Comics Guide: June 19-25, 2023

DC COMICS

BATGIRLS #19

• Batgirls alert!
  • Sadly, this is the final issue.

BATMAN ONE BAD DAY BUILD A BOX SET HC

• I'll wait for when they offer the entire set. Assembling it one book at a time is too much like work.

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY -- THE RIDDLER HC

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #16

BATMAN: THE 1989 MOVIE ADAPTATION TP

BATMAN: THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE SEASON THREE #6 (OF 8)

BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT PRESENTS GENERATION JOKER #2 (OF 6)

• I have been inspired by comments on this board to continue reading the White Knight "Murphyverse" books. Which isn't going to remain just Batman: DC says is going to expand beyond Batman to see what other familiar superheroes are doing in this world. Sean Murphy won't be writing/drawing all of them, but he does have a list of rules for creators who take a crack at it.

BLACK ADAM #12 (OF 12)

CATWOMAN #56

CYBORG #2 (OF 6)

FLASH: FASTEST MAN ALIVE BOXED SET

Story/Art: Various | $50.00

Read the stories that inspired or were influenced by the motion picture The Flash, directed by Andy Muschietti (It). This box set contains three softcover versions of graphic novels starring the Scarlet Speedster and the Dark Knight —The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, Flashpoint and Batman: The 1989 Movie Adaptation.

• I'm not crazy about the DCEU/Snyderverse version of the Scarlet Speedster, who is more Bart Allen than Barry Allen (while still calling him Barry Allen). Just as the '90s Flash TV show was more Wally West than Barry Allen (while still calling him Barry Allen). I won't be disappointed if Sean Gunn starts from scratch with the Crimson Comet.

NIGHTWING #105

SUPERBOY: THE MAN OF TOMORROW #3 (OF 6)

SUPERMAN #5

TITANS #2

UNWRITTEN COMPENDIUM VOL. 1

THE VIGIL #2 (OF 6)

WONDER WOMAN #800

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad, Tom King | Art: Joelle Jones, Todd Nauck, Daniel Sampere, others | Cover: Yanick Paquette | $5.99

“Whatever Happened to the Warrior of Truth?” concludes in a landmark 800th issue! Diana's visions become more vivid as she finds herself trapped in the dreams of those around her! As she struggles to escape, her life as Wonder Woman hangs in the balance. When the dust settles, will she still be the Amazons' greatest champion? Find out in this extra-special celebration!

• OK, I couldn't help myself. I counted. And this really is the 800th issue of a series titled Wonder Woman, if you count just the core title, and exclude zero issues.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DEJAH THORIS (2023) #4

DISNEY VILLAINS SCAR #3

SWEETIE CANDY VIGILANTE #6

VICTORY #1

Story: David F. Walker | Art: Brett Weldele | Covers: Dave Johnson, Bryan Hitch, Ariel Diaz, Carla Cohen, Cosplay (Alicia Marie and Rachel Hollon), Geebo Vigonte | Teen+ | $3.99

From Vampirella's fiftieth anniversary to her very own series! She started as Vampirella's lover and ended up a very powerful pawn of Vampi's mother, Lilith. Along the way, Victory's made new friends, seen countless horrors, been saddled with a demon's ring that she can't get rid of, encountered the ghost of an old friend, and opened too many dimensional gateways to count. Despite that, there's so much that we don't know about Victory, like what her childhood was like. Or what she's been doing with her demon ring and the crazy powers it has granted. Or which old — well, foe wouldn't exactly be the right word — is about to show up to cheer her on. From writer David F. Walker (Compass, Young Justice, Naomi) and artist Brett Weldele (The Beauty, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?).

Legendary writer Christopher Priest has introduced so many layers and characters to the Vampirella mythos in his tenure at the helm. One of the biggest revelations has been the character of VICTORY. Once she was Vampi's friend, and her erstwhile lover, then a complicated antagonist of sorts, manipulated by Lilith. Now with a new set of abilities and a backstory not yet fully revealed, Eisner-winning author David F. Walker is breaking her out into her first ever solo series! This essential title in the Vampi tapestry will both tell its own standalone story of drama and action, while adding to the larger whole for Vampirella fans new and old.

Victoria Harris has been all over the place since she was first introduced at the beginning of Christopher Priest's tenure with the Vampirella mythos. How much did you guys dig into those stories in preparing for kicking off the first dedicated solo spotlight on her?

David: I sat down and read every comic with Victory and tried to get to know her as much as possible. It helped that Priest also provided me with a lot of insights into the character, as he’s the one who brought her to life. I examined all the things that were interesting about her, as well as the stuff that was troubling, and then I started figuring out why she is the way she is. At some point, I struggled a bit with the character and the story, and I ended up picking the brain of another writer, Kelly Sue Milano (Hex11), who really helped me break through some of my blocks.

Through the journey that Priest started her on, Victory has been a lover of Vampirella, an ally of sorts, and even a bit of a villain. What is your take on her as a character and how will she be channeled in this new series?

David: Victory is an interesting supporting character, but the thing to keep in mind is that she’s been a supporting character, and for me those characters are always more fun to write. When you take a successful supporting character and elevate them to leading character status, it is important to remember that what you’re doing is adding to someone that already exists — it’s like adding spices, or even ingredients, to a meal that’s already been cooked. The key is to enhance what is already there, and in my mind the best way to do that is to explore previously unknown aspects of who they are, and then take them to places that challenge what they think of themselves.

Now that Victory is in the spotlight, fans will get to see nuggets of both her past and present, such as her childhood and what she's been up to with her new powers-imbuing demonic ring. Which parts of the story are you most looking forward to fans getting to experience?

David: I’m looking forward to people getting to know things about Victory that they didn’t know, which includes aspects of a very traumatic childhood. But more than anything, I’m looking forward to Victory herself discovering who she is. This story is about her becoming a hero, which is a difficult journey for her because she’s convinced that she’s a bad person. In many ways, she’s embraced all the mistakes and bad choices and unfortunate situations of her past, and allowed those to define her, and now she’s about to have all of that turned upside down.

Brett, there have been so many legendary artists who have made their mark on the Vampirella franchise, both with interior sequential artwork and some iconic covers. Are there any predecessors that you may have looked to for inspiration and direction in developing your approach to Victory? At the same time, because this is her first solo series, are there any special character elements or aspects of your own style that you're employing in its creation?

Brett: It’s natural to want to make the definitive version of a character, especially one who has a lot of story left to be told. As a painter, I gravitate towards other painters … Frazetta, Sanjulian. I admire the linework and atmosphere of Jose Gonzalez. Big shoes for sure, but I think with my two decades in this industry I’m bringing something unique to the table. I want to explore that sense of atmosphere, but with a modern flair. It’s also fun to world-build around Victory and what her solo adventures entail. We’re imbuing Victory with the flavor of exploitation films that David and I love. It’s the secret sauce and a common theme in our collaborations.

• This is a Christopher Priest-created character, which piques my interest.
  • Here's a trailer.

IMAGE COMICS

ARCADE KINGS #2 (OF 5)

Story/Art: Dylan Burnett | Covers: Dylan Burnett, Superlog, Jordan Gibson  | $7.99

Today Skybound debuted an exciting first look at Arcade Kings #2, the second issue of the new prestige series by creator/writer/artist Dylan Burnett (Cosmic Ghost Rider, Ant-Man), colorists Walter Baiamonte (Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers) and Sara Antonellini (Power Rangers), and lettering by AndWorld Design (Excellence). 

Following the knockout debut issue, Joe’s search for his missing brother brings him to the ghost town of Rockview. Too bad it’s the home turf of Plum Khurana, who has a bone to pick with Joe’s entire family! 

Arcade Kings #2 will feature main cover art from series artist and colorist Dylan Burnett and Walter Baiamonte, along with an open to order variant from Superlog. The series will also feature a 1:10 “Fighting Game” Incentive Variant program by Jordan Gibson (Marvel’s America) and a 1:15 “Limited Color” Incentive Variant program featuring the main cover inks by Dylan Burnett. 

BONE ORCHARD: TENEMENT #1 (OF 10)

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art: Dave Stewart | Art/Cover: Andrea Sorrentino | Variants: Chrisitan Ward, Martin Simmonds, Sorrentino, Tradd Moore | Mature | $3.99

From the Eisner-winning creative team behind Gideon Falls, Primordial, The Passageway and Ten Thousand Black Feathers — Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino — comes the biggest and most essential project yet in the bold and ambitious new shared horror universe of The Bone Orchard Mythos, titled Tenement. This thrilling 10-issue miniseries is set to launch with an extra-length first issue.

In Tenement, Lemire and Sorrentino bring fans the story of seven residents in a building and the dark secrets that bind them together … beginning with a death that feels much more sinister than natural.

Tenement is the first book I started developing in the early days of planning The Bone Orchard Mythos with Andrea Sorrentino,” said Lemire in an exclusive on the announcement at Popverse. “In many ways it will be the centerpiece of our new horror universe up to this point. It will be our longest story so far and, like Gideon Falls, this new series will follow an ensemble of characters and the readers will really be able to spend time with them and invest in their stories. This will also be a book that starts to connect all the threads of our previous Bone Orchard books and begins to reveal the larger mythology we have been building. Andrea’s work on this one is even more mind-blowing than usual (if that’s possible)."

Tenement is the newest entry into The Bone Orchard Mythos and is perhaps best described as Dario Argento’s Inferno meets Rosemary’s Baby in a claustrophobic tale of terror, perfect for fans of atmospheric horror. The Bone Orchard Mythos is an ambitious expansion of the powerhouse creative team — Lemire and Sorrentino — and spans multiple books and across a variety of different storytelling formats. Each title in The Bone Orchard Mythos tells its own unique, self-contained tale — some as standalone hardcover graphic novels, some as miniseries comics, and some as longer format maxiseries comics — but they will all be set within the same world and add to the overall horrors that await within the Bone Orchard mythology. This shared horror universe includes The Passageway, Ten Thousand Black Feathers, Tenement and more to be announced.

Sorrentino added: "Tenement has it all, honestly. It's at the same time a tense dark thriller, a deep dive into The Bone Orchard Mythos (the deepest we've got till now) and a long awaited first connection to the many threads we showed till now in the previous Bone Orchard entries, showing things Jeff and I are eager to show to readers since day one of this project. Everything is told through the stories of seven characters — which will all be equally important tales — and penned by Jeff with his trademark care for the human side. Are you wondering what the Bone Orchard is supposed to be ...? Tenement has the answer."

• I read The Passageway, and Image is a lot more excited about The Bone Orchard than I am. I really should be excited, given the murderers' row of talent. But Passageway left me baffled. (My wife had the same reaction.) Did anyone read Ten Thousand Black Feathers? How was that? Maybe that would have reeled me in, or retroactively explained Passageway.
  • Here's a preview.

DEAD ROMANS #4 (OF 6)

DEADLY CLASS DELUXE VOL 4 HC

GOSPEL TP

I HATE FAIRYLAND #6

I HATE FAIRYLAND VOL 5 TP

JUNKYARD JOE VOL 1 TP

KAYA #9

KING SPAWN #23

LAST BARBARIANS #5 (OF 5)

ROGUE SUN #13

SAGA #65

STRINGER HC

Story: Patrick Kindlon | Art/Cover: Paul Tucker | Mature | $22.99

1983. Tournament tennis. A racquet stringer turned small-time drug dealer gets in over his head transporting a gym bag of cocaine across Europe. Carrying a half million in narcotics puts him on the radar of every dangerous man on the continent. Whoops.

TALES OF SYZPENSE #1

Story: Chris Ryall, T. P. Louise, Ashley Wood | Art: Nelson Daniel | Cover: Ashley Wood | Mature | $4.99

The split-book revival is under way at Syzygy! Beginning in June, Tales of Syzpense will present two titanic, 12-page tales of shock and awe, plus additional bonus material, published by Image Comics.

Up first — courtesy of Lore co-creators T.P. Louise and Ashley Wood — the lead-off mystery of “Les Mort 13” plays out on the surreal and mysterious island of Southport after a run-in with Eris, the goddess of strife …

Next, Chris Ryall and Nelson Daniel will present readers with the story “Dreamweaver,” about an aging adventurer with a mystical secret who looks to pass on his abilities to the next generation of hero … until they have much greater success than he did, and he decides he wants those abilities back at any cost.

Each issue will also feature two “Les Mort 13” covers by Wood, a “Dreamweaver” cover by Daniel and a Syzpenseful tribute cover to famous split books of the past.

Tales of Syzpense features two characters who Ash and I have long been developing in parallel ways without discussing them with each other — in fact, both lead characters coincidentally use swagger sticks and wear cloaks — so it made sense to present their initial adventures in the split-book format we love," said Ryall. “And Tales of Syzpense gives us a nice outlet to tell both these stories, as well as carve out space for other creators to feature their own characters here as well.”

• Ha! This cracks me up. Especially the homage to Tales of Suspense #59!
  • Here's a preview.

TERRORWAR #3

TIME BEFORE TIME #24

VOYAGIS TP

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #65

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS #2

BETSY BRADDOCK CAPTAIN BRITAIN #5

BLOODLINE: DAUGHTER OF BLADE #5 (OF 5)

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH VOL 2 TP

CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY #2 (OF 5)

Story: Pirzada, Sabir | Art: Francesco Mortarino | Cover: Skan | Teen+ | $3.99

THE MOTHER OF ALL SYMBIOTE STORIES!

The Life Foundation symbiotes, Toxin and the others, have been STOLEN! But by whom? And WHY?! Regardless, it's up to Liz to save the symbiotes before they can fall into the wrong hands — and unleash untold havoc across New York!

• Too many symbiotes.
  • “Summer of Symbiotes” tie-in.
  • Here's a preview.

DANNY KETCH: GHOST RIDER #2 (OF 5)

DEADPOOL BY ALYSSA WONG VOL 1 TP

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #3 (OF 4)

Story: Dan Slott & David Betancourt | Art: Humberto Ramos & Julian Shaw | Covers: Patrick Brown, Mark Bagley, Humberto Ramos | Teen+ | $4.99

The hit comic book series EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE is back for another wild trip through the Spider-Verse, complete with revolutionary new Spider-heroes and further adventures for the series’ biggest breakout stars, all brought to you from an all-star lineup of talent!

Last year’s EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE comic book series introduced Marvel fans to some of Marvel’s hottest new web-slinging heroes including Spider-Rex, Spinstress, and Web-Weaver, caught readers up with old favorites, and laid the groundwork for Dan Slott and Mark Bagley’s incredible SPIDER-MAN ongoing series! This new volume will be even more impactful, following up on threads from recent Spidey sagas and directly tying into the most talked about current and future storylines!

After her hit debut last year in Saladin Ahmed and artist Christopher Allen’s MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN, Miles’ sister Billie Morales’s alter ego is still needed in the revolutionary future timeline known as the Empire of the Spider! See the return of SPIDER SMASHER in an all-new story by writer David Betancourt and artist Julian Shaw!

Slott teams up with artist Humberto Ramos to reveal the stunning backstory of Spider-Boy! Spider-Boy leapt onto the scene during Dan Slott and Mark Bagley’s “End of the Spider-Verse” storyline, but he swears he’s not from the Spider-Verse at all! Despite no one recognizing him, he claims to have had plenty of adventures and team-ups with Spidey right in the 616! It’s a head-spinning mystery that’s only just begun!

“The all-new, all-different Spider-Boy of the 616: He's got strange new spider-powers, secret ties to dark corners of Spider-Man lore, and a story that's all his own ... that is right about to begin!” Slott promises.

• Too many spider-people.
  • Here's a preview.

GOLD GOBLIN TP

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #3

HALLOW’S EVE #4 (OF 5)

HELLCAT #4 (OF 5)

I AM IRON MAN #4 (OF 5)

INCREDIBLE HULK #1

Written By Phillip Kennedy Johnson | Art And Cover By Nic Klein

The AGE OF MONSTERS has begun, and the only being who can stop a legion of the world’s most depraved creatures from overtaking the Marvel Universe is the INCREDIBLE HULK! Enter this horror-fueled new era of the strongest there is when writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson and artist Nic Klein relaunch INCREDIBLE HULK this June!

Known for his acclaimed horror storytelling in titles like Alien and Marvel Zombies: Resurrection, Johnson will take Bruce Banner to sinister new depths when a war of monsters erupts with Hulk at its center. And following his explosive run on Thor with Donny Cates, Nic Klein’s skill at capturing the Hulk’s fearsome rage and his panache for body horror will make this the most terrifying book on stands! The pair will also explore Bruce Banner’s psychological state, left in shambles at the end of his latest run with Bruce and the Hulk’s relationship more fractured than ever. Fans will experience a vicious hunt as Hulk is made prey by brand-new monster characters as well as classic favorites, all united in a fiendish new scheme…

As an enraged Hulk tries to take control of Bruce Banner’s body permanently, a mysterious immortal turns every monster in the Marvel Universe against Banner in an attempt to free their creator, the primordial Mother of Horrors. With the help of an unlikely new friend, Banner and Hulk must try to stop the world from getting plunged into darkness!

“The significance that we’re finally bringing back the classic title INCREDIBLE HULK is not lost on me. It’s a tremendous honor, and Nic and I have the clearest possible vision for what we want to do with this story,” Johnson explained. “Nic Klein is a genius, and working with him is pushing me to write a story worthy of his very best.”

“Phillip and I put a big serving of monsters, a bit of eldritch gods, a good dash of suspense, and some cool new characters into the cauldron,” Klein added. “We’re trying to serve up a Hulk the readers haven’t seen before. And if they like it half as much as I’m enjoying drawing it, they’re gonna love it."

“The work that Al, Joe and the rest did with Immortal Hulk was so impactful and spoke so clearly to me personally, it was impossible to come up with an idea that wasn’t inspired by it,” Johnson continued. “We’re getting back to Stan Lee’s Frankenstein/Jekyll & Hyde inspirations for the character, and giving readers a proper monster book in the best, truest Hulk tradition. If you loved Immortal Hulk, if you love ghost stories, if you love Marvel monsters, if you loved old school ‘adventure of the month’ stories from books like Marvel Team-Up, and if you want the best, most timeless Hulk art you’ve ever seen, you DO NOT want to miss this return of INCREDIBLE HULK.”

• Boy, ol' Greenskin sure has come a long way from the "Hulk smash puny humans" days, hasn't he? And each new writer expands the mythology even more. Curious to see what this take will be.
  • Here's a preview.

MIGHTY MMW CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL 2: RED SKULL LIVES TP

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #7

Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Federico Vicentini | Cover: Dike Ruan | Teen | $3.99

In MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #7, Cletus Kasady has unleashed maximum carnage upon New York City with the awesome power of his new Extrembiote, and the only one left standing in his way is Miles Morales, who may have stumbled upon Cletus’ one weakness — which means Cletus will stop at nothing to put Miles down for good. To have a chance at stopping him, Miles will need help from the most unexpected allies. Cletus got an upgrade — why can’t Miles?!

• This title combines "too many symbiotes" with "too many spider-people."
  • “Carnage Reigns” Part 6
  • Here's a preview.

NEW MUTANTS: LETHAL LEGION #4 (OF 5)

PLANET HULK: WORLDBREAKER TP

SCARLET WITCH ANNUAL #1

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Carlos Nieto | Cover: Russell Dauterman | Teen+ | $4.99

Teased last week in a promotional image by artist Bryan Hitch, chaos will reign this summer in the new Marvel Comics saga, CONTEST OF CHAOS! The story will star the newly rejuvenated Agatha Harkness, fresh off her exciting role in Midnight Suns, as she attempts to craft a new Darkhold book using chaos magic. Led by writer Stephanie Phillips (Rogue & Gambit, Cosmic Ghost Rider), CONTEST OF CHAOS will unfold in multiple annuals throughout the summer by a host of all-star creators, beginning with a prelude issue in SCARLET WITCH ANNUAL #1.

Spinning out of writer Steve Orlando and Sara Pichelli’s hit SCARLET WITCH ongoing series, SCARLET WITCH ANNUAL #1 will be written by Orlando and drawn by Carlos Nieto, a rising star who recently made his Marvel Comics debut in Murderworld: Wolverine. The exciting prelude will see Agatha, reenergized and more motivated than ever before, put her bold new plans for the Marvel Universe into motion as she reunites with Scarlet Witch for the first time since her rejuvenation. When she learns of Wanda’s recent absorption of Chthon, she decides to educate her former student on the dangers of such an endeavor. But Wanda is not the meek pupil she once was – and Agatha’s intentions are not so straightforward. This epic clash between Marvel’s most powerful witches will set off a chain reaction that will erupt across special annual issues of Marvel’s hottest ongoing titles.

The CONTEST OF CHAOS annuals will center around Agatha’s quest to bring Chaos magic to the forefront so she can take her rightful place as one of the universe’s greatest sorcerers. In order to do so, she’ll orchestrate a mystically-charged challenge involving your favorite heroes. Watch as Wolverine, Spider-Man, Venom, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Cyclops, Storm, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Human Torch, Taegukgi, Ghost-Spider, White Fox, and Deadpool are corrupted by chaos and pitted against eachother in a thunderous tournament! Each annual will introduce a new matchup with each showdown upping the stakes and building toward an explosive final round, all part of Agatha’s grand scheme to reinvent Marvel magic!

"CONTEST OF CHAOS is the kind of story I would absolutely sprint to the comic store to buy as a reader,” Phillips said. “There's action, mystery, magic, and my favorite characters from all over the Marvel Universe. To be spearheading the storyline is just incredibly cool for me as a creator. It's going to be big with ramifications for the larger universe… See you this summer - THWIP!"

• I haven't really followed the Scarlet Witch saga through all the titles Wanda occasionally pops into, except for the X-books where she was (briefly) killed and resurrected. (And where I was disappointed they didn't take the opportunity to restore her past as a mutant and Magneto's biological daughter.) I'm vaguely aware that she had an affair with Brother Voodoo somewhere (Doctor Strange? Avengers?), and that she's a good guy again with actual, flesh-and-blood teenage children. Out of curiosity, how do the Avengers regard her these days? Especially the ones she (temporarily) killed? I'd think some of them might hold a grudge, or be scared stiff of her going off the rails again.
  • And what's the deal with Agatha Harkness? No longer old and dead, I take it.
  • Lookit below: The old "Hex Sphere" and original costume make an appearance. 
  • “Contest of Chaos” Prelude
  • Here's a preview.

SECRET INVASION: MISSION EARTH TP

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #35

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN 2 #1

TRIALS OF X VOL 10 TP

ULTIMATE INVASION #1 (OF 4)

Story: Jonathan Hickman | Art: Bryan Hitch | Covers: Bryan Hitch, Sara Pichelli, Peach Momoko, Ed McGuinness, John Tyler Christopher, Russell Dauterman, Ron Lim | Colors: Alex Sinclair | Teen+ | $8.99

Two of the comic book industry’s most innovative and exciting creators are teaming up to reshape the Marvel Universe as you know it! Join writer Jonathan Hickman and artist Bryan Hitch in ULTIMATE INVASION, a revolutionary four-issue saga that presents a surprising new chapter for Ultimate Comics and bold new strides for Marvel’s iconic heroes.

Launched more than 20 years ago, the Ultimate Universe provided a contemporary take on classic Marvel characters and storylines. Known for its edginess and explosive action, the Ultimate Universe was home to some of Marvel’s most talked about and thought-provoking series of the 21st century. The Ultimate Universe reached its cataclysmic end in 2015’s Secret Wars, but nothing stays buried in Marvel Comics for long. Is it time for the Ultimate Universe to make its grand return? The Maker seems to think so and the Illuminati must form once again to stop him from his plans to destroy — or perhaps rebuild — the universe, with Miles Morales at the center of it all!

Hitch’s work on The Ultimates helped redefine superhero comics for the 2000s and Jonathan Hickman has successfully invigorated the Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-Men in the last decade. Wait until you see what these two powerhouse talents have in store next! The debut issue will include new data pages by Jonathan Hickman — plus exclusive behind-the-scenes material on the world-building that has gone into this project!

“[Revisiting the idea of Ultimate Comics] couldn’t be replicating or revisiting what Bryan did in the original Ultimates — creating a streamlined, modernized version that would eventually become the spine of the MCU, and it certainly couldn’t be what I did, which was a final chapter of a pre-existing universe,” Hickman explained to Entertainment Weekly. “We also thought the very idea of Ultimate Comics needed to be inverted from what the original universe was — we wanted this to be something that could really only exist in the comic space: a new way of thinking about, and enjoying, a new version of the Marvel Universe. I’m pretty happy to say that it feels like we’ve accomplished those things and we’re very excited for everyone to get to read it.”

“It’s been more than 20 years since I started work on The Ultimates, a project that would have a big impact on my own career and beyond, so when Marvel came to me with the idea of revisiting the Ultimate Universe with the man who so brilliantly and spectacularly destroyed the last one, I was both feet in!” Hitch said. “Jonathan is a terrific writer of big, sprawling epics, and we’ve talked about working together more than once so for this new Ultimate Universe adventure to unite us is very exciting. I get to bring two decades of new experience as an artist and storyteller to this. It’s new, different and familiar. It’s big budget, high-concept, widescreen storytelling. I feel right at home.”

VENOM #21

Story: Al Ewing | Art: CAFU | Cover: Bryan Hitch | Teen+ | $3.99

NOT YOUR FATHER'S BEDLAM!

As Eddie Brock finds his footing in the Marvel Universe, he's going to need to come face to face with the very worst parts of himself in the form the time-displaced monster called BEDLAM! Eddie's always been his own most brutal critic, though, and this titanic beatdown will be no exception — and something NEW will be waiting on the other side! (Hint: it's that GIANT RED DUDE WITH FOUR ARMS RIGHT ABOVE THIS TEXT!)

• Lookit, an homage to Avengers #19! Remember when Marvel did those head-shot vignettes all the time? Must have been a Stan Lee thing (who acted as art director until 1966 and was reportedly very hands-on with covers).
  • "Summer of Symbiotes" tie-in.
  • Here's a preview.

WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: TO THE BONE TP

X-FORCE #41

MORE COMICS

ALL EIGHT EYES #3 (OF 4)

ATOMIKA OMNIBUS HC VOL 1 HC

Story: Andrew Dabb | Art: Sal Abbinanti | Cover: Alex Ross | Mercury Comics | $50.00

"God is Red" follows Atomika across a 12-issue story arc, as he travels the Soviet Union doing battle with the old mythological gods of Slavic Russia. The new Atomika: God Is Red Omnibus collects the entire story in a single volume with over 350 pages! Includes over 75 pages of all-new art, including covers and pin-ups by Alex Ross, Bill Sienkiewicz, Michael Turner, Darwyn Cooke, Simon Bisley, Glenn Fabry, John Romita Sr., and more.

• Sad to see John Romita Sr.'s name and realize he's gone. With all due respect to Ditko, Romita Sr. is my "my Spider-Man" artist.

ATONEMENT BELL TP

Story: Jim Ousley | Art/Cover: Tyler B Ruff | Red 5 Comics | $14.95

Months after a brutal tragedy, young Jake and his mother travel to St. Louis to visit their estranged family during the holidays. Soon, Jake, his cousin Baby Al, and their Bosnian friend Sara must fight for their very lives when they discover the truth about the city's devastating secret past.

• The lesson here: Never visit St. Louis, except to watch the Cardinals. Very few demons go to baseball games.

BEST OF 2000 AD VOL 3 (OF 6) TP

BLACK’S MYTH: KEY TO HIS HEART #1 (OF 5)

Story: Eric Palicki | Art: Wendell Cavalcanti | Cover: Liana Kangas | Ahoy Comics | $3.99

It's back, the "moody tale that smartly blends familiar supernatural elements with the trappings of classic pulpy crime stories" (Comics Beat). In this new case, werewolf private eye Janie "Strummer" Mercado tries to prevent a young girl from becoming a monster, with the aid of her suave djinn assistant Ben Si'lat. But will Strummer gain an intern instead? And why is an old enemy sending mysterious packages to her house? Featuring a cover by Liana Kangas and an incentive cover  by Tim Seeley.

• An Ahoy title returns!

BLOODBORNE: THE LADY OF THE LANTERNS VOL.1 GN

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Piotr Kowalski | Titan Comics | 128 pages | $17.99

BASED ON THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED GOTHIC GAMING HIT, BLOODBORNE!

Enter the city of Yharnam through the eyes of its citizens, when new hunters take to the streets to fight against the cruel and unusual epidemic that has gripped the city. In the black of the night, families and faith will be tested ...

• I never want to see anything with that many eyes. Spiders are bad enough!

CHANGELINGS #5 (OF 7)

CHICKEN DEVILS #4

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS … CAMP PICKENS ONE-SHOT #1

Story: Tim Seeley, Jordan Morris, Blake Howard | Art: Mike Norton, Diana Camero, Carola Borelli | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Matt Talbot | Variant Cover: Francesco Francavilla | 32 pages | $3.99

Camp Pickens has always been the go-to summer destination for the younger residents of Riverdale. It’s a rite of passage for the teen residents to hold the coveted camp counselor positions. However, Camp Pickens’ mysterious past shrouds a deep, dark secret: it’s cursed, and this summer all of its campers are going to find out the hard way in this one-shot anthology that’s equal parts Sleepaway Camp and American Horror Story: 1984, reuniting the team behind the mega-hit comic series Revival.

Three terrifying tales will chill Riverdale's warm summer nights this June in CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... CAMP PICKENS, an all-new one-shot from the Archie Horror imprint of Archie Comics.

“Stories set at summer camp are synonymous with Archie," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "Many fans will agree that some of their fondest memories were reading Archie digests while at camp. So, naturally, we had to do a camp-based horror one-shot.”

CAMP PICKENS kicks off with "Bug Juice," a frame story by writer Jordan Morris (Jordan, Jesse, Go!) and artist Diana Camero (Five Nights at Freddy's), in which Jughead Jones leads a group of campers on a quest to find a mysterious drink that counselors think will ward off evil and misfortune . . . which Camp Pickens requires because it is ridiculously haunted. As they go deeper into the woods and use all their camp skills to make it through the night, they learn more about the camp's monstrous past.

That past is revealed in "The Curse of Camp Pickens," a tale of ghostly menace through the ages by writer Blake Howard (Punchline: The Gotham Game) and artist Carola Borelli (The Deadliest Bouquet), and the slasher send-up "Down and Out and Death Cursed" by writer Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash) and artist Mike Norton (Battlepug).

Morris said, “I'm a huge fan of Blake's and Tim's writing, so being able to work on an issue with them was a total thrill! The vibe was very collaborative. They (along with the great Archie editors) gave me awesome pitches that ended up in my script. I think readers will have a blast going back into the issue and finding the easter eggs that tie all the stories together."

Eagle-eyed Archie Comics fans will recognize the name Pickens from throughout Riverdale's history (and a major plot point in the graphic novel JUGHEAD'S TIME POLICE by Sina Grace and Derek Charm), but this marks the first appearance of the cursed camp bearing the historical figure's name. Each of the stories in CAMP PICKENS takes a classic horror trope and upends expectations, delivering something wholly unique in the summer horror genre.

Rotante added, “Following the lead of movies like Sleepaway Camp, TV series like American Horror Story: 1984, and video games like The Quarry, CAMP PICKENS explores the horrific things that can happen when teens are left to their own devices over the summer. We've got an all-star lineup on this title, too, introducing writer Blake Howard to the sinister world of Archie Horror, bringing back Jordan Morris from this month's POP's CHOCK'LIT SHOPPE OF HORRORS, as well as returning artists Carola Borelli and Diana Camero, from BETTY: THE FINAL GIRL and FEAR THE FUNHOUSE, respectively, and reuniting the team behind the mega-hit comic series Revival, writer Tim Seeley and Mike Norton.”

• Am I supposed to enjoy Archie characters getting killed over and over again as much as I do?

DARLA GN

Story: Josh Ruben | Art: Briana Tippetts | Invader Comics | $24.99

The debut comic from director Josh Ruben follows the groundbreaking path he's forged through the horror genre with his films Werewolves Within and Scare Me. Darla is a demented mash-up of Dead Zone and Requiem for a Dream that explores the disturbing underbelly of Americana through politics, health, psychosis and murder.

DIANA: MY GRAPHIC OBSESSION GN

Story/Art: Sivan Piatigorsky-Roth | Street Noise Books | $19.99

Sivan Piatigorsky-Roth is obsessed with Princess Diana, in the specific, laser-focused way an autistic person can be. This book is an unorthodox biography of Diana Spencer, the late Princess of Wales, told through a particular autistic and transmasculine lens, examining issues of identity and self-determination, and the mythological parallels in the lives of the royal family and the author.

• I have plenty of obsessions of my own, obviously, so I think I speak with authority when I call this one unhealthy. I find the Royals saga to be the very definition of "rich people problems" and a colossal bore. 

DUNE: HOUSE HARKONNEN #6

EXCITING COMICS #35

FANTASY COMICS GALLERY #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Rod Espinosa, Joe Wight, David Hutchinson | Art/Cover: Brian Denham | Antarctic Press | $4.99

Steel your nerves and ready your eyes for a grand adventure: a collection of sword-and-sorcery imagery by Antarctic's premiere fantasy artists.  Stalwart heroes and heroines, menacing monsters, damsels (and perhaps dudes) in distress — enough to satisfy the requirements of any campaign.  And this is but a hefty foretaste of the quality to expect in the Fantasy Comics main series coming this spring!

• That's some tasty art. Who's the photo reference for the guy in back, you think? Schwarzenegger? 

FIRST THREE ONE-SHOT

Story: Chris Paliqaw, Atung Yupas | Art/Cover: Chang Sheng | CEX Publishing | $7.99

The age of humanity begins! The first three people on Earth burst out of a rock womb to find themselves in a paradise of talking animals and obedient firewood. But two men and one woman is one man too many, and enough ... never is. Inspired by the real-life creation legends of the Tayal people of Taiwan. Introducing legendary Taiwanese artist Chang Sheng to Western audiences for the first time!

• Whatever the creation legends of Taiwan are, they probably make more sense than ours.

FRANK MILLER’S PANDORA #6

FREAK BUCK HC

Story/Art: Various | Fantagraphis | Mature | $35.00

In editor Alexi Zeren's words, Freak Buck is a prison for the monsters we build every day, and the book covers are the cell walls. It features new and cutting-edge work from Marti (La Vibora, The Cabbie), Igor Hofbauer, Abraham Diaz, Gunnar Lundkvist, Josh Simmons, Josh Bayer, Alexis Rose, Jasper Jubenvill, Longmont Potion Castle, Emily V Brown, Dylan Languell, Heather Bryant, and many more. A beautifully designed, limited run, cutting-edge anthology that showcases both established indie artists and previously unpublished cartoonists.

GODZILLA: HERE THERE BE DRAGONS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Frank Tieri | Art/Cover: Inaki Miranda | Covers: Inaki Miranda, Tyler Kirkham, Benjamin Dewey | IDW | $3.99

IDW, under license by Toho International, Inc., turns back the hands of time with the upcoming comic book miniseries Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons. Written by Frank Tieri and illustrated by Inaki Miranda, the creative team behind the DC Comics’ Old Lady Harley series, this five-part epic, beginning in June, takes readers back to an era of seafaring and superstition for a Godzilla adventure like no other.

In the 1500s, before humanity had successfully traveled the entire globe, it was believed that monsters ruled the oceans just beyond the horizon. “Here there be dragons …” was written on maps to denote the areas people dared not go. That is, until Sir Francis Drake circumnavigated the seas, visiting foreign lands and collecting treasure. Or … at least that’s what history tells us. The truth is, tremendous beasts did lurk yonder, dwelling on an island that doesn’t appear on any map, even to this day. And among those monsters was the king of them all … Godzilla!

“I’ve been very fortunate in my career to have written for quite a few iconic franchises, but I have to admit, there’s something extra special about getting to work on Godzilla,” says Tieri. “Just writing this series I’m instantly a little kid again, watching him fight Rodan or the Smog Monster or whichever Monster of the Week. Needless to say, it’s been a thrill for me … but probably less so for my family, since I’ve been doing the Godzilla roar around the house pretty much nonstop.”

Tieri continues, “What could be cooler than a Godzilla tale with pirates? Here There Be Dragons is a lost voyage of Sir Francis Drake, told through the eyes of a crewman facing execution. The question is, is he telling the truth? Is there really a conspiracy to cover up what happened to Drake on that island and the existence of Godzilla? Or is this merely another pirate’s tall tale? Avast, ye Godzilla fans, and batten down the hatches at your local comic book shop!”

“Godzilla is one of those unique historic creations that is part pop-culture icon, part pure joy and entertainment, and also a metaphor of the ways of society hurting itself, with humans confronting the raw power of our own fears and missteps,” says Miranda. “I’m genuinely thankful to Toho and IDW for having me onboard to illustrate Godzilla smashing ships and fighting kaiju. Collaborating with my buddy Frank is always a pleasure. I enjoy every scene that he is writing, playing with the myths of the old world. It’s a sure recipe for fun, discovery, and fascination!”

“I love the way Here There Be Dragons combines classic mythology from the past with a truly modern legend, causing readers to look at both in new ways,” says IDW’s executive editorial director Jamie S. Rich. “It’s great to see Godzilla away from skyscrapers, taking on a foe that doesn’t have the technological weaponry to fight monsters from a great distance. And I do mean monsters. Godzilla is not alone out there, and I love reading every new issue to see what else Frank and Inaki have cooked up for Godzilla to fight.”

• Interesting premise. Of course, we have to expect that everyone we meet will die, because this story didn't get into the history books. Except for that one guy, who won't say anything because "no one will believe me."

HORROR COMICS #24

HUNT KILL REPEAT #4 (OF 6)

JOSIF 1957 #1 (OF 2)

Story: Davide Barzi | Art/Cover: Fabiano Ambu | CEX Publishing | $6.99

Debuting the work of Italian superstar artist Fabiano Ambu! You know about Laika, the Cosmonaut dog sent into orbit on Sputnik 2. But no one knows about JOSIF, the first gorilla in space! Born on Josif Stalin's birthday and subjected to terrible genetic experiments, Josif soon grew far too powerful. The leadership of the Soviet Union did all they could to stop him. But not everything went as planned!

• Apes in spaaaaaaaaace!

JUDAS PRIEST: SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE ST ED TP

Story: Rantz A. Hoseley, Neil Kleid | Art: Christopher Mitten | Cover: Angryblue | Z2Comics | Mature | $24.99

500 years from now, a ring of cities will orbit high above the surface of a dead world, controlled by a ruling elite that maintains power through manipulation and brutality. When a na ve engineer inadvertently threatens the status quo with his vital scientific discovery — a Bloodstone — he is betrayed by those he trusted and cast out to the broken planet below. In the wreckage and desolation of a broken world where every day is a battle for survival, he must choose between accepting his new life in exile ... or Screaming For Vengeance.

• An adaptation of music I didn't listen to from a band I didn't care about.

KILLING HOPE #1 (OF 6)

Story: Marlon Maloney, Josh Barbee | Art/Cover: Alex Cormack | Bliss on Tap | $5.99

Hope, a young Native American woman fleeing her reservation, survives a horrific car accident when Danny, a lone drifter, comes to her aid. Danny offers to help the mysterious Hope, but quickly learns that everyone she encounters becomes violent in her presence. That is, everyone but Danny.

LAST COMIC BOOK ON LEFT VOL 2 TP

MIGHTY BARBARIANS #3

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #109

MISE EN PLACE ONE-SHOT

Story: Matt Carr | Art: Lane Lloyd | Cover: Nicole Goux | CEX Publishing | $4.99

After consuming every animal on Earth, humanity turns to the stars, enslaving, butchering and consuming creatures from across the galaxy. But now the food is fighting back — in spectacularly gory fashion! Tuck in your napkin for this messy, pulpy, over-the-top tale of bloody revenge. Dinner is served!

MONOMYTH #2 (OF 6)

MYTHS & LEGENDS QUARTERLY: DAGON

NORTHRANGER GN

Story: Rey Terciero | Art: Bre Indigo | Harper Alley | $18.99

Cade has always loved to escape into the world of a good horror movie. After all, horror movies are scary — but to Cade, a closeted queer Latino teen growing up in rural Texas — real life can be way scarier. Cade's plan to lie low at the movie theater all summer is disrupted when he's forced to help his stepfather, Dale, work on the ranch of Dale's old army general in order to earn some extra money for their financially struggling family. Cade hates everything about the ranch, from the early mornings to the piles and piles of horse poop. The only silver lining is the company of the General's two teen kids, who also live on the ranch-in particular, the ruggedly handsome and friendly Henry. But as unexpected sparks begin to fly between Cade and Henry, things get ... complicated. Henry is reluctant to share the details of his mother's death, and Cade begins to wonder what else he might be hiding. Inspired by the gothic romance of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey comes a modern story of romance for today's teen reader.

PATH OF SHADES (NEW PTG) #1

Story/Art: Clarence Dass | Living the Line | $5.99

Waking up at the banks of Wai Ni Yalo as a Shade, a young warrior must make his way to the mountains of Nakauvadra, dwelling place of the gods. There amongst the Kalou Yalo, the spirits of his ancestors, the Shade will find rest. The journey will not be easy. Limited quantities available.

THE PHANTOM: COMPLETE DAILIES VOL 27 1977-78 --  THE WEDDING OF THE PHANTOM

• Heads up, comic strip collectors!

PUNCHLINE AND VAUDE VILLAINS #2

RAZOR’S EDGE ONE-SHOT

Story: Dave Kopecki | Art: Various | Cover: Andrew Mangum | Amryl Entertainment | $4.50

Amryl presents Razor's Edge. This new anthology book will focus on a few of the exciting London Night characters from all edges of the Razor universe including a few of the main characters like Razor, Morbid Angel, Lethal Strike and others! Please note, the interior pages do contain some nudity.

• "Please note, the interior pages do contain some nudity." That's one way to sell an anthology!
  • Anyone else getting X-23 vibes?
  • Also Zenescope vibes, since all of these "London Night" characters seem to be busty, scantily-clad ladies.

RED ZONE #4 (OF 4)

RICK AND MORTY #6

RIGHT PROJECT #1

Story: Tom DeFalco | Art/Cover: Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema | American Mythology | $3.99

At last! A super-hero for anyone who sincerely loves superheroes. A teenage video-gamer joins a digital daredevil for truth, justice and a universe of Hoo-HA action & angst. While working on the R.I.G.H.T. Project, an attempt to develop a new technology that allows computer constructs to assume physical mass, Doctor Dex Click stumbles upon the new champ of split-second adventure. But Mr. R.I.G.H.T. is little more than a soulless animatronic until he bonds with Jeffrey "Player One" Lopez. Since Jeffrey is a true believer, he helps transform a heartless avatar into a compassionate and relentless hero-the true hero who lives within us all! A comic book in the mode of DeFalco & Frenz's Spider-Girl, Spider-Man, Thor, Thunderstrike and A-Next!

• Why isn't this at Binge Books? Should I be worried?

SEA OF THIEVES: ORIGINS — CHAMPION OF SOULS

Story: Jeremy Whitley | Art: Rhoald Marcellius | Cover: Iolanda Zanfardino | Titan Comics | 112 pages | $17.99

DIVE INTO THE LORE OF SEA OF THIEVES!

Before the Blackwyche became a relic in Shipwreck Bay, it was home to one of the most noble and legendary pirates the Sea of Thieves had ever known. Follow the rise of Sir Arthur Pendragon as he forges his name as the Champion of Souls, striking fear into the bones of every skeleton who dares to roam the waves — but when Arthur finally meets the fearsome captain Graymarrow, will he be able to save his crew, or is his story doomed to be lost at sea?

• "Arthur Pendragon"? Seems to me I've hard that name before.

SERENO #3

SEVEN YEARS IN DARKNESS #2 (OF 4)

SILENCE #3 (OF 5)

SONS OF EL TOPO VOL 3: CAIN & ABEL GN

TALES OF ASUNDA #1

Story: Sebastian A. Jones | Art: Julio Brilha | Cover: Caanan White | Stranger Comics | $3.99

The first kill is always the hardest, especially when you are destined to save the world ... or damn it. The Stranger has taught Niobe how to fight, but can she take a life? From the pages of The Untamed comes the first Tale in this anthology series about the world of Asunda.

TAP DANCE KILLER HC

Story: Sikora, Ted | Art/Cover: Donny Hadiwidjaja | Hero Tomorrow Comics | $29.99

Actress Nikki St Clair was the sweetest gal in the city until she was cast in a horror show musical as the Tap Dance Killer. Now, unable to shake the role, this 1920s-esque bizarre mobster assassin is out on the streets dealing damage with a theatrical flair that leaves 'em, quite literally, slain in the aisles! The saga also contains the origin of boxer turned murderous clown assassin — Punchline! Extras include Making Of, Variant Covers, Guest Pinups, and a forward by Jim Salicrup!

• Doesn't DC already have a murderous clown named Punchline? 

TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION VOL 4 HC

• Heads up again, comic strip collectors!

THOMAS GIRTIN: FORGOTTEN PAINTER GN

Story: Oscar Zarate | Art/Cover: Oscar Zarate | SelfMadeHero | $39.99

Part historical narrative, part modern fiction, this book consists of two interlinked stories: The first focuses on the 18th-century painter Thomas Girtin and his relationship with his friend and rival J.M.W. Turner; the second tells the tale of three amateur artists in the present day, united by a shared interest in Girtin's art. Using this dual narrative to draw parallels between two eras of rapid technological advancement and sociopolitical turbulence, Oscar Zárate's long-awaited new graphic novel restores to modern eyes this unjustly forgotten figure, whose work has been almost entirely ignored despite his huge influence in British painting.

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #15

WALT DISNEY’S UNCLE SCROOGE: CAVE OF ALI BABA HC

Carl Barks | Fantagraphics | 208 pages | $35.00

The secret of Ali Baba’s hidden treasure, the return of Magica de Spell — and a rare story never before seen in the U.S.!

“You can’t depend on anything in Persia being what it seems!” warns Uncle Scrooge. But when he, Donald, and the nephews are approached by a wayward archaeologist bearing fragile clay tablets that point the way to Ali Baba’s lost cave, the hunt is on for the most fabulous treasure of the ancient world! And Scrooge will soon discover how true his words really are! Then, Scrooge shields his Money Bin in an indestructible glass that defies the efforts of Magica de Spell and the Beagle Boys to crack it. What could possibly go wrong? Plus: the oddball inventions of the ever-eccentric Gyro Gearloose! Additionally, we’re proud to present a rare story started by Carl Barks and completed by internationally acclaimed Duck artist Daan Jippes, never before published in the U.S. — “The Pied Piper of Duckburg.”

Carl Barks delivers another wildly imaginative collection of outrageous adventures, laugh-out-loud comedy, and all-around comic book brilliance. Each page is meticulously restored and newly colored, with insightful story notes by an international panel of Barks experts.

• This is Vol. 28 of the Carl Barks Library, which is listed as a 28-volume series. Fantagraphics still hasn't published Vols. 1-4 yet, so fingers crossed that we'll actually cross the finish line.
  • Here's a preview.

WE ARE SCARLET TWILIGHT #2

WILD'S END #1 (OF 6)

Story: Dan Abnett | Art/Cover: I.N.J. Culbard | Covers: Culbard, Olivetti, Lee | BOOM! | $4.99

Journey to alien-occupied interwar England, courtesy of the award-winning creative team of Dan Abnett (Warhammer 40K, Immortal Red Sonja) & I.N.J. Culbard (Salamandre, Tales From The Umbrella Academy), with Nik Abnett providing additional material!

Out at sea during the invasion, our intimate crew of unlucky voyagers returns to a world they once knew, their once-cozy seaside home now occupied by alien invaders.

Combining a rich cast of anthropomorphized characters in the tradition of Blacksad and  aliens unlike any you've ever seen in the spirit of War of the Worlds meets Wind in the Willows! Wild's End is a world unlike any other … one you won't want to leave.

WORLD WAR 3 #5 (OF 5) BATTLE OVER HOKKAIDO

MORE MANGA

ABANDONED EMPRESS VOL 5 GN

ALICE IN BORDERLAND VOL 6 GN

APPARE RANMAN GN

ASSORTED ENTANGLEMENTS VOL 2 GN

BEAST COMPLEX VOL 3

BLOODY SWEET VOL 1 GN

CHAINED SOLDIER VOL 4 GN

CHERRY MAGIC VOL 7 GN

CORRESPONDENCE FROM END OF UNIVERSE VOL 3 GN

CROSS DRESSING VILLAINESS CECILIA SYLVIE VOL 4 GN

DAUGHTER OF EMPEROR VOL 4 GN

DEATH MARCH PARALLEL WORLD RHAPSODY VOL 14    GN

DISILLUSIONED ADVENTURERS SAVE THE WORLD VOL 2 GN

DRAGON KNIGHTS BELOVED VOL 5 GN

DRIFTING DRAGONS VOL 13 GN

ESSENCE: BEING A MUSE VOL 1 GN

FIRE FORCE VOL 33 GN

FRIEREN: BEYOND JOURNEY’S END VOL 8 GN

GAHICHAN VOL 2 GN

GO GO LOSER RANGER VOL 5 GN

GOLDEN KAMUY VOL 29 GN

GURREN LAGANN ARCHIVES TP

HANDYMAN SAITOU IN ANOTHER WORLD GN VOL 01    $13.00

HIGURASHI: WHEN THEY CRY GOU VOL 1 GN

HOLY GRAIL OF ERIS VOL 4 GN

HORIZON VOL 1 GN

I GOT CAUGHT UP IN A HERO SUMMONS VOL 6 GN

INSOMNIACS AFTER SCHOOL VOL 2 GN

INTO DEEPEST MOST UNKNOWABLE DUNGEON VOL 6 GN

LAST CRUSADE: RISE OF THE NEW WORLD VOL 6 GN

LOVE’S IN SIGHT VOL 2 GN

MAGICAL REVOLUTION: REINCARNATED PRINCESS & LADY VOL 4 GN

MEDAKA KUROIWA IS IMPERVIOUS TO MY CHARMS VOL 1 GN

MISSION YOZAKURA FAMILY VOL 5 GN

MONSTER & BEAST VOL 4 GN

NBX BATTLE FOR PUMPKIN KING #3 (OF 5)

NO LONGER HEROINE VOL 3 GN

OTHERWORLDER EXPLORING DUNGEON VOL 2 GN

OVERLORD UNDEAD KING OG VOL 10 GN

PERSONA 5 VOL 10 GN

PRINCESS CONVENIENT PLOT DEVICES VOL 2 GN

REINCARNATED WITCH SPELLS DOOM VOL 1 GN

REMARRIED EMPRESS VOL 3 GN

RENT A GIRLFRIEND VOL 19 GN

REQUIEM OF THE ROSE KING VOL 17

SAIGAMI VOL 2: ROCKPORT ED INITIATION EXAM GN

SCRIBBLES VOL 1 HC

SO I’M A SPIDER SO WHAT VOL 12 GN

SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH US VOL 15 GN

SOTUS VOL 2 GN

SPLENDID WORK OF MONSTER MAID VOL 5 GN

STREET FIGHTER 6 #4 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Capcom and Chisato Mita. | Covers: Chamba, Edwin Huang. | 48 pages | $5.99 each.

The miniseries reaches its epic conclusion! Ken Masters is through running, and makes his presence known at the Naishal fighting tournament! Only one man holds the truth about the chaos exploding around both Ken and Luke ... the mysterious JP!

• This miniseries was supposed to run weekly for four weeks — I got a press release and everything — but it mysteriously skipped last week.

SURVIVAL IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY MISTRESS VOL 4 GN

SWORD ART ONLINE PROGRESSIVE SCHERZO DEEP NIGHT VOL 1 GN

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED AS A SLIME: TRINITY VOL 7 GN

THIS IS SCREWED UP: REINCARNATED AS GIRL VOL 7 GN

THOUGH I AM AN INEPT VILLAINESS VOL 3 GN

TIME STOP HERO VOL 7 GN

TOMB RAIDER KING VOL 3 GN

TRIAGE X VOL 25 GN

UNCLE FROM ANOTHER WORLD VOL 7 GN

UNNAMED MEMORY VOL 3 GN

UNTIL I LOVE MYSELF VOL 1 GN

UZAKI CHAN WANTS TO HANG OUT VOL 9 GN

VAL X LOVE VOL 14 GN

VAMPIRE DORMITORY VOL 10 GN

WANDERING WITCH VOL 4 GN

WHAT HE WHO DOESN’T BELIEVE IN FATE SAYS VOL 1 GN

WITCH PART X: 100 LADIES VS VOL 2 GN

WORDS BUBBLE UP LIKE SODA POP VOL 1 GN

WORLD STRONGEST REARGUARD LABYRINTH NOVICE VOL 6 GN

WRONG TO PICK UP GIRLS IN DUNGEON MEMORIA FREESE VOL 1 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MORE KIDS

ARCHIE & FRIENDS ENDLESS ESCAPADES TP

11971000481?profile=RESIZE_710xScript/Art: Various | Cover: Bill Golliher, Rosario “Tito” Peña | Archie | 120 pages | $12.99

Archie Andrews presents the ultimate guide to his world in this collection of stories featuring everything from hi-tech hijinks to super heroics! Want to learn how to successfully date from the best? Well, maybe successful isn’t the best word … but if you want to learn both the “Do’s” AND “Don’ts” of dating, then you’ve just struck gold! Archie is back to his poorly-managed love triangle, as he traverses Riverdale with his friends in adventures both slapstick and sensational!

11971008076?profile=RESIZE_710x11971008090?profile=RESIZE_710x11971019054?profile=RESIZE_710x11971019086?profile=RESIZE_710x11971031053?profile=RESIZE_710x11971036255?profile=RESIZE_710x

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #341

11971094254?profile=RESIZE_710xScript: Tom DeFalco, Dan Parent | Art: Steven Butler, Dan Parent, Lily Butler, Bob Smith | Colors: Glenn Whitmore | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Dan Parent | 192 pages | $9.99

TWO BRAND NEW STORIES! First, in “Twister Trauma,” Captain Flag and Pureheart are battling Tom Twister — a super-villain with the ability to turn into a tornado-like creature! Tom Twister’s primary target: the post office! Can the two heroes stop him from whipping up a mail-storm?!

Then, a new viral FlipFlop dance has taken over Riverdale, and it’s all anyone wants to do at Veronica’s pool party. There’s just one problem: it’s a couple’s dance. Poor Ethel doesn’t know who to team up with — Jughead or her new crush Charlie?

11971104300?profile=RESIZE_710x11971111852?profile=RESIZE_710x11971116466?profile=RESIZE_710x11971116492?profile=RESIZE_710x11971123469?profile=RESIZE_710x11971134454?profile=RESIZE_710x11971134465?profile=RESIZE_710x11971143267?profile=RESIZE_710x11971147670?profile=RESIZE_710x11971144497?profile=RESIZE_710x11971157259?profile=RESIZE_710x11971161076?profile=RESIZE_710x11971165856?profile=RESIZE_710x11971164082?profile=RESIZE_710x11971172655?profile=RESIZE_710x11971172687?profile=RESIZE_710x

CHI-CHI & PEY-PEY READY TO READ: SCHOOL DAY DRAMA GN

CRYPTID KIDS VOL 1: BAWK NESS MONSTER GN

CRYPTIDNALS #2 (OF 7) FIFTH SUN

CUPCAKE DIARIES VOL 4: ALEXIS & PERFECT RECIPE GN

HAM HELSING GN VOL 03 RAISING THE STAKES

MEET THE SUPER DUPER SEVEN GN

OUT THERE GN

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG VOL 14: OVERPOWERED TP

STYX & SCONES READY TO READ: THE STICKY WAND GN

UNPETABLES TP

WARRIORS: THIEF IN THUNDERCLAN GN

YOU’RE THINKING ABOUT TOMATOES GN

• BATGIRLS #19

I’ll miss this book. It’s been good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the dust settles, will she still be the Amazons' greatest champion?

No, she’s going to suffer a shameful, ignominious defeat and live out her days as an anonymous cashier at a truck stop in West Memphis, Arkansas*.  (Sarcasm!)

*This is a place that I have actually been to, and the truck stop, as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too many symbiotes.

I feel as though there’s already been a thousand of these, dating back to Chaucer’s Somer of Simbiottes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The all-new, all-different Spider-Boy of the 616

So, not the Amalgam Spider-Boy, then.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what's the deal with Agatha Harkness?

My brain “heard” this as the start of a Jerry Seinfeld routine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ULTIMATE INVASION #1 (OF 4)

I thought this universe was dead.  If they’re back, does that mean that Miles will go back to his old world?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very few demons go to baseball games.

I’m guessing that you’ve never been to Yankee Stadium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I supposed to enjoy Archie characters getting killed over and over again as much as I do?

I don’t see why not. You know as well as I do that whatever happens to their avatars, the True Over-Archies will never die.

I find the Royals saga to be the very definition of "rich people problems" and a colossal bore.

Sometimes I forget that Kansas City even has a baseball team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GODZILLA: HERE THERE BE DRAGONS #1 (OF 5)

Considering that even Twenty-First Century weapons are useless against him, in pre-modern times, the only way to deal with Godzilla would be to run away from him. Possibly people would pray to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An adaptation of music I didn't listen to from a band I didn't care about.

I suspect that not many Judas Priest fans will be picking this up, either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't DC already have a murderous clown named Punchline? 

Yup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YOU’RE THINKING ABOUT TOMATOES GN

No, I’m not.

• "OK, I couldn't help myself. I counted. And this really is the 800th issue of a series titled Wonder Woman, if you count just the core title, and exclude zero issues."

If they're not consecutively numbered it's still "Marvel Math."

"Why isn't this at Binge Books? Should I be worried?"

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen a Binge Book in a while.

TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION

I don't see these as significantly better than the IDW volumes, and they're twice as expensive ($100 vs. $50 SRP). Plus, the "bird in the hand" principle applies.

THE PHANTOM: COMPLETE DAILIES VOL 27 1977-78 --  THE WEDDING OF THE PHANTOM

WALT DISNEY’S UNCLE SCROOGE: CAVE OF ALI BABA HC

I'm glad these two are shipping Wednesday because I don't see a single periodical comic I'm interested in this week.

• And what's the deal with Agatha Harkness? No longer old and dead, I take it.

I haven't been following Wanda or Agatha in the comics, but Agatha is young in the Disney+ series.

This is Vol. 28 of the Carl Barks Library, which is listed as a 28-volume series. Fantagraphics still hasn't published Vols. 1-4 yet, so fingers crossed that we'll actually cross the finish line.

I mentioned on Wednesday (Here) that volume 4 is available on October 10. I suspect they held the first four volumes back for fear they wouldn't sell, since some already had that material.

• "I suspect they held the first four volumes back for fear they wouldn't sell, since some already had that material."

I thought it was because they wanted to launch the series with Barks' stronger material. Too many time I have seen archival series cancelled early on due to low sales because they led with earlier, weaker material. The collector mentality dictates that, if one owns X good volumes, he is more likely to buy Y volumes of weaker material to complete the set than he is to lead off with that material in the (often fruitless) hope that later, stronger material will someday be published.

• OK, I couldn't help myself. I counted. And this really is the 800th issue of a series titled Wonder Woman, if you count just the core title, and exclude zero issues. - Slow night? I kid, I kid.

The lesson here: Never visit St. Louis, except to watch the Cardinals. Very few demons go to baseball games. - I saw Baron's joke. Mine was they do go to baseball games, but they are A's fans and invisible, that's why it only looks like the stadium is empty. Baron's was shorter and snappier and better.

An adaptation of music I didn't listen to from a band I didn't care about. - I like heavy metal, but I never got Judas Priest.

I have plenty of obsessions of my own, obviously, so I think I speak with authority when I call this one unhealthy. I find the Royals saga to be the very definition of "rich people problems" and a colossal bore.  - Same.

Also Zenescope vibes, since all of these "London Night" characters seem to be busty, scantily-clad ladies.

11838089459?profile=RESIZE_710x

I don't know what you're talking about.

STREET FIGHTER 6 #4 (OF 4) - I like that the story is partially credited to Capcom, who is the company that makes the video game. Makes sense I reckon.

• No, she’s going to suffer a shameful, ignominious defeat and live out her days as an anonymous cashier at a truck stop in West Memphis, Arkansas*.  (Sarcasm!)

*This is a place that I have actually been to, and the truck stop, as well.

I’ve been there too, but only to buy beer back when Coors was unavailable east of the Mississippi. It wasn’t Coors I was after, but some of the tagalong brands. Once they were available in Memphis, I never set foot in West Memphis again. It’s like the world’s largest truck stop.

I feel as though there’s already been a thousand of these, dating back to Chaucer’s Somer of Simbiottes.

We had to memorize the prelude in high school.

Whan that Marvelle with its comicks plente,

Then Venom and Familie turn into twentie,

And cover ever Booke in simbiotte Goo,

And so with ev'ry doughty Hero’s Bodkin too …

Man, what a drag high school was.

I thought this universe was dead.  If they’re back, does that mean that Miles will go back to his old world?

Good question. He’s not disappearing, what with a successful movie out. Maybe he will go back, and they’ll build the universe around him instead of (dead) Peter Parker or the Ultimates. The smarter play would be to stay in 616 and wait for the new Ultimate Universe to get canceled.

I’m guessing that you’ve never been to Yankee Stadium.

Bwah-ha-ha! No, and now I don’t plan to.

You know as well as I do that whatever happens to their avatars, the True Over-Archies will never die.

All praise to the Over-Archie! Smile upon us, O Ginger One! We will let our hearts be filled not with Reggieness, but will walk always on the Righteous Path of Indecision, between the blessings of Betty and the bounty of Veronica!

So does the rest of Missouri.

Considering that even Twenty-First Century weapons are useless against him, in pre-modern times, the only way to deal with Godzilla would be to run away from him. Possibly people would pray to him.

Heretic! There is no God but the Over-Archie! Beg his forgiveness, ungrateful one!

• If they're not consecutively numbered it's still "Marvel Math."

They're not, so yeah: Marvel math.

I thought it was because they wanted to launch the series with Barks' stronger material.

I heard this, too. But I guess I could have heard it from you. :)

11838089459?profile=RESIZE_710x

I don't know what you're talking about.

Bwah-ha-ha!

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

Too many time I have seen archival series cancelled early on due to low sales because they led with earlier, weaker material. The collector mentality dictates that, if one owns X good volumes, he is more likely to buy Y volumes of weaker material to complete the set than he is to lead off with that material in the (often fruitless) hope that later, stronger material will someday be published.

When DC was about to print The Spirit in DC Archives format, I didn’t get into it because they were starting well before the best material. I never tried to jump in later.

Captain Comics said:

The smarter play would be to stay in 616 and wait for the new Ultimate Universe to get canceled.

A few days ago it was 6/16. Marvel should have made something of that.

So does the rest of Missouri.

Nobody made a peep when they redid the playoffs and switched the Royals from the American League to the National League.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

I saw Baron's joke. Mine was they do go to baseball games, but they are A's fans and invisible, that's why it only looks like the stadium is empty. Bottom of Form

When I was in my twenties I took my first long(ish) trip. One of the places I went was Oakland stadium. I think the Oakland Athletics (A’s) were playing the Angels. The A’s had just won two World Series (1972 and 1973), yet the stadium was empty. They also won the 1974 World Series. Then the owner, Charlie Finley, basically sold off all the best players. It’s surprising they are still around.

• "I heard this, too. But I guess I could have heard it from you."

"When DC was about to print The Spirit in DC Archives format, I didn’t get into it because they were starting well before the best material. I never tried to jump in later."

Checker Book Publishing released five or six volumes of Gold Key Star Trek, then lost the license to IDW. Instead of picking up where CBP left off, they started over at the beginning. Well, I wasn't going to "re-buy" the early volumes, and I guess no one else who had the CBP volumes did, either, because the IDW series lasted only two or three volumes.

When IDW picked up the Superman comic strips, they did it right. Kitchen Sink Press already released a volume of Sundays, 1939-1943. IDW picked up with 1943 and continued through 1966, with the intention of re-publishing the early material if/when they got to the end (which they never did). still, it's easier to convince a collector to re-purchase early material to complete a set than it is to buy it "on faith."

Speaking of which, I've been stalled in the middle of the Superman Sundays for a long time now. My plan had been to complete the newspaper strips, then move on the the Silver Age comics (which I'm just starting to read now). Generally speaking, I think Golden Age comic strips are superior to Golden Age Comics books (different "Ages" but roughly the same time period), however that doesn't hold true for Superman. The Superman Sundays are pretty Boring (no pun intended).

This reply was deleted.