It's that time of year again!
Continuing the tradition started by Doctor Hmmm? back in 2010, and followed inconsistently since (2011201320142015201620172018 and 2019), here's a catchall thread about any and all shows debuting or returning this fall, with an emphasis on the shows that don't generate their own threads.

Views: 759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've been watching Call Me Kat since it started. It's really more Tracy's show than mine, but what I like about it is that she's playing a character so different than Amy Farah Fowler... that, and the breaking of the fourth wall (both of which fans of The Big Bang Theory apparently dislike). 

I just watch the second episode of the second season of Batwoman (with a new Batwoman). there were really no surprises; it's really exactly like what I would have anticipated. Maybe I would have liked the reboot more if they had thrown in some surprises. 

And although Young Sheldon is simply back from hiatus, it feels new to me. My second favorite show after This Is Us. 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine won't return this season. Instead, it's been pushed to next year ... but next season will be its last.

From TVLine: "Brooklyn Nine-Nine to End With Long-Delayed, Shortened Season 8"

CBS announces that Mom and NCIS: New Orleans will both come to an end this season.

From Deadline: "‘Mom’ to End With Season 8 On CBS, Sets Series Finale" and "‘NCIS: New Orleans’ to End With Season 7 On CBS"

I never watched NCIS: New Orleans, so that means nothing to me. Mom I'm going to miss; I like it a lot. As noted above, Anna Faris left the show at the start of this season, halfway through a two-year contract extension. The show really hasn't been right without her; even though it was gradually becoming "The Allison Janney Show," Faris was more crucial to the mix than people realized.

On the other hand, CBS renewed The Neighborhood and Bob Hearts Abishola.

From The Hollywood Reporter"'Bob Hearts Abishola,' 'The Neighborhood' Renewed at CBS"

TVLine flags eight shows on the bubble ("Cancellation Jitters: 8 Shows on the Bubble at Netflix, ABC, CBS and More"), including a few we've discussed above: B Positive, Mr. Mayor and Call Me Kat.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

The other day I watched the first episode of Mr. Mayor, and I didn't laugh once. I won't be returning. A friend of mine told the second episode was a little bit better. It would have to be 100x better for me to even consider watching another episode.

I tried Mr. Mayor once, and I agree. With all the talent involved here, in front of and behind the screen (like TVLine pointed out), you would think there would be better results.

I gave a try to Kenan, the sitcom starring Saturday Night Live mainstay Kenan Thompson. He plays the anchor of an early-morning TV news-talk show in Atlanta, a recently widowed dad whose brother and father-in-law are around giving him help with his pre-tween daughters.

It's ... pretty mediocre. 

First, the setup is straight out of Full House. Second, the writing ought to have gone for warm and fuzzy family comedy, but instead has gone for setup-joke-punchline. Third, the two daughters should have been "aww, cute" but are instead throwbacks to smartalecky stock sitcom kids from the '70s. Fourth, for some odd reason, a thoroughly miscast Don Johnson is playing the father-in-law.

Emblematic of this show's missteps: The pilot ended with Kenan and the kids watching a video of outtakes from the sitcom TV Kenan and his TV wife starred in, Grown-Ass Baby. In the show-within-the-show, they are parent and child, even though they are about the same age ... and off-screen, the two are a couple ... and the director has to keep telling them not to play the tender "mom tucks the boy in at night" scene like a seduction.

Thompson and Chris Redd (who plays the brother) are commuting from New York to Los Angeles to do the show, but I don't think they'll have to worry about that for too long.

I'm sorry to hear about Call Me Kat. Tracy will be even sorrier. It was pleasant. 

Woof. That sounds pretty, rough. I only saw a preview, and I was kind of surprised to see Don Johnson. Since you saw it, how was he? Was he the straight man or was doing comedy as well?

The show within a show premise sounds neat, but I guess it depends on the execution

ClarkKent_DC said:

I gave a try to Kenan, the sitcom starring Saturday Night Live mainstay Kenan Thompson. He plays the anchor of an early-morning TV news-talk show in Atlanta, a recently widowed dad whose brother and father-in-law are around giving him help with his pre-tween daughters.

It's ... pretty mediocre. 

First, the setup is straight out of Full House. Second, the writing ought to have gone for warm and fuzzy family comedy, but instead has gone for setup-joke-punchline. Third, the two daughters should have been "aww, cute" but are instead throwbacks to smartalecky stock sitcom kids from the '70s. Fourth, for some odd reason, a thoroughly miscast Don Johnson is playing the father-in-law.

Emblematic of this show's missteps: The pilot ended with Kenan and the kids watching a video of outtakes from the sitcom TV Kenan and his TV wife starred in, Grown-Ass Baby. In the show-within-the-show, they are parent and child, even though they are about the same age ... and off-screen, the two are a couple ... and the director has to keep telling them not to play the tender "mom tucks the boy in at night" scene like a seduction.

Thompson and Chris Redd (who plays the brother) are commuting from New York to Los Angeles to do the show, but I don't think they'll have to worry about that for too long.

Woof. That sounds pretty, rough. I only saw a preview, and I was kind of surprised to see Don Johnson. Since you saw it, how was he? Was he the straight man or was doing comedy as well?

On Kenan, Don Johnson's character is a rake, a rogue, a roué, with a trail of broken relationships and three or four ex-wives who was never there for his late daughter. So why is he around now? I suppose to make amends. He was dropping one-liners like everyone else. (In one moment, the daughters were talking about a school assignment about geography, and he cracked the only state worth mentioning is Florida.)

The show within a show premise sounds neat, but I guess it depends on the execution

They didn't do the show-within-a-show bit the second time I watched it, so it may not be a regular thing, but I don't think I'll watch it again to find out.

Per TVLine: "CBS Sets End Dates for Mom and NCIS: New Orleans Plus 17 Season Finales."

And over on NBC, Superstore has its going-out-of-business sale on this week. Per TV Insider: "‘Superstore’ Showrunners Promise a ‘Satisfying Payoff’ in the Seri...

They set things up pretty nicely in the two preceding episodes. Two weeks ago, district manager Jeff returns to tell the team its customer service scores are low and need to improve.

Naturally, they screw it up.

Floor supervisor Cheyenne sends the people the customers dislike the most to the back room and has them move a new shipment of stuff onto shelves. This includes Jonah, who rails against the assignment as busywork. (This will come back to bite them.)

Then Dina gets the harebrained idea that they'll cause problems for the customers and "fix" them ... which leads Marcus to plug all the toilets with sausages and bottles ... which causes a flood bad enough to require the whole store to close. And those boxes in the back? Those boxes full of new merchandise corporate owners Zephra wanted to push? Jonah led everyone to go outside rather than do the "busywork," and they all got damaged. 

In the next episode, the son of Cloud 9's founder comes by. He has a reputation for being an eccentric genius with bold ideas -- telling the workers to take off their blue vests, and the products out of packages, and orders Glenn to restyle his hair -- but eventually Cheyenne and Glenn realize he's a bully and tell him off. Before he leaves, however, the son lets slip that new owners Zeprha plan to cut their losses and shut down the Cloud 9 chain. In the very end, a worried Cheyenne puts in a call to Amy (!), who knows nothing about it.

Superstore's two-part finale airs Thursday.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service