Movies I Have Seen Lately

Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I did realize that the final Will (that the siblings were trying to find and destroy) gave the sister's husband control of all the money. He knows this and is working with the police. After the husband sees the siblings off on their boat, he stays behind to meet the police inspector. The police want to bring in the siblings immediately but the husband wants a drink first. They walk off, giving the siblings on the boat time to commit their suicide/suicide.

Awfully convenient for the husband, don't you think? 

• I EAT YOUR SKIN (1964): "A writer, looking to research voodoo legends for an upcoming book, arrives on as remote tropical island to investigate reports of zombies raoming the land. He soon discovers a scientist and his beautiful daughter living on the island, where the father is experimenting with a serum that has transformed some of the natives into strange looking creatures. When the reamining natives decide to sacrifice the scientist's daught to appease their voodoo gods, our writer must stop them and the scientist from causing any further harm."

Zombie movies are roughly divided into two types: the supernatural zombie and the science zombie. Ever since Night of the Living Dead, the science zombies have ruled in popularity, but I Eat Your Skin is a combination of both. The natives have their own voodoo formula which involves snake venom, but the scientist origianlly came to the island to research a cure for cancer based on it. Then he fell under the influence of a man who wanted to use the formula to create and army of "undead" soldiers. The zombies have grey, claylike skin covered in boils, and bulging eyes. The soundtrack is a mix of crime jazz mixed with jungle drums and a calypso beat. With native Zombies shouting in the background, Tracy pointed out that it is not unlike the soundtrack of Jonny Quest. This would be great fodder for MST3K because it has a coherent plot of its own. It's a "B" movie, but a good one. I enjoyed it. (There was no actual skin-eating involved.)

15529_1_front.jpg

TRAILER (actually the first three minutes of the film).

NOTE: The movie was filmed in 1964 but not released until 1971.

• I remember the newspaper ads for this double bill from 1971. Here's a trivia item from IMDB:

This film sat on the shelf unreleased for six years until is was picked up by distributor Jerry Gross (of Cinemation Industries), who needed a horror film to play on the bottom of a double bill with his in-house production I Drink Your Blood (1971). The title was changed to "I Eat Your Skin" (1970).

12200669897?profile=RESIZE_400x

• That would explain the lack of actual skin eating. According to Wikipedia: "The film was shot entirely in Florida in 1964 under the title Caribbean Adventure to disguise from potential investors the fact that it was a zombie film."

• I saw five Italian horror (and horror-adjacent) movies at Splatterfest XI in Phoenixville, PA, this weekend. From 7pm to around 4:30am, we saw:

Conquest (Lucio Fulci): Something of a Conan knockoff in a prehistoric fantasy world with plenty of nudity

Opera (Dario Argento): My favorite of the night, an opera production of Macbeth turns into a bloodbath, as a killer keeps forcing the lead to witness murders -- by taping a row of needles to her eyes so that if she shuts them, she'll tear her eyes apart!

Death Laid an Egg (Giulio Questi): A love triangle, a murderer, a chicken factory. Not as bloody as I was expecting, but filled with groovy weirdness and crazy marketing slogans for chicken. My other favorite of the night.

Manhattan Baby (Lucio Fulci): Another Fulci, about a couple kids possessed by demons after their dad opens the wrong tomb.

Nothing Underneath (Carlo Vanzina): A Wyoming park ranger goes to Milan to find out what happened to his fashion-model twin sister.

• COUNT DRACULA & HIS VAMPIRE BRIDE (a.k.a. DRACULA: THE SATANIC RITES) (1974): "Count Dracula has developed a deadly strain of bubonic plague. He plans to use his Satan-worshipping disciples to release the plague in London in an effort to destroy the human race. Standing in the way is Dr. Van Helsing (Peter Cushing), Dracula's nemesis, who must not only stop his archenemy but also to save mankind. This was the Last Hammer Horror film featuring Christopher Lee as Dracula."

It was just last week when Tracy decided she wanted to watch a Hammer Horror movie instead of a Crown International Pictures T&A showcase. We watched one of the 1950s classy ones, but this is one of the 1970s gory ones. We watched all of the Universal Studios and Hammer Horror films shortly after we were married (as newlyweds are wont to do), but I'm pretty sure the version of this one we watched was titled "The Satantic Rites of Dracula." This one does reference the previous movie in the series, but other than that it's pretty much standalone. In any case, neither of us remembered anything about it specifically. Still: Cushing, Lee, Hammer... can't go wrong. 

220px-The_Satanic_Rites_of_Dracula_poster.jpg

TRAILER.

• We both needed a break from bad movies, but we're back with a doozy.

COUNTRY BLUE (1973): "A man just released from prison returns to his hometown to try to start his life over. After getting work at a low-paying job, the young man realizes he is going to get nowhere staying in this town. Falling in love with the married daughter of his boss, the man forms a plan to get what he wants out of life. He intends to rob a bank and escape with the loot and the boss's daughter across the border to Mexico."

This is one of those "so-bad-it's-good" films that wants to be Bonnie and Clyde (the 1967 version with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway) in the worst way... and it is (as they say) in the worst way. Dub Taylor plays the father of the girlfriend.

6a6523089ba74c59c1efcbd7e3c677d5f5d9db209b6a6aac3ad93d6cd8f9ec0c._RI_TTW_.jpg

TRAILER.

• We've seen a lot of people who wear Covid masks below their noses, but why would the woman robbing the bank wear hers below her mouth? 

• Because she is incredibly stupid, that's why. They both are. they call each other by their first names during their stick-ups and desreve to be caught. It's a wonder they lasted as long as they did without being captured, but the local cops in this movie are pretty stupid, too. When they finally were captured there was still a half hour left in the film and I found myself wondering what was going to happen next. I'll tell you, the man's relationship with his girlfriend's father ("Jumpy" played by Dub Taylor) who raised him is really quite remarkable. 

• Just rewatched The Bat (1959) starring Vincent Price, who we see kill a guy who has stolen a million dollars and had threatened to kill him. It's probably hidden in the old house rented by Agnes Moorehead, a mystery writer. "The Bat" is a serial killer in the vecinity of the old house. A 27-year-old Darla Hood (from Our Gang) plays the secretary of the guy who stole the money. She is going to testify in the trial about the theft. Hijinx ensue. Available on TCM streaming until Sep 22.

12212177687?profile=RESIZE_400x

TRAILER

This reply was deleted.