Movies I Have Seen Lately

Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My first Barbara Steele movie was The Silent Scream (1979), in which her charcter is silent after damaging her vocal cords with a noose as a teenager. It's a slasher movie but not as bad as most are. Because her character can't speak, Ms Steele does a lot of pantomime, mostly with her eyes. I'll be watching Nightmare Castle.

• Cap, if you're still working your way through Hammer films, you may want to give this one a look.

I'm pretty sure I've got that one in one of my two Hammer collections. And I remember the title from my childhood, when I wondered why a guy named "Kronos" would be a vampire hunter, instead having to do with time or Greek mythology.

And I am still working through the Hammer films.

NIGHTMARE

This was pretty standard fare for the kind of "horror" movies I saw on TV in the early '60s. Not really all that scary. And little me was always thinking, "One way to determine what's going on here is tackle that 'ghost.' Or just throw your candle-holder at it." Which nobody does, because it would un-do the whole scheme. Which means it's a pretty lame scheme. But I didn't mind sitting through it, just because it was so reminiscent of late nights in my childhood, and I always enjoy swimming around in nostalgia for old clothes and cars and effects and acting and actors. My wife, however, pronounced it "stupid" as soon as the credits rolled.

I have to note that when the lead character played her transistor radio, the music was some sort of Big Band swing or jazz. This was 1964, so that's not what was playing on MY transistor radio!

EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN

I accidentally skipped the second Hammer Frankenstein movie (Revenge of Frankenstein) and will correct that error when I can. (I need to see how he got out of being executed!) This one doesn't really encourage me much, though. Peter Cushing is always great but, wow, that was a terrible monster. It looked like a homemade Halloween costume. The hypnotist was a little over the top, and I don't really know what the deaf girl was in the movie for, as she was made superfluous by Hans. (There was a brief suggestion the hypnotist was thinking of raping her, but he didn't, and it would probably have gone over my head when this came out anyway.) And, while Castle Frankenstein had been looted, apparently they didn't take the brandy, of which there was inexplicably a lot. 

This time when the credits rolled, my wife said, "Can we watch something from this century?" 

My first Barbara Steele movie was The Silent Scream (1979), in which her character is silent after damaging her vocal cords with a noose as a teenager. It's a slasher movie but not as bad as most are.

When I was growing up, I'd see a lot of movie stills in comic book ads or in monster magazines and think, "I'll see that movie someday." There was a bunch of them that would be used over and over, until I became familiar with them -- but not with the movies from whence they spraing. Because as it turned out, I didn't end up seeing a lot of those movies! Which is one reason I'm doing this Hammer odyssey. Every once in a while I'll say, "Oh, so THIS is where that still came from." 

Barbara Steele looms large in the "movie stills I've seen but have never seen the movie" category.

• I might have just bought the Hammer collection you're watching these from. They're in it, as are a couple others you've mentioned. The first disc is Brides of the Vampires and Curse of the Werewolf, and I started Brides last night; hopefully I'll be able to wrap it up tonight. 

I also just re-watched Fright Night (1985) for the first time in ages... what a fun movie that is! And I had some freaky moments watching it, as Brewster from certain angles looks a lot like me when I was in high school. Didn't see it then, but it's clear as day to me now. 

• I'm sure we have the same one:

13030125679?profile=RESIZE_400x

I've only got two left to go: Paranoiac and Kiss of the Vampire. After that I'll move on to the other collection, which has 20 movies, unfortunately most of them NOT horror movies:

13030126500?profile=RESIZE_400x

I'll try to find the rest of the horror movies on the various free streamers, or failing that, buy the Blu-ray or DVD (shudder).

• That Nightmare Castle sounds very familiar... like maybe I watched it in 2023 when I was going through all those drive-in "B" movies. I had that project timed so that i would get through the entire set by the end of the year, then I "took a little break" and never got back to it. I've gone the entirty of 2024 without watching a bad movie (not one of that set, anyway). I'll get back to it one of these days.

This reply was deleted.