Replies

• 12389080290?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Aw, that's too bad.

"Comic book legend Ramona Fradon passes away at 97, just after retiring."

That's awesome. "Just after retiring"... at age 97!

• I first experienced her art on Metamorpho. The next work I saw was the Brenda Starr newspaper strip, which I'm sure was better for her bank account.

Hey, if you still love your job and can still do it, why retire?

• Sorry to hear of her passing. She was one of those artists I didn't fully appreciate when I was reading Metamorpho or Aquaman. Now I realize what a terrific and versatile artist she was.

• Likewise. Reading Metamorpho now, with adult eyes, I really appreciate Ramona Fradon's style.

Plus, Fradon succeeded Dale Messick as the artist on the comic strip Brenda Starr, Reporter for 15 years. Brenda Starr had only female artists and writers for the entirety of its run. Which made it all the more irritating that the 1989 movie Brenda Starr showed some dumb guy named Mike as the creator! 

In this movie, starring Brooke Shields in the title role, Brenda comes to Earth-Prime and has a series of adventures around the world while the dumb guy named Mike chases after her. It's a pretty terrible film, even with the presence of no less than Timothy Dalton as Brenda's dashing man of mystery, Basil St. John, with eyepatch and all. One running gag is that in every new scene, Brenda is sporting a new outfit.

• RAMONA & ME: I don't know which DC comics this appears in (could be all of them but I read it in Wonder Woman #9), but there is a two-page tribute to Ramona Fradon titled "Ramona & Me" written by Brittany Holzherr and draw by June Brigman. It's a touching tribute which ends with a tribute to her mother written by Amy Fradon.

For more quotes remembering Ramona, visit: DC.com/remembering-ramona

DC | Remembering Ramona Fradon
    DC.com - Welcome to the Official Site for DC. DC is home to the world's Greatest Super Heroes, including SUPERMAN, BATMAN, WONDER WOMAN, GREEN LANTER…
    • It was in Justice League vs. Godzilla vs. Kong #7, as well.

• GCD tells me that Metamorpho’s first appearance in Brave and Bold #57 went on sale on October 29, 1964. I was sixteen at the time. This was my first experience of Ramona Fradon’s art.

Even though her art was quite different from the art of Curt Swan and Carmine Infantino that I was used to, I immediately enjoyed it. Part of that was probably my exposure to Steve Ditko’s work on Amazing Adult Fantasy and Amazing Spider-Man. Since then, I have been open to different art styles.

This reply was deleted.