There's a big development that happens in Superman #38 -- even moreso than the new power that's been hyped (the Super Flare) and the new costume that's revealed (a slight tweak on the New 52 version, bringing it a little more in line with the pre-Flashpoint version while maintaining some of the changes, like keeping Superman out of red shorts for a while longer.But the end of the story has a bigger deal than a power that'll show up only rarely, or a cosmetic costume change that' might have escaped the notice of readers who hadn't been primed to look for it. After some spoiler space, I'll mention it.

spoiler

space

spoiler

space

spoiler

space

Clark told Jimmy Olsen that he's Superman!

Now, this is right after Jimmy does something incredibly selfless, So Clark is obviously impressed by his character. It's also after a story in which Clark needed a friend so bad he was taken in my an interdimensional mass murderer. So maybe he should talk to his pal more often, and more honestly.

I think it's a great idea. With his marriage to Lois dissolved, Clark really needs someone human he can relate to and talk to -- about everything -- and by making that person Jimmy, it puts him squarely back in the mythos. Lois, I'm sure, will learn eventually -- and it will be interesting to see what Jimmy has to say about whether Clark should tell her. 

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. What do you think?

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"You let your cousin move in! And a girl cousin at that!"

"Hey, at least I've had girls at mine!"

"And Batman, too!"

"Stop bringing up Batman!"

Is it just me, or does Lana look real Kurt Schaffenburger-ish?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think that reaction from Lois might be in Action 597 -- this issue, from Byrne.

I've always thought that, too. Seems like something Byrne might do with an old-fashioned cover like this.

You know, I've been enjoying the Nu52 over the past six months or so as a kind of "have your cake and eat it too" situation. I like it. I love that Jimmy Olsen knows before Lois Lane, and that Clark trusts Jimmy because of his goodness. This is absolutely what makes sense. The story was great, too.

What about that story where Lois found out about Superman being Clark Kent way back in 1940? Is there a thread discussing that story? Does anyone know details about it?

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've always thought that, too. Seems like something Byrne might do with an old-fashioned cover like this.

I don't want to pretend I'd spotted that, but now that you two have pointed it out I can really see it. The Schaffenberger look is in the inking, not just the drawing. The GCD attributes the pencils and inks to John Byrne but it could be Schaffenberger inked. The comic came out in Nov. 1987 and the GCD tells me he did work for the Super-office in 1988, including the pencils on World of Smallville.

I was surprised to see Leonard Starr's credit. He was the superb artist of Mark Perkins, On Stage. (He also drew the revived Annie strip for a good while.) The GCD says he and Williams co-inked the story.

(Corrected.)

Ron M. said:

What about that story where Lois found out about Superman being Clark Kent way back in 1940? Is there a thread discussing that story? Does anyone know details about it?

There's a website dedicated to it, with the surviving pages and replacements for the others, here.

Wow...

Why isn't this more well known? I can't believe I'm just now finding out about something like that.

Thank you for sharing this! Once more, you are a scholar and a gentleman!

Luke Blanchard said:

Ron M. said:

There's a website dedicated to it, with the surviving pages and replacements for the others, here.

I just heard about this a few days ago watching comic book reviews on youtube. I thought kryptonite had originated in the radio show.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service