DARK BLOOD #6

FIREFLY #36

GETTING DIZZY #3

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #4

ONCE & FUTURE #24

POWER RANGERS UNIVERSE #2 (OF 6)

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLACK HAMMER REBORN #8 (OF 12)

CYBERPUNK 2077 YOU HAVE MY WORD #3 (OF 4)

HELLBOY SILVER LANTERN CLUB #4 (OF 5)

JOY OPERATIONS #3

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF EIZOUKEN VOL 3 TPB

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1039

ALL STAR SUPERMAN DELUXE EDITION HC

Story: Grant Morrison | Art/Cover: Frank Quitely | $3.99

An emotionally and visually stunning graphic novel hearkening back to the Golden Age of comics, All-Star Superman creates a new but familiar take on the world’s first superhero. Collects the now-classic 12-issue miniseries at oversize trim with behind-the-scenes extras.

• I'm pretty sure this has come out in some HC format or other already, but if and when it did, I missed it. And I do want a hardback version of this very good story on my shelf — I didn't realize I was reading Morrison's version of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" until the end, as he tipped his hat to Silver Age concepts instead of characters before wrapping up the saga. So it bears a re-read (and probably more than one, as it is so charming). So yes, I'll be getting this. Now, if they'd just do the same with Superman: Red Son ...
  • I hope this isn't the final cover, though, because Super-Lois was just one Silver Age concept among many, and not representative of the work as a whole.

AQUAMAN/GREEN ARROW DEEP TARGET #4 (OF 7)

BATMAN/CATWOMAN SPECIAL #1

Story: Tom King | Artist (p.1-13), Breakdowns (14-20), Cover: John Paul Leon | Artists (p.14-20): Bernard Chang w/Shawn Crystal | Artist (p.21-38): Mitch Gerads | Colors (p.1-20): Dave Stewart | Letterer: Clayton Cowles | Pin-Ups: Lee Bermejo, Deny Cowan, Becky Cloonan, Klaus Janson & Dave Stewart, Rick Leonardi & Dave Stewart, Chris Batista, Dani & Tamra Bonvillain, Ibrahim Moustafa, Clay Mann & Seth Mann, Vanesa del Rey, Dave Johnson, Joëlle Jones, Shawn Martinborough & Chris Sotomayor, Khary Rhandolph & Emilio Lopez, Tula Lotay, Dave Gibbons, Walter Simonson & Laura Martin, Jon Bogdanove & Sian Mandrake | Essays: Michael Davis, Kurt Busiek | $9.99

The BATMAN/CATWOMAN series has been showing us the romance between Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle as it has changed over their lives, but what about their connections from BEFORE they became costumed adventurers? The Batman/Catwoman Special traces the life of Selina Kyle from its earliest days to her entry into the criminal underworld and reveals that Bruce was a presence in her life all along. Whether fate or coincidence, it's even more of a reason why the Bat/Cat romance is one of the most enduring love affairs in all of comics.

Now expanded to celebrate the legacy of iconic artist John Paul Leon, whose untimely passing after a long battle with cancer shocked the comics world this past May, this special will feature the work Leon completed for the original story plus tributes to the renowned artist created in his name by some of his closest friends and admirers. Bernard Chang, Shawn Crystal, Mitch Gerads and Dave Stewart will bring the original story to its conclusion, lettered by Clayton Cowles, while comics' top artists gather to celebrate Leon's creative legacy through pin-up pages and essays in the special, including Lee Bermejo, Denys Cowan, Joëlle Jones, Dave Gibbons, Walter Simonson and more.

“With the blessing of Tommy Lee Edwards, Bernard Chang and DC, it is my immense honor to announce my next project is the back half of the Batman/Catwoman Special #1 that the late great John Paul Leon was working on right up to his passing,” shared Gerads. “Honored doesn’t begin to cut it …”

“A definitive statement on the Caped Crusader that will stand the test of time.” — Entertainment Weekly

“it’s impossible to ignore how their love is tested in a hostile place like Gotham.” — Inverse

• First issue!
  • Delayed for a year by the tragic death of artist John Paul Leon. I'm glad to see that DC opted to finish it, and honor Leon in the same breath.

CRISIS ON MULTIPLE EARTHS BOOK 2: CRISIS CROSSED TPB

DC POSTER PORTFOLIO DC PRIDE TPB

DC VS. VAMPIRES #4

DEATHSTROKE INC. #5

DETECTIVE COMICS #1050

FLASH #778

FLASH BY GEOFF JOHNS OMNIBUS VOL 3 HC

GEN13: STARTING OVER DELUXE EDITION HC

HARLEY QUINN #11

HUMAN TARGET #4 (OF 12)

JUSTICE LEAGUE #71

MISTER MIRACLE THE GREAT ESCAPE TPB

PEACEMAKER: DISTURBING THE PEACE ONE-SHOT #1

Story: Garth Ennis | Art: Garry Brown | Cover: Juan Ferreyra | $5.99

The breakout character from The Suicide Squad gets his own tale of peace ahead of the upcoming HBO Max TV show! Long before joining the Suicide Squad, Christopher Smith, code name Peacemaker, meets with a psychiatrist—a woman dangerously obsessed with his bizarre and violent past. From his tragic childhood to his military service overseas to his multiple missions with Special Forces, Smith has more than his share of skeletons in the closet. But who’s actually analyzing whom? And will this trip down memory lane result in yet more fatalities? Garth Ennis and Garry Brown delve deep into Christopher Smith’s history of violence, and reveal what might bring peace — or not — to the Peacemaker.

• First issue!
  • And inevitable, I suppose, what with the HBO Max series currently streaming. (Which is very good, BTW.) But they're not just shoveling this out with a bunch of C-list creators; they've got Garth Ennis on words, which is a big selling point for me.

ROBIN #10

STATIC SEASON ONE #5 (OF 6)

SUPERMAN & ROBIN ONE-SHOT #1

Story: Peter J. Tomasi | Art/Cover: Viktor Bogdanovic | $5.99

As the Super Sons, Jon Kent and Damian Wayne put evil to bed … past its bedtime. But a new day has dawned, and Jon Kent is now the Superman of Metropolis — all grown up and fighting for truth, justice and the kinds of grown-up things that Superboy was only beginning to understand as a child. Now a ghost from Jon’s past has reared its head, and to battle this evil, he’ll need to reunite with Robin for one last mission into the heart of darkness. This time they’ll be battling not as Super Sons, but as Superman and Robin! This thrilling adventure is written by acclaimed Super Sons scribe Peter J. Tomasi!

• First issue!
  • I miss the Super Sons. I guess this is close as I'll get to them now.

SUPERMAN 78 #6

TASK FORCE Z #4

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY #11

TEEN TITANS GO!/DC SUPER HERO GIRLS: EXCHANGE STUDENTS GN

WONDER GIRL #7

• Last issue!
  • This cancellation wasn't expected — in fact, issues #8-9 had already been solicited and, according to Bleeding Cool, completed. Now they'll be published as part of next month's Wonder Woman crossover, as Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl #1-2.
  • Why the cancellation? Again, according to Bleeding Cool (which I emphasize is a news and rumors site), it's because the proposed Wonder Girl series fell through at The CW.
  • And it's a shame, because Joëlle Jones deserves a high-profile platform. I've been a fan of her work since Lady Killer (in development as a TV show on some streamer or other). I don't imagine she'll remain idle for long.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

ARMY OF DARKNESS 1979 #5

INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #7

SHEENA: QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE #3

VAMPIRELLA/DRACULA: UNHOLY #2

IDW PUBLISHING

CHAINED TO THE GRAVE TPB

MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC SEASON 10 VOL 2 TPB

MY LITTLE PONY: GENERATIONS #4

SLEEPING BEAUTIES #9

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION: BEST OF CAPTAIN PICARD

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Louie De Martinis | $6.99

Revisit some of the best adventures of Captain Picard in this extra-long collection! Featuring stories from across multiple Star Trek comic publishers, this issue is perfect for any fan wanting to learn more about the celebrated Starfleet officer.

• For the "Make It So" fans out there.

TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS #12

USAGI YOJIMBO: LONE GOAT AND KID #1

Story/Art: Stan Sakai | Cover: Stan Petersen | $3.99

Longtime fans and curious newcomers can revisit the early adventures of the rabbit ronin, now in full color, with the launch of the six-issue miniseries Usagi Yojimbo: Lone Goat and Kid.

For comic readers interested in seeing vintage Usagi tales through a new lens, the upcoming Usagi Yojimbo: Lone Goat and Kid miniseries reprints a selection of seminal short stories in full color for the first time. The debut issue revisits the tale of “Frost and Fire,” wherein our hero is tasked with retrieving a slain samurai's swords… provided that he can solve an impossible moral quandary first. As a special bonus, David Petersen, the acclaimed creator of Mouse Guard, will provide the cover artwork for all six issues.

“I grew up reading and watching Lone Wolf and Cub in manga, movies and television, so when I was thinking of new characters, this series came to mind as a homage/parody. My first thought was ‘Lone Bear and Cub’ but changed it to ‘Lone Goat and Kid’, which I like even better. I love that kid because, as in the original, he does almost nothing but is still essential to the story,” says Sakai.

• First issue!

USAGI YOJIMBO ORIGINS VOL 2: WANDERERS ROAD TPB

WYNONNA EARP ALL IN TPB

IMAGE COMICS

CRUEL SUMMER TPB

DEADLY CLASS #50

FRONTIERSMAN #5

GRRL SCOUTS: STONE GHOST #3

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #4

ICE CREAM MAN #28

JUPITER’S LEGACY VOL 5: NETFLIX EDITION TPB

MADE IN KOREA TPB

Story: Jeremy Holt | Art/Cover: George Schall | $16.99

A Korean nine-year-old named Jesse is adopted and sent to live with a lovely couple in America. Socially awkward, yet equipped with a seemingly encyclopedic brain, the young girl’s journey through the complexities of race, gender, and identity hits a fork in the road when she discovers she’s not entirely human…yet. Adolescence just got a lot more emotional for the world’s first true A.I. system. Collects Made in Korea issues #1-6.

Fan favorite writer Jeremy Holt will go on a New York City area signing tour Jan. 26-29 in celebration of the release of the popular sci-fi series.

“With perfect pacing and absolutely gorgeous artwork, Made In Korea is highly recommended.” — Brian K. Vaughan

“A real stunner, Made in Korea is one of the most intriguing issue-ones I can recall reading in the past year." — The Stranger

"Classic SF premise (AI as human) with a very modern feel, elegant art and damn fine lettering. A compelling book." — Kurt Busiek

"Takes Children-of-Man-meets-AI energy and finds its own place. Everything is just off, and compellingly so. Contemplative, with a beautiful mood throughout." — Kieron Gillen

“Poised to be the sleeper comic book hit of the summer.” — Comic Book Resources

“Like the best Black Mirror episodes. … Holt and Schall have created something special.” — Nick Spencer

“Impeccably crafted.” — AIPT

“Ambitious and expansive. … An exceptional comic.” — Graphic Policy

• I haven't read this, but I assume it's a metaphor for the immigration experience, as well as the usual Pinocchio story you see with robots that yearn to be real people. I'm not tired of either of those concepts, plus the art looks nice, so I might check this one out now that's in trade.

MONSTRESS #36

SAGA #55

STRAY DOGS: DOG DAYS #2

TWO MOONS #9

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #87

AVENGERS FOREVER #2

BLACK PANTHER #3

CAPTAIN AMERICA/IRON MAN #3

CONAN: PEOPLE OF BLACK CIRCLE AND OTHER STORIES TPB

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: GOING OUT WEST TPB

DEADPOOL: BLACK WHITE & BLOOD TREASURY EDITION TPB

DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE #5

• Dr. Strange: I'm not dead!
  • Readers: 'Ere! 'E says 'e's not dead!
  • Marvel: Yes he is.
  • Dr. Strange: I'm not!
  • Readers: 'E isn't?
  • Marvel: Well ... he will be soon — he's very ill.
  • Dr. Strange: I'm getting better!
  • Marvel: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
  • Dr. Strange: I don't want to go on the cart!
  • Marvel: Oh, don't be such a baby.
  • Dr. Strange: I think I'll go for a walk!
  • Marvel: You're not fooling anyone, you know.
  • Dr. Strange: I feel happy! I feel happy!

DEVIL’S REIGN #3

DEVIL’S REIGN WINTER SOLDIER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art: Nico Leon | Cover: Felipe Massafera | Teen+ | $4.99

A power-mad Mayor Fisk has been gathering information on super heroes. How far will Bucky Barnes go to steal the file on his own shadowy, half-remembered past as the Winter Soldier? And what horrible revelation awaits him if he can get past the Kingpin?

Some secrets are meant to stay buried. And some doors are meant to stay closed.

• First issue!

DOCTOR STRANGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 NEW PTG HC

DOCTOR STRANGE OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

• Really at a crossroads with this one. I have both the Volume One Omnibus and MMW Vols. 1-3, then Vols. 6-9. This second Omnibus would basically take me to the end of MMW Vol. 3. Since I'm missing MMW Vols. 4-5, I'm going to  have to get the third omnibus for those (which doesn't yet exist). So do I go ahead and get this omnibus, and ditch Dr. Strange Masterworks Vols. 1-3 but switch back to MMW after omnnibus vol. 3, or do I ignore this omnibus, ditch the first volume, and go with MMW Vols 1-3, omnibus vol. 3, and then back to MMW? Decisions, decisions.

IRON MAN #16

MARAUDERS ANNUAL #1

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Crees Lee | Cover: Russell Dauterman | Teen+ | $4.99

A brand new era of X-Men is upon us! Following Jonathan Hickman’s limited comic series Inferno, many of your favorite ongoing X-titles will be undergoing thrilling changes including the hit mutant seafaring series MARAUDERS! Taking over writing duties from Gerry Duggan will be writer Steve Orlando, known for his critically acclaimed work on books like Wonder Woman and Curse of the Man-Thing. Bringing new energy to the mutant mythos, Orlando will launch the book with an exciting cast shakeup and a threat that strikes at the heart of the mutant nation of Krakoa. The first adventure in Orlando’s new run will kick off in January’s MARAUDERS ANNUAL #1 where he’ll be joined by artist Crees Lee.

The Marauders are ready to renew their mission of mutant rescue! Kate Pryde’s got the mission — all she needs now is a new boat and a fresh crew to match. Alongside Bishop, Pryde will recruit a team of mutants, new and old, including Psylocke, Daken, Aurora, Tempo and Somnus, the new mutant hero who debuted earlier this year in Marvel’s Voices: Pride #1! They’ll unite to spring Daken from imprisonment at the hands of a leader who’s as cruel as he is charismatic: the primal provocateur known as Brimstone Love, a fan-favorite villain from the 2099 timeline making his present day debut! It’s the Marauders versus the Theater of Pain, a torture troupe that’s set up shop in Xavier’s School’s old backyard!

“Taking the helm of MARAUDERS is easily the most exciting moment of my career, especially when it's my first-ever ongoing not just on Krakoa, but at Marvel in general,” Orlando said. “Exploding out of the team's already-amazing adventures as part of Hellfire Trading, Captain Pryde's new crew of Marauders will stop at nothing to bring endangered mutants to safety — to always go where they're needed, not where they're wanted. To mutant rescue, wherever it calls them!”

• First issue!
  • This apparently launches the All-New Adventures of Captain Kate & The Marauders, in what is being called the The Second Krakoan Age.

MARVEL'S VOICES: LEGACY TPB

MARY JANE/BLACK CAT BEYOND #1

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art: C.F. Villa | Cover: J. Scott Campbell | Teen+ | $4.99

Black Cat has been kidnapped, and the only person who can save her is ... MARY JANE WATSON?!

Mary Jane has never liked Felicia Hardy, and now she has to save her life?! But remember, this is the Black Cat we're talking about. Things are never quite what they seem.

• First issue!
  • Unless things have changed greatly since I was in the dating world, this isn't going to end well ... for Peter Parker.
  • Incidentally, I have said this before about J. Scott Campbell's depiction of the female form: Real women do not look like this. And if they did, it's entirely possible they couldn't walk. In case I haven't made it clear, I find it appalling.

MIGHTY THOR OMNIBUS VOL 1 NEW PTG HC

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC: TRAIL OF SHADOWS #4 (OF 5)

SYMBIOTE SPIDERMAN: CROSSROADS TPB

THE MARVELS VOL 1: WAR IN SIANCONG TPB

• If they're gonna keep mentioning Siancong, I guess I have to stop being stubborn and get Mark Waid's History of the Marvel Universe. Even though the very concept irritates me. Hope it's in hardback somewhere.

THOR #21

WINTER GUARD: OPERATION SNOWBLIND TPB

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #1

Story: Ben Percy | Art: Federico Vicentini | Cover: Adam Kubert | Parental Advisory | $5.99

WEEK 2 — If WOLVERINE's future lies in the past, what does that mean for the present? The reciprocal series to X LIVES OF WOLVERINE, X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE is can't-miss reading, chock-full of revelations for the best there is as well as the fate of mutantkind!

X LIVES OF WOLVERINE and X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE, a pair of interlocking series will usher in The Second Krakoan Age of X-Men! Week after week, writer Benjamin Percy and artists Joshua Cassara, Federico Vicentini and Adam Kubert will journey across Wolverine’s history and future to deliver a transformative epic packed with revelations and exciting developments not just for Logan but for all of mutantkind.

“I'm going to make a bold statement: I set out to write the greatest Wolverine story ever told,” Percy told Entertainment Weekly in an exclusive interview. “I'm not trying to belittle previous creators when I say that. The opposite. I'm trying to honor them. When we reveal the expansive scope — and legacy elements — of the project, you'll understand what I mean. We're creating a definitive platform that channels all the Wolverine stories that came before, while shredding our way into a wild future.”

• First issue!
  • If you don't count X Lives of Wolverine last week!
  • Which is the first part of a 10-part storyline alternating between X Lives and X Deaths, but does have a different name! So there are two first issues for a single story!

X-MEN #7

X-MEN HELLFIRE GALA TPB

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ABANDONED EMPRESS VOL 1 GN

• First issue!

ALL GUTS NO GLORY #1 (OF 3)

• First issue!

AQUICORN COVE GN

ARCHIE MILESTONES JUMBO DIGEST #13: BEST OF THE '60S

ARCHIE MODERN CLASSICS: MAGIC TPB

BALONEY & FRIENDS: GOING UP GN

BLACK BEACON #5 (OF 6)

BLADE RUNNER 2029 VOL 2: ECHOES GN

Story: Mike Johnson  | Art: Andres Guinaldo  | Titan Comics | 112 pages | $17.99

The officially sanctioned graphic novel series to the cult 1982 science fiction movie Blade Runner, directed by Ridley Scott. Written by New York Times Bestselling author Mike Johnson. With Michael Green, the Oscar nominated writer of Blade Runner 2049, Logan, and Murder on the Orient Express as Creative Consultant.

Blade Runner Ash becomes the hunted when the Replicant cult leader Yotun orders his death cult to hunt her down and kill her. Now, to protect those she loves, Ash must take to the rain-soaked streets of Los Angeles and do battle with a fanatical and relentless army of super-human Replicants.

CITY VOL 13 GN

COCAINE COAST GN

COCOON ENTWINED VOL 4 GN

COWBOY BEBOP #1

Story: Dan Watters | Art: Lamar Mathurin | Cover: Stanley Lau "Artgerm" | Titan | 32 pages | $3.99

Based on the new Netflix live-action adaptation of the original anime!

An original story set in the year 2171. The bounty hunter crew of the spaceship Bebop chase an ex-gang member who holds a vest which gives the wearer unlimited luck.

Titan Publishing is delighted to announce a new collaboration with Netflix to publish the official fiction, non-fiction & comics for the eagerly anticipated upcoming series, Cowboy Bebop, set to premier on Netflix on Nov. 19, 2021. A prequel novel to be published in November 2021 will be followed by a beautiful coffee table art book detailing the making of the series in Spring 2022.  These will also be accompanied by an original comic book series featuring the characters from the show, which will debut in December 2021.

Based on the worldwide phenomenon from Sunrise Inc., COWBOY BEBOP is an action-packed space Western about three bounty hunters, aka “cowboys,” all trying to outrun the past. As different as they are deadly, Spike Spiegel (John Cho), Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir), and Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda) form a scrappy, snarky crew ready to hunt down the solar system’s most dangerous criminals — for the right price. But they can only kick and quip their way out of so many scuffles before their pasts finally catch up with them.

• First issue!
  • I enjoyed the TV series, so I anticipate enjoying this.

DARK HISTORY OF REINCARNATED VILLAINESS VOL 4 GN

DESTINY NY #9

DOUBLE VOL 1 GN

Story/Art:  Ayako Noda | TokyoPop | Older Teen | B&W | 176 pages | $12.99

Ayako Noda's Double is a seinen series that explores the world of theater, acting, and the struggles of your best friend also being your professional rival. It won the Excellence Award in the Manga Division of the 23rd Japan Media Arts Festival in 2020.

Scatterbrained Takara Takarada is a genius actor whose career finally seems to be taking off. Having caught the eye of an esteemed director for his latest film, Takara's good looks and startling intensity have landed him squarely in the public eye, while his best friend and fellow actor, Yuujin Kamoshima remains in the shadows.

Absent-minded and awkward in real life, Takara is hard pressed to keep up with the demands of success. As his popularity soars, what happens when Yuujin steps back from his role as Takara's caretaker and the other half of his acting inspiration? When newfound fame proves as debilitating as it is thrilling, Takara must answer for himself: whose ambition is he acting out?

• First issue!

DUEL #1 (OF 10)

• First issue!

THE FOX & LITTLE TANUKI VOL 4 GN

Story: Mi Tagawa  | TokyoPop | All ages | B&W | 172 pages | $12.99

Mi Tagawa's The Fox & Little Tanuki follows the adventures of the formerly tyrannical black fox Senzou and his adorably naïve tanuki pup charge Manpachi. Found family, Japanese legends, and a tail tale of redemption come together in this family friend series.

300 years after he was imprisoned by the Sun Goddess for his bad behavior, Senzou is back — in the form of a small black fox with no powers! Tasked with protecting a young tanuki called Manpachi as he fulfills various tasks for the gods, Senzou must earn his powers back by learning how to be a good guardian to the energetic little pup.

GAL GOHAN VOL 10 (OF 10) GN

• Every time I see this out of the corner of my eye, it reads "Gal Gadot." Then I look again, and am disappointed.

GHOUL AGENCY #1

• First issue!

THE GIRL I WANT IS SO HANDSOME! — THE COMPLETE MANGA COLLECTION

Story/Art: Yuama | Seven Seas | 338 pages | Teen (13+) | $19.99

A yuri comedy about a hyper first-year student and the hot girl jock she’s crushing on by the creator of The Summer You Were There!

First-year high schooler Hina falls head over heels in love at her first glimpse of Shiki, a gorgeous, cool older girl with mad basketball skills. But when she tries to confess her feelings, she ends up as the basketball team’s manager instead. It seems like a huge blunder until she realizes it’s the perfect chance to get to know Shiki better. Will Hina and Shiki overcome their comical misunderstandings and realize they’re the perfect couple?

Read the whole hilarious story in one omnibus volume!

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #56

HAPPY KANAKO'S KILLER LIFE VOL 3 GN

THE HARBINGER #4

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art: Robbi Rodriguez | Colors By Rico Renzi | Letters By Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Covers: Robbi Rodriguez, Claudia Ianniciello, Damion Scott (Pre-Order Connecting) | Valiant | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

It’s the Harbinger vs. the Renegade. Peter confronts his past, but will it destroy him in the process?

January 21st, 2022 — The climactic confrontation of Peter Stanchek vs. The Renegade arrives in THE HARBINGER #4.

Peter Stanchek has stepped up for Psiot City and protected those in need as THE HARBINGER, but now it's time to face down an enemy of his own making ... The Renegade. After his clash against the state-sanctioned oppressors known as The Warning, Peter must come to terms with his own past and take on a dangerous fight that will push him to finally understand what it means to become a superhero in this epic final chapter of the "be better" story.

THE HARBINGER #4 is co-written by COLLIN KELLY and JACKSON LANZING (Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty, Batman Beyond: Neo Year), features art by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ (Spider-Gwen, Batgirl), colors by RICO RENZI (Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom, The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl), letters by HASSAN OTSMANE-ELHAOU (X-O MANOWAR, The Blue Flame), and covers by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ, CLAUDIA IANNICIELLO, and DAMION SCOTT.

HARUKANA RECEIVE VOL 9 GN

HE WHO FIGHTS WITH MONSTERS #5

HIGH SCHOOL PRODIGIES HAVE IT EASY IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 11 GN

I CANNOT REACH YOU VOL 3 GN

IF I COULD REACH YOU VOL 6 GN

ILLUSTRATING SPAIN IN THE U.S. HC

Ana Merino | Translation: Marta González Cutre | Fantagraphics | 120 pages | $24.99

A dazzling combination of comics and essays sheds light on the rich but often overlooked contributions of Spanish immigrants to the political, cultural, and scientific history of the US.

Since the very founding of the United States, the country's history has been intertwined with that of Spain's, in many essential yet often overlooked ways. Illustrating Spain in the US brings together some of Spain's most acclaimed cartoonists and scholars to celebrate and interrogate the contributions of Spanish immigrants to America's political, cultural, and scientific history.

Diplomat Eduardo Garrigues and cartoonist Rayco Pulido resurrect the historical figure of Bernardo de Gálvez, who played a crucial role in the Revolutionary War. Professor James Fernández, Filmmaker Luis Argeo and artists Ana Penyas and Seisdedos bring to life the rollicking immigrant enclave of Tampa, once known as the "Cigar Capital of the World." Professor Estrella de Diego and cartoonist Carla Berrocal shed light on the Spanish actors, screenwriters and musicians who broke into Hollywood and made their mark on American cinema. Professor María Dolores Jiménez-Blanco and cartoonist Max lead readers through the labyrinthine history of Spanish art collecting in the US, and the influence of Spanish art on popular American art movements. And much more! Combining the graphic expressiveness of comic art with the illuminating perspective of scholarly essays, this project aims to spark a creative dialogue about Spain's legacy in the US.

I'M THE HERO BUT THE DEMON LORD'S ALSO ME VOL 3 GN

KAIJU GIRL CARAMELISE VOL 5 GN

KISS ME AT THE STROKE OF MIDNIGHT VOL 12 GN

KNIGHT OF ICE VOL 8 GN

LADY DEATH: CATACLYSMIC MAJESTY #1 (OF 2)

• First issue!
  • I usually don't list Lady Death releases, because they're usually just years-old reprints with a snazzy new cover — and a jacked-up price. I can't swear to it, but this issue appears to be new material.

LOONEY TUNES WORDLESS: HIGH RISE HIJINKS GN

MAGAIMONO SUPER MAGIC ACTION ENTERTAINMENT VOL 1 GN

Story & Art by: Kami Imai | Translation: Faye Cozy | Adaptation: Matthew Grune | Lettering: Rai Enril | Seven Seas | 216 pages | Older Teen (15+) | $12.99

An action-packed tale that offers a glimpse into a secret world where super-powered people duel in the shadows!

College student Isogi Yuki is obsessed with the paranormal. In her constant search for proof of the supernatural, she goes wherever the evidence takes her, and recently that’s led her close to home—following her University’s new and mysterious transfer student! While spying on her research subject, Yuki ends up trapped in the middle of a magical battle (much to her delight). Luckily, she’s rescued by a strange, superpowered man in a lab coat whose companion is…the new transfer student?! She may have survived her first alien run-in, but now she’s got a bigger problem: avoiding abduction by a secret government organization!

• First issue!

MAID I HIRED RECENTLY IS MYSTERIOUS VOL 2 GN

MAN AND HIS CAT VOL 5 GN

MANGA CLASSICS: MODERN HAMLET

• "To buy or not to buy, that is the question." Sorry, couldn't resist.

MILO MANARA'S THE GOLDEN ASS

• I asked my wife what she thought of Manara's work once. I expected something along the lines of "he objectifies women," because he does. Or "it's borderline porn," because it is. But what she said was, "all his women look alike." Not what I expected, but she's not wrong. I though it was an astute critique.

MISS KOBAYASHI'S DRAGON MAID KANNA DAILY LIFE VOL 9 GN

MONSTERMIND: DEALING WITH ANXIETY & SELF-DOUBT HC

MONTAGUE TWINS VOL 2: DEVIL'S MUSIC GN

MOTHS COMPLETE SERIES GN

MY HERO ACADEMIA TEAM-UP MISSIONS VOL 2 GN

NEW MEN #1 (OF 4)

• First issue!

PATRIOTIKA VOL 1 TPB

PETROGRAD TPB

PS ARTBOOKS CLASSIC ADVENTURE COMICS SOFTEE VOL 1

RED X-MAS TPB

SAINT YOUNG MEN VOL 7 GN

SAVAGE CIRCUS #8 (OF 10)

SCIENCE IS MAGIC TPB

SEVEN DEADLY SINS: FOUR KNIGHTS OF THE APOCALYPSE GN

SEVEN SWORDS #5

SHADES OF MAGIC: STEEL PRINCE BOX SET

SPACE BASTARDS SPECIAL DELIVERY ONE-SHOT

• First issue!

SPY CLASSROOM VOL 1 GN

• First issue!

SWAMP GOD #3 (OF 6)

SWORD ART ONLINE ALTERNATIVE GUN GALE VOL 4 GN

TALE OF THE OUTCASTS VOL 3 GN

TAMAMO CHAN'S A FOX VOL 4 GN

TELEPATHS #5 (OF 6)

THOSE NOT SO SWEET BOYS VOL 5 GN

TO YOUR ETERNITY VOL 16 GN

TRAPPED IN DATING SIM WORLD OTOME GAMES VOL 3 GN

VAN HELSING: RETURN OF THE LEAGUE OF MONSTERS #2

VIRTUAL HERO GN

WAVE LISTEN TO ME VOL 8 GN

WONDERCAT KYUU-CHAN VOL 4 GN

WORLD'S STRONGEST REARGUARD LABYRINTH NOVICE VOL 4 GN

WORLD WAR 3 TPB

YOUTH ROMANTIC COMEDY WRONG EXPECTED VOL 17 GN

YOWAMUSHI PEDAL VOL 19 GN

YUZU PET VET VOL 7 GN

MAGAZINES

007 MAGAZINE SPECIAL: ON HER MAJESTY SECRET SERVICE 50TH ANNIVERSARY

CARTOONS MAGAZINE #37

COMIC SHOP NEWS  #1797

FANGORIA VOL 2 #14

G FAN #134

GOOD BOY MAGAZINE #2

HOBBY JAPAN NOVEMBER 2021

BOOKS

5 MINUTE MARVEL STORIES HC

BORDERS GN

FORGING WORLDS STORIES BEHIND ART OF BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT

GARFIELD CAT SHOW LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK

IN EVERY GENERATION HC NOVEL

JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE MANGAS REFINED ODDBALL HC

KUMA KUMA KUMA BEAR NOVEL VOL 8 SC

Story/Art: Kumanano 029 | Airship | 320 pages | Teen (13+) | $13.99

LORDING IT OVER

Yuna receives a birthday invite from Misa, the young aristocrat she met on her way to the royal capital. Unenthused about attending a rich kid’s party, Yuna sets out nonetheless. On her way, she walks straight into a face full of drama: a town with not one, but two warring feudal lords! Can the Bloody Bear calm these troubled waters? Or must she pick a side to support?

MARVEL UNTOLD NOVEL: REIGN OF THE DEVOURER SC

SPY CLASSROOM LIGHT NOVEL VOL 2 NO GURETE SC

STAR WARS: THE GALAXYS GREATEST HEROES HC

Titan Comics | 176 pages | $24.99, £21.99

The actors and creators behind 15 of Star Wars' most popular heroes discuss the process behind creating some of the most iconic characters in cinematic history. Includes Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Harrison Ford (Han Solo), and George Lucas (the creator of Star Wars), Lawrence Kasdan (writer: The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens), J.J. Abrams (writer, director: The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker), to name a few.

• I got an email from Titan last week saying this book had a new release date of Feb. 8. Yet, Diamond still lists it as Jan. 26. When there's a conflict, I usually go with Diamond. But I won't be surprised if repeats on Diamond's list in two weeks.

THESE FISTS BREAK BRICKS: HOW KUNG FU MOVIES SWEPT AMERICA

WORLD OF READING SPIDEY SAVES THE DAY AMAZING FRIENDS

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• GAL GOHAN VOL 10 (OF 10) GN

• Every time I see this out of the corner of my eye, it reads "Gal Gadot." Then I look again, and am disappointed.

Every time I see "Gal Gohan" I wonder oif it's a gender-swapped version of Son Gohan from Dragon Ball Z.

• ALL STAR SUPERMAN DELUXE EDITION: Yes, I do think this has come out before but, like you, I neglected to buy it the first time around. When I first saw it solicited a couple of months ago, I pre-ordered it but couldn't wait, and read the individual issues. I'm probably not in the mood to re-read it yet again so soon, but at least I'll have it on hand for when i am.

PEACEMAKER: DISTURBING THE PEACE ONE-SHOT: I'm not particularly interested in Peacemaker (the comic book or the TV show), but what would have made me more likely to buy this is if DC had included the first Charlton appearance in the package. Publishers used to do that kind of thing. 

WONDER GIRL #7:

"Now [#7-8] will be published as part of next month's Wonder Woman crossover, as Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl #1-2. Why the cancellation?"

The cynic in me says DC is counting on a #1-2 selling more than a #7-8.

DOCTOR STRANGE OMNIBUS VOL 2

"Really at a crossroads with this one."

I have talked you into buying so many volumes in the past that I feel obligated to talk you out of buying things once in a while. I would scratch both the MMW and the OMNI in favor of the MONSTER edition which contains ditko's run in its entirety. When it comes to culling duplicates from my already over-crowded shelves, the question I always ask myself is this: "Whenever I read this run in the future, which version am I going to read?" Unfortunately, comic book publishers do things bass-ackwards from other publishers, and too often release the inferior versions first. I have a good relationship with my LCS and get a better deal than I might otherwise expect so long as I take it in store credit. Good for him, good for me, everybody's happy.

THE MARVELS VOL 1: WAR IN SIANCONG TPB:

"If they're gonna keep mentioning Siancong, I guess I have to stop being stubborn and get Mark Waid's History of the Marvel Universe. Even though the very concept irritates me. Hope it's in hardback somewhere."

the concept of Siancong has grown on me. I can recommend both The Marvels as well as History of the Marvel Universe. the latter is not available in hardback, but it has been collected in that new "treasury" size with the plastic covers (my favorite new format). 

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE: Is that supposed to be the letter "X" or the Roman numeral? If it's the letter, that doesn't really make any sense. Actually, if it's the Roman numeral, that doesn't really make any sense, either. 

• DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE #5

• Dr. Strange: I'm not dead!
    • Readers: 'Ere! 'E says 'e's not dead!
    • Marvel: Yes he is.
    • Dr. Strange: I'm not!
    • Readers: 'E isn't?
    • Marvel: Well ... he will be soon — he's very ill.
    • Dr. Strange: I'm getting better!
    • Marvel: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
    • Dr. Strange: I don't want to go on the cart!
    • Marvel: Oh, don't be such a baby.
    • Dr. Strange: I think I'll go for a walk!
    • Marvel: You're not fooling anyone, you know.
    • Dr. Strange: I feel happy! I feel happy!

iXq5XRp.gif

• I haven't seen the Peacemaker TV show, but I've heard a lot of people recommend it.  I never was a big mark for John Cena as a wrestler, but  people are saying he's shown surprisingly good comedic timing in the show.

• I've seen John Cena on a few interview shows prior to his Peacekeeper role. He is very likeable and clever. It doesn't surprise me that he's good at comedy.

The Baron said:

I haven't seen the Peacemaker TV show, but I've heard a lot of people recommend it.  I never was a big mark for John Cena as a wrestler, but  people are saying he's shown surprisingly good comedic timing in the show.

• My only experience with John Cena is the Experian commercials. (He rides a cow.) So I came to his acting chops in The Suicide Squad without any preconceptions. I'm happy to say he appears to be a pretty good actor.

His comedic timing is, as has been noted, pretty sharp. And Peacemaker is a pretty interesting show, where a guy who's done some terrible things (see: The Suicide Squad, I won't spoil what he does, but it informs Peacemaker), and has entertained some terrible philosophies all his life (racism, misogyny, bullying, fascism), but has a better version of himself trying to surface.

There's ugly crying, a chipper sociopath in the classic New Teen Titans Vigilante costume, an incredibly horrible racist (DC Comics' White Dragon) who happens to be Peacemaker's incredibly abusive father (and is played by a face familiar to Terminator 2 fans), Judomaster (!), a surprising amount of dancing, plenty of '80s heavy metal/glam metal music and, oh yeah, a They Live/Invasion of the Body Snatchers/Secret Invasion-style alien invasion. Plus some really snappy dialogue.

Recommended.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

PEACEMAKER: DISTURBING THE PEACE ONE-SHOT: I'm not particularly interested in Peacemaker (the comic book or the TV show), but what would have made me more likely to buy this is if DC had included the first Charlton appearance in the package. Publishers used to do that kind of thing. 

DC did a couple of "Action Hero Archives" years back that reprinted all of the 1960s Blue Beetle (both series), Captain Atom and The Question. It might have included Nightshade's solo back-ups, too, I don't remember. I was appreciative, because I was missing a couple of the pre-Ditko Blue Beetles, and maybe a Strange Suspense Stories Captain Atom or two. What they didn't include was all of the other "Action Heroes" from Charlton, which I would dearly love to see collected. That would include Peacemaker (all of, I think, 13 stories), Judomaster, Sarge Steel, Son of Vulcan and Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt. Fightin' Five is optional.

That being said, you didn't miss much not reading the first Peacemaker story. There's nothing memorable about it, except for the Pat Boyette art, which I don't particularly like, but find strangely fascinating. In the story, Christopher Smith is a diplomat, but when he runs into a recalcitrant tyrant, he suits up as Peacemaker, who has apparently unlimited resources, jumps in his jet, and kills the bad guy. Diplomatic obstacle removed! Pax Americana wins again!

I found it kinda creepy when I read it in the mid-1960s, even though I was awash in Cold War rhetoric at the time. Yeah, I wanted Castro and other Commies to lose, just like Dad says! But you can't just assassinate them, can you? Can you? In Peacemaker, that "solution" wasn't just allowed, it was saluted. The Li'l Capn couldn't see how that made us better than the bad guys, and didn't want to read any more Peacemaker, because it made him itchy.

But then, it was sort of James Bond mixed with Dirty Harry, wasn't it? James Bond had a license to kill, and he killed bad guys, and we all cheered. And the "maverick cop" idea was gaining traction, which would triumph with Dirty Harry and become the standard for cop shows throughout the '70s. "Yeah, they're maverick cops, who break the rules and sometimes shoot people without cause. But they only shoot bad people! And they're going after bad guys who got off due to a liberal technicality, and getting the job done!"

So you can see the pop culture concepts that bubbled up to give us Peacemaker. But for me, a guy who accepted costumed vigilantes without batting an eye, it was a bridge too far.

Then DC got him, and made him crazy. Literally. (He was haunted by the ghost of his father, who was a kommandant of a Nazi death camp.) I actually didn't think that was much of an improvement. Where he went after that I'm not sure. I read Agents of L.A.W., but don't remember it. If he appeared anywhere else, I don't remember that, either.

DOCTOR STRANGE OMNIBUS VOL 2

I have talked you into buying so many volumes in the past that I feel obligated to talk you out of buying things once in a while. I would scratch both the MMW and the OMNI in favor of the MONSTER edition which contains ditko's run in its entirety. When it comes to culling duplicates from my already over-crowded shelves, the question I always ask myself is this: "Whenever I read this run in the future, which version am I going to read?" Unfortunately, comic book publishers do things bass-ackwards from other publishers, and too often release the inferior versions first. I have a good relationship with my LCS and get a better deal than I might otherwise expect so long as I take it in store credit. Good for him, good for me, everybody's happy.

Well, see, the thing is that I already have all of Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange in floppies. And in Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vols. 1-3. And Doctor Strange Omnibus Vol. 1, which pretty much duplicates the omnibus you're suggesting. What I'm debating buying is Doctor Strange Omnibus Vol. 2, which is almost completely Ditko free (Doctor Strange #169-183, Avengers #61, Sub-Mariner #22, Incredible Hulk #126; Marvel Feature #1, a story from Not Brand Echh #13).

The problem is that I am going to get Doctor Strange Omnibus Vol. 3 should it ever happen, which will include Strange's try-out run in Marvel Premiere and some of the early issues of his second eponymous series (if you consider Doctor Strange #169-183 as the first). See, I neglected to get Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vol. 4-5, but did pick up the series starting with Vol. 6 (which begins with Doctor Strange second series #10). The third omnibus will fill that gap nicely.

But do I get the second omnibus? There's no Ditko in it, but it does bridge Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 neatly. OTOH, so does the second half of MMW: Doctor Strange Vol. 2 and all of MMW Doctor Strange Vol. 3, which I already have. Not to mention the fact that I have already read all of these stories when they first came out, and remember them well. (I was about 10; first learned, last forgot.)

But you know, just "talking" it through just now, I've decided. I AM going to get the second omnibus, and I'll decide later what I'm going to put on the shelf and what I'm going to sell when I see how Volume 3 (should it occur) plays out. As both of us know too well, it's far better to buy something now cheaply that we may not want later, than to want something later when the price has quadrupled.

Sort of like Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vols 4-5, which Amazon is selling for about $200 apiece. Gah! Not this boy, thank you. Not when I can buy a $75 omnibus at Instocktrades that covers the same ground.

As long as I'm on the subject of early '70s Doctor Strange, I might as well share this anecdote.

You'll note two other stories in the omnibus that may seem strange -- Sub-Mariner #22, Incredible Hulk #126 -- and let me tell you, it was strange at the time. Also Strange. Because Doctor Strange didn't have a series when those books came out (1970-ish), as his eponymous series had been canceled and Marvel Premiere #3 was two years in the future. But here was Doctor Strange, guest-starring (rather pointlessly, I thought) in Sub-Mariner and Hulk. With that hideous mask on. "What's the point of all this?" thought the Li'l Cap'n, who really hated that mask.

But all soon became clear.

Do you know what Sub-Mariner and Incredible Hulk had in common in 1970? Writer Roy Thomas. And do you know what followed the Doctor Strange guest appearances in those two books? Marvel Feature #1. And what was Marvel Feature? It was a new try-out book, a 25-cent, 52-page extravaganza. And what was the first feature in Marvel Feature?

The Defenders. A new team starring Doctor Strange, Sub-Mariner and the incredible Hulk. Do I have to mention it was written by Roy Thomas?

In those pre-Internet days, things like a guest star by a character who had been canceled set fanboy senses a-tingle. I knew something was up. But until Marvel Feature #1, I didn't know what that was.

Avengers #61 is also in there, which I guess was Roy Thomas giving Doctor Strange another guest spot while his series was in limbo, like Stan Lee did with the Hulk in the early 1960s. But this one was actually really good.

It featured Ymir the Frost Giant and Surtur the Fire Giant coming to Earth to wipe us all out. Doctor Strange was the first to see the peril, and he pulled together whatever ragtag group of Avengers he could find to battle these impossibly powerful, mythical threats. For some reason Thor was unavailable, and I guess Hercules was probably drunk somewhere, maybe with Iron Man. Superman and Batman were on a space mission. (Sorry, wrong publisher.) Anyway, the guys you'd like to have on hand weren't, and Strange was making do with the likes of Hawkeye and Black Knight.

So, you know, the situation was REALLY DESPERATE.

And it was written by Roy Thomas (probably the best writer of the early 1970s) and drawn by John Buscema (who was JOHN BUSCEMA) and I was on the edge of my seat the whole issue. Especially since it started out with this fantastically appropriate line from Robert Frost: "Some say the world will end in ice ..." with a full page of Ymir. Turn the page. "And some say in fire" with a full page of Surtur.

Oh, this was good stuff.

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE: Is that supposed to be the letter "X" or the Roman numeral? If it's the letter, that doesn't really make any sense. Actually, if it's the Roman numeral, that doesn't really make any sense, either. 

It's Roman numeral X, the number 10. I haven't read the series yet, but I assume it has to do with Moira MacTaggert's 10 timelines. I guess we'll see what Wolverine does in each of them.

• "Well, see, the thing is that I already have all of Steve Ditko's Dr. Strange in floppies."

Yeah, my advice wasn't very helpful, was it? And, yes, I know the MONSTER would duplicate (triplicate) material you already own in MMW and OMNI format. But I was trying to convey my excitement about the MONSTER format and contents. I have had to cull many MMWs from my shelf in order to make room for OMNI editions. For example, my MMW FF now begins with v12 because I've replaced v1-11 with OMNIs 1-4. Even that duplicates nine issues, but I need MMW v12 for three issues, #126-128. And MMW Iron Man v13 (which I need for only two issues not duplicated in the Michelinie/Layton OMNI) is even worse!

When I presented the "Which version am I going to read going forward?" advice, I was really thinking of a comment you made a week or two ago about some new format Marvel is launching (that you were planning to buy those). Going back even further, I seem to remember you once considered buying Dark Horse's reprint of EC's "Picto-Fiction" line, even though you already had the Russ Cochran ones. Dark Horse has the advantage of color, but Cochran has the advantage of paper stock. Because "Picto-Fiction" is in b&w anyway, I felt safe in ignoring the Dark Horse one.

Me, I'm perfectly fine (for the most part, with some exceptions such as FF) collecting Masterworks or Archives up to a point, then switching to omnibus format. Yes, the duplication is frustrating, but what's even worse is when there's a gap. For example, I am missing eight issues of Batman between Dark Knight Archives v8 and Golden Age Batman Omnibus v5. 

"Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vols 4-5, which Amazon is selling for about $200 apiece."

The more recent volumes (of any MMW series), believe it or not, command much higher prices than the earlier volumes because fewer of them were printed. When I traded in my MMW FF v1-11, I got much higher trade-in value for the later volumes than the early ones. (It kind of bugged me, too, that one of those volumes was only ever offered in the "garish" trade dress.) 

"It's Roman numeral X, the number 10... I assume it has to do with Moira MacTaggert's 10 timelines."

Yeah, that makes sense. I have pretty much repressed that whole business; I don't even remember the names of the two series, "[Something] of X"...? No, don't tell me; I don't want to know. "[Something] of X" is my "Sins Past/One More Day" of the X-Men. 

• Cap said

DC did a couple of "Action Hero Archives" years back that reprinted all of the 1960s Blue Beetle (both series), Captain Atom and The Question. It might have included Nightshade's solo back-ups, too, I don't remember. I was appreciative, because I was missing a couple of the pre-Ditko Blue Beetles, and maybe a Strange Suspense Stories Captain Atom or two. What they didn't include was all of the other "Action Heroes" from Charlton, which I would dearly love to see collected. That would include Peacemaker (all of, I think, 13 stories), Judomaster, Sarge Steel, Son of Vulcan and Peter Cannon, Thunderbolt. Fightin' Five is optional.

Cap, the first volume was only Captain Atom, as I think he had the longest running series. The second you got more Captain Atom along with Blue Beetle and the Question. I never got around to reading either one, but I did grab the second volume and there was no mention of Nightshade on the covers.

There's nothing memorable about it, except for the Pat Boyette art, which I don't particularly like, but find strangely fascinating.

I am right there with you on Pat Boyette's art.
  • I wasn't going to watch the Peacemaker show. Suicide Squad (the new one) was a good movie but I wasn't enamored of the way Peacemaker was written. Based upon your recommendation I will be watching it now.

Captain Comics said:

The Action Heroes Archives only had Nightshade as part of the Captain Atom stories. Her solo stories aren't there. I picked up what are presumably unauthorized reprints of Nightshade (all) and Sarge Steel (all). Like so-called bootleg movies, IMO not making them available to the public is akin to book-burning. When I have had a bootleg movie or one I recorded from TV that later became available in an official DVD I have replaced it with the real deal. I will do the same with Nightshade and Sarge Steel if they ever reprint them officially.

But then, it was sort of James Bond mixed with Dirty Harry, wasn't it? James Bond had a license to kill, and he killed bad guys, and we all cheered. And the "maverick cop" idea was gaining traction, which would triumph with Dirty Harry and become the standard for cop shows throughout the '70s. "Yeah, they're maverick cops, who break the rules and sometimes shoot people without cause. But they only shoot bad people! And they're going after bad guys who got off due to a liberal technicality, and getting the job done!"

Actually, the second Dirty Harry movie - - -Magnum Force (1973) - - - had Harry Callahan up against a group of motorcycle cops and a renegade high-ranking cop who were murdering bad guys who had been acquitted. He opposed their actions and stopped them. I saw all of the Dirty Harry movies and he never killed anybody who wasn't armed and about to kill him or someone else.

The DC 6-issue limited series The L.A.W. (Living Assault Weapons) featured all of the costumed Charlton heroes, plus Sarge Steel. The covers of the six issues formed a double-triptych (a sextych?). I know I bought them and have them somewhere. If I actually read them I don't remember the story. Agents of Law was a Dark Horse 6-parter featuring unrelated characters.

• Richard Willis said:

Actually, the second Dirty Harry movie - - -Magnum Force (1973) - - - had Harry Callahan up against a group of motorcycle cops and a renegade high-ranking cop who were murdering bad guys who had been acquitted.

I apologize for blaming the "maverick cop who gets things done" trend on Dirty Harry, if it's not true. Although, in a subtextual sense, I think it is. But I'll find some different early examples.

Still, the one thing I remember about Magnum Force is that the field leader of the maverick motorcycle cops was played by David Soul, who later came to fame as Kenneth Hutchinson ...

... the Hutch of Starsky & Hutch, a maverick cop who got things done. :)

This reply was deleted.