FENCE VOL 5 TP
POWER RANGERS #22
DARK HORSE COMICS
THE AMAZING SCREW-ON HEAD ANNIVERSARY EDITION HC
In 2022, Dark Horse Comics will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Mike Mignola and Dave Stewart’s seminal Eisner Award-winning graphic novel The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects with the publication of a new hardcover edition, which features 40 pages of new material. The new hardcover edition will include 19 pages of the never completed, never-before-published "Axorr, Slayer of Demons" story, written and drawn by the legendary creator of Hellboy.
“As proud as I am of the Hellboy stuff, the stories that make up the Screw-On Head collection are actually my favorite things I’ve done,” said Mignola. “They are the most ME, they are as close as you’re going to get to looking inside my head and seeing the stuff that runs around in there. A while back I started work on another of my odd non-Hellboy things, Axorr, Slayer of Demons. Eventually I hit a snag and never finished it, but was really happy with the 19 pages I did finish, and I’m super happy that they are finding a home here in the new expanded 20th anniversary edition of this book. This is where they belong. If there is just one true ‘Mignola’ book to have, I think this is it.”
In The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects, Emperor Zombie is trying to take over the world once again. The Amazing Screw-On Head has been enlisted by President Lincoln to stop the evil emperor, with the help of his faithful partner Mr. Groin and his trusty canine companion Mr. Dog. Screw-On Head will have to brave ancient tombs and defeat demons from a dimension inside a turnip, just one of the strange and mischievous tales in this beloved collection.
“This anniversary edition does more than revisit a now-classic book of Mike’s, it adds to it with unpublished comic pages and new illustrations,” said Dark Horse Editor Katii O’Brien. “Between this and our one-shot Sir Edward Grey: Acheron, written and drawn entirely by Mike, this is a great time to be a fan of his art.”
- This is the story that made my wife a Mike Mignola fan. She loved how weird it was, and the dream logic that made it work. We even watched the cartoon! (Yes, there's a cartoon.)
- Here's a preview.
APEX LEGENDS OVERTIME TPB
BERSERK DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 11
BLACKSAD: THEY ALL FALL DOWN PART 1 HC
Acclaimed creators Juan Díaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido present the long-awaited return of hardboiled feline P.I. John Blacksad in a brand-new, two-part storyline. Blacksad: They All Fall Down • Part One will be published in English by Dark Horse in July 2022, following its initial publication by Dargaud and Europe Comics in 2021 — the French edition of which has been nominated for the Angoulême Grand Prix award. Translated by Diana Schutz and Brandon Kander, and lettered by Tom Orzechowski and Lois Athena Buhalis, Dark Horse is proud to present this noir masterpiece to North American audiences — the first new Blacksad volume in seven years.
In Blacksad: They All Fall Down • Part One, Detective Blacksad deals with the mob, the unions and mid-century “master builder” Lewis Solomon, who plans to pave over New York City’s green spaces, come hell or high water. While Blacksad must navigate from the lofty world of 1950s theater all the way to the city’s seedy depths, Solomon looms above it all in pursuit of his own dreams — but is the cost too high? Meanwhile, Weekly finds himself in the hot seat just as an old flame comes back to burn his pal Blacksad!
Blacksad: They All Fall Down • Part One joins the previously published volumes of the beloved Blacksad series, including Blacksad HC (collecting the first three albums, “Somewhere Between the Shadows,” “Arctic Nation” and “Red Soul”), Blacksad: A Silent Hell HC, and Blacksad: Amarillo HC.
Praise and Awards for Blacksad:
- Official Selection of the Angoulême International Comics Festival 2022
- Eisner Award-winner: Best Painter, Juanjo Guarnido (2011, 2013); Best U.S. Edition of International Material (2013, 2015)
- Angoulême Prize-winner: Prize for Artwork (2004); Prize for a Series (2006)
- Worldwide bestseller, now translated for 39 different countries
“Grade A. Feels like the unearthed film-noir storyboards of a master.” — Entertainment Weekly
“A tour de force! Don’t miss this!” — Neal Adams
“As good as it gets!” — Stan Lee
“Brilliant art and an unusual display of anthropomorphic realism.” — Will Eisner
“The art is lush and vibrant and loaded with details and specificity … Blacksad is a beautiful crime comic with an interesting take on the hard-boiled P.I. story … a nice addition to any crime reader’s shelf.” — Spinetingler Magazine
- Jeepers, all the blurbs are by dead people! I'm sure they were alive when they gave those quotes, but jeez.
- Also, dead or not, they're right. Blacksad is awesome. It's like Ed Brubaker stories drawn by Stan Sakai.
CAT GAMER VOL 2 TP
COLD BODIES TP
From Eisner and GLAAD Media Award-nominated writer Magdalene Visaggio (Calamity Kate, Kim & Kim) and creator of SyFy Channel’s Vagrant Queen, and illustrated by Andrea Mutti (Starship Down, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: War) comes Cold Bodies, a 1980s meta-horror homage graphic novel focusing on how trauma affects victims of slashers and never leaves decades later.
Years ago, Denise Stokes was the sole survivor of the brutal Winter Man massacre, in which several young adults were slaughtered during a powerful blizzard in Wisconsin. Now, in present day, Denise has tried to bury the past behind her, while the world around her has become obsessed with the murders through a popular film franchise called Snow Day. And as the anniversary of the killings approaches, Denise finds herself in a dark place as she begins to see the Winter Man show up again and the difference between what’s real and what isn’t begins to collapse around her.
Praise for Calamity Kate:
"Corin Howell's artwork on Calamity Kate is popping with energy and Mags Visaggio imbues the characters with life. This book is fun, clever and eye-catching!” — Jeff Lemire
“Visaggio is a REAL visceral, dare I say, important voice in comics. Kate is another fantastic, fun creation and I'm all in the for the ride!!” — Brian Michael Bendis
“Calamity Kate is a chaotic sword lesbian with a dashing smile and we're all going to fall in love with this gay disaster from page one.” — Leah Williams
A new internet challenge called "creeping" is sweeping across social media.
"Creeping" is a dangerous online trend that dares participants to spend the night at a frightening location — from crumbling cemeteries to derelict morgues. As more people join in, the competition increases — who can outdo the latest scary destination? One group of thrill-seekers determines to find the most terrifying place in the world — an abandoned medieval fortress turned insane asylum fills the bill, but they soon realize they are in for more than they bargained for.
Written by Zack Keller (Death Head, Meet Me at The Falls) with original story by Mike Richardson (Echoes, Living with the Dead), and art by Doug Wheatley (AVP: Thicker than Blood, Star Wars: Dark Times), this graphic novel takes you on a horrifying journey where fun and mischief take a shocking turn into the ultimate fight for survival.
CRIMINAL MACABRE: SPIRIT OF THE DEMON TP
Dark Horse Comics and Steve Niles are teaming up again for more Criminal Macabre! Criminal Macabre: Spirit of the Demon is an all new original Cal McDonald story told as a self-contained hardcover graphic novel illustrated by Syzmon Kudranski (Spawn, The Punisher).
Supernatural detective Cal McDonald, is ripped again from his self-imposed retirement to resume his monster-killing career after hunting down a serial-killing priest with a blood-draining knife on a trail leading him directly to the gates of Hell!
"For this graphic novel I've taken a slightly, more serious approach to Cal McDonald,” Steve Niles says about Spirit of the Demon. “It's a much moodier piece and the art by Szymon is dark. It's about falling into Hell so it fits well."
Praise for Criminal Macabre: The Big Bleed Out:
“The Big Bleed Out is a great new addition to the Cal McDonald legacy. It pays homage to great characters of the old noir days like Humphrey Bogart while telling a fresh new tale.” — AIPT
“Criminal Macabre: The Big Bleed Out is a classic horror noir tale on the mean streets of LA executed to perfection.” — The Brazen Bull
“Even if you haven't made your way into the world of Criminal Macabre before, this seems to be a genuinely good place to start.” — Comicbook.com
EC ARCHIVES HAUNT OF FEAR VOL 2 TP
HELLBOY & THE BPRD: 1957 — FALLING SKY ONE-SHOT
HELLBOY UNIVERSE ESSENTIALS: WITCHFINDER TP
Brian Michael Bendis, the award-winning cocreator of Miles Morales, Naomi, Jessica Jones and Powers, tells a modern noir tale of crime, greed and double cross.
A female bail agent, a low-level confidence man and his loose-cannon sidekick form an unlikely alliance to track down the ultimate score — a hidden stash of life-altering, untraceable mob cash.
For this hard-luck trio, however, the old saying "more money, more problems" will prove to be disturbingly prophetic.
Collecting all of the original Jinx issues published by Caliber Press and Image Comics, this comprehensive trade paperback edition features an introduction by acclaimed comics creator David Mack and includes more than 60 pages of behind-the-scenes bonus material!
- I never did find a copy of Torso in the Comics Cave, so I guess I haven't read that one. But I did find a copy of Jinx, which means I've read it ... and don't remember a thing about it.
LEGEND OF KORRA ART ANIMATED DLX ED BOOK 4: BALANCE HC 2ND EDITION
ORPHAN & FIVE BEASTS TPB
SHIFTING EARTH TP
In a not-so-distant future, a freak particle storm has landed botanist Dr. Maeve Millay on an idyllic yet strange parallel Earth, with no way back home. But just like her own climate-ravaged planet, this verdant Earth has a sinister side ... which astronomer Zuzi battles every day. Both women are fighters, and both face a choice: forge new paths, or save the worlds they've always known?
Written by New York Times bestselling author Cecil Castellucci (Shade: The Changing Girl, Soupy Comes Home, The Plain Janes) and illustrated by rising star Flavia Biondi (Ruby Falls) with breathtaking colors by Fabiana Mascolo.
SIN CITY VOL 5: FAMILY VALUES (4TH ED) DLX HC
SIN CITY VOL 5: FAMILY VALUES (4TH ED) TP
STAR WARS REBELS TP
After what happened with Seer, there’s no time to waste for the Batgirls as they go Batgirling back into detective mode! And this new murder hits even closer to home — literally! As Steph, Cass, and Babs are racing to put the clues together about who might be the Hill Ripper, they get an unexpected visit. Who doesn’t love a killer fight scene? Yet with all this murder going on, Steph still manages to get her flirt on!
- Heads up, Batgirls readers!
BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #18
BATMAN VS. ROBIN: ROAD TO WAR TP
BLOOD SYNDICATE SEASON ONE #4 (OF 6)
As Holocaust rampages through Dakota, Wise, Tech and Fade are just trying to survive — but so are Aquamaria, Third Rail and Brickhouse! When these two groups cross paths, they can tell the balance of power in the city is shifting … if they can avoid killing each other long enough to take that power!
- Heads up, Milestone readers!
DARK CRISIS WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE — GREEN LANTERN #1 ONE-SHOT
When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost … but the spirit of the Justice League can never truly die. John Stewart takes flight to defend his planet as the Emerald Knight of Justice alongside allies Red Hood and the blind prophet Kyle Rayner! Plus: Hawkgirl takes to the skies in her own unique world! Where there’s life there’s hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of the DCU’s biggest event of 2022!
- I’m glad I decided to tradewait Dark Crisis, because I would inevitably have missed one or more of these one-shots.
DCEASED: WAR OF THE UNDEAD GODS #1 (OF 8)
What began as a battle for Earth has become a war for the galaxy as the epic final chapter in the massive DCeased franchise is here! The emergence of a reborn, undead Darkseid in DCeased: Dead Planet sets the stage for the most devastating conflict yet for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman! As the Anti-Life Equation spreads into the cosmos, the survivors of Earth prepare for the coming apocalypse and realize their only hope could lie in the most powerful surviving hero from the first DCeased series. ... The bestselling creative team of Tom Taylor and Trevor Hairsine return for their third and final installment in War of the Undead Gods!
- For a “Dead Planet,” the Earth in DCeased seems to go on and on and on …
DEATHSTROKE INC. VOL 1: KING OF THE SUPER-VILLAINS HC
FOURTH WORLD BY JACK KIRBY BOXED SET
FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #16
HARLEY QUINN #19
I AM BATMAN #12
JURASSIC LEAGUE #4 (OF 6)
KAMANDA BY JACK KIRBY VOL 1 TP
NAOMI SEASON 2 #6 (OF 6)
NUBIA, QUEEN OF THE AMAZON #3 (OF 4)
SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #14
WONDER WOMAN #790
- Hey, an homage to Wonder Woman: The Hyketeia!
- Since this is being listed again, I guess it got bumped from last week.
ELVIRA IN HORRORLAND #3
SHEENA: QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE #8
RED SONJA FAIRY TALES ONE-SHOT
Sonja as you've never seen her ... in a fairy tale!
Once Upon A Time, a handful of magical beans fell to the ground, and up grew a towering beanstalk that reached above the clouds! Those brave enough to scale the beanstalk would find at its top a hungry giant, with a taste for human bones. But his hunger will not be sated when he is visited by a SHE-DEVIL WITH A SWORD.
- Here are two one-shots positing Dynamite heroines in fairy tales: Red Sonja in Jack and the Beanstalk, and Vampirella in Little Red Riding Hood (below).
- Cute idea. The Big Bad Wolf is in for a surprise! And I'm guessing there's a giant about to lose an Achilles tendon.
VAMPIRELLA FAIRY TALES ONE-SHOT
Vampirella as you've never seen her ... in a fairy tale!
Once Upon A Time, there was a cottage deep within the forest, were an elder lived, eagerly awaiting the arrival of her granddaughter with wine and cake — not knowing of the horrid fanged beast that stalks the forest, seeking easy prey. But little does the fanged beast realize that the granddaughter has fangs of her own.
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ANNUAL 2022
GI JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO — BEST OF STORM SHADOW
GIL KANE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ARTISAN EDITION
KILL LOCK: ARTISAN WRAITH #6 (OF 7)
THE DEADLIEST BOUQUET #1 (OF 5)
In The Deadliest Bouquet, Jasmine Hawthorn — a hard-edged Nazi hunter who trained her daughters in the art of espionage — finally has her complicated past catch up to her. Now it’s up to estranged sisters Rose, Poppy and Violet to solve their mother’s murder … that is, if they can avoid killing each other in the process.
"This story has kicked around in my head for a long time, so it's amazing to see it in print from Image!" said Schultz.
Borelli added: "The story of the three sisters got me involved from the first moment. It has everything I ever wanted to read in a comic.”
Perfect for fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this exciting new series is perhaps best described as Charmed meets Charlie’s Angels — wrapped in plenty of late ’90s-era nostalgia.
- This doesn't grab me. I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm tired of family arguments presented as entertainment? Maybe the set-up seems a little too carefully staged? Can't tell you. I will read the first issue to see if it can change my mind.
- Here's a trailer.
- Here's a preview.
EIGHT BILLION GENIES #4 (OF 8)
KING SPAWN #13
LOVE EVERLASTING #1
From superstar, award-winning creators Tom King (Batman, The Vision, Mister Miracle) and Elsa Charretier (November, The Infinite Loop), cast popular Romance genre tropes in an unsettling Horror light in their new series Love Everlasting. This ongoing series will launch in August from Image Comics.
"Love Everlasting is my dream project. It is a chance to create another Vision or Mister Miracle, to explore the themes of conformity and rebellion through the tale of one woman's journey through the fantastic and horrifying world of Romance,” said King in an exclusive scoop on the announcement at ComicBook.com. “After a decade in comics, this is my first creator-owned and the most ambitious project I've ever worked on. Elsa and I are trying to create another Sandman, an epic exploration of the entire history of storytelling, of how myths and tales of love haunt us, enthrall us, imprison us, and perhaps, occasionally, free us."
In Love Everlasting, Joan Peterson discovers that she is trapped in an endless, terrifying cycle of “romance” — a problem to be solved, a man to marry — and every time she falls in love she’s torn from her world and thrust into another teary saga. Her bloody journey to freedom and revelation starts in this breathtaking, groundbreaking first issue.
Charretier added: “Never before in my career have I had the opportunity to dig so deeply into all aspects of storytelling. Love Everlasting pushes me to explore world-building, to extrapolate designs from all eras and places and adapt them to comics, to come up with gestures and compositions that delight readers and terrify them all the same. We're really firing on all cylinders here.”
The series will feature a number of eye-popping variant covers showcasing the talents of such artists as: Cliff Chiang, Alison Sampson, Sean Phillips, Amanda Conner, Terry Dodson, Tula Lotay, Stjepan Šejić, Jenny Frison, Clay Mann, Leslie Hung, Matias Bergara, Mitch Gerads and more!
"Inverted Quantum Leap with a hellish romantic edge.” — Kieron Gillen
- I don't know if the stories will live up to those covers, but if they do, this is a winner. Those covers are hilarious, and the way romance comics should have always been done!
PRODIGY: ICARUS SOCIETY #2 (OF 5)
SPAWN COMPENDIUM VOL 3 TPB
STARHENGE: DRAGON & BOAR #2
A TOWN CALLED TERROR #5
UNNATURAL BLUE BLOOD #2 (OF 10)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #7
Marvel Comics will honor 60 years of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN with the launch of a legendary new run by writer Zeb Wells and definitive Spider-Man artist John Romita Jr. From the first issue, fans will see the makings of a bold era in the life of Peter Parker. On the outs with the FF, the Avengers, and even Aunt May, the question that will be on everyone’s mind will be: WHAT DID SPIDER-MAN DO? The new saga will take another wild turn in July’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #7 when Norman Osborn returns with big plans for Peter and ushers in one of the biggest Spidey status quo changes in years … courtesy of Oscorp?! Spider-Man will be getting a new suit complete with accessories that look vaguely … familiar. Is that a GLIDER?!
AVENGERS and MOON GIRL #1
Moon Girl’s tour of the Marvel Universe continues in July with another one-shot teaming up the young super genius with some of Marvel’s biggest heroes! Following June’s MILES MORALES AND MOON GIRL #1, Lunella Lafayette is called on by Earth’s Mightiest Heroes to save the world in AVENGERS AND MOON GIRL #1, assembling alongside Iron Man, Captain Marvel and more. Acclaimed novelist Mohale Mashigo will be joined by artist Diogenes Neves for this latest one-shot that will further cement Moon Girl’s prominence in the Marvel mythos while also providing perfect entry points for readers curious to learn more about the young hero.
Even after a team-up with Miles Morales to scout Brooklyn for her missing T-Rex, Moon Girl is still missing Devil Dinosaur. And now she has a wonky Devil clone to try and stabilize for fear of explosive repercussions. But the Avengers have found some rogue dinosaur activity and need her to come with them right away to fix it — from Wakanda to the moon!
“Writing Moon Girl is a dream come true,” Mashigo said. “Lunella is fun, quirky, smart and full of energy. I've enjoyed seeing her get out of her comfort zone and shine even brighter.”
A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #2 (OF 6)
The fate of the universe rests on an unlikely group of new characters. Discover their stories in A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #2 this August!
BLACK PANTHER #8
CAPTAIN AMERICA EPIC COLLECTION: HERO OR HOAX? TPB NEW PTG
- I'm missing exactly one Marvel Masterworks: Captain America of the ones printed, and it's Vol. 7 — which lines up more or less with this epic collection. I'll go ahead and get it, just to fill the slot, because the MMW on the secondary market costs an extraordinary amount.
- Do I mind that this is a "NEW PTG"? No, I do not: They're all reprints. That's why I'm baffled at how much MMW back issues cost. Dudes, why charge hundreds of dollars for a reprint? If someone's willing to spend that kind of money, they could buy the original comic books! Or drop $100 for a Marvel Unlimited subscription, and read the books (and thousands of others) for a year! Maybe I'm the outlier, but I see no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a reprint.
CAPTAIN AMERICA EPIC COLLECTION: STURM UND DRANG TPB
CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #3
CAPTAIN CARTER #5 (OF 5)
GHOST RIDER: VENGEANCE FOREVER #1
CELEBRATING FIFTY YEARS OF VENGEANCE!
Johnny Blaze, still reeling from his time in Hayden's Falls, seeks the counsel of a seer — named Necro the Tattooist — who uses his needle to bring dark truths to the surface. What follows is not only a wild tour through Ghost Rider's lost history, but also a warning about the future and an examination of the troubling weight of legacy.
- I have to say: That's a terrific cover. Ghost Rider may never have had a compelling narrative, but he's always lent himself to fantastic visuals.
- Here's a preview.
GIANT-SIZE GWEN STACY #1
Written by Christos Gage and drawn by Todd Nauck, Gwen Stacy’s first ever solo series launched in 2019 and presented a thrilling never-before-told Silver Age mystery that saw a pre-Spider-Man Gwen go up against villains like Green Goblin and Kingpin. A hit with readers, the series was sadly left unfinished … until now! Coming in August is GIANT-SIZE GWEN STACY #1, an epic one-shot reprinting the first two issues and, for the first time ever, collecting the final three issues! As fabulous, fierce and smart as Gwen herself, GIANT-SIZE GWEN STACY is an extraordinary saga worthy of Marvel’s “It Girl.”
Gwen and Peter may not have met until AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #31, but that doesn't mean Gwen's life began on that page. Meet Gwen Stacy, beauty queen of Standard High, sure, but so much more. Science whiz Gwen Stacy (you don't think she landed in Peter's advanced science classes at ESU because of her good looks, did you?) has an indomitable spirit that, much to her police Captain dad's chagrin, gets her into serious trouble a lot! This in-continuity story will see Gwen tackle a Marvel Universe-spanning conspiracy that has her cross paths with dangerous Marvel villains and team-up with the original X-Men!
“Working on the GWEN STACY miniseries with the brilliant Todd Nauck and Rachelle Rosenberg was a huge thrill, as I got to play in the timeline of the original Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man stories — but BEFORE Gwen ever met Peter Parker — revealing untold tales about folks like Gwen, Green Goblin and Captain George Stacy,” Gage explained. “Unfortunately, COVID put the series on hold after just two issues. And it's been a while, but ... Gwen is back! And I couldn't be happier! The icing on the cake is that for the first time I get to see my name on a GIANT-SIZE title ... a nice thick volume containing ALL 5 issues! Ever since I was a kid, Marvel's Giant-Size books have held a special place in my heart, so I couldn't think of a better, more exciting way for Gwen to return. I thank everyone who's waited so long, kept asking about the book and retained their enthusiasm for it ... I hope you find it worth the wait!”
“I am so excited to see our complete Gwen Stacy story is coming to the fans!” Nauck said. “I had so much fun drawing this series and working with Christos, Nick Lowe, Lindsey Cohick, Ralph Macchio and Rachelle Rosenberg! I really enjoyed brainstorming and working in aspects of the Marvel Universe of that era around Gwen and her story. Wait till fans see issue #4!
- How big do you think she'll get?
- Here's a preview.
JANE FOSTER MIGHTY THOR #3 (OF 5)
LAST ANNIHILATION TPB
MMW DAREDEVIL VOL 16 HC
MS. MARVEL & WOLVERINE #1
Starting in July, Ms. Marvel will discover a new Marvel Universe-spanning mystery and she’ll need to have some unexpected team-ups in order to defeat it! Wolverine, Moon Knight and Venom will fight alongside Kamala Khan in a series of oversized one-shots by writer Jody Houser. Kicking off with MS. MARVEL & WOLVERINE #1 where Houser will be joined by artist Zé Carlos, these three issues will deliver an overarching epic that will see Ms. Marvel shine in battle next to Marvel’s most iconic and toughest heroes. The adventures will also be a perfect jumping on point for newcomers to the saga of Ms. Marvel as it lays the groundwork for her exciting next era!
When a mysterious threat lands in New York City, Ms. Marvel takes matters into her own embiggened hands! But with Krakoan security/tech compromised, you can bet Wolverine and the X-Men won’t be far behind! The best there is at what he does teams up with one of the Marvel Universe’s most lauded heroes in an action-packed adventure for the ages!
"I'm thrilled to be back playing in the Marvel super hero sandbox, especially with a character at vital as Ms. Marvel,” Houser said. “Teaming her up with some of the darker heroes of the 616 shows just how bright her light really is."
“Ms. Marvel is such a powerful and versatile member of the MU, and putting her in a huge scale adventure shoulder to shoulder with harder-edged heroes like Venom, Moon Knight, and Wolverine, is going to maybe surprise some readers with her range,” Editor Mark Basso said. “If you missed her earlier adventures, know this: Kamala Khan is a super hero. Full stop. And when you get her in the mix with a crew like this, you know something BIG is going down.”
- So, are we to draw any conclusions from Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl both having team-up miniseries instead of solo ongoing series? Or is it just coincidence?
- Here's a preview.
HUNT. KILL. REPEAT.
This July 6, the remorseless alien killer known as the Predator embarks on a new hunt! Marvel Comics is proud to bring readers thrilling new stories starring this lethal terror in a brand-new comic series. Written by Ed Brisson (Iron Fist, Ghost Rider) and artist Kev Walker (Dr. Strange, Doctor Aphra), PREDATOR will deliver all the explosive action and relentless horror that fans have come to expect from this pop culture icon.
The story kicks off when a young girl sees her family slaughtered by a Predator. Years later, though her ship is barely holding together and food is running short, Theta won’t stop stalking the spaceways until the Yautja monster who killed her family is dead … or she is.
“I've been obsessed with Predator since first seeing the film at the drive-in theater as a kid. I can still remember sitting there in horrified fascination and then acting out the movie for my classmates the following week at school. I bought the VHS and wore the hell out of the tape. Getting to write the characters launch for Marvel is a dream come true. When they offered me the gig, I already had a million ideas ready to go,” Brisson said. “Not only am I excited to write a Predator book, but I'm doubly excited to be working with Kev Walker on the series. The pages he's turned in so far and mind-blowing. He's delivered awe-inspiring alien planets; huge, blood-pumping action scenes: and devastatingly emotional beats all in the space of the first issue. I really think we're making something quite special here.”
SHANG-CHI BY GENE LUEN YANG VOL 3: FAMILY OF ORIGIN TPB
SILVER SURFER REBIRTH TPB
STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #26
STAR WARS: HAN SOLO & CHEWBACCA #5
STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: CLONE WARS VOL 4 TPB
VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #5
X-MEN LEGENDS #1
X-MEN LEGENDS, the series where X-Men’s most celebrated creators return with new, in-continuity stories set during their classic runs, is back this May with an all-new #1! Coming on board to launch this extraordinary new era of the series will be industry pioneer Roy Thomas. The writer behind some of the X-Men’s most memorable Silver Age adventures will pen a new story set after his final issue and before GIANT-SIZE X-MEN. Teaming up with artist Dave Wachter, Thomas will revisit the early publication days of one his greatest co-creations — WOLVERINE!
Having redefined the merry mutants in two seminal runs on the book, Roy Thomas, at long last, returns to the saga of the X-Men! For the first time, readers will get new insight into Wolverine's government missions before his recruitment by Professor X (including unrevealed details on his battle with the Green Goliath in the iconic HULK #181-182). This untold episode will also star Beast and a host of missing mutants, and reveal the secret behind Wolverine's costume!
“You could've knocked me over with one of the Angel's wing-feathers when editor Mark Basso invited me to scribe a two-part X-MEN LEGENDS story set back in the general period of the X-MEN book during the period when I was originally writing it (as Stan's successor) in the latter 1960s,” Thomas said. “After some thought, it occurred to me that what would really be fun would be to write a story that took place right after the crashing of Wolverine into the Marvel Universe in 1974 — since, after conceiving the character in broad outline (and some specifics), I turned him over to the considerable writing skills of Len Wein, but have long kinda wished that I had scripted that story myself. This is the closest I'm gonna get — so I'm having a ball with it! (Artwork's pretty great, too!)”
Face front, True Believers! Get ready for an all-new volume of X-MEN LEGENDS with legendary creators and stories covering the length and breadth of X-Men history from the early eras to fan-favorite latter day sagas!
- I got the first series and still haven't finished reading it. That tells me I don't need the second one. Even if that means there are some parts of X-Men history I won't know. (Sob!)
- Here's a preview.
- Titan Comics is having a big week, enough to give the future publisher of Conan its own category.
BLADE RUNNER: BLACK LOTUS #1
Set after the events of the Blade Runner: Black Lotus anime series!
Elle, aka Black Lotus, hoped she could leave behind her violent past and find a new life. But is that possible in a world where replicants are still hunted and feared?
Expanding the world of Blade Runner with a new type of replicant!
- I didn't watch Black Lotus, but maybe you did.
FRANK LEE AFTER ALCATRAZ HC
- The assumption is that Frank died trying to escape. This is a “what if he didn’t” sort of thing.
MICHAEL MOORCOCK LIBRARY: ELRIC — BANE OF THE BLACK SWORD HC
- It took me a while to figure out I was buying two Elric series adapting the same material, since they were both being published by Titan. I kept buying — and completed — the one written by Roy Thomas (and illustrated mostly by P. Craig Russell and Michael T. Gilbert), and dropped this series,.
- Mostly that's because I didn't care for the art in the Titan series. But it's probably also a little bit that I have most or all of the Roy Thomas adaptations in comic book form. It was more familiar.
MINIONS: SUPER BANANA GAMES TP VOL 02
NEGALYOD GOD NETWORK HC
In a post-apocalyptic far future/alternate world, dinosaurs roam the desolate land, while the last denizens of humanity survive together in technological cities run by a military regime. Winner of the revered Saint-Michel Prize for writing!
"Dinotopia meets Mad Max in this extraordinary saga of futuristic human survival on a scorched Earth" — SciFi Wire
- Future dystopias don’t usually have dinosaurs, so points for originality.
OFFICIAL HORIZON ZERO DAWN COLORING BOOK SC
RIVERS OF LONDON: DEADLY EVER AFTER #3
STAR TREK GENESIS ANNIVERSARY HC
ARCHER & ARMSTRONG: FOREVER #4
- Hey, look! An homage to Frank Frazetta’s “Silver Warriors” painting!
ARCHIE & FRIENDS THRILLS AND CHILLS #1
Story: Various, J. Torres | Art: Various, Rex Lindsey | Cover: Dan Parent | Archie | $2.99
A BRAND NEW STORY kicks off this collection of tales thrill rides, exciting adventures, and odd occurrences! In "Return to Mirrordale," a house of mirrors on the Riverdale boardwalk piques everyone's interest. When no one listens to Archie's advice to avoid this familiar haunt, Betty, Veronica, and Reggie all go in to encounter obnoxious and opposite versions of themselves! Will they be able to escape as themselves, or will their bizarro mirror-world versions take over?
- I read this on a lark, and while there were never any LOL lines (as there sometimes are in Archie Comics), I found it mildly amusing.
- I genuinely appreciate that Archie is branching out so much form its former core material. Horror, even of this sort of watered-down sort, really seems to suit the brand. And Archie remains the only publisher maintaining a $2.99 price point.
- Don't get me wrong. I loved Archie Comics in the '60s and '70s. But I grew out of them — and so did, I think, the world. It's not just that Bob Montana, Samm Schwartz and Dan DeCarlo aren't with us any more, it's that the whole era is gone — and so is what was funny at that time. The 1940s-1970s sort of innocent teen humor doesn't really work any more, because teens aren't that innocent any more. When I was 12 I ate up Archies looking for clues as to what high school might be like, but today's 12-year-olds know a lot more than I did, and probably view Archies as lame kid stuff. Today's teen experience is more Euphoria than Riverdale. Or maybe more Riverdale than Riverdale.
- That's my theory, anyway.
- P.S. It turned out high school was nothing like Archie Comics.
- Here's a preview.
ASTRONAUT DOWN #3
BILL & TED ROLL DICE #3
BLIND ALLEY #4 (OF 5)
CITIES OF MAGICK #4
COVER THE DEAD WITH LIME #1
The Great Plague ravishes England, killing thousands in its first year. Housebound infected homes are marked with a painted red cross, warning of the spread as plague doktors are sent into towns to face the impending doom.
- I’ve always loved the plague doctors’ masks from this era. The masks weren't supposed to make them look like supervillains, a concept that didn't yet exist, but they look like that to me. I always suspect they're up to some bird-themed larceny.
- I don’t know why doctors is spelled “doktors” in the blurb. But it might be historically accurate, so I left it alone.
- Off topic: Don’t the cops have dogs now that sniff for lime specifically to find buried murder victims? Asking for a friend.
- No, seriously, I have this recurring dream where I have actually killed someone and buried the body, and even though it’s years later the cops are nosing around, and some of my confederates are starting to get shaky. I wake up terrified that I’m going to be arrested at any minute for something I really am guilty of, so when the cops piece it together it'll fit me like a glove. Then I realize with relief that in the real world, I haven’t killed anyone.
- That I remember.
DARK BEACH #5 (OF 6)
GRIMM UNIVERSE QUARTERLY: SLEEPING BEAUTY
McCANDLESS & COMPANY CRIME SCENES ONE-SHOT
Carey McCandless and Jessica Williams are private detectives from two very different walks of life. Each has her own strengths and weaknesses, habits, opinions, convictions, foibles, virtues, and vices. They're also best friends. If they can't make it together, it would be a crime. In fact, it probably will be anyway. McCandless & Company: Insecurities is a series of snap shots of the earliest days of their partnership, with art by Gene Gonzales, Harry Roland, Ben Dale and Chris Chua, with pin-ups by Matt Busch, Billy Tucci, Michael Avon Oeming, Robert Hack, and others. Cover by Matt Busch.
- These must be ongoing characters at American Mythology with which I am not familiar. Nice cover, tho.
PARKER GIRLS #1
When Annie Graham's lifeless body washes up Venice beach, the nation mourns the loss of a popular actress. Police suspect her death was no accident but Graham's husband-billionaire Zachary Lot — has the best lawyers money can buy and the investigation stalls. That's when Tambi Baker decides to take matters into her own hands and enlist three of her finest Parker Girl operatives to bring the Lot Empire down, one shocking scandal at a time.
- Here's a spinoff for fans of Strangers in Paradise. Is that Katchoo on the cover? Is that tattoo significant?
- Here's a preview.
REVENGE OF THE HORRORHOUND ONE-SHOT
RICK & MORTY ONI 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION #1
SAMURAI DOGGY #1
SEASON OF THE BRUJA #5
SPACE LADY #2
THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH PATRICK TODD #2
TIGER'S TONGUE #2
USHER OF THE DEAD: GREAT QUESTION #1
- Some sort of pandemic/Brexit dam must have burst this week at Cinebook, a UK publisher. The covers always look so interesting, but I’ve never read one.
BEREZINA VOL 1 GN
- Real history! Adapted from The Retreat, a book about Napoleon’s retreat from Moscow in 1812.
FORTUNE OF WINCZLAVS VOL 1: VANKO 1848 GN
- Faux history! Takes place in the mid-1800s, as a man from Ottoman-occupied Montenegro and a woman from Bulgarian-occupied Bulgaria flee to New York, marry and form a dynasty.
MAN WHO SHOT LUCKY LUKE GN
- There's always a lot of Lucky Luke at Cinebook.
MEMORIES FROM THE CIVIL WAR VOL 2 GN
- Not the U.S. Civil War. Set in a dystopic future.
NOTTINGHAM VOL 1: KING’S RANSOM GN
- Not the Vault version. More authentic to the English legend, I imagine.
THORGAL VOL 23: THOR’S SHIELD GN
- Not our Thorgal. This one’s a Viking.
TRENT VOL 7: MISS HELEN GN
- Not sure when this is set, but Trent is a Canadian Mountie on horseback. The series bills itself as “an authentic Western … up north,” so maybe we're talking late 1800s.
WANTED: LUCKY LUKE GN
ALICE ON THE RUN: ONE CHILD'S JOURNEY THROUGH RWANDAN CIVIL WAR TP
The true odyssey of a young child, Alice Cyuzuzo, as she traverses the deadly roads of Zaire to seek refuge during the aftermath of the civil war that has struck her native Rwanda.
Gitarama, the Southern Province of Rwanda, 1994. Five-year-old Alice enjoys a peaceful childhood with her parents and little sisters, but life as she knows it is about to change forever as the genocide of the Tutsis erupts, forcing her to flee her village with her family. Alice on the Run delivers a singular testimony, capturing with painful emotion a relentless world as seen through the eyes of an innocent child.
- I’ve read a couple of other books of this nature, and they always leave me horrified and depressed. They also have destroyed any suspension of disbelief I might have retained in jungle characters like The Phantom.
BIBLE 2 VOL 1: HAIL TO THE KING OF THE JEWS TP
Jesus Christ is back and He's not Cruci-F**kin' around in the OFFICIAL sequel two-thousand years in the making! When He's not giving mass, He's kicking ass, putting the sin back into synagogue. Hail to the King of the Jews, Baby!
- This is being played for laughs, with the Prince of Peace acting in complete contradiction to his character as defined by the Bible. But don't tell Christian Dominionists, who will like take this book as prophecy.
“But when Jake joins a mysterious fraternity, Wyatt unearths something sinister.”
- Wait, that’s all fraternities, isn’t it?
RADIUM GIRLS GN
It’s 1918 in Orange, New Jersey, and everyone knows the “Ghost Girls.”
The proud holders of well-paying jobs at the local watch factory, these working-class young women gain their nickname from the fine dusting of glowing, radioactive powder that clings to their clothes after every shift painting watch dials. The soft, greenish glow even stains their lips and tongues, which they use to point the fine brushes used in their work. It’s perfectly harmless ... or so claims the watch manufacturer.
When teeth start falling out, followed by jawbones, the dial painters become the unprepared vanguard on the frontlines of the burgeoning workers’ rights movement. Desperate for compensation and acknowledgement from the company that has doomed them, the Ghost Girls must fight, not just for their own lives but the future of every woman to follow them.
A stunning graphic novel retelling of the shocking and inspiring true story.
Cyrielle Evrard, publishing under the nom de plume Cy, was born in 1990. She studied at the École de Condé Paris, where she did a higher cycle of illustration after a BTS Visual Communication. Her previous work includes The True Sex of Real Life, volumes 1 and 2.
PRAISE FOR CY AND RADIUM GIRLS
“If she didn't want to make a didactic album, Cy achieves her goal by doing justice to Mollie and her friends with a strong and heartbreaking book. Despite the lurking death, this album is much more alive than one might think.” — COMIXTRIP
“This album shines with its graphic inventiveness and exudes a tremendous joie de vivre, despite its painful epilogue.” — CASES D'HISTOIRE
“This award aims to highlight the talent and sensitivity of comic book authors who have not yet published much... The winning album, Radium Girls, seduced us with its inventive aesthetic, its narrative mastered from start to finish and the strength of its purpose. It's moving, it's poetic and political, it's Cy. Looking forward to seeing what thye have in store for us in the years to come! " — Séverine Vidal, president of the jury, BD Lectors.com Prize
- Another really sad true-history story, brought to us by comic books.
TALES OF GREAT GODDESSES: GAIA, GODDESS OF THE EARTH GN
TINY ACTS OF VIOLENCE GN
East Berlin 1968: a city recovering from the horrors of World War II and where the state police, the Stasi, cultivate a climate of paranoia and fear. In a place where your closest friend or family member could be a state informer, the threat of violence is ever present and no one knows this more than damaged school teacher Sebastian Metzger. But something evil and ancient is stalking Metzger from the shadows of war-torn buildings-something which threatens the city and perhaps even the future of humanity itself.
- Another true-history story, possibly sad. Definitely very John le Carré.
ALLEY OOP IN SAWALLA VOL 4
The complete year of 1936 daily Alley Oop strips, all newly scanned and cleaned from newspaper pages. Alley Oop discovers the World Ocean, and the land of Sawalla.
- I assume some Legionnaires are collecting this series.
BEASTS OF THE BLOOD-STAINED JACKBOOT SC (MR) $24.95
Beasts of the Blood-Stained Jackboot is a special edition in the popular Pulp Mayhem series that showcases one of the most vivid strands of illustrated pulp, dedicated to tales of Nazi marauders during World War 2. The 22 stories included here portray Nazis as evil torturers and killers, whose victims were almost invariably scantily-clad, large-breasted female captives. It should be noted that rescuers, and sometimes the victims themselves, nearly always prevail against the threat of these vile monsters of war, who are never glorified but always shown as despicable and sadistic criminals.
- My brother would occasionally buy these “men’s magazines,” or maybe he stole them from my Dad, but somehow or other I’d stumble across them in my pre-adolescent years. I think they were already disappearing at the time, because they were gone by the time I was old enough to buy them.
- They didn’t always have Nazis, of course, but the covers always featured mostly naked women in peril from something it would take a manly man to save them from, who (from the stories I read, but didn’t understand) would be rewarded with sex. I guess Playboy and Penthouse killed these sorts of magazines, since they would have photos of actual naked women, instead of paintings of mostly naked women. Plus, the stories about sex in those magazines didn’t require the reader to imagine himself in mortal peril to acquire it. But those covers on sweaty men’s mag covers were awesome, in a pulpy, peek-a-boo sort of way that touched on some murky, vaguely shameful, male-lizard-brain urges. I kinda miss 'em.
- Also, I want to note that when I was growing up, the Nazis were definitely the baddies wherever they appeared in pop culture. It astonished me when actual neo-Nazis came out from under their rocks in America and showed up on my TV. But I came to realize that they must have grown up reading different things than I did. Plus, if they had shown up earlier, like in the ‘50s or ‘60s, my Dad and all the other WWII vets would have beat the living $#!t out of them.
BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #306
IN HIS OWN IMAGE TP
JODOROWSKY LIBRARY SELECTED SHORT STORIES HC
- I’m collecting the Jodorowsky Library, although the books immediately sink to the bottom of the Wall of Shame. (I expect Jodorowsky is going to be a heavy, time-consuming read, so I always grab something lighter.) I tell myself I’m getting the series to read in retirement.
MANIAC OF NEW YORK VOL 2: BRONX IS BURNING TP
NO HOLDS BARD VOL 1 TP
THREE STOOGES TP VOL 2 W/PROMO CARD
UNCANNY X-MEN TRADING CARDS: THE COMPLETE SERIES HC
In 1992, Marvel Entertainment commissioned Jim Lee, the superstar penciller behind X-Men (1991) no. 1, the bestselling single-issue comic book of all time, to create all of the art for a new set of 105 trading cards-a set that would go on to become one of the most celebrated in Marvel history and the gold standard for non-sports trading-card artwork and design. Fans of the chart-topping comics could turn to the cards for further insight into their favorite characters, as Marvel writers and editors included bios, stats, and trivia for each hero and villain. The Uncanny X-Men Trading Cards: The Complete Series collects, for the first time, the front and back of each collectible card in the set along with select scans of Lee's original and digitally remastered art. It also includes an introduction by and original interviews conducted by writer and set editor Bob Budiansky, with the Marvel staff who helped assemble, design, and create these iconic trading cards.
- I guess if you failed to buy the cards, you can at least buy the book and look at the pretty pictures.
WORLD RECORD HOLDERS TP
APPLE BLACK VOL 1: NEO FREEDOM GN
BLACKGUARD VOL 3 GN
DUKE OF DEATH & HIS MAID VOL 2 GN
FLY ME TO THE MOON VOL 12 GN
FROZEN 2 GN
HAUNTED BOOKSTORE: GATEWAY TO A PARALLEL UNIVERSE VOL 2 GN
HIGH SCHOOL PRODIGIES HAVE IT EASY IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 12 GN
ICEBLADE SORCERER SHALL RULE WORLD VOL 1 GN
IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY SMARTPHONE VOL 6 GN
KAZE HIKARU VOL 30 GN
KNIGHT OF ICE VOL 11 GN
KOMI CAN’T COMMUNICATE VOL 20 GN
KOWLOON GENERIC ROMANCE VOL 1 GN
MY NEXT LIFE AS A VILLAINESS VOL 7 GN
OBLIVION ROUGE HAKKINEN GN
ONE PIECE 3-IN-1 VOL 32 TP
PHANTOM TALES OF THE NIGHT VOL 9 GN
POKEMON: SWORD & SHIELD VOL 4 GN
RADIANT VOL 15 GN
RETURNERS MAGIC SHOULD BE SPECIAL VOL 1 GN
ROYAL TUTOR GN VOL 17
SAIGAMI VOL 1: RE BIRTH BY FLAME GN
SAKAMOTO DAYS VOL 3 GN
SAKURAI SAN WANTS TO BE NOTICED GN
SENSEI’S PIOUS LIE VOL 3 GN
SPLATOON SQUID KIDS COMEDY SHOW VOL 6 GN
SUMMERTIME RENDERING VOL 4 (OF 6) TP
TALES OF THE KINGDOM VOL 1 GN
THERAPY GAME RESTART VOL 2 GN
TOPPU GP VOL 9 GN
TUNNEL TO SUMMER EXIT OF GOODBYES ULTRAMARINE VOL 1 GN
UNCLE FROM ANOTHER WORLD VOL 5 GN
WORLD END SOLTE VOL 1 GN
WORLD’S END HAREM FANTASIA VOL 7 GN
YO-KAI WATCH VOL 19 GN
BENEATH THE TREES VOL 4: FIRST SPRING HC
FGTEEV SAVES THE WORLD GN
GERONIMO STILTON REPORTER VOL 11: INTRIGUE RODENT EXPRESS GN
GHOUL AGENCY TP
HAMMER VOL 1: OCEAN KINGDOM GN
SUPER TURBO GN BOXED SET 2