MIGHTY MORPHIN #16

SEVEN SECRETS #14

A SPARK WITHIN THE FORGE, AN EMBER IN THE ASHES VOL 2 HC OGN

WYND BOOK 2: SECRET OF THE WINGS HC

DARK HORSE COMICS

APACHE DELIVERY SERVICE #2 (OF 4)

CHILDREN OF THE WOODS TPB

Story: Joe Ciano | Art/Cover: Josh Hixson | $19.99

Monsters aren’t born. They’re made right in front of your eyes. From the minds of Joe Ciano and Joshua Hixson comes Children of the Woods, a horror mystery that will explore the monster within and what is left when that monster finally comes out.     

After a tale of revenge leads to a monstrous outcome, Amber and Quinn pay the price for power and magic as they become the newest children of the Black Woods. As Amber becomes intertwined with the secrets of woods and the town they live in, Quinn learns he is not alone in the woods. And not all who reside there are welcoming.

Children of the Woods is about the drive that makes people become monsters, whether it’s sparked through tragedy, anger, or just one’s own curiosity,” Ciano said. “This book is supported by an amazing coloring and lettering team with Roman Stevens and Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou. We’re thrilled that Children of the Woods has found a home at Dark Horse. Josh and I always had Dark Horse in mind when we first started development on the book, so this is really special.”

Agreeing with Ciano, Hixson added, “When Joe and I first started on Children of The Woods several years ago, we had always hoped to eventually take it to Dark Horse, and I couldn’t be more excited to make that a reality.

“Our story is about these characters who have lost themselves in the lore of the Black Woods and seeing who they become on the other side, if they ever really make it out at all.”

CREMA TPB

Story: Johnnie Christmas | Art: Dante Luiz | Cover: Johnnie Christmas, Dante Luiz | Comixology Original | Dark Horse | Age Range: 16 | $19.99

#1 New York Times bestselling cartoonist Johnnie Christmas and Prism Award-nominee Dante Luiz bring you a haunted tale of love, ghosts, and coffee beans.

Esme, a barista, feels invisible, like a ghost ... also, when Esme drinks too much coffee she actually sees ghosts. Yara, the elegant heir to a coffee plantation, is always seen, but only has eyes for Esme. Their world is turned upside down when the strange ghost of an old-world nobleman begs Esme to take his letter from New York City to a haunted coffee farm in Brazil, to reunite him with his lost love of a century ago. Bringing sinister tidings of unrequited love.

Collects the ComiXology original digital graohic novel Crema in print for the first time.

"This book is a love letter to love swathed in the richest flavor imaginable. And one that enchants and haunts you with the taste of coffee all around it."  — Comic Watch
Creators

CRITICAL ROLE: MIGHTY NEIN ORIGINS — CALEB WIDOGAST HC

Story: Jody Houser | Art/Cover: Selina Espiritu | 56 pages | $17.99

A fire can keep you warm ... or it can consume you. 

When Bren Aldric Ermendrud was chosen to attend the Soltryce Academy, everyone knew he would have an important future in service to the Empire. But nobody –– least of all Bren himself –– could foresee the cruelty he would endure, and the ways in which it would break and remake him. Witness the events that transform Bren into the Mighty Nein’s Caleb Widogast, and how they inform the path he’ll take in the future.

Critical Role: Vox Machina Origins writer Jody Houser joins fan-favorite artist Selina Espiritu, Game Master Matthew Mercer, and cast member Liam O’Brian to reveal Caleb’s troubled past in this all-new hardcover graphic novel! Fans of Critical Role won’t want to miss this newest edition to their Mighty Nein library!

CRITICAL ROLE VOX MACHINA ORIGINS III #5 (OF 6)

DAISY #3 (OF 5)

HELLBOY & BPRD 1957 FORGOTTEN LIVES ONE-SHOT

HOUSE OF LOST HORIZONS SARAH JEWELL MYSTERY HC

HYPER SCAPE TPB

Story: Christofer Emgard | Art/Cover: Gabriel Guzman | $19.99

Dark Horse Books, working closely with Ubisoft®, expands the innovative battle royale game, Hyper Scape®, in this story written by Christofer Emgård (Tom Clancy’s® The Division: Extremis Malis, The Dark) with art by Gabriel Guzman (Mass Effect: Discovery, Starcraft: Scavengers) and colors by Michael Atiyeh (Assassin’s Creed®: Song of Glory, The Orville) now collected in full in paperback format!     

Hyper Scape collects a series of six two-part digital comics and covers created in close collaboration with Ubisoft. Digital single issue comics of this series are already available through Dark Horse’s digital comics platforms and the Hyperscape official site, with more currently in production and slated for release in the future.

The year is 2054. The world has turned darker over the last three decades, making for a hard day-to-day existence. People have found solace in the HYPER SCAPE — a virtual landscape run by the world’s most powerful megacorp, Prisma Dimensions, where recreation, entertainment, and social gatherings are accessed in the blink of an eye. An upgrade to the system is about to be unveiled, revolutionizing the experience ... but an early rollout could have fatal results. When faced with glitches in the system, suspicious behavior of Prisma staff, and a mysterious death that reeks of a cover up, HYPER SCAPE players who seek the truth will have to search for it within the virtual simulation.

JENNY ZERO TPB

LAST FLIGHT OUT #4

MADMAN LIBRARY EDITION VOL 2 HC

• I didn't know there was enough Madman for two Library Editions. I mean, I did read it occasionally back in the day, pulled in by my affection for Michael Allred's retro art. But I didn't know that this much got published, because I wasn't a regular reader. Still, I got the first one, so I guess I gotta get the second one.

MALIKA: WARRIOR QUEEN VOL 2 TPB

NO ONE LEFT TO FIGHT II #5

NORSE MYTHOLOGY III #1

Faithfully Adapted, Scripted, and Laid Out by P. Craig. Russell

Award-winning and #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman and Eisner Award–winning comics legend P. Craig Russell finish their comics adaptation of the Neil Gaiman novel, Norse Mythology, with a stunning third and final series!

This final arc will see artists Colleen Doran, the artist and co-creator behind the Eisner Award and Bram Stoker Award-winning graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Snow, Glass, Apples; P. Craig Russell (American Gods, The Sandman), and Galen Showman (Hellboy: Weird Tales, The Graveyard Book) tackle some of the most iconic stories in Norse Mythology.    

First up is a story illustrated by the incomparable David Rubín (Ether, Cosmic Detective), the first issue in this third series sees the sea giant Aegir as he avoids having to throw a banquet for the gods by setting Thor and Tyr off on a wild quest to find a cauldron and pitting our heroes against a multiheaded giantess, fire-breathing sea serpents and more bizarre mythological creatures.

• I think I mentioned previously that I was a bit disappointed in the print version of this, as it read like "Elder Eddas for Young Readers." But these adaptations are just magnificent. The second collection isn't out yet, and I can't wait.

RANGERS OF THE DIVIDE TPB

DC COMICS

BATGIRLS #3

BATMAN & SCOOBY DOO MYSTERIES #11

BATMAN VOL 2: JOKER WAR TPB

BATMAN/CATWOMAN #10 (OF 12)

BATMAN IN DETECTIVE COMICS VOL 1: NEIGHBORHOOD HC

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #12

BLACK MANTA #6 (OF 6)

DETECTIVE COMICS #1052

FLINTSTONES THE DELUXE EDITION HC

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #10

HARLEY QUINN THE ANIMATED SERIES: EAT, BANG, KILL TOUR #6 (OF 6)

I AM BATMAN #6

No one, including Batman and his allies, have escaped the last year without some battle scars, and Jace Fox and his family are no exception. The fallout from the Fear State attack on Gotham City forces Jace and his family to leave Gotham and Lucius & Luke Fox for a new home base. Beginning with issue #6 of Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years A Slave, The Other History of the DC Universe, The American Way)’s I Am Batman, the series shifts permanently to New York.

I Am Batman #6 marks the first time an ongoing Batman title will be based in New York City since issue #47 of Detective Comics in January 1941. Gotham City makes its official debut in the DC Universe later that same year, in Batman #4 and Detective Comics #48.

“I’m incredibly excited about charting this new direction for Jace and the Fox family,” said Ridley. “This new setting is a great opportunity to do some really creative world building and give Jace his own allies, adversaries, and challenges that will continue to shape and define him as his own character under the cape and cowl.”

From his first appearance in DC’s Future State event, to developing his history and mission in The Next Batman: Second Son, to joining Batman and his allies in defeating The Scarecrow and The Magistrate in Fear State, Jace Fox has become a rich addition to the Bat-family at the hands of Ridley.

I Am Batman #6 (“Empire State of Mind”) features art by Ken Lashley, colors by Rex Lokus and letters by Troy Peteri. The book features a main cover by Olivier Coipel and Alex Sinclair, with a primary variant by Francesco Mattina. Fans can also pre-order the book with a special 1:25 ratio variant cover by Khary Randolph and Emilio Lopez, as well as a special Black History Month variant cover by Alexis Franklin. Be sure to check your local comic book store for details and availability.

To see exactly what drives Jace and his family to move to New York, make sure to also check out I Am Batman #5, available in stores and on participating digital platforms on Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2022.

• So the original Batman will stay in Gotham, and the new Batman will move to New York. That's really not a bad solution; both can pretend to be the "real" Batman, as long as they are within the pages of their respective books. The conceit will fall apart, though, when inevitably All-New, All-Different takes the place of Original Flavor in Justice League for whatever length of time.
  • *Shrug.* Worked for John Stewart. I'll keep an open mind.

JOKER #12

JUSTICE LEAGUE 2021 ANNUAL #1

JUSTICE LEAGUE BY SCOTT SNYDER DELUXE EDITION BOOK 3 HC

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES VOL 2: BEFORE THE DARKNESS HC

• I didn't figure it out right away, but now I have: This "Before the Darkness" series of LSH reprints (starting over at "volume one," as if the decades of prior stories and prior reprint series somehow don't count) continue directly from the last Archives, and the last omnibus, which apparently both ended at the same time. Now, this is the reprint series carrying the narrative forward into the famous "The Great Darkness Saga," which was in fact a good story, and I have no problem with DC marketing the stories between the last omnibus and the upcoming "Darkness" reprint as prequels of a sort. Which they vaguely were, given Paul Levitz's writing philosophy (the ABC approach), which guarantees build-up for every story that eventually becomes the "A" story. But I hope no newbies out there are expecting a modern type of Big Story that crosses over into a zillion other titles and lasts like a year and a half. If memory serves, "Great Darkness" was self-contained and actually ran only about five or six issues, and then LSH moved on to unrelated stories, on the waves of the ABC writing rhythm.

PENNYWORTH #7

STRANGE LOVE ADVENTURES #1

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Yanick Paquette | $9.99

Written by Rex Ogle, Rich Douek, Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Ram V, Stephanie Phillips, Devin Grayson, and others Art by Geraldo Borges, Christian Duce, Phil Hester, Ande Parks, Jon Sommariva, Roger Robinson, and others Ahhhh! Can you smell that? Love is in the air again, and we’re here to warm your heart and brighten your soul with eight timeless tales of…weird love? Sorry, hold on, I just need to read that again. Yup, that says weird love. Well, all right. Looks like we’ve got stories of a love as old as Jurassic time on Dinosaur Island, a bromance between Peacemaker and his eagle sidekick Eagly, and a first date you never saw coming. Oh wow, these really do sound sweet and heartwarming! So c’mon, let your freak flag fly and get weird this Valentine’s Day with us for Weird Love Tales #1!

• Ah, love. So complicated. Especially when dinosaurs are involved.

SUICIDE SQUAD: BLAZE #1 (OF 3)

Story: Simon Spurrier | Art/Cover: Aaron Campbell | Mature | $6/99

The attacks begin without warning. Brutal, sudden…cannibalistic. A metahuman with all the power of Superman but none of his humanity. An unstoppable being ruled only by hunger and instinct, striking at random across the world. To stop this threat, Harley Quinn, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, and King Shark have been assigned to corral, nursemaid, and if necessary execute five deadly new recruits: the expendable products of a secret government procedure called BLAZE. They’re ordinary prisoners, endowed with incredible power…and the certain knowledge that it’ll burn through them like wildfire. They have six months to live, maximum. If you’re staring down life in prison, maybe that’s a good deal—especially if you’re Michael Van Zandt, desperate to reunite with the mad lover who forsook you after your Bonnie-and-Clyde crime spree. But that power? It’s surprisingly transferable. As each member of the Squad dies…the others get stronger. What would a hardened criminal do with that knowledge? Worse yet: What would a desperate, lovesick idiot do with it? One thing’s certain: this time the Suicide Squad’s bitten off more than it can chew. Win or lose—they all burn. Simon Spurrier and Aaron Campbell, the creative team behind the critically acclaimed John Constantine: Hellblazer, have been turned loose on the one DC title even more horrific and blackhearted than that one! We suggest you brace yourselves…

• I think we're gonna see a lot of Peacemaker in the months and years to come. Whodathunkit?

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #8

TITANS UNITED #6

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DRACULINA #1

EVIL ERNIE #3

JENNIFER BLOOD #5

VAMPIRELLA: VALENTINE’S SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

IDW PUBLISHING

JOHN BUSCEMA’S MARVEL HEROES ARTIST EDITION HC

Story/Art/Cover: John Buscema | $150

Featuring an outstanding sampling of Big John Buscema's classic stories, covers, and interior pages from the mid 1960s to the late '70s, all in the groundbreaking and multi-Eisner Award-winning Artist's Edition format!

Buscema was a true "artist's artist," his stellar anatomy, coupled with dynamic storytelling, made him one of the most revered and respected artists in the Marvel Pantheon. This volume will contain several complete stories (including Avengers and Sub-Mariner), plus incredible examples of art from his runs on Avengers, Fantastic Four, Thor, Sub-Mariner, and more. There will be a gallery section chock full of covers. And, as with all Artist's Editions, all the art in this book has been scanned from Buscema's originals, enabling the

reader to be able to clearly view each page as never before-clearly seeing pencils, editorial notations, ink gradients, more-all the little details and nuances that makes original art unique. Unless you were looking over John Buscema's shoulder in his studio, you'll never have a better opportunity than this to see his artwork as it truly looks!

BONUS: This book will feature several foldouts presenting a number of Buscema's early, larger covers at full size-a true treat for art lovers!

• John Buscema was one of my favorites in the Silver Age, along with John Romita, Neal Adams and sometimes Murphy Anderson and Gil Kane. (Those are the ones that spring to mind today.) No, I'm not going to break my fast on Artist Editions, even for Big John. But I have to say that of all the artists who have been honored with this format, Big John B. is one of the few that I think truly deserves it.

MY LITTLE PONY GENERATIONS #5

RICK & MORTY VS. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

STAR WARS ADVENTURES (2021) #14

TMNT: BEST OF JENNIKA$5.99

IMAGE COMICS

KING OF SPIES #3

MONKEY MEAT #2

PHENOM X #4

PROPHET #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

Celebrate the 30th anniversary of John Prophet with a facsimile edition of Prophet #1 by Rob Liefeld with art by Dan Panoisian in a remastered version, highly collectible form. The Prophet #1 Facsimile Edition will land in stores in February from Image Comics — just in time to mark this milestone in comics history.

Readers new and old will be treated to this re-mastered edition of the story — this is the issue that started it all! The popular John Prophet character first debuted in 1992 in the pages of Youngblood #2, written and drawn by Liefeld. Prophet quickly skyrocketed in popularity and Liefeld teamed with Panoisian to spin the character out into his own series — Prophet — shortly thereafter.

“Prophet is symbolic of the early ’90s Image Comics that fans identify with and love — just as much as anything released during that period — and is a series that electrified a generation of comic fans!” said Liefeld. “Prophet is my best-selling solo hero series by a mile. I’m excited to celebrate Image’s 30th Anniversary by producing both the Prophet #1 Facsimile Edition that replicates the launch issue so a new generation of fans can experience the excitement.”

• I bought the early Image stuff, so it's very likely I read this — and don't remember a thing about it. Is there really demand for an expensive reprint of what I consider an obscure book?

RADIANT BLACK #12

REDNECK #32

SAVAGE DRAGON: VICIOUS CIRCLE TRIUMPHANT TPB

SPAWN: SCORCHED #2

STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PEREZ VOL 2 TPB

TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE VOL 1 TPB

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #88.BEY

AVENGERS #53

AVENGERS BY JASON AARON VOL 2 HC

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: HEART OF DARKNESS TPB

DEVIL’S REIGN #4

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 FACSIMILE EDITION

EXCALIBUR OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

HAWKEYE: KATE BISHOP #4

HELLIONS BY ZEB WELLS VOL 3 TPB

KANG THE CONQUEROR: ONLY MYSELF LEFT TO CONQUER TPB

MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M #1

Story: Peter David | Art: German Peralta, Pasqual Ferry | Cover: Carlos Pacheco | Teen+ | $4.99

THE FINAL CHAPTER OF PETER DAVID'S MAESTRO TRILOGY BEGINS!

A.I.M., the Pantheon and even Doctor Doom have all fallen before the might of the Maestro! Finally, he may now reign over his kingdom with a firm green fist. Except he didn't count on the Abomination rising from the dead and forming an alliance with Namor and Doom! And this dangerous new alliance is ready for war  — WORLD WAR M!

• So, if memory serves, the Maestro stories take place in a future where all the interesting characters are dead? This concept may have outlived its shelf life.

MARVEL-VERSE MOON GIRL GN

MOON KNIGHT #8

NEW MUTANTS #24

SECRET X-MEN #1

Story: Tini Howard | Art: Francesco Mobili | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu

Sunspot. Cannonball. Marrow. Boom-Boom. Tempo. Forge. Banshee. Strong Guy. Armor. Earlier this year, these X-Men characters were choices in the mega popular X-Men Vote! While they ultimately weren’t chosen as the final member of the Krakoan Age’s first team of X-Men, the vote took social media by storm with passionate fans campaigning fiercely for their favorites. And this February, fans can relive the excitement of this pivotal moment in X-Men history by seeing their chosen candidates in action in SECRET X-MEN #1! This special one-shot written by Excalibur and X of Swords scribe Tini Howard and drawn by Daredevil artist Francesco Mobili will bring all nine of these mutant heroes together for a secret mission to the stars!

When the Shi’ar Empire faces an unexpected threat, they must call upon the X-Men. Team co-captains Sunspot and Cannonball will lead Marrow, Tempo, Forge, Banshee, Strong Guy, Armor, and Boom-Boom on a dangerous mission to save a figure of paramount importance — the daughter of Professor X and empress of the Shi’ar: Xandra!

"We had to do it, yeah? And I jumped at the chance to tell the story while I had the time,” Howard said. “Cannonball was my vote, and Strong Guy? Tempo? Boom-Boom? This is the perfect team for an intergalactic X-Men mission. I hope they didn't forget anything important!"

I have mostly enjoyed the First Age of Krakoa, but I confess the "X-election" was something I eagerly ignored, because when I thought about it too hard, I really, really didn't like it.

• What have we got here? Let's see: Sunspot, Cannonball and Boom-Boom are always fun, but they're generally used for comedy relief these days — I'm not surprised they were passed over for the main team. I grew fond of Banshee in the Long-Before Time, although he's basically been replaced by Siryn for years. I voted for Armor for the main team, as her power is pretty useful on both offense and defense, and she has an upbeat personality, so she may be my favorite on this team.
  • I'm not as postive about the rest. Forge fights best in his shop, not in the field. Strong Guy is basically a one-joke pony, and that shaggy dog has gray hair (to mix my metaphors). Tempo's power is too esoteric for my taste (and potentially too powerful). As for Marrow, correct me if I'm wrong: Her power is pulling unnatural growths out of her body and flinging them at people? That's not a super-power, that's a medical issue. (And given her attitude, she shouldn't be on a team of any kind.)

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #20

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC: TRAIL SHADOWS #5

STAR WARS LEGENDS: RISE OF THE SITH OMNIBUS HC

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #2

OTHER PUBLISHERS

2.5 DIMENSIONAL SEDUCTION VOL. 1 GN

Story & Art by: Yu Hashimoto | Translation: Elena Kirillova | Adaptation: David Lumsdon | Lettering: Kai Kyou | Ghost Ship | Older Teen (15+) | 192 pages | $13.99

A hot-blooded romantic cosplay comedy begins when an otaku meets a girl who dresses up as his favorite manga character. This sexy manga series comes recommended by Eiichiro Oda (creator of One Piece)!

“I have no interest in real girls!” So claims Okumura, the president of the school’s manga club. He’s your typical otaku, obsessed with a sexy (fictional) 2D manga character known as Liliel. Then the new school year starts, and a (real!) 3D girl named Lilysa whose passion is cosplay joins the club. Lilysa convinces Okumura to become her photographer — and guess who her favorite manga character is? Not only that, but Lilysa is into modeling the fetishy stuff! The boundaries between 2D and 3D start to blur as this hot-blooded romantic comedy unfolds.

• First issue!

5 SECONDS BEFORE A WITCH FALLS IN LOVE GN

Story/Art: Zeniko Sumiya | Seven Seas | 128 pages | Teen (13+) | $13.99

A magical enemies-to-lovers yuri romcom!

Solitary witch Meg likes to be mischievous and make trouble in the forest for her nemesis, Lilith the Witch Hunter. But when an altercation goes sideways and Meg turns Lilith into a cat, a cascade of unfortunate events means witch is now responsible for saving witch-hunter! Sparks were flying between these antagonistic ladies before — what will their relationship be like after this cat-astrophe?

• First issue!

ACROSS A FIELD OF STARLIGHT GN

ALIAS: BLACK & WHITE #2 (OF 7)

ALICE IN BISHOUNEN LAND VOL 1

ALLEY OOP AND DINNY #1

• First issue!

AQUANAUT GN

ARCADE WORLD CHAPTERBOOK VOL 2: ZOMBIE INVADERS HC

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #327

ARCHIE: LOVE & HEARTBREAK SPECIAL #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Thomas Pitilli, Stephanie Cooke, Sina Grace | Art: Thomas Pitilli, Lisa Sterle, Iolanda Zanfardino | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Covers: Thomas Pitilli, Paulina Ganucheau | Archie | 32 pages | $3.99

Ride down the tunnel of love with the Riverdale gang in ARCHIE: LOVE AND HEARTBREAK SPECIAL #1, arriving February 9, 2022 from Archie Comics. Just in time for Valentine’s Day, the special one-shot follows Archie and his friends during a romantic night out at the Riverdale carnival as romances burn bright, while others fizzle out and some are just getting started.

Cupid has his eye on Riverdale as Archie and his friends find themselves embroiled in the uncertainty of young love. As Archie and Veronica hit a speed bump in their relationship, Jughead explains his unique philosophy on love to Betty, while Kevin finds himself in too deep on a date of his own! As new bonds begin to form, our key characters find themselves relishing in the high-highs and low-lows associated with young love in this rom-com one-shot spearheaded by Archie’s Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante.

The modern-style anthology features a welcomed mix of beloved and unexpected pairings: Veronica and Dilton, Kevin and Devon, and Betty and Jughead. The special one-shot also builds upon the recent KEVIN KELLER CELEBRATION Kickstarter by placing Kevin right in the midst of his own romantic debacle alongside Devon, his boyfriend from the classic Archie comic series. Brought to life by writer/artist Thomas Pitilli, writers Stephanie Cooke and Sina Grace, and artists Lisa Sterle and Iolanda Zanfardino, the all-new romantic one shot is perfect for fans of the modern Archie Comics series.

“Coming off the heels of our 80th anniversary, we wanted to welcome fans of the modern comics back to the romantic core of Riverdale with this special one-shot,” explains Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. “Capturing the ideals of young love, readers get to experience firsthand the ups-and-downs of new relationships and what it means to discover yourself in a way we haven’t seen before in Archie comics. We hope readers see a little bit of themselves in each of these stories.”

Join Archie and his friends on a date night at the Riverdale carnival! First up, Betty wants to know: If Jughead was interested in dating, what would the perfect date look like? Jughead shares his POV on love while Archie and Veronica's relationship is on the rocks! Can Kevin Keller help Archie save his romance? Maybe not, since Kevin’s caught up in his own romantic dilemma, and is worried about being in over his head on his own date! Who will end up together? What relationships are on the verge of collapse? Who will find true love?

• First issue!
  • They're going to have to work quite a bit to convince me that "Bughead" works outside of the TV show.
  • Also, "Kevin's date with Destiny" tells me that Destiny is gay! How has that never been mentioned before? It explains a lot!

BABY SITTERS CLUB COLOR EDITION VOL 11: GOODBYE STACEY GOODBYE GN

BABYTEETH VOL 4 TPB

BILLY THE KIT #5

BLADE RUNNER 2029 #12

Story: Mike Johnson | Art: Andres Guinaldo | Covers: Claudia Caranfa, Syd Mead, VV Glass | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

ASH IS ON THE RUN AGAIN as replicant cult leader Yotun orders his army of fanatical super-human followers to kill her. Will she be able to protect the ones she loves?

BLOOD ON SUNSET #2 (OF 5

BYLINES IN BLOOD #2

CALL OF THE NIGHT VOL 6 GN

CELLS AT WORK BABY VOL 3 GN

CHANGE WORLD VOL 1 GN

COMBATANTS WILL BE DISPATCHED VOL 6 GN

COVER OF DARKNESS #1

CULT OF IKARUS #1 (OF 4)

DAYS ON FES VOL 4 GN

DEAD HAND BOOK STORIES FROM GRAVESEND CEMETERY HC

DEADPOOL SAMURAI 1 GN

• First issue!
  • Starring Marvel's Deadpool, only it's manga and published by Viz. Don't ask me how that works.

DESTINY NY VALENTINE’S DAY SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

DEVIL TREE #3

DIGGER #4

DOCTOR WHO: EMPIRE OF THE WOLF #4

Story: Jody Houser | Art: Roberta Ingranata | Covers: Skylar Patridge, Photo Cover, Pasquale Qualano | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

STORY STARRING THE EIGHT AND ELEVENTH DOCTOR PLUS THE RETURN OF ROSE TYLER!

Trapped in a parallel universe, Rose Tyler believed her adventures with the Doctor were over. Now, pulled by a mysterious energy into this reality, she must work with the Doctors (Matt Smith and Paul McGann) to end the tyrannical rule of the warmongering BAD WOLF EMPRESS!

ERB: LAND THAT TIME FORGOT TPB

FAR OUT CLASSICS FRANK N STAIN

FAR OUT CLASSICS JUGGLE BOOK

FAR OUT CLASSICS PREHISTORIC JOURNEY TO CENTER OF EARTH

FAR OUT CLASSICS WAR OF WORLDS UNICORNS VS. MERMAIDS

FAR OUT FABLES 5 FULL COLOR GN

FLASH GORDON DAILIES VOL 8: RADIUM MINES OF ELECTRA HC

Story: Don Moore | Art: Austin Briggs | Titan Comics | 276 pages | $49.99

FLASH GORDON is science fiction’s most enduring superhero icon, and his name has become synonymous with heroic deeds. Flash Gordon is also the original inspiration behind Star Wars, the muse to rock super group Queen and star of his own cult 1980s movie! This new volume presents the continuing adventures of Flash Gordon, the original guardian of the galaxy as he strives to save us all from a slew of villains hell-bent of domination, destruction, and devilment!

• Uh oh. I think the last one of these I got was Volume 4.

FOURTH MAN #2 (OF 4)

FROM BLOOD #1 (OF 3)

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST FULLMETAL EDITION VOL 16 HC

GENIUS PRINCE RAISING NATION DEBT TREASON NOVEL VOL 8 SC

GODDESS GIRLS VOL 1: ATHENA THE BRAIN GN

• First issue!

GODKILLER SPIDERLAND #2

GOOD BOY #3 (OF 3

HARUKANA RECEIVE VOL 8 GN

HAYATE COMBAT BUTLER VOL 39    GN

HECATE’S WILL #2

HELLO, MELANCHOLIC! VOL. 1 GN

Story & Art by: Yayoi Ohsawa | Seven Seas | Teen (13+) | 172 pages | $13.99

A coming-of-age yuri manga series about playing music and falling in love with abandon!

Asano Minato is a tall but stooping first-year in high school. Though she’s a killer trombone player, she does everything she can to fade into the background. Despite her best efforts, Minato catches the attention of her bubbly and charismatic senpai Hibiki, who wants Minato to join the mysterious band she’s forming at school. And she won’t take no for an answer! Will Minato be able to let go of the past and play in a school band again? Can polar opposites harmonize through music? Slow jam your way into this dulcet yuri series!

• First issue!

HE-MAN & MOTU LEGENDS FROM CASTLE GRAYSKULL GN

HERO LIFE OF SELF PROCLAIMED MEDIOCRE DEMON VOL 2 GN

HEROES IN TRAINING VOL 1: ZEUS & THUNDERBOLT OF DOOM GN

HEROES IN TRAINING VOL 2: POSEIDON & SEA OF FURY GN

HORROR COMICS NIGHTMARE GALLERY ONE-SHOT

• First issue!

HOTELL VOL 2 #3 (OF 5)

HOW DO WE RELATIONSHIP VOL 5 GN

I’M STANDING ON MILLION LIVES VOL 11 GN

IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY SMARTPHONE VOL 4 GN

JUNIOR HIGH HORRORS KARATE KAI #1

• First issue!

KNIGHT JANEK #2 (OF 3)

KOMI CAN’T COMMUNICATE VOL 17 GN

LAND OF LIVING GODS #1

LIFE ZERO #1

MAGICAL HISTORY TOUR VOL 7 GN

MANGO LORIAN #1

• First issue!
  • (Yes, it's a parody.)

MARJORIE FINNEGAN TEMPORAL CRIMINAL TPB

MARRY ME VOL 1 MOVIE TIE-IN TPB

• First issue!
  • I had no idea the J-Lo/Owen Wilson movie was based on comics. Not that a comic book angle would induce me to watch a rom-com (almost nothing would), but it's interesting to know.

MEGA #2

MEMORIES FROM LIMON GN

METAX HC

Antoine Cossé | Fantagraphics | 300 pages | $34.99

A society, greedily dependent on a mysterious natural resource, meets a force indifferent to social or class status in this graphic novel.

In the dystopian city-state of Kronin, the chief engineer is in charge of all mining of Metax — a precious material that has become indispensable to survival because of its extraordinary qualities. Meanwhile, a police officer investigates the mysterious killing of royal horses, suspecting a terrorist insurrection. Sabrina, the engineer's daughter, is a member of this resistance group, which appears to be comprised of children. Meanwhile, the King's hidden hand sets in motion a power play that will change the destiny of the kingdom forever, and all of these characters get caught up together in a whirlwind of violence and faith.

This lusciously illustrated, science fiction fantasy by French cartoonist Antoine Cossé moves with the grace of a swan. Dark, romantic, and compassionate, it is an exploration of greed, its consequences, and the possibility of escape.

The first 150 preordered copies of Metax will include an exclusive Fantagraphics bookplate autographed by the author. Copies ordered after the release date will receive a bookplate while supplies last, so preorder now!

MONSTER KILL SQUAD #4

• Supposedly the final Bad Idea release. We'll see.

NEVER NEVER TPB

NIGHT HUNTERS TPB

NO HOLDS BARD #2 (OF 6)

NO ONE KNOWS GN

PATRIOTIKA UNITED #2 (OF 3)

PEACH BOY RIVERSIDE VOL 5 GN

PERFECT WORLD VOL 10 GN

PETER GRILL & PHILOSOPHERS TIME VOL 7 GN

POKEMON MOVIE SECRETS JUNGLE ANOTHER BEGINNING GN

RAINA TELGEMEIER GHOSTS GN NEW PTG

REBORN AS A BARRIER MASTER VOL 2 GN

REPRISE OF THE SPEAR HERO VOL 7 GN

RICK & MORTY RICK’S NEW HAT TPB

RISE OF DRACULA #2 (OF 6)

RISING OF THE SHIELD HERO VOL 17 GN

SCHOOL BITES DELUXE VOL 1 STUDIO EDITION

SEASIDE STRANGER VOL 2: HARUKAZE NO ETRANGER GN

Story & Art by: Kii Kanna | Seven Seas | Older Teen (15+) | 192 pages | $13.99

A HEARTRENDING HOMECOMING

Shun has had no contact with his family since the day he revealed that he’s gay. Now he’s headed home to Hokkaido to visit his ailing father, and he’s taking his new boyfriend, Mio. The trip will be unpleasant enough for Shun, but what will it bring up for Mio, who knows all too well the pain of losing a parent?

SECOND PLACE #2 (OF 4)

SEVEN DEADLY SINS MANGA BOX SET VOL 1

SHAMAN KING OMNIBUS VOL 7 TPB

SHELTER DIVISION #1 (OF 3)

SIMON & CHESTER VOL 1: SUPER DETECTIVES GN

• First issue!

SKIP AND LOAFER GN VOL 3

SPECIES DOMAIN GN VOL 11

SQUIDDING AROUND VOL 3: PRANK YOU VERY MUCH GN

SUPER ADVENTURES OF OLLIE & BEA: BATS WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR GN

SUPER HXEROS VOL 5 GN

SWORDS OF CEREBUS IN HELL VOL 10 TPB

TALES FROM THE DEAD ASTRONAUT #3 (OF 3)

TOPPU GP VOL 7 GN

TRASH & CAN IT DISPOSABLE HEROES #2 (OF 4)

TWIZTID HAUNTED HIGH ONS CURSE OF GREEN BOOK #3 (OF 4)

VAMPIRE DORMITORY VOL 3 GN

WILD BULLETS #3 (OF 3)

WITCH GN PART IX 100 WITCH VOL 2 GN

YARICHIN BITCH CLUB VOL 4 GN

YUKI VS PANDA #6

MAGAZINES

COMIC SHOP NEWS (90CT BUNDLE) #1799

HOGANS ALLEY #23

BOOKS

ART OF ENRIC HC

BACCANO LIGHT NOVEL HC VOL 18

DC SUPER HERO FAIRY TALES AQUAMAN & RAPUNZEL PLOT

DC SUPER HERO FAIRY TALES BATMANS HANSEL & GRETEL TEST

DC SUPER HERO FAIRY TALES BLACK CANARY & THREE BAD BEARS

DC SUPER HERO FAIRY TALES SUPERMAN & RUMPELSTILTSKIN RUSE

DC SUPER PETS BDG ORIGIN OF GREEN LANTERNS ALIEN PAL

DC SUPER PETS BEPPO ORIGIN OF SUPERMANS MONKEY

DC SUPER PETS COMET ORIGIN OF SUPERGIRLS HORSE

DC SUPER PETS STORM ORIGIN OF AQUAMANS SEAHORSE

FASTNER & LARSONS DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND SC

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST ABDUCTED ALCHEMIST PROSE NOVEL SC

QUINN MADCAP CAPERS: CATWOMAN'S CROOKED CONTEST

HARLEY QUINN MADCAP CAPERS: HARLEY AND BATGIRL SHOW

HARLEY QUINN MADCAP CAPERS JOKER HIDEOUT HEIST

HARLEY QUINN MADCAP CAPERS: POISON IVY'S BIG BOSS IN BLOOM

HER MAJESTY'S SWARM LN VOL 2

HIGH SCHOOL DXD LIGHT NOVEL SC VOL 6

MY STATUS AS ASSASSIN EXCEEDS HERO LIGHT NOVEL VOL 2

SEIREI GENSOUKI SPIRIT CHRONICLES OMNIBUS NOVEL VOL 4

STAN LEE'S DEVI'LS QUINTET: ARMAGEDDON CODE HC

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC: MIDNIGHT HORIZON HC NOVEL

WONDER WOMAN SPRING INTO ACTION PICTUREBOOK

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES VOL 2: BEFORE THE DARKNESS HC:

"This "Before the Darkness" series of LSH reprints... continues directly from the last Archives."

Not exactly. Setting the omnibus aside, LSH Before the Darkness v2 marks the 19th volume (overall) of four archival series collecting every LSH appearance between 1958 and 1984. There have been three sets beyond the last archive (v13), of which this is is the second volume of the third series (the 17th in sequence). I will explain further this coming Wednesday in "What Comics Have You Read Today," but my policy is to actually have it in my hands before I post about it. 

"I have no problem with DC marketing the stories between the last omnibus and ["The Great Darkness Saga"] as prequels of a sort."

Their doing so is similar to their labeling of two Mike Grell Green Arrow omnibuses as "The Longbow Hunters" (which strikes me as misleading at best).

ARTIST EDITIONS:

"But I have to say that of all the artists who have been honored with this format, Big John B. is one of the few that I think truly deserves it."

On the contrary, I think few of those honored with this format didn't deserve it.

PROPHET #1 FACSIMILE EDITION:

"I... don't remember a thing about it."

I do... unfortunately. Prophet is basically Rob Liefeld's version of Captain America. Just look at him. (Prophet I mean, not Liefeld.) Does he look as if he came from the 1940s?

66789101968.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M #1:

"This concept may have outlived its shelf life."

You're not wrong. A previous installment overturned a key assumption of Future Imperfect: namely, that Hulk killed all the heroes. Somebody didn't think this one through because it seriously dilutes the power of the original. It has the Pantheon in it, though, so I'll give it a try. Look for my thoughts (probably Thursday) in the usual spot.

2.5 DIMENSIONAL SEDUCTION VOL. 1 GN:

"...the president of the school’s manga club... Then the new school year starts..."

I don't know where  Yu Hashimoto went to school, but that outfit would definitely not have passed my school's dress code (unfortunately).

10012633067?profile=RESIZE_710x

FLASH GORDON DAILIES VOL 8: RADIUM MINES OF ELECTRA HC:

"Uh oh. I think the last one of these I got was Volume 4."

"Uh oh," is right. I have four volumes as well, but I'm not even certain they're from the same series.

"The Storm Queen of Valkir" - Don Moore and Austin Briggs (Sundays) 1944-1948

Dan Barry Volume 1 - "The City of Ice" (dailies) 1951-1953

"The Lost Continent" - Dan Barry (dailies) 1953-1956

Sundays: Dan Barry Volume 1 - "The Death Planet" - 1967-1971

I don't even remember seeing any other volumes solicited.

I'll get to the bottom of this.

• "I'll get to the bottom of this."

Okay, I've got the answer.

The ones I listed above are volumes 4-7 overall. The reason I don't have Titan volumes 1-3 is because those reprint the Alex Raymond stuff which I already own ,full size with "Jungle Jim" toppers, in IDW volumes 1-4. (I'm sure it's the same with you.) If you have IDW v1-4 and the four Titan volumes listed above, all you need is Titan volume "seven" and you're good to go. (I still don't remember seeing it solicited, though, unless it's so far overdue I've forgotten.)

According to your list, Alley Oop v1 is shipping this week, too. v2 has already been solicited, and this new series of dailies complements the two volumes of Alley Oop Sundays from Dark Horse. And speaking of IDW (as I was above), it's now been been five years since the last volume of Li'l Abner. We're stranded in 1952!

• MADMAN LIBRARY EDITION VOL 2 HC - I always loved the art in this series, but the story would always leave me wanting more substance to it. My question would be what all will these Library Editions include? Between the 2 main Dark Horse and Image comics that is 37 issues. Then you have the Atomics series and that is another 15, Plus the, I think, original Tundra series. The various one-shots. Will this also include the Superman crossover? Or not because of DC?

MAESTRO: WORLD WAR M #1 - This series of miniseries has followed my usual pattern of Peter David stories. I really like the first arc, I think the second is okay. Now we get the third one, and I've lost interest in the story he is telling.

BLOOD ON SUNSET #2 (OF 5) - Because I told Cap I would let him know what I thought of the first issue, and I finally remembered. It was a pretty good set-up in the first issue, and I appreciated the blend of horror and crime which you don't see a whole lot of.

• Amazon lists the contents of MADMAN LIBRARY EDITION VOL 2 as:

MADMAN COMICS 11-20, SUPERMAN/MADMAN Hullabaloo, NEXUS MEETS MADMAN, MADMAN JAM, MADMAN KING-SIZE Super Groovy Special!, WHO KILLED MADMAN? (POWERS crossover), MADMAN All-New, Giant-Size Super Ginchy Special!, MADMAN Monster!, and "MADMAN Detour to Armenia".

• Thanks, Richard! That means they should have enough material for another edition or 2 I would guess.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES VOL 2: BEFORE THE DARKNESS HC:

"This "Before the Darkness" series of LSH reprints ... continues directly from the last Archives."

Not exactly. Setting the omnibus aside, LSH Before the Darkness v2 marks the 19th volume (overall) of four archival series collecting every LSH appearance between 1958 and 1984. There have been three sets beyond the last archive (v13), of which this is is the second volume of the third series (the 17th in sequence). I will explain further this coming Wednesday in "What Comics Have You Read Today," but my policy is to actually have it in my hands before I post about it.

Ugh, you had to complicate it.

Well, I think what I have is comprehensive. Or close. I read all these comics in my 20s, and I don't NEED to have a comprehensive collection. But I was hoping I had one.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Uh oh. I think the last one of these I got was Volume 4."

"Uh oh," is right. I have four volumes as well, but I'm not even certain they're from the same series.

"The Storm Queen of Valkir" - Don Moore and Austin Briggs (Sundays) 1944-1948

Dan Barry Volume 1 - "The City of Ice" (dailies) 1951-1953

"The Lost Continent" - Dan Barry (dailies) 1953-1956

Sundays: Dan Barry Volume 1 - "The Death Planet" - 1967-1971

I don't even remember seeing any other volumes solicited.

I'll get to the bottom of this.

Yay! Your later explanation is my situation, so I guess I'll get "radium Mines" with a quiet heart.

Travis Herric said:

MADMAN LIBRARY EDITION VOL 2 HC - I always loved the art in this series, but the story would always leave me wanting more substance to it. My question would be what all will these Library Editions include? Between the 2 main Dark Horse and Image comics that is 37 issues. Then you have the Atomics series and that is another 15, Plus the, I think, original Tundra series. The various one-shots. Will this also include the Superman crossover? Or not because of DC?

OK, this gives me an excuse to blather on about what I was implying above about Legion of Super-Heroes. Which is:

In general, I have already read most stuff I buy in reprint form now.  So what I'm looking for is "big stories" and "comprehensive runs." And those efforts, no matter how you look at them, are artificial constructs.

Also, even if I haven't read the stories ... even if I can't achieve a comprehensive run ... even if I have other complaints about reprint series ... does any of it matter?

I don't mean to get existential. What I am asking is what a friend said to me 40 years ago: "Would a man riding on a fast horse 400 years from now give a shit?"

Yes, crude and broad. But the point is ... well, not to put to fine a point on it, we're all going to die someday. And what we collect or don't collect isn't of any real importance. We buy things because they feel good, and that's all. Some of it might have resale value for our survivors, and we should angle that way. But otherwise it doesn't matter.

So if I have missed some Legion of Super-Heroes issues between the Archives and today's reprint series, or if you, Travis, miss some Madman stories because they're not included in the omnibuses (and I honestly don't think any DC-related material will be), then we should consider that man on the horse.

If it's a matter of reading these issues ... well, they're all available online. We're talking hard-print collections, and, as my wife keeps pointing out, "you can't own it all."

Sorry to drag on you guys, Jeff and Trav, but as I approach Medicare I am really considering what is and what isn't important in my collecting mania -- especially since there are so may options now. How many years do I have left earning a paycheck? How many years left do I have selling off the collection and not leaving it to my poor wife?

To paraphrase Dr. Strange: "I'm in the endgame now."

But aren't we all, no matter what age we are?

• "Ugh, you had to complicate it."

No, DC complicated it. ;)

"Yay! Your later explanation is my situation"

I really thought the editor in you would have commented on the haphazard way this "series" is titled. What comes first? the story title? The creator(s) name(s)? The volume number? The type of strip? Obviously neither one of us even realized this was a single comprehensive "series."

"Sorry to drag on you guys, Jeff and Trav"

No, your thoughts are not all that dissimilar to mine. I always looked ahead to my "retirement" years as a time when I could catch up on the backlog of collections that has been accumulating on my shelf for decades now. And that's what I had been doing. But after a year of reading nothing but comics (not on my own terms, but because I was furloughed), I'm taking a hiatus from comics (for the most part) to read some "words without pictures." 

• Cap said:

Sorry to drag on you guys, Jeff and Trav, but as I approach Medicare I am really considering what is and what isn't important in my collecting mania -- especially since there are so may options now. How many years do I have left earning a paycheck? How many years left do I have selling off the collection and not leaving it to my poor wife?

Its no drag on me, Cap. I've considered quite a bit of what you said before. I turn 50 next year, but I'm single with no kids. My brother is married, but he also has no kids. I have considered just willing my comics to like the Hero Initiative, assuming I still have it then.

Even after selling at my best guess 12-15 long boxes. I currently have 50 long boxes around 8 short boxes. I want to start selling some again, but I would have to go the eBay route. Or take a sizeable portion of my collection to a local store.

But that's just my comics. I still have all of my Magic: the Gathering cards, all of my sports cards, plus toys, and all of my other collections.

• This is one of those things that's not fun to think about, but you kind of have to.  It came home to me when my Dad died and I had to go through his stuff, and he had about a hundred books in his unread pile.  He and I had very different reading tastes, so they were of little interest to me.  I resolved at that point not to die with a huge pile of unread books If I could help it.

While it's true that anyone of any age might die at any time, the fact is that the longer you live, the higher the probability that the bell will be ringing or thee sooner rather than later, and you have to order your life accordingly. 

• "I resolved at that point not to die with a huge pile of unread books If I could help it."

That's the goal I'm working toward now.

"How many years left do I have selling off the collection and not leaving it to my poor wife?"

...and thinking about that, but not actually doing anything about it.

This reply was deleted.