State of the Superman books?

I have been, for some time now, tradewaiting the Superman books. I had been following both Superman and Action regularly since "One Year Later", right up to Kurt Busiek's last issue on Superman (#675), and the conclusion of the Brainiac storyline in Action (#870), and then the tradewaiting commenced, emphasis on the "waiting". Here we are, almost a year later, and no trades yet! Now there have been hardcovers of the New Krypton storyline, and there might be one for James Robinson's first arc (Sup. 677-680), although I'm not 100% sure of that. My problem is that I'm a cheapskate; if I'm buying a hardcover, it needs to have the words "Archives" or "Masterworks" as part of the title. And so I wait, (somewhat) patiently, (somewhat) confident that sometime in 2010, DC will release a softcover of the New Krypton storyline, maybe the first half of the World of New Krypton 12 parter, and who knows, perhaps even collections from the current Superman-free Action and Superman. In the meantime, I think I'll fill my Super-fix with the new Secret Origin miniseries by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. A few questions: - How are you enjoying Action starring Nightwing and Flamebird, Superman starring Mon-El, and World of New Krypton? - Can you recommend any recent or upcoming Superman reprint collections? - Can anyone explain the logic of DC having long gaps between the conclusion of an arc and the release of the trade paperbacks? As a reader I find it frustrating, but is there something I'm missing here? Is there a concern that the market would be flooded with product? Or that the monthlies would be harmed by releasing collections quicker? Or am I just unreasonable?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We discussed what's been published a little bit elsewhere on this board (someone with the search-fu skills will no doubt post a link before too long), but it does seem like everything's been published somewhere. (Yes, there is a HC of Robinson's first arc.)

As far as the logic behind DC's publishing schedule... As far as I can tell, they're following the logic of the book publishers: wait six months to a year between format, so that you've tapped out the audience for one format before you publish in another. That means six months after a storyline ends (and, therefore, a year after the storyline began), DC puts out a hardcover. Then, a year after the hardcover, they put out a softcover.

In the sense that those publications are, essentially, competing with themselves, it makes sense; that's why traditional prose books wait so long before releasing the mass-market paperback edition. Of course, I think it's utterly flawed to follow this procedure, as it undercuts any chance of audience crossover, and have railed against it many times before, but someone in the executive offices clearly feels that it's the better business strategy, so...
  • - How are you enjoying Action starring Nightwing and Flamebird, Superman starring Mon-El, and World of New Krypton?

I've been enjoying them quite a lot, although a few issues with fill-in artists weren't quite as good as the others.

- Can you recommend any recent or upcoming Superman reprint collections?

If you've already collected up through the end of the Busiek issues and the Brainiac story, then I don't have much I can say.

- Can anyone explain the logic of DC having long gaps between the conclusion of an arc and the release of the trade paperbacks? As a reader I find it frustrating, but is there something I'm missing here? Is there a concern that the market would be flooded with product? Or that the monthlies would be harmed by releasing collections quicker? Or am I just unreasonable?

It doesn't make sense to me either. I suppose there's the idea that if the trade comes out too soon, it discourages people from buying the monthly comics. But I don't agree with that. There's too much counter-evidence showing that timely trades allow people to keep up, catch up and even jump to the monthly issues (see the success of Fables, Y: The Last Man, Invincible and Walking Dead, all of which saw their monthly sales go up after the release of trade). Releasing trades later instead of sooner doesn't benefit the monthly books. And it can actually hurt the sales of the trade as there's a loss of interest, excitement and awareness. Plus, there's the issue you're facing of someone interested in the trade unable to find out when the book will come out. All of the arguments point to timely release of trades. But DC apparently sees something I don't.
  • I read all the S-titles (including Supergirl and, now, Adventure Comics), and, FWIW, far and away my hands-down current favorite is Superman: World of New Krypton.
  • I was reading them all, but after a couple months of being bored to death by most of the stories, I'm only sticking with Supergirl, Adventure Comics, and the upcoming Superman Origin book.
  • I am really looking forward to thw new origin (and you can bet yer sweet bippy that'll be collected!). The first issue (or the 504th if you prefer) of Adventure Comics didn't really click with me, but the second issue did. It's not part of the "S-shield" numbering... at least not yet. Initially I bought it mainly for the LSH feature. The Kon-El version of Superboy has rarely interested me, but Francis Manapul's artwork is very good. speaking of S-shild numbering, I notice that DC is doing something new with their periodicals. Rather than numbering 1-52 for each year year, they've started numbering by chapters in a given storyline. starting with the current "Codename: Patriot." That's all right with me, and from the suits' POV, it gives them a whole lotta "new number ones" (after a fashion) each year.
  • The John's Legion and Brainiac stories got me interested in the Superman books again and those storylines are continuing more in the Adventure title...and, man, I love...no, I LURVE...that art!
  • I'm enjoying all the Super-books more than I have since, well, probably since Curt Swan retired.

That's a pretty strong statement, and I guess there's some hyperbole involved. But for the first time in forever, I'm actually interested in what's going to happen next in a Super-book. That status quo is completely up in the air, which means it's not the stolid, predictable Superman stories we usually see that even the writers seem bored with.

Of the bunch, I agree with others that Superman: World of New Krypton is the coolest. But I'm also delighted with the new version of Mon-El (burying all that Valor/M'onel nonsense for good), and the current version of Supergirl (making her an admirable character again, and not that spoiled brat in slut clothes she was for a couple of years) and even the new Nightwing and Flamebird, if for no other reason than to have a viable series that isn't stuck in a bottle.

Some books are better than others, and I'm not crazy about all of it (like what they've done with Lucy Lane). But I don't know where any of this is going, and that's cool all by itself.
  • Captain Comics said:
    Some books are better than others, and I'm not crazy about all of it (like what they've done with Lucy Lane).
    Or General Sam Lane. I've been enjoying the Super-books, though the art has been incredibly hit and miss, but the one thing that sticks in my craw about the whole premise is this: Not only are they rehashing the old trope of an evil military mastermind, but to have that character be Lois's dad is just...irritating. I'm sure there's a reason why it's irritating, but I haven't given it enough thought to express that reason...
  • and the upcoming Superman Origin book.

I am really looking forward to thw new origin (and you can bet yer sweet bippy that'll be collected!)

Really? When I first saw that they were doing yet another Superman origin/year one whatever I rolled my eyes. How many do we need?

Back on topic. I've been enjoying the new storylines thatI have read, but I haven't been reading everything.

• Mickey McLaurin said:
    Captain Comics said:
    Some books are better than others, and I'm not crazy about all of it (like what they've done with Lucy Lane).
    Or General Sam Lane. I've been enjoying the Super-books, though the art has been incredibly hit and miss, but the one thing that sticks in my craw about the whole premise is this: Not only are they rehashing the old trope of an evil military mastermind, but to have that character be Lois's dad is just...irritating.

And let's not forget that they had to bring Lois' dad back from the dead in order to rehash that trope -- making the situation twice as irritating.

With regards to the original question though, I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Despite a few qualms here and there, I've been enjoying the Super-books as well.
This reply was deleted.