As we've discussed new Number Ones HERE and HERE, I've begun to notice that LGBTQ characters have become so commonplace they're hardly worth mention (because we're not mentioning them). I mean, when Batgirl got a trans roommate and lesbian character Batwoman got her own title, that was NEWS! But now that doesn't appear to be the case any more. Marvel's Angela has her own title, and nobody's even bothered to mention that she co-stars with her female lover. (Has she always been gay? I've never read about her before.)

I'm thinking of writing a column about this. I will if the evidence supports my anecdotal observation. So help me out, Legionnaires -- how many LGBTQ characters of recent vintage can you remember? Or  tolder characters who have recently been revealed to be gay -- I'm not picky.

I've got a few of my own I want to mention, but first I want to hear from you folks. Sound off!

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yet the woman that tried to get him to marry her for years isn't.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Batman is still straight.

And Cloud before he/she turned out to be a talking nebula. But was that his idea from the start or did he add that because Marvel said he couldn't have a sex changing character back in the 1980s?

Is it still canon (to the extent DC even still has "canon" anymore) that the Kathy Kane who wanted to marry Batman was the aunt of the Kate Kane who wanted to marry Maggie Sawyer?

Ron M. said:

Yet the woman that tried to get him to marry her for years isn't.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Batman is still straight.

If every story now counts like they said recently then it's canon...somewhere...

How is Betty/Bette related to them now?

Bette has appeared in Batwoman as Kate's cousin, so I'm guessing that she's still Kathy's niece.  Am I the only one who thinks it's interesting (but not in a good way) that the early 1960's Betty Kane Bat-Girl was consistently  portrayed as smarter and more generally competent than the post-Crisis Bette Kane Flamebird ever was?

In the same way post-Crisis Captain Marvel acts a lot more childishly than pre-Crisis Cap ever did.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the originak
"A friend of mine misheard "tropical drink melting in your hand" in the Beach Boys'…"
15 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the originak
"There's a Neil Diamond song, "Forever In Blue Jeans" that I misheard as…"
16 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"As we near the end of the core four Milestone books, here's a look at what's left to…"
19 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion DC's Digital Backlist
"This week's DC backlist! Blood Syndicate 32: By DG Chichester and Denys Cowan &…"
34 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to The Baron's discussion HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE (SPOILERIFFIC!)
"Thanks, Jeff. I guess my feeling is, the passage of time will mean there'll be cognitive…"
1 hour ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to The Baron's discussion HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE (SPOILERIFFIC!)
"As far as I can tell, you're right -- though I haven't read anywhere near the entirety of…"
1 hour ago
Captain Comics replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the originak
"I always heard Creedence Clearwater Revival's "There's a bad moon on the rise"…"
1 hour ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Way to keep a secret, Neal! "
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion How Old Would Comics Characters Be If They Aged Normally? (And What Would They Be Doing Now?)
"Ed McBain took a similar tack in the 87th Precinct series, which spanned 1956 to 2005. Each story…"
3 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Ka-Zar, Conan, and Ka-Zar and Conan"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #37: As I mentioned Sunday, the first issue of Swamp Thing I ever bought, #34, was a recent…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion HISTORY OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE (SPOILERIFFIC!)
"Over in another discussion, I posted the thoughts of Mike Gold apropos the origin of Jon Sable…"
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service