative team at the top of their game, who have poured their hearts into telling a story both urgent and addictive and making Cal, Tara, Troth and Faran every reader’s new favorite characters. IDW is immensely proud to be its home.”

Each issue of The Hunger and The Dusk will be available with multiple variant covers for fans and retailers to enjoy. Each issue’s Cover A will feature series artist Chris Wildgoose, while Cover B will spotlight the sensational art of Cliff Chiang (Wonder Woman, Paper Girls). Rotating contributors will grace each Cover C month to month, with InHyuk Lee (Mighty Morphin, The Flash), Nick Robles (The Dreaming: Waking Hours), and Jessica Fong (Poison Ivy) assuming cover art duties for the first three issues respectively.

• I don't care if the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I'm not teaming up with any species that considers me dinner.

JOHN CARPENTER’S NIGHT TERRORS: USHER DOWN TP

JON SABLE FREELANCE: MASTERSTROKE OMNIBUS ED HC

Story/Art: Mike Grell | ComicMix | $125.00

Mike Grell's legendary Jon Sable Freelance set new standards for storytelling in comics, ushering in an era of excellence that changed comics forever. From the African plains to the concrete jungle of New York, now you can experience all the pulse-pounding action and excitement in a larger format than ever before as one of the best-reviewed comics of all time gets the treatment it deserves in this Absolute-sized deluxe Masterstroke Edition, remastered and recolored for the 21st century! Reprints Jon Sable Freelance #1-13.

• I actively disliked Grell's work, but I know this series is close to the heart of many a Legionnaire. So here 'tis, for them's what want it.

JUNGLE COMICS #18

LAMENTATION #3

LEGACY OF VIOLENCE #7 (OF 12)

LIQUID KILL #6 (OF 6)

THE LONESOME HUNTERS: THE WOLF CHILD #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Tyler Crook | Dark Horse | $3.99

Dark Horse Comics presents the next leg in Howard and Lupe’s journey in The Lonesome Hunters: The Wolf Child. Tyler Crook returns to write, draw and letter the next story arc in his hit fantasy comic series.  

After defeating the Magpie Queen with a powerful ancient sword, monster hunters Howard and Lupe are on their way to get rid of it when car trouble leaves them stranded in a small town that is being terrorized by a magical wolf and a mysterious child in a wolf mask. While waiting for car repairs, Lupe befriends the child and she and Howard are drawn into a war between the townspeople and the deadly beasts.

"I'm super excited to be continuing the story of Howard and Lupe,” said Crook. “The Lonesome Hunters is the most personal and emotional story I've ever worked on and the way readers have reacted to the story and connected to the characters has been amazing."

Praise for The Lonesome Hunters:

"The Lonesome Hunters is everything I love about comics. Tyler Crook has created a mesmerizing new world, a compelling mythology, and brought it all to life with his jaw-dropping painted art. I loved it!" — Jeff Lemire

"Crook is a masterful storyteller who has already laid the groundwork for a new and fascinating mythology with this first issue." — Biff Bam Pop

“It’s a wonderful thing to read a book and feel in your bones what it would be like to stand in the room depicted on the page — the atmosphere is palpable." —Multiversity Comics

"These four issues offer enough to enjoy in a single sitting but suggest a vast universe of diabolical happenings that deserves a half dozen trade paperbacks or more." — Film School Rejects

• Second Lonesome Hunters miniseries.

MAN IN MCINTOSH SUIT TP

Story: Rina Ayuyang | Art/Cover: Rina Ayuyang | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $24.95

A Filipino-American take on Depression-era noir featuring mistaken identities, speakeasies and lost love. When migrant farm worker Bobot's cousin writes, claiming to have spotted his estranged wife in nearby San Francisco, he swipes a co-worker's favorite nightclub suit and heads to the big city to find her. What follows is classic noir with seedy dives, mouthy pool sharks and obsession.

• What a cool idea.

MASHBONE & GRIFTY #1

Story: Oscar Garza | Art: Rolando Esquivel | Cover: Crystal Gonzalez | Scout-Chispa | $4.99

CHISPA. NONSTOP. In order to save the community from the city's seedy underbelly (and pay rent and bar tabs!), failed security guard Grifty and his mutant monkey-man best friend Mashbone set up a DIY private detective agency at their favorite bar. Their first client comes along just as the duo's latest bar tab is called in. As quickly as it begins, the case leads the inept gumshoes into more danger than the two losers can handle!

• This looks like it's for kids, but it mentions bar tabs, so probably not.

MIDNIGHT WESTERN THEATRE WITCH TRIAL #1

Story: Louis Southard | Art: Butch K. Mapa | Cover: Julianne Griepp | Scout | $4.99

Midnight Western Theatre returns in this daring prequel to the original series! Before the Woman in Black, there was only Ortensia Thomas: a young girl in a wild west filled with threats both supernatural and all too human. With a new cast of characters and her blackclad destiny looming over her, witness Ortensia like you've never seen her before!

• Another cool cover. 
  • I was over-saturated with Westerns as a youngster, and came to despise them (and the phony tropes that informed them, like "savages," showdowns at noon, selfless cowboys, heroic settlers, etc.). In my dotage, I find that I like them just fine, as long as they have none of the above, and are a bit weird.

MINOR THREATS VOL 1: QUICK END TO A LONG BEGINNING TP

Story: Patton Oswalt, Jordan Blum | Art/Cover: Scott Hepburn | Dark Horse | 136 pages | $19.99

Minor Threats, the first creator-owned comic series from Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum, showrunners of Marvel’s M.O.D.O.K on Hulu, receives a new paperback collection in Minor Threats Volume 1: A Long End to a New Beginning. Artist Scott Hepburn (Orchid), colorist Ian Herring (Ms. Marvel, Spiderverse), and letterer Nate Piekos (Stranger Things: The Other Side, Black Hammer Reborn), round out this super-creative team. The collected volume will also include pin-up artwork from Mike Mignola, Kevin Maguire, Francesco Francavilla and Tess Fowler.

It’s hard out there for a supervillain. Not the world conquerors, chaos engines, or arch-nemeses ... but the little guys, the career criminals. The ones who put on uniforms, knock over jewelry stores and get tied to telephone poles before the hero swings off to face the actual big bad. Times are tough for costumed crooks, and they’re about to get much worse. The psychotic Stickman has done the unthinkable and murdered Kid Dusk, sidekick to Twilight City’s premier crime-fighter, The Insomniac. The Insomniac’s teammates, The Continuum, are tearing Twilight apart, turning it into a terrifying police state — desperate to capture the Stickman and stop the Insomniac from “crossing that final line” in which he may never come back from. Caught in the middle are the small-time C-list villains, finding it impossible to pull jobs or even walk down the street without being harassed by these heroes. With a bounty on the Stickman’s head, former villain Playtime decides to put together a ragtag team of equally disgruntled supervillains to take down the Stickman and kill him themselves, leading her on a dark journey into the criminal underbelly she’s tried so hard to escape.

Praise for Minor Threats:

Minor Threats #1 boasts a truly excellent script that feels like a perfect love letter to the fun and silliness of classic costumed caper comics as well as the classic underdog trope.” — Comic Watch

“Patton Oswalt and Jordan Blum have created an homage to all super-powered comic books that have come before it with a satisfying narrative that lovingly, questioningly, pokes at the rules of superheroes and the worlds they inhabit.” — Multiversity Comics

“This is a slice of high-concept, perfectly-pitched superhero fun that blends established tropes into a fresh, enthusiastic love letter to comic book excess.” — Big Comic Page

"Minor Threats is exactly what one would expect from Patton Oswalt — it's intelligent, funny and twisted. I’m also worried about him." — Judd Apatow

“I was hooked from the first page! Minor Threats is delicious, villainous dark pop that churns up the world of the marginalized and serves up a decadent and dangerous feast, all presented in glorious bombastic visual eye-fuckery that has re-ignited my love of comics. At last, something cool in a world where nothing is cool.” — Taika Waititi

"Minor Threats is a hardcore blast from the bad brain of Patton Oswalt. I love the full-on collision of his grimy, superhero underworld; with eye-poppingly gorgeous splash pages of art by Scott Hepburn. A naughty peek under the cape that you'll devour like contraband.” — Edgar Wright

• I don't usually post info on collections, but A) Dark Horse sent this to me, and B) Patton Oswalt has earned his geek cred 100 times over.

MURDER INC JAGGER ROSE #3 (OF 6)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: REVENANCE #4

NINJA FUNK VOL 1 TP

OCCULTED TP

Story: Ryan Estrada, Amy Rose | Art: Jeongmin Lee | Iron Circus | Middle Grade (10-12) | 168 pages | $15.00

It’s 1997 and young Amy Rose has always known that something is off about her community. She’s forbidden from going to school or even going outside; after all, their leader says there’s no use knowing anything about a world that’s about to end. When the Hale-Bopp comet soars across the sky for the first time in over 4,000 years, Amy thinks it’s a good omen signaling the start of an amazing new future. Instead, it brings news of a horrible tragedy at a similar compound just down the road called Heaven’s Gate. Televised news reports invade the temple walls and Amy hears a new word that suddenly explains everything: cult.

Now, she must risk everything to indulge in secret trips to an abandoned off-limits library to learn what she was never meant to know: that Gandhi was not a space alien, that Star Trek wasn’t real, that her community was built on a lie, and most importantly, that banned books can give her everything she needs to escape.

Occulted is a shocking graphic memoir about the power of literary freedom. Survivor Amy Rose, Banned Book Club co-author Ryan Estrada, and artist Jeongmin Lee tell a haunting, inspiring tale of bravery and rebellion, about how to recognize those who try to control you, and how to fight back.

PANYA: THE MUMMY’S CURSE #1

Story: Chris Roberson | Art/Cover: Christopher Mitten | Dark Horse | $3.99

Thousands of years before Hellboy, the B.P.R.D., and Ragna Rok, there was Panya. As a girl in ancient Egypt, she witnessed the fall of a dynasty and was gifted-or cursed-with visions of the beginning, the end, and the coming of the dragon... 

Mike Mignola and Chris Roberson join creative forces with artist Christopher Mitten and colorist Michelle Madsen to bring Panya's story to life.

• Oh, right, Panya was the weird old lady at BPRD, who had lived so long she was part mummy or something.
  • Here's a preview.

PAST TENSE TP

Story: Jason McNamara | Art/Cover: Alberto Massaggia | Dark Horse | $19.99

Dark Horse Books proudly teams up with writer Jason McNamara (The Rattler) to bring you the neo-noir thriller Past Tense. A chilling futuristic tale exploring our ever-evolving technological world and the struggles of maintaining personal privacy. McNamara is joined by esteemed indie comic veterans Alberto Massaggia (Hotline Miami: Wildlife), who did the ink and pencil work for the graphic novel, and colorist Paul Little (Bomb Queen), with cover art by Alberto and Sonia Harris (The Bounce). 

Ashley is a tour guide at PAST TENSE, a company that sends camera drones into the past to view history’s most depraved events. When Ashley discovers Silas Green, an unknown serial killer working in the past, she begins hosting “exclusive” tours of his murders. The only problem? Silas is still alive in the present. And when he learns of his newfound infamy, he is inspired to come out of retirement to make Ashley his final victim, now and forever.

"To me, horror works best when it reflects real-world concerns,” says Jason McNamara, “if we have a modern bogeyman, it is our loss of privacy. I wanted to couple that with my fascination with unsolved mysteries. What if we could send a hidden camera back through time, not to change history, but to view it as it truly occurred?

I believe that we, like Ashley, would eventually stumble across a secret best left undiscovered. "

"Ashley is just that kind of character that I love to work on,” Alberto Massaggia says, “She's strong and stubborn, with a hint of cynicism because, a bit like all of us, she has to go through the challenges of life that become more complicated day by day.

And when everything will be against her another time, she has to use just these features to face the distress and the pain that stands out in front of her.”

Praise for The Rattler:

“A dark and compelling mystery that holds a horrible and psychologically charged secret at its core, "The Rattler" is a fantastic effort in giving me flop sweat while I read a comic.” — Multiversity Comics

"I’m thankful to know that a graphic novel can still keep me on the edge of my seat with every panel." — Nerdlocker

"McNamara hauntingly explores just how easy it is for good people to go bad." — Publishers Weekly

PIMP KILLER GN

Story: Ghezal Omar | Art/Cover: Ayhan Hayrula | Phoenix Studios | $20.00

Got pimp problems? Then LA Jones is your woman. She's made a nice little business for herself over the last few years: hunting down pimps. Following the murder of a young woman in Reno, she turns her attention to Luciano "Lucky" Strykes, a low-life pimp hiding out in Hollywood. Lucky is notorious for torturing women who try to flee him, and LA is more than willing to dish out her own brand of justice, making this a match made in vengeance.

• OK, I wouldn't say killing pimps is wrong, per se. But it is illegal. You really should forbear.

POWERS VOL 4 TP

PSYCHODRAMA ILLUSTRATED #6

QUICK STOPS HC

RESIDENT ALIEN VOL 7: BOOK OF LOVE TP

RICK AND MORTY: HEART OF RICKNESS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Michael Moreci | Art: Priscilla Tramontano | Cover: Troy Little | Oni Press | Mature | $4.99

After Summer blows his cover, Rick flees a shady deal with space mobsters and ends up stranded with the kids on a planet mysteriously devoid of any technology they could use to repair the ship. When they're intercepted by savage, furry loincloth-wearing versions of themselves, they discover technology has been forcibly removed from this society, along with their hopes for an easy escape. Will it be enough for Rick to find a way off planet, or does he also have to prove who's the Rickest Rick of them all?

• I can't look at Rick and Morty without thinking of Rich Lane. Dang.

ROBYN HOOD ANNUAL: INVASION

ROCKETEER IN THE DEN OF THIEVES #1

Story: Stephen Mooney | Art: David Messina | Cover: Gabriel Rodriguez | IDW | All Ages | $4,99

The Rocketeer is grounded! After Cliff and Betty's adventures in Europe — with Cliff losing the Great Race but saving the day — he and Betty return home with a busted jet pack and a fully repaired relationship! They're as happy as they've ever been ... but paradise doesn't last long! An elite band of Nazis, foiled in the past by their attempts to construct their own jet packs, decide on a new tactic: kidnapping the only person who can enable them to create their very own fleet of Rocketeers ... Cliff's beloved friend and mentor Peevy!

• As I've said before, there's no reason to continue Rocketeer without Dave Stevens.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SAVAGE SQUAD 6 #1 (OF 4)

10999234877?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Robert Vendetti, Art/Cover: Dalts Dalton | Colors: Gerlad Filho | Letters: Micah Myers | Dark Horse | $3.99

This miniseries tells the tale of an elite team of post-apocalyptic soldiers undergoing the deadliest mission of their lives.

The year is 2037. A brutal world war has left humanity in shambles. The remnants of civilization are tracked down and systematically eliminated by The Scourge. For the people of the central colonies, only one hope remains, an elite team of warrior women deployed into the deadliest location on the planet: Savage Squad 6!

“Brock and I have been writing together for years, and we’ve been friends even longer,” says writer Robert Venditti. “For the first McDitti collaboration, we wanted to bring all the fun and abandon of 1980s-‘90s action films to comics. Savage Squad 6 is everything we love about explosive firefights, impossible odds, and heroes who never say die.”

Praise for Robert Venditti and Brockton McKinney:

"Jenny Zero #1 combines fantastic visuals with an intriguing story for a promising debut issue.” — Multiversity Comics

“This issue features both a pitch perfect continuation of the classic Superman films and a stand-alone, continuity free Superman tale. The script captures the voices of the characters and the actors, while the art is absolutely fantastic. This is a must-read for any fan.” — ButWhyTho on Superman ’78 #1

SECOND COMING TRINITY #4 (OF 6)

SECOND FAKE DEATH OF EDDIE CAMPBELL & FATE OF THE ARTIST HC

12131255258?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Eddie Campbell | IDW | Teen | $29.99

Eddie Campbell is not himself. But these days, who is? It's metafictional mystery and mischief as the award-winning artist of From Hell sets out to find his own imposter.

Plus, on the flipside: a deluxe new presentation of The Fate of the Artist, Eddie Campbell's classic work of graphic meta-memoir! SIDE A: The Second Fake Death of Eddie Campbell, by Eddie Campbell, is a spiritual sequel to his acclaimed graphic novel The Fate of the Artist. Many years later, during an endless COVID lockdown in which everybody wears a mask and needs a haircut, Eddie's wife is certain that he has been supplanted by an imposter. She hires a detective to solve the mystery, and what follows — interspersed with Campbell's trademark wry anecdotes, dreams, parodic pastiches, and pandemic peccadilloes — is a thrilling investigation that builds to a car chase and a violent conclusion. SIDE B: The Fate of the Artist: In an autobiography, the author and the subject are the same person ... but now they've both gone missing. The Fate of the Artist is a complex weaving of different strains of invention including a mock prose detective story, an imaginary Sunday comic strip, a mock fumetti-style interview with the author's daughter, intertwined with Campbell's beloved brand of autobiographical comic storytelling.

• So this is where Eddie Campbell went.

SIRENS OF THE CITY #1

12131256700?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Joanne Starer | Art/Cover: Khary Randolph | BOOM | $4.99

New York City. 1980s.  Runaway teen Layla struggles to survive on the mean streets, far from home.

But now every supernatural creature from the darkest corners of the urban grime is after Layla ... and the child-to-be she never wanted growing inside her.

This gritty urban fantasy created by Joanne Starer (The Gimmick) and Excellence's Khary Randolph shines a light on bodily autonomy in a patriarchal world.

STAR TREK #10

STAR TREK: ECHOES #3

STAR WARS: HYPERSPACE STORIES VOL 1 TP

STEEL SIEGE #1 (OF 3)

12131257484?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Andrew Kafoury | Art: Eric Vargas, Silvia Signorini | Cover: Lee Moyer | Battle Quest Comics | $4.99

In a war-torn world, the Titan Mechs of House Shorah are on a rampage to annihilate their enemies in the last of the Generator Cities. The only hope for peace is a bitter ex-soldier, Vulture, and a diplomat, Dove, who must get across a battlefield filled with hundreds of deadly machines that will stop at nothing to destroy them.

SVENGOOLIE LOST IN TIME #1 (OF 2)

11004065089?profile=RESIZE_710x11004065271?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Rich Koz, Jim Roche, Chris Faulkner | Art: Jill Thompson, Art Baltazar, Franco | Art/Cover: Chris Jones | Frank Miller Presets | $7.99

In this first of two specials, MeTV sensation Svengoolie appears in his first full length comic book feature, as the evil Svenbot goes to the past to undo Svengoolie's future.  Learn the secrets behind Sven, and his crazy cast of friends, Boddy Sorrell, Tombstone and Kerwyn as told by the show's creators Rich (Svengoolie) Koz, Jim Roche and Chris Faulkner.

Buy this at your local store and remember, No Personal Checks!

• If you didn't grow up in Chicago, are you really excited about Svengoolie comics? Or Svengoolie anything? That's not snark, I'm genuinely asking.

TMNT ANNUAL 2023

12131257672?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Michael Walsh | Art: Vlad Legostaev | Cover: Michael Walsh | IDW | $6.99

The Ninja Turtles take to the streets for a simple patrol, but what they find will rock their shells! Realities collide in this oversized special issue where the Turtles come face to face with a threatening force from the future! Can the brothers band together to take down this mysterious foe?

TMNT ONGOING #141

• More TMNT

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES X STRANGER THINGS #1 (OF 4)

11035628495?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Cameron Chittock | Art/Cover: Fero Pe | IDW | $3.99

What happens when the kids from Hawkins visit the bustling, neon-tinged streets of New York City? Their world will be turned upside down all over again as they come across four totally radical reptiles in the ultimate 1980s nostalgia crossover, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x Stranger Things from IDW!

Written by Cameron Chittock (Mapmakers) with art by TMNT comic superstar Fero Pe, this first-ever comic book mash-up of Nickelodeon’s and Netflix’s beloved brands will hit stores as a four-issue comic book miniseries beginning in July.

Eleven, Max, Dustin, Mike, Will and Lucas are looking forward to a nonthreatening, fun-filled trip to New York City. With the gang hundreds of miles from the otherworldly weirdness of their hometown, they’re sure to catch a break this time … or at least that’s what they think until they encounter a threat both bizarre and familiar. To face that threat, they must unite with a fearsome fighting team every bit as bizarre … but green!

“I’ve loved the Ninja Turtles for quite literally as long as I can remember, and part of the brilliant alchemy of Stranger Things is that, ever since that first binge, it’s felt like it’s always been there. That’s a testament to Eastman, Laird and the Duffer brothers who tell stories that grab hold of you and don’t let go,” says Chittock. “Bringing their creations together is a surreal thrill, and we’re striving to fill every issue with moments worthy of their lofty standards. I can’t wait for fans to join us in 1985 to find out what’s lurking underneath New York.”

“It feels incredible to be the artist of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x Stranger Things,” says Pe. “For the art on this project, I wanted to do something unique, inspired by the era when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were created and the setting of the Stranger Things series. It’s a style close to the first Turtles comics from Mirage. I hope that the fans of both worlds enjoy it very much!”

“We are thrilled to bring these icons of the ’80s together,” says IDW editor Jonathan Manning. “The TMNT were born in comics in the ’80s and inspired the generation of fans to whom Mike, Eleven, Will, Dustin, Lucas and Max belong. You just know those kids have that treasured issue #1 lying around. Working with our partners at Dark Horse, we’re able to unite these characters, introducing new readers to classic Mirage Studios–era TMNT, continuing to build the world of Stranger Things in comics, and celebrating these legacy franchises.”

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles x Stranger Things #1 will be available with multiple cover variants for fans and retailers to enjoy, including Cover A by series artist Fero Pe, Cover B by Jorge Corona (Batgirls), Cover C by Jenn Woodall (Sleeping Beauties), Cover D by Adam Gorham (Jughead: The Hunger), and rare retailer incentive variants, including those by Rafael Albuquerque (Detective Comics) and Daniel Warren Johnson (Murder Falcon).

• There sure is a lot of TMNT product these days!

11035628671?profile=RESIZE_710x11035629071?profile=RESIZE_710x11035629080?profile=RESIZE_710x11035628880?profile=RESIZE_710x11035629258?profile=RESIZE_710x

TOM HOLLAND’S FRIGHT NIGHT #3

TRAGEDIE OF MACBETH GN

12131227683?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: William Shakespeare | Art: Stewart Kenneth Moore | Clover Press | $24.99

Shakespeare died over 400 and no story captures the mysticism and brutality of Scottish history quite like 'Macbeth'. This graphic novel aims to tell the darkest version yet of this tale of witchcraft, murder, manipulation and unbridled ambition.

Basing his drawings on Prague Shakespeare Company's adaptation of Shakespeare's masterpiece, Scottish artist Stewart Kenneth Moore has pulled double duty by documenting a stage performance in Prague by illustrating it against the starkest memories, places and myths of his own homeland. The pacing of the panels and scene setting serves to clarify aspects of the play that can be hard to understand on the stage.

In addition to this graphic novel adaptation, this volume also includes the original playscript by William Shakespeare. The combination of both the graphic novel and original script in a durable and handsome softcover makes this the perfect addition to the shelves of avid Shakespeare readers, collectors, librarians, students, and teachers.

• This might be nice to have on the bookshelf next to your other Shakespeare books. 
    • Here's a preview.

UNDERGROUND VOL 1: FIGHT CLUB GN

12131229078?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: J R De Bard | Saturday AM | Mature | $13.99

Karim Yun, a biracial taekwondo fighter, pits his skills against New York's most brutal underground martial artists. Seeking revenge against the violent gang who attacked him and ended his Olympic dreams, he's determined to battle every colorful combatant in his path. His only obstacle is the illness brought about by the violent attack, which could kill Karim if he becomes too reckless-serving as his conscience is his nurse, who is trying to push him into changing his lifestyle but is learning more about the danger and the allure of secret mixed martial arts contests. Created by black belt martial artist JR De Bard, this sports manga provides a detailed look into the world of underground fight clubs.

WASP VIDEO ROADHOUSE TP

12131229661?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Carlos Gonzalez | Floating World Comics | $24.95

Welcome to the club. A comic book potpourri collecting over a decade of fever dreams, lost highways, and psycho-sexual noir. If you can't get enough of crudely drawn mutilation fables, open this door. Then you can get back to your jazz albums and drinking.

• What th-!?

WE WICKED ONES #2

THE WORLD OF ASSASSIN’S CREED VALHALLA: JOURNEY TO THE NORTH — LOGS AND FILES OF A HIDDEN ONE DELUXE EDITION

10837294855?profile=RESIZE_710x

Dark Horse Books and Ubisoft proudly join together to bring you The World of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Journey to the North — Logs and Files of a Hidden One.

This 208-page hardcover volume features a detailed overview of the lore and history that inspired Assassin’s Creed Valhalla! This book comes in a Standard and Deluxe edition which will both be available at the same time.

This full-color, oversized hardcover is presented as a journal kept by Hytham himself, which allows readers to experience Assassin’s Creed Valhalla as they never have before. This tome chronicles Viking culture, history, lore, and mythology amid the action and drama of the hit video game.

Discover the history and culture of the Raven Clan Vikings as they struggle against the Order of the Ancients. Get an in-depth view of the setting of the game with descriptions and depictions of in-game characters and locals as the Vikings move from Norway to England, Ireland, and Francia. What best-kept secrets will you uncover at Hytham’s side?

The Deluxe edition includes a protective slipcase as well as an exclusive cover and a folio containing gallery-quality print.

The World of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: Journey to the North — Logs and Files of a Hidden One hardcover will be available for $39.99 for the Standard Edition and $99.99 for the Deluxe

10953864873?profile=RESIZE_710x

WYND BOOK 3: THRONE IN THE SKY HC

MORE MANGA

A GALAXY NEXT DOOR VOL 5 GN

ACID TOWN VOL 1 GN

ATTACK ON TITAN OMNIBUS VOL 11 (31-32)TP

BARBARITIES VOL 3 GN

CASE CLOSED VOL 87 GN

CINDERELLA CLOSET VOL 2 GN

DANDADAN VOL 4 GN

DEVIL’S CANDY VOL 3 GN

FAILURE FRAME VOL 6 GN

FINDER DELUXE ED VOL 12 GN

FLY ME TO THE MOON VOL 18 GN

HELCK VOL 4 GN

I BELONG TO BADDEST GIRL AT SCHOOL VOL 5 GN

I GET THE FEELING THAT NOBUKUNI LIKES ME VOL 3 GN

KAIJU NO 8 VOL 7 GN

KIRBY MANGA MANIA VOL 6 GN

• No, not that Kirby.

MALEVOLENT SPIRITS MONONOGATARI VOL 3

MAO VOL 12 GN

MOMO BLOOD TAKER VOL 5 GN

MY COWORKER HAS A SECRET VOL 2 GN

MY GIRLFRIEND’S CHILD VOL 2 GN 

MY NEW LIFE AS A CAT VOL 2 GN

MY REPAIR SKILL BECAME A VERSATILE CHEAT VOL 4 GN

NBX BATTLE FOR PUMPKIN KING #4 (OF 5)

NO LONGER ALLOWED IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 3 GN

OLDMAN VOL 4 GN

PARALLEL PARADISE VOL 14 GN

PERSONA 4 ARENA VOL 3 GN

SENGOKU YOUKO VOL 2 GN

SHAMAN: KING FLOWERS VOL 3 GN

SHIKIMORI’S NOT JUST A CUTIE VOL 13   GN

TWILIGHT OUT OF FOCUS VOL 2: AFTERIMAGES GN

WOLF GIRL BLACK PRINCE VOL 2 GN

WORLD’S GREATEST FIRST LOVE VOL 16 GN

MORE KIDS

ARCHIE SHOWCASE JUMBO DIGEST #14 CHRISTMAS IN JULY

BUZZING GN

DEAR ROSIE GN

LOUD HOUSE VOL 17: SIBLING RIVALRY HC

MY LITTLE PONY 40TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

NERVOUS REX #5

NINJA HIGH SCHOOL #188

PACEY PACKER VOL 2: HORN SLAYER GN

PEA BEE & JAY YR GN BIG BULLY

RISE OF TMNT: COMPLETE ADVENTURES TP

SMURFS 3-IN-1 VOL 9: GAMBLING SMURFS

SORT OF SUPER VOL 1 MAGMA CUP GN

STEVE L. McEVIL VOL 2: SECOND WIND GN

• "This the first time Jean Grey returned from the dead."

I don't know if this really counts (except retroactively). Hulk has returned from the dead far more often than Jean Grey... even prior to his becoming "Immortal." So has Captain America.

HOW AMERICAN TOYMAKERS SOLD YOUR CHILDHOOD HC

Nope. Peggy Charren and Action for Children's Television did their level best to ruin cartoons in the '70s, and I'm not supporting any book that pushes their wrong-headed agenda.

"I actively disliked Grell's work..."

I never knew that about you (did I?). Anyway, I like Grell, especially Jon Sable. The problem with JSF reprints is that the early issues of the run get reprinted in a variety of formats, but the later issues rarely do. IDW complete the run in their ":omnibus" format, but it was smaller than standard (probably trying to cash in on the manga craze, I would imagine).

• I don't know if this really counts (except retroactively). Hulk has returned from the dead far more often than Jean Grey... even prior to his becoming "Immortal." So has Captain America.

It's nice that Jean can find people with the same hobby.

Nope. Peggy Charren and Action for Children's Television did their level best to ruin cartoons in the '70s, and I'm not supporting any book that pushes their wrong-headed agenda.

Yes! Same.

I never knew that about you (did I?).

I hope we're still talking about Mike Grell. :)

Anyway, I really don't care for his work. If others do, then that's swell. 

• I don't mean to be cynical

You’re not being cynical, you’re being realistic.  Of course, Kamala Khan is coming back.  Surely the people running Marvel aren’t dumb enough to think that any of us are dumb enough to believe that Kamala isn’t coming back, are they? The Good Ship “In This Issue, A Character Dies!” sailed years ago, and no one over the age of five is ever going to believe in a Marvel or DC character’s “death” ever again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subjectively, we all know that Saturday morning cartoons turned into toy commercials sometimes in the '70s. 

My understanding was that that sort of thing started back in the 50’s, which is why guys like Bob “Captain Kangaroo” Keeshan and Fred “Mister” Rogers got into children’s television.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was over-saturated with Westerns as a youngster

I came along just enough later that Westerns had begun to fade, and I never got into them.  I never played “Cowboys & Indians”, either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINOR THREATS

This actually sounds a bit like the movie M (1931), where the cops disrupt the underworld so much in their desperate search for a child-killer that the crooks band together to try and catch him themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't look at Rick and Morty without thinking of Rich Lane.

Me too, Skipper, me too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you didn't grow up in Chicago, are you really excited about Svengoolie comics? Or Svengoolie anything? 

I barely know who the guy is.

---------------------------------------------------- 

No, not that Kirby.

I’m assuming that they mean Kirby the video game character. Legend has it that the character was originally named “Popopo”, but was given the name  “Kirby” in honor of John Kirby, a lawyer who  defended Nintendo in a lawsuit.

12132057654?profile=RESIZE_710x

• On Character Deaths: Decades ago, during the "Death of Superman" hoopla, CBG ran a comic which I wish I would have clipped. The first panel showed reaction among the general population: ("Oh, no!" "That's terrible!" "How could they?" *SOB*). The second panel showed reaction among fandom: ("Eh." "So what?" "Who cares?" "He'll be back.")

"...which is why guys like Bob “Captain Kangaroo” Keeshan and Fred “Mister” Rogers got into children’s television."

...to counter that kind of programming, not to take advantage of it (just to clarify, because even I read it wrong the first time and I know better).

• My understanding was that that sort of thing started back in the '50s.

Hmmm. Maybe I just didn't notice until the '70s. 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

On Character Deaths: Decades ago, during the "Death of Superman" hoopla, CBG ran a comic which I wish I would have clipped. The first panel showed reaction among the general population: ("Oh, no!" "That's terrible!" "How could they?" *SOB*). The second panel showed reaction among fandom: ("Eh." "So what?" "Who cares?" "He'll be back.")

I recall that one newspaper, during the "Death of Robin" hoopla, ran an obituary that began, "Dick Grayson ..." 

• When will they learn!

• It's those kind of factual errors that make me question how many slip into "hard" news stories that we are unaware of. I remember one that cited Todd McFarlane as the creator of Spider-Man.

• WORLD’S FINEST: TEEN TITANS #1 (OF 6)
    I hope Waid doesn't re-write my Silver Age memories too badly.

I added this to my pull list.

He included them in an issue of his Silver Age-y Batman/Superman: World's Finest title. He portrayed them well.

This reply was deleted.