DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1045

AQUAMEN #6

BATMAN: FORTRESS #3 (OF 8)

BATMAN: ONE DARK KNIGHT #3 (OF 3)

BATMAN: REBIRTH DELUXE COLLECTION BOOK 6 HC

DC MECH #1 (OF 6)

Story: Kenny Porter | Art/Cover: Baldemar Rivas | 32 pages | $3.99

At the end of World War II, Earth was invaded by giant mechanized parademons from a planet called Apokolips. Earth’s protectors, the Justice Society of America, were devastated, and with them, the age of superheroes came to an end and the era of the Mech began.

In the ensuing years, the world has stockpiled colossal battle suits piloted by elite warriors, waiting for the day Apokolips returns. But when Kal-El, the last son of a dying world, crash-lands in Metropolis with his own war suit, he’ll face down two of Earth’s finest Mech fighters, the Flash and Batman. The dawn of a brave new mechanized DC Universe is here from the rising star creative team of Kenny Porter (The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive, Fearless) and Baldemar Rivas (Robins, Batman: Urban Legends).

DEATHSTROKE INC. #11

DETECTIVE COMICS #1062

Story: Ram V & Simon Spurrier | Art: Rafael Albuquerque & Dani | Covers: Evan Cagle, Inhyuk Lee,  Lee Bermejo, J.H. Williams III | $4.99

A new ongoing creative team is taking over the storied Detective Comics, with writer Ram V (Catwoman, The Many Deaths of Laila Starr) and artist Rafael Albuquerque (American Vampire, Superman/Batman).

Starting with Detective Comics #1062, Batman finds himself in a strange, dark Gotham City as he’s pulled into a high Gothic story like nothing he’s seen, or heard, before.

The story starts with “Gotham Nocturne” part 1 of 4: “Overture.” Something is terribly wrong with Batman. No matter the tests Bruce takes, nor the numbers he counts, the greatest detective in the world can’t pin down the source of this creeping dread — of his own inner demons and a looming mortality. He’s not alone in the grips of this terror, as it seems real demons are creeping through the shadows of Gotham City, answering the clarion call of a strange melody that’s haunting Gotham … and seems to be turning its denizens into something else.

The curtains are rising on a new, terrifying mystery as Batman tries to figure out what’s happening to both the city he protects and his own mind in this lush, operatic mystery.

Writer Ram V said of joining Detective Comics, “It's a thrill to be writing a title with the kind of history and pedigree that Detective Comics has. When the opportunity first came across my desk, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. For me, the draw of Batman as a character and that of the world around him had always been this blanket of tragedy that lay above it all. So, with that perspective, ‘Gotham Nocturne’ is a quintessentially Batman story, told with the aesthetics of a gothic opera.”

He added, “I'm lucky to be working with a fantastic group of creatives and editors on the project. It is hard to envision a more perfect set of collaborators than Rafael Albuquerque and Dave Stewart. Both of them are already titans in their own right but I think they are great fits particularly for the aesthetic lens of the story. I cannot wait for readers to experience what we're creating. It is an ambitious story. One that is hopefully worthy of the title that puts the DC in DC!"

Artist Rafael Albuquerque also shared his excitement about telling this story. “Batman is a legend we all grew up with and most of us spent a lot of time just imagining what we would do if we were in this position. That’s how serious Batman is to me and I have been lucky enough to do a little bit of it over my time as an artist. Ram V brings something special to the table. Unique. Ram’s story not only matches my vision of this beloved character but also twists it, elevating it to another level, making me want to be part of this special new take, that I think is going to be as special to the fans as it’s been for me.”

Each issue of Detective Comics will also feature a back-up story by writer Si Spurrier (John Constantine: Hellblazer, Suicide Squad: Blaze) exploring other stories of Gotham City — starting with Jim Gordon’s return as a private investigator. Artist Dani (Arkham City: Order of the World) joins Si to tell this noir-tinged story as Gordon’s investigation weaves into Batman’s. Artist Ivan Reis will also return to the book in Issue #1066, as the story continues to wind through the shadowed back-alleys of Gotham City.

• Hey, backup stories! I always appreciate backup stories. It's like sprinkles on a donut.

THE FLASH VOL. 16: WALLY WEST RETURNS TPB

HARLEY QUINN #17

ROBIN #16

SANDMAN UNIVERSE PRESENTS: NIGHTMARE COUNTRY #4

SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 2: AMBUSHED TPB

SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW TPB

• Does this belong on my bookshelf, Legionnaires? That is to say, is it a good story? And/or, does Tom King advance/expand the Maid of Steel in any significant way? Or is this just an upscale running-in-place story that will sink without a ripple?

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE #1 (OF 3)

Story: Mark Russell | Art/Cover: Mike Allred | Variants: Steve Rude, Nick Derington | 80 pages | $9.99

A SUPERMAN CLASSIC IN THE MAKING!

Meet  Clark  Kent,  a  young  reporter  who  just  learned  that  the  world  will  soon  come  to  an  end  (Crisis  on  Infinite Earths) and there is nothing he can do to save it. Sounds like a job for his alter ego ... Superman! Superman: Space Age is from critically acclaimed writer Mark Russell (One-Star  Squadron, The Flintstones) and Eisner-winner artist Mike Allred (Silver Surfer, Bowie: Stardust, Rayguns & Moonage Daydreams).

"This is a dream project for me,” said Mark Russell. “Not only because I get to work with a genius like Mike Allred, but because I've always found Superman such a philosophically fascinating character, one which forces us to ask how different would the world be if we chose to be our best selves?"

After years of standing idle, the young man from Krypton defies the wishes of his fathers to come out to the world as the first superhero of the Space Age. As each decade passes and each new danger emerges, he wonders if this is the one that will kill him and everyone he loves. Superman realizes that even good intentions are not without their backlash as the world around him transforms into a place as determined to destroy itself as he is to save it.

"SUPER pumped to finally reveal what we've been working on in secret for so long,” said Mike Allred.  “Easily my biggest project for DC yet. Working with Mark Russel and his brilliant script has been a blast!  Packed with head-spinning iconography, top tier characters, twists, thrills and chills, resulting in a powerful instant classic epic! It's been simultaneously intimidating and inspiring to meet the challenge of illustrating this phenomenal project!

Uniting  the  critically acclaimed writer Mark Russell and Eisner-winner Mike Allred for the first time,  this  series promises fans an unforgettable journey through U.S. history and culture starring our beloved characters.

• Assuming good reviews, I'll get this in HC and place it next to Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, Superman for all Seasons and All-Star Superman.

SWAMP THING #15 (OF 16)

TASK FORCE Z #10

YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #1 (OF 6)

Story: Greg Weisman | Art/Cover: Christopher Jones | Variants: Meghan Hetrick, Travis Mercer | 32 pages | $3.99 | Card stock variant $4.99 

Queen Perdita has been kidnapped! Mysterious armored assailants have snatched the Vlatavan royal out from beneath Bowhunter Security, leaving Green Arrow and Black Canary poisoned and comatose in the process! Now a rallying cry echoes around the globe, and across super-teams, to band together and rescue Perdita! Continuing the story of Young Justice: Phantoms, now streaming on HBO MAX, is the six-issue, digital-first Young Justice: Targets.

Young Justice: Targets is written by Young Justice: Phantoms showrunner Greg Weisman, with art by storyboard artist Christopher Jones.

"It's been terrific working with Christopher Jones again on another Young Justice comic, and I'm really excited for the fans to read Young Justice: Targets,” said Writer Greg Weisman. “It's a fully canon six-issue mini-series, picking up right where Young Justice: Phantoms left off, with plenty of action, nearly our entire cast, and multiple new revelations."

"It's been an amazing journey years after working with Greg Weisman on Young Justice comics, getting the opportunity to help create storyboards for the most recent season of the TV show, and now returning to produce more comics,” said Artist Christopher Jones. “Between my growth as an artist and the fabulous color by Jason Wright I think these are the best-looking comics I've ever had a hand in creating. I love getting to help tell the stories of these characters, and I can't wait for fans to see where things go after Young Justice: Phantoms."

• I found the Young Justice cartoon to be kind of a downer, and stopped watching it during, I think, the second season.

ZATANNA: THE JEWEL OF GRAVESEND TPB

Story: Alys Arden | Art/Cover: Jacquelin De Leon | Letters: Ariana Maher | 208 pages | $16.99

There's more to the mobsters, mystics and mermaids at the last stop on the D/F/Q trains: Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

Zatanna is not your typical New Yorker. She walks her giant rabbit on a leather leash down the boardwalk, lives in a colossal architectural wonder known as the Golden Elephant, had her first kiss in the Haunted Hell Gate ride — and wouldn’t have it any other way.

But the time for having fun in Luna Park comes to an end when a mystic’s quest for a powerful jewel unravels everything Zatanna thought she knew about herself and her beloved neighborhood. Mysteries and magic surround her as she reveals the truth about her family’s legacy, and confronts the illusion that has been cast over her entire life.

From the bewitching mind behind The Casquette Girls, Alys Arden, and with enchanting artwork by Jacquelin de Leon, comes the story of a girl stuck in the middle of a magical rivalry and forced to choose between love, family, and magic without hurting anyone ... or worse.

• There's a rumor Dua Lipa will play Zatanna in the DCEU. I suppose to bring in the youngs? So good, if true? I guess?

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

JOHN CARTER OF MARS #4

RED SONJA (2021) #11

VAMPIRELLA: YEAR ONE #1

Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Ergun Gunduz & Giovanni Timpano | Covers: Collette Turner, Lucio Parrillo, Derrick Chew, Guillem March, Cosplay (Rachel Hollon) | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

REDISCOVER THE BEGINNINGS OF A LEGEND!

Following the explosive conclusion to Vampirella/Dracula: Unholy comes the next chapter in Christopher Priest's Vampirella saga! Wanted for murder, and with every demon, shaman, vampire, whack-job zealot, reporter, and law enforcement officer on Earth hunting for her, Vampirella has taken refuge in an undisclosed location where she questions why she came to our world in the first place.

Critically acclaimed European artist Ergun Gunduz rejoins Christopher Priest for an expanded reimagining of Forrest J Ackerman's classic origin story, with framing sequences set in the present day illustrated by Giovanni Timpano, the story explores the exotic world of Drakulon, the pressures that cause Vampirella to leave, and her first days on Earth, arriving on the day of the Apollo moon landing in 1969. Lost, alone, unable to speak or read our language, Vampirella makes her first friends (Pantha, Pendragon) and runs afoul of new enemies in this multifaceted period piece that revisits the world of the original 1970s Warren stories!

Discovering to her horror that her journey to Earth was actually a one-way trip, Vampirella grapples with depression and intense loneliness as she starts to build a new life and new community at the turbulent close of an unforgettable decade! Grab your go-go boots and Afro Sheen and join us for this most unusual expansion of a classic era!

• "Drakulon" always made me roll my eyes. That should have been retconned away long ago. Or the spelling changed to "D'rk-L'on" or something.

IDW PUBLISHING

CANTO: TALES OF THE UNNAMED WORLD #2

D&D RAVENLOFT ORPHAN OF AGONY ISLE #2

MY LITTLE PONY #3

SLEEPING BEAUTIES VOL 2 HC

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #51

TMNT ONGOING #131

TRANSFORMERS: SHATTERED GLASS VOL 1 GN

IMAGE COMICS

BEWARE THE EYE OF ODIN #2

BOLERO TPB

Story: Wyatt Kennedy | Art/Cover: Luana Vecchio | $17.99

It's Christmas in snowy Los Angeles, and Devyn "Dagger" Dagny is heartbroken. Her 12-year relationship with her ex Natasha has just come to a tragic end, she's an aimless college dropout floundering at her job, and now her best friend is getting married to the wrong guy.

But what if she could start all over again?

A mysterious stranger. Something called an "anti-door" and a "mother-key." Only 53 chances. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets Locke and Key as writer WYATT KENNEDY and artist LUANA VECCHIO take you on an emotional journey across the multiverse.

• Now I'm going to have Ravel in my head for the rest of the day. Which I will enjoy!

DEADLY CLASS #54

GHOST CAGE TPB

GUNSLINGER SPAWN VOL 1 TPB

HELLCOP #9

THE HOLLOWS ONE-SHOT

Story: Chris Ryall | Art/Cover: Sam Kieth | Variant: Ashley Wood | $9.99

Critically acclaimed artist Sam Kieth and writer Chris Ryall team up for a science fiction adventure in the upcoming The Hollows.

In this specially priced, extra-length comic, readers are transported to a near-future Japan, where spectral, once-human husks prey on the unfortunates who couldn’t find salvation in the skyscraper-like trees that now dominate the decimated landscape. A discredited scientist works furiously to find a cure, until a one-eyed orphan girl and her pet, uh, Urp, force him to rethink everything he knows …

“Working with Sam Kieth is always an invigorating, inspiring time,” said Ryall. "The Hollows was a true blending of our ideas, worlds, and styles into something wholly unique and engaging for me as his co-creator. And I hope people who read it feel the same way."

I HATE THIS PLACE #3

Story: Kyle Starks | Art/Cover: Artyom Topilin & Lee Loughridge | $3.99

Today Skybound revealed a first look at I Hate This Place #3, the latest issue of the buzzed-about supernatural horror series from the all-star team of Kyle Starks (Assassin Nation, The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton), artist Artyom Topilin (Ice Cream Man Presents Quarantine Comix Special), colorist Lee Loughridge (Deadly Class, The Good Asian), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Birthright, Manifest Destiny).

At their wits' end, Gabby and Trudy have called on the help of famous ghost hunter Dante Howitzer. But can he actually help with the mysterious and terrifying phenomena occupying this land? Or will he find out exactly why the woods are off-limits?

“A comic coming from one can’t-miss creator and a quickly rising star; don’t miss out on what’s sure to be one of Image’s most talked-about new comics this year.” — ComicBook

“With fantastic, tense scripting and stellar visual work, this is a must-read for fans of off-kilter horror comics.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

“The creative team behind I Hate This Place is firing on all cylinders. Instead of saying I hate this place, readers will be yelling, 'I love this book'.” — Geek’d Out

IMAGE 30TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY #4

THE MAGIC ORDER 3 #1 (OF 6)

Story: Mark Millar | Art/Cover: Gigi Cavenago | $3.99

Superstar writer Mark Millar launches the third volume of his smash-hit horror series with artistic genius Gigi Cavenago (Batman), The Magic Order 3 #1.

"I originally created The Magic Order as a TV series at Netflix, but convinced the guys to let me do a comic too and it's the best move I've ever made," said Millar. "I've been doing this job since I was 19 and this is my own personal favorite work. I've also had a chance to work with the absolute best artists in the industry here, spoiled with Olivier Coipel and Stuart Immonen on the first two columes, now Italian stallion Gigi Cavenago on the third. I want to try and get volume four out before the live action show streams so there's four trades on the shelves when it launches. So far so good!"

So far readers have met the American and British members of the Magic Order. Now it’s time to meet the Asian chapter, including a brilliant new major player in the upcoming live-action Netflix show — Sammy Liu. This issue will be a huge collector’s item.

• At what point do you reckon Netflix is gonna realize it got suckered giving Mark Millar all those millions for IP that has yet to produce a single successful TV show?
  • Here's a preview.

PUBLIC DOMAIN #2

RADIANT BLACK #16

Story: Kyle Higgins | Art/Cover: Marcello Costa | $3.99

Ukrainian artist Vlad Legostaev is teaming up with Kyle Higgins and Marcelo Costa for an exciting Radiant Black variant — the proceeds for which will go toward supporting The Ukraine Humanitarian Fund relief efforts.

“Vlad’s cover work is a stunning addition to the lineup of excellent artists we get to work with, but what makes this special cover particularly exciting for us is its potential to help support a people in need right now,” said Higgins.

In Radiant Black #16 — for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Piece by piece, Marshall has managed to dismantle the EpicFront empire.

RADIANT RED #5

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE #10

ROGUE SUN #6

SINS OF BLACK FLAMINGO #2

SPAWN SCORCHED #8

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6

Story: Zeb Wells | Art: Ed Mcguinness | Covers John Romita Jr., Ed Mcguinness, Peach Momoko, Bengal, Ben Su, Mark Bagley, Humberto Ramos, Julian Totino Tedesco, Jim Cheung,  Skottie Young, John Cassaday, Maria Wolf, Taurin Clarke | Teen+ | $9.99

Hitting stands the same month as Spider-Man’s 60th anniversary, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #6 will mark an incredible 900 issues of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN! The landmark issue will be a giant-sized spectacular that will see new series writer Zeb Wells teaming up with all-star artist Ed McGuinness who will bring his iconic art to the title for the first time. Taking place in the aftermath of the new run’s first arc, Peter Parker is still reeling from his brutal battle with Tombstone and now must contend with a terrifying take on the iconic SINISTER SIX!

Someone from Spider-Man’s past has captured the Sinister Six and used them to create the truly terrifying SINISTER ADAPTOID, a being equipped with the abilities of Spidey’s greatest foes: Doctor Octopus, Vulture, Kraven the Hunter, Electro, Mysterio and Sandman. It’ll be one of the biggest adventures in Spider-History and you will not believe the ending!

“There's nothing I love more than a giant-size Spider-Man anniversary issue, and I'm pulling out all the — ah, what does it matter what I think. ED MCGUINNESS is drawing a super-sized Spider-story. Who isn't going to check this out???” Wells added.

“Zeb and Ed are trying to do the impossible — top Lee & Ditko’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1! And that’s not the only thing that #900 has — including some shocks that are going to make you say WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?!” Editor Nick Lowe promised.

• Anyone want to figure out which comics constitute the first 899 issues of Amazing Spider-Man? Here, I'll start you off: Amazing Spider-Man (first series) #-1, 0, 1-441. OK, now you're on your own.
  • Here's a preview.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC (4TH PTG)

• Collecting Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #1-38, Amazing Spider-Man Annual (1964) #1-2, Strange Tales Annual #2 and material from Amazing Fantasy (1962) #15 and Fantastic Four Annual #1.

ANT-MAN #1 (OF 5)

Story: Al Ewing | Art/Cover: Tom Reilly | Teen+ | $3.99

Ant-Man, one of Marvel’s most iconic heroes, will celebrate his big 60th anniversary with a new limited series! Al Ewing, the writer who redefined Hulk in IMMORTAL HULK, now sets his sights on Ant-Man, delving into the character’s unique history to examine every hero who’s ever taken on the mantle! Joining him on this epic journey will be artist Tom Reilly. Known for his acclaimed work on the current THE THING series, Reilly’s stylish art will take readers on a brilliant adventure that begins in Marvel’s silver age and concludes in a strange new future. Each thrilling issue will focus on a different Ant-Man from Hank Pym to Eric O’Grady to Scott Lang as a brand-new future Ant-Man seeks to connect them all so they can face off against a threat only they can hope to defeat!

It all kicks off in ANT-MAN #1, which will flash back to the early days of Hank Pym’s career as the astonishing Ant-Man! It’s date night for Hank and his girlfriend Janet Van Dyne, but nobody told that to Ant-Man’s enemies! Watch as Hank’s ant-agonists band together to finally take down the scientific adventurer! But will anyone come to his rescue? And who is the mysterious stranger who stalks him?

"For Ant-Man's ant-iversary, we wanted to go BIG with the world's smallest hero — burrowing an ant tunnel right through his 60-year history and far beyond, from the wild and wooly 1960s all the way to a future you'll have to see to believe!” Ewing promises. “You'll find out how Henry Pym, Scott Lang and Eric O'Grady impacted each other's lives in ways they never knew themselves — but who's the mysterious final member of this Ant-tastic Four? Tremble with ant-icipation, true believer — the answers are coming soon to a hill near you!"

“I’m very excited to work with Al again, this time to celebrate, and add to, the legacy of Ant Man!” Reilly says. “Several different people have taken the name, and Al’s written a fun story that gives them all a chance to shine. I also look forward to working with Jordie Bellaire again, her colors elevate any book that she’s on. There’s lots of inspiration to be taken from Ant Man’s rich artistic history, and there’ll be plenty of room for both of us to experiment in this series. I can’t wait for everyone to check it out!”

• Is Hank Pym still dead? (Well, not dead dead, but floating in space as part of Ultron.) Is Eric O'Grady still dead? (Well, not dead dead, but a sentient LMD.) I've kind of lost track.
  • Here's a preview.

AVENGERS BY HICKMAN COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL 5 TPB

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #3

DAREDEVIL: WOMAN WITHOUT FEAR TPB

GAMBIT #1 (OF 5)

Story: Chris Claremont | Art: Sid Kotian | Colors: Espen Grundetgern | Letters: VC’s Clayton Cowles | Covers: Whilce Portacio & Alex Sinclair, Salvador Larroca & Edgar Delgado, Inhyuk Lee, Peach Momoko, Scott Williams & Sebastian Cheng | Teen+ | $3.99

The legend returns! Chris Claremont, the writer who defined the X-Men and crafted the franchise’s most influential stories, is back with a brand-new X-Men saga starring one his most popular co-creations — GAMBIT! Featuring artwork by rising star Sid Kotian, GAMBIT will be a five-issue limited series that invites fans back to the exciting time when Gambit and a de-aged Storm forged an everlasting bond as they thieved their way along the Mississippi River!

The series will unearth a wide range of previously untold adventures, from a brush with the Shadow King to an array of earthbound and out of this world escapades, that gives Claremont a chance to further explore Gambit’s path to becoming a heroic X-Man as well as reveal new insights into another trademark character of his, Storm, at a pivotal moment in her history. Get your first look at this story of action, intrigue and revenge in new interior artwork and variant covers by all-star artists Salvador Larroca, Peach Momoko, Scott Williams and InHyuk Lee!

When asked why he chose to revisit this specific era, Claremont told AiPT Comics: “Because I considered it somewhere that provided the opportunity for a whole-lotta-fun to be had by all involved. Think about it: who notices kids? The way Remy dresses, not to mention his great body and gorgeous looks, most of the time all eyes turn towards him. [Kid] ‘Ro remains functionally invisible. Target looks to Remy, ‘Ro picks his pocket. But the true reason, frankly, is that the story turned out to be a whole lot more fun this way.”

• I think Gambit is one of my least-favorite X-Men. Bottom three, anyway. He just can't work as written.
  • A guy with red corneas and black sclera is not going to be a successful ladies' man. His accent is a cliche. His costume looks like it's from outer space, which is impractical for a sneak thief. I understand his charging-things-up power, but how do you throw a cardboard playing card for any distance or accuracy?
  • And I still argue that wearing a duster in New Orleans is preposterous. Have any of his writers ever been to New Orleans? Maybe one of his mutant powers is resistance to heat stroke. Regardless, he'd really stand out in a crowd, since in most cases he'd be the only one wearing any kind of coat.
  • Here's a preview.

GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL #1 (OF )

Story: Peter David | Art: Juanan Ramírez | Covers: Mike Mckone, Dan Jurgens, Peach Momoko, Juni Ba | Teen+ | $3.99

He’s back! Recently resurrected in ‘The Last of the Marvels,’ the latest story arc in Kelly Thompson’s hit run on CAPTAIN MARVEL, Genis-Vell will go on to star in an all-new limited series this June written by the creator who helped define him, the legendary Peter David! Announced earlier today at ComicsPRO, GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL will be a five-issue epic featuring artwork by electrifying artist Juanan Ramírez (DARKHAWK). The series will see the fan favorite Captain Marvel reunite with his former partner, Rick Jones, for the first time in decades for an adventure that spans the Marvel cosmos and a mystery involving Death itself.

Both now back in the land of the living, Genis-Vell and Rick Jones are about to come crashing back into each other! Can Rick Jones save Genis — and himself — before they both fade out of existence? Is Rick’s ex-wife, Marlo, the key? Find out in this surprising saga that will chart a new course through the Marvel Universe for Genis, Rick, and more!

“I never thought I'd have the opportunity to return to Genis, what with him being dead and all. But apparently death never lasts...which is actually one of the themes of the limited series I came up with,” David said. “It's great to be back with Genis, Rick, Marlo and the whole Genis-Vell gang.”

• Man, am I Debbie Downer today. But here, sadly, is my second-least favorite Captain Marvel, part of the slacker superhero trend of the '80s. I really like Peter David's work, but this character never did it for me.
  • (My least favorite is the robot who yelled "Split!" in the '50s.)
  • Here's a preview.

HULK BY DONNY CATES VOL 1: SMASHTRONAUT TPB

IRON CAT #2 (OF 5)

IRON MAN VOL 3: BOOKS KORVAC III COSMIC IRON MAN TPB

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #22

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #3

STRANGE #4

THOR BY DONNY CATES VOL 4: GOD OF HAMMERS

VARIANTS #2 (OF 5)

VENOM #9

Story: Al Ewing | Art: Bryan Hitch | Inks: Andrew Currie | Covers:  Bryan Hitch & Alex Sinclair, Paulo Siqueira & Rachelle Rosenberg | Teen+ | $3.99

WHO IS BEDLAM?

Check out a classified version of Paulo Siqueira’s VENOM #10 variant cover and be there when Bedlam, the chaotic force behind Eddie and Dylan Brock’s recent troubles, reveals his identity in VENOM #9!

WILD CARDS: THE DRAWING OF CARDS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Paul Cornell | Art: Mike Hawthorne | Cover: Steve Morris | Teen+ | $4.99

Marvel fans will get a chance to enter George R.R. Martin’s beloved WILD CARDS universe this June!

For the first time in comic book form, witness the very beginning of the Wild Cards mythos with an adaptation of the very first stories in the original Wild Cards novel. Based on stories by Harold Waldrop, Roger Zelazny and series master-mind and editor, George R.R. Martin, Wild Cards is a fascinating saga set in a whole new world reshaped by the emergence of superpowers. The limited series, titled THE DRAWING OF CARDS, will be written by a team of comic superstars, writer Paul Cornell and artist Mike Hawthorne, and serve as a perfect entry point for Wild Cards newcomers and a must-have new reimagining for Wild Cards aficionados!

Spanning more than 25 novels, 20 short stories, and written by more than 40 authors over three decades, the Wild Cards series tells the story of an alternate history where Earth is home to super-powered individuals. When a human is infected with the alien “Wild Card” virus, the odds are that they will be killed… which is referred to as “drawing the black queen”. Of those that survive, the bulk of them become “jokers”, left with some strange mutated form. A lucky few are called “aces”, those gifted with super powers they can put to use towards heroic goals … or villainous ones.

“Wild Cards is still a unique take on super heroes, a creation story that’s influenced everything since, but still maintains its power,” Cornell said. “It’s an honor and a pleasure to bring all these wonderful stories to their natural home at Marvel, and I hope to give George, Melinda and the rest of the Wild Cards Collective the credit they deserve for making the super hero myth new again. Plus: just look at that art!”

"As my fans may already know, the Wild Cards World holds a special place in my heart, so to have the privilege of announcing that an industry titan like MARVEL is going to produce the narrative from the beginning as a comic book brings me no end of joy," Martin added.

WOLVERINE: PATCH #4

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS — MUTANTS 101 TPB

PS ARTBOOKS

• It's another big week of releases for PS Artbooks. Feel free to skip over this section to "More Comics" if you're not interested.

PS ARTBOOKS FACSIMILE: CHILLING TALES #13, 15, 17

Art: Matt Fox, Vince Napoli | $19.99 each

Here comes a three-issue line-up from the pen of the legendary Matt Fox of Chilling Tales, well known for magazines the likes of Weird Tales itself. PS Artbooks offerse a veritable triptych of horror, fear and downright nastiness set to take you to places you wouldn't ever wanna go.

All of these comics have been faithfully reproduced with all scans reworked to bring them back as close as possible to the dizzy days of the originals, with glossy covers and interiors printed on environmentally friendly matt Carbon Based paper. In addition, an oversized A3 cover reproduction on card and ready to frame is included, with an embossed seal identifying the limited status of this imprint. This is the future of comics right here Henry, so make sure you don't miss out a single title.

Chilling Tales #13 (December 1952), #15 (April 1953) and #17 (October 1953) are from Youthful.

PS ARTBOOKS PRESENTS: CLASSIC ADVENTURE COMICS VOLUME 5

PS Softee edition | 184 pages | $56.99 (Slipcase), $46.99 (HC), $29.99 (Softee)

CLASSIC ADVENTURES Volume 5 is back to WWII with a series of remarkable accounts of some of the fiercest battles including GET THE BISMARK! Throughout the vast North Atlantic steamed units of the British fleet, alone against a powerful Axis Navy. Their mission was to to fulfill the command. This book also includes the story of the Japanese attack on the American fleet at PEARL HARBOR. The Japanese lost 28 planes ... the U.S. half of the Pacific Fleet. It all took place in 120 minutes!

THE DEATH MARCH OF BATAAN is a retelling of the brutal death march of Bataan. "Lieutenant John F. Kennedy, USNR" tells the story of President Kennedy on PT boat #109. The great DESERT FOX falls before the surging onslaught of British might! And all featuring the stunning artwork of the great Sam Glanzman (although not a household name among the general public, the modest Sam Glanzman had many fans within the industry).

This volume features Combat #1-5 (October/November 1961-July/September 1962) from Dell.

PS ARTBOOKS PRESENTS: SCREAM #1

PS Artbooks Magazine | 68 pages | $18.99

Writers and Artists include Brendan Lynch, Gray Morrow, Norman Nodel, Stephen Hickman, Raymond Everett Kinstler, Alan Weiss, Paul Reinman, Alvin Hollingsworth, Vince Alascia, Mario Acquaviva.

Skywald's SCREAM #1, according to Al Hewetson’s introduction, was in response to readers’ opinions as expressed in the Bunch of Questions survey and was first published as a black-and-white comic magazine in August 1973. If you're brave enough take a peek, we’ve got "The Strange Painting of Jay Crumb" a spoof on underground cartoonists Jay Lynch & Robert Crumb by Felipe de la Rosa; and "The Comics Macabre" by Al Hewetson and Maelo Cintron, featuring characters based on Seduction Of The Innocent author Fredric Wertham & Comics Code Authority president Len Darvin as well as Hewetson, Herschel Waldman & other Skywald staffers. In the story Darvin and Wertham visit the Skywald offices to complain about the horror comics, get into an argument and kill Hewetson, whereupon tiny versions of Skywald’s Heap, Frankenstein’s Monster and others come off comic pages and kill Wertham and Darvin. Hewetson sent a copy of the story to Wertham, with whom he corresponded for a number of years but, according to Hewetson, Wertham didn’t get the point. Don’t hang around — these horrors will be gone by sunrise!

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: FORBIDDEN WORLDS VOLUME 19

PS Softee edition | 216 pages | $29.99

Creators include Ogden Whitney, Gerald McCann, Chic Stone, Paul Reinman, Pete Costanza, Harry Lazarus, John Forte, Kurt Schaffenberger, Tom Hickey, Emil Gershwin, John Rosenberger and Edd Ashe.

This volume covers Forbidden Worlds #112-116 (July 1963-November/December 1963) frrom ACG.

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: AMAZING ADVENTURES VOLUME 1PS Softee editon | 216 pages | $29.99

Oh boy, we’ve got an out-and-out doozy for you this time! Limited stock availability!

We have all SIX issues as ‘CHASER COVER’ variants for you to collect of Ziff Davis’ AMAZING ADVENTURES, available for the very first time in our handy SOFTEE format!

Brim full with work from the likes of Murphy Anderson, Ogden Whitney, Wally Wood, Alex Schomburg, Frank Giacoia, Bernie Krigstein, Norman Saunders, Ross Andru and a host of other talented writers and artists. I could say more — like how #2 contains "The Steel Monster," a kickass riff on Ted Sturgeon’s "Kildozer" yarn from 1944 (also homaged by Marvel some 20 years later)!

This volume features issues Amazing Adventures #1-6 (1950-1952) from Ziff-Davis.

Which cover will you choose?

• Hardcover and Slipcase editions shipped some time ago.

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: THE BEYOND VOLUME 2

PS Softee edition | 208 pages | $29.99

The penultimate volume of Ace Magazines’ THE BEYOND is brand new to the PS Artbooks Softee racks, fellow comic book fans, and features writers and artists such as John Chilly, Ace Baker, Lin Streeter, Lou Cameron, Dick Beck, Jim McLaughlin, Louis Zansky, Al Eadeh, Gene Colan, Sy Grudko, Charles Nicholas, Ken Rice and Chic Stone.

So, just when you thought it was gonna be safe to put your wallet away, think again cos here comes even more fun ‘n’ games in the form of ghouls and cadavers, vampires and ghosts ... plus an occasional slice of far out Sci-Fi - but then it’s PS Artbooks you warriors, so get with the program.

This second volume features issues #6-10 of the Ace Magazines publication The Beyond (September 1951-April 1952). Digitally enhanced and faithfully reproduced.

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: BLACKHAWK VOLUME 1

232 pages | $32.99

The first in an 18-volume series in PS ARTBOOKS popular SOFTEE format, featuring the origin of Blackhawk from Military Comics and the first appearance in his own magazine, illustrated by Will Eisner and Reed Crandall.

This volume features Military Comics #1 (1941) and Blackhawk #9-12 (Winter 1944-Autumn 1946)

• Wondering why Blackhawk begins at issue #9? Because it picked up the numbering of Uncle Sam Quarterly, canceled with issue #8.
  • It looks like this series will reprint Blackhawk only, with just the first Military Comics adventure included. That's a shame. The series should reprint all Blackhawk adventures chronologically, a practice which has become the standard in Golden Age DC omnibuses. Maybe someday.
  • And evidently, there will be no HC or Slipcase editions, much to my chagrin.
  • I've checked out Gwandanaland's version on Amazon, and only Blackhawk Vols. 7-10 (reprinting Blackhawk #42-68) are currently available in HC. I found parts of the Military/Modern run in various formats, but I'm not sure all of it was available in a single format. I'll wait until I see what I want.

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: PLANET COMICS VOLUME 14

PS Softee edition | 208 pages | $26.99

Packed with crazy heroes and villains on far-flung and distant planets, drawn by Joe Doolin, Lily Renee, Chester Martin, August Froehlich, Josef John Cavallo, Murphy Anderson, Ruben Moreira, Bob Lubbers and George Evans.

This volume features Planet Comics #43-46 (July 1946-January 1947 from Fiction House.

PS ARTBOOKS PRESENTS: CLASSIC SCI-FI COMICS VOLUME 5

Art: Alex Toth, Ross Andru, Murphy Anderson, John Celardo, Art Saaf, Ralph Mayo | $56.99 (Slipcase), $19.99 (Softee)

We've done it again, with another fantastic collection of absolute vintage Sci-Fi comic gems, PS Artbooks Presents: Classic Sci-Fi Comics Volume 5. Fantastic from Youthful, featuring Captain Science, aka Gordon Dane, is a sci-fi hero who fought all manner of outer space villains including flying saucers, monster gods, alien spawn and even domestic traitors. And from Pines' Fantastic Worlds come Lieutenant Commander Bruce Hunter and Captain Jon Jax, the Space Ace.

Collects Fantastic #8-9 (1952) from Youthful and Fantastic Worlds #5-7 (1952-1953) from Pines.

• The hardcover shipped some time ago.

PS ARTBOOKS MAGAZINE: EERIE #1

PS Softee edition | 36 Pages | $16.99

It was January 1947 that the first real, indisputable horror comic came along — EERIE COMICS #1, published by Avon. It had a striking cover that was, well … eerie, depicting a strange-looking man with a knife on the steps of some sort of ruin, approaching a bound woman — a theme that was to be repeated countless times in the future.

Whet your appetite on these horrors inside, including "The Eyes of the Tiger" by Bob Fujitani, featuring a pet tiger who gets his first taste for blood — no surprises there then? "Dead Man’s Tale," by Jon Small, gives us the story of a bottle that gave Myron Morgan wealth and how he died when it was destroyed. "The Man-Eating Lizards," by Joe Kubert: When a plane goes down in the ocean, the surviving crew members find themselves on an island of giant, man-eating lizards. "The Strange Case of Henpecked Harry." by Fred Kida, tells how Harry Horton plots the death of his wife, only to be driven mad by the guilt.

It’s hard to point to a particular source or inspiration, such as radio or the pulps, for any of these stories as they were not adaptations and didn’t come from any existing series — yet here they are together, as probably the world’s first true horror comic!

This issue covers Eerie Comics #1 (January 1974) by Avon.

• I always thought that was Nosferatu on the cover. Now, given the opportunity for closer examination, I see it's apparently just a swipe.

SILVER AGE CLASSICS: UNUSUAL TALES VOLUME 4

216 Pages | $56.99 (Slipcase), $46.99 (HC), $29.99 (Softee)

UNUSUAL TALES Vol 4 is from Charlton, where the creative talents of Charles Nicholas, Matt Baker, Bill Molno, Sal Brodsky, Dick Giordano, Ernie Bache, Ernie Hart, Bill Fraccio and Don Perlin were given much more of a free reign and able to produce even more jewels of science fiction, horror, suspense, fantasy and the supernatural!

This volume features Unusual Tales #16-20 (May 1959-January 1960) from Charlton.

SILVER AGE CLASSICS: MYSTERIES OF UNEXPLORED WORLDS VOLUME 4

$56.99 (Slipcase), $29.99 (Softee)

This is a superb concoction of fantastic fantasy, supernatural, horror and science fiction stories from a roster of writers and artists that includes Dick Giordano, Bill Molno, Bill Fraccio, Bill Montes, Charles Nicholas and of course the truly remarkable one man creative genius and the late, lamented SteveDitko.

Check out #18’s "The Forbidden Formula,” by Bill Montes, narrated by a "Watcher," one of 900 billion of Watchers, each of whom is assigned a planet. This pre-dates the Lee-Kirby Watcher by almost two years!

Collects Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #16-20 (January-September 1960) from Charlton.

• The HC shipped some time ago.

MORE COMICS

78 MPH #2

ALIAS BLACK & WHITE #7 (OF 7)

BEASTO BLANCO SPACEWAVE CONQUEST ONE-SHOT

Story: Garrett Gunn | Art/Cover: Kit Wallis | Source Point Press | $3.99

Free Media is dead. The Cosmic Communications Command,  infiltrated by  Indoctroids from Sector V, is being used to override hundreds of thousands of  galactic streaming channels. With hopes of finalizing the upload of a  weaponized neural hijacking code to the network, Commander Dix is prepared  to make his final stand against the only threat to his evil plan: the Cosmic Pirates known as Beastö Blancö.

• You know, all these dystopia stories are starting to pale a little for me, as reality is becoming a dystopia of its own.

BEORN #2

BLOODBORNE: LADY OF LANTERNS #1

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Piotr Kowalski | Cover:Jung-Geun Yoon | Titan | $3.99

New comic series based on the critically acclaimed gothic gaming hit, Bloodborne!

Enter the city of Yharnam through the eyes of its citizens, when new hunters take to the streets to fight against the cruel and unusual epidemic that has gripped the city. In the black of the night, families and faith will be tested...

Fan-favorite artist Piotr Kowalski returns to the series with Eisner Nominated writer Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun, Wolverine, Spider-Man: Season One)!

BOOK OF SHADOWS #1

Face down an ancient threat with his hands on the Book of Shadows in this exclusive trailer reveal!

The epic Valiant blockbuster series BOOK OF SHADOWS featuring the first-ever team-up of the supernatural protectors of the Valiant Universe debuts on July 27. SHADOWMAN. PUNK MAMBO. ETERNAL WARRIOR. DOCTOR MIRAGE. PERSEPHONE. But will they be enough to stand against the fearsome foe, Exarch Fane?

In a recent exclusive with CBR, series writer Cullen Bunn talked about the danger facing our heroes in their first team-up in BOOK OF SHADOWS #1, calling it a "... massive, cosmic, world-ending nightmare. Exarch Fane is a serious threat to the Valiant Universe — a threat with a charming, sharp-toothed smile."

• Here's more:

THE YEAR OF VALIANT CONTINUES WITH THREE NEW TITLES: X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED, BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED & BOOK OF SHADOWS

THE YEAR OF VALIANT, a year-long campaign focused on putting fans first with each and every comic, continues to explore deeper into the iconic Valiant shared universe with three brand-new titles: BOOK OF SHADOWS, BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED, and X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED.

BOOK OF SHADOWS

SHADOWMAN. PUNK MAMBO. ETERNAL WARRIOR. DOCTOR MIRAGE. And [CLASSIFIED]. The supernatural protectors of the Valiant Universe unite for the very first time to stand against a terrifying ancient threat. No one is safe as Exarch Fane has his cold hands on the Book of Shadows. From the master of horror CULLEN BUNN and rising star artist RICCARDO LATINA, BOOK OF SHADOWS is a supernatural event that forms a brand-new team in the Valiant Universe... but will they be enough to stop Exarch Fane's wrath? The all-new team arrives this July.

BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED

When living weapons break out of a top-secret facility, the nanite-infused supersoldier BLOODSHOT must journey across the United States to stop these twisted and lethal creations from unleashing more bloodshed and devastation on the neglected small towns and forgotten corners of the country. Will Bloodshot need to kill all of them ... or can some of them be redeemed just like he was? From Ringo Award-nominated writer DENIZ CAMP and acclaimed artist JON DAVIS-HUNT comes BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED, the popular character's first mature readers story that truly lives up to its name. The mayhem begins this September.

X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED

Aric of Dacia is X-O MANOWAR, a relentless and brave warrior torn from the past who wields the most powerful sentient armor in the universe. When X-O's latest battle brings him into uncharted cosmic territory, he encounters a powerful enemy that will rip open old wounds and force Aric into treacherous, uncertain waters. Fan-favorite co-writers BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD are joined by blockbuster artist LIAM SHARP to present X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED, a gripping sci-fi epic that embraces the beloved character's history while challenging him in a whole new way. X-O’s next battle begins this November.

These three new titles come on the heels of THE YEAR OF VALIANT featuring "Deadside War" within the pages of SHADOWMAN, FAITH soaring in THE HARBINGER, a new rebellion brewing in the cosmos in ARMORCLADS, and the eagerly-anticipated return of the adventurous duo in ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER.

BUZZARD AND BONE #4 (OF 4)

CAVEWOMAN: OUTLAW ONE-SHOT #1

• T&A, if you like that sort of thing.

CIH PRESENTS UNCRUCIFIABLE CEREBUS GAY BAR ONE SHOT

• Dave Sim, if you like that sort of thing.

CRADLE OF FILTH #1

Story: Holly Interlandi, Kenny Porter | Art: Menton3, Piotr Kowalski | Cover: Ryan Christensen | Opus Comics | $6.66

In the ruined halls of the Maledictus Athenaeum lie occult histories, sealed records and cursed artifacts — this unholy archive explores the far corners of Cradle of Filth's musical legacy, a vast universe of Ageless Vampires, Mythical Creatures and Vengeful Gods. Within this hidden vault, we revisit The Succubus and Nemesis in stories from an all-star roster of comics talent.

• In case you are, like me, an ignoramus when it comes to modern music, here's the website for Cradle of Filth, which appears to be an actual band.

CRYSTAL PLANET #2 (OF 5)

DISTURBED DARK MESSIAH #3 (OF 5)

GOOD BOY VOL 2 #3 (OF 4)

HAWK THE SLAYER #2 (OF 5)

HIT ME #5

JOHN CARPENTER’S TALES OF SCI-FI #1: INTERFERENCE PATTERN

Story/Art: Dennis Calero | Cover: Tim Bradstreet | Storm King  Productions | $3.99

Pilot and physicist David Peeler has a theory that it's possible to travel between universes within a multiverse. Meanwhile, his colleague Dr. Chocran Nestor is experimenting with faster than light travel. Together they devise an experiment to prove both theories at once. David reluctantly agrees to pilot the ship, and when the day arrives, it appears to be a success ... for a moment.

KAIJU SCORE: STEAL FROM THE GODS #4

LADY DEATH: SACRIFICIAL ANNIHILATION #2 (OF 2)

• More T&A

LEAD CITY #4

MACABRE MOTEL ONE-SHOT

Story: Frank Martin | Art: Alper Gecgel | Cover: Ryan Lee | CEX Publishing | $3.99

Writer/creator Frank Martin welcomes you to The Macabre Motel, a Twilight Zone-inspired weird horror story that will leave you feeling deeply unsettled long after the final page! Anxious about meeting his girlfriend's family, Steve decides to rest his eyes at the only motel around. But once inside, the bizarre cast of characters leaves him shaken, terrified and questioning his very sanity! Are you ready to enter ... The Macabre Motel?

• I think one lesson we've all learned from pop culture is "Never stay in an obscure, out-of-the-way, run-down motel." You don't see people knifed in the shower or having Twilight Zone experiences at the Hilton, do you?

MEANWHILE #11

MECHANIX #1

Story: Ben Slabak | Art/Cover: Edorado Natalini | Source Point Press | $3.99

In the not-too-distant future, a young girl by the name of Keiko and her grandfather operate Junpei's Temporal Roadside Response, servicing and repairing broken-down time machines all the while searching for Keiko's parents who are lost somewhere in time.

NAUGHTY LIST #4

NEVERENDER #3 (OF 6)

NINJA KAIDAN #1

Story: Eric Palicki | Art/Cover: Lucas Meyer | Blackbox Comics | $3.99

Not even a lifetime of martial arts training and years as an elite soldier could prepare Yuki Snow for this newest challenge: CEO of his deceased father's company. Suddenly thrust into a leadership role at YOKAI Consolidated, Yuki finds himself taking over his father's pet project, the mysterious Kaidan armor, which would allow its wearer to see, speak to, and touch ghosts.

• Does that mean that the ghosts can also touch you?

NOTTINGHAM #9 (OF 10)

OBLIVION TRIALS #2 (OF 4)

PARADISE TOWERS: PARADISE FOUND #2 (OF 4)

PLANET COMICS #7

PUNCHLINE #13

SHAM COMICS VOL 2 #4 (OF 6)

SULFUR WELLS #1

Story: Otis Crain | Art: Sara Stella Scalia | Cover: Daniel Page | Blood Moon Comics | $3.99

Around the rim of a large man-made lake resides a rural community. The lake has provided the community with commerce and recreation but it has also taken. While two young friends navigate the waterways and the complications of southern poverty they also must remain vigilant of an elusive local cryptid species.

• If you name your town "Sulfur Wells," you're just asking for trouble.

ULTRAMAX #3 (OF 4)

THE WRONG EARTH: MEAT ONE-SHOT

Story: Tom Peyer | Art: Greg Scott | Cover: Jamal Igle | Ahoy Comics | $4.99

The multi-Earth event concludes in a special written by Wrong Earth co-creator Tom Peyer! On Earth-Alpha, have Dragonflyman and Stinger met their match in Dr. Meat? Can Stinger's nightmare all be a bad dream? Meanwhile, on Earth-Omega, Dragonfly meets someone he can talk to and help out in a time of need — for both of them. All five Wrong Earth specials feature covers by co-creator Jamal Igle and a special incentive cover by legendary artist Gene Ha. This issue also features a second incentive cover by Bill Morrison (The Simpsons).

• Ahoy, you Ahoy lovers! Here's another Dragonfly/Dragonflyman one-shot.

MORE COLLECTIONS/OGNs

2120 GN

• A choose-your-own-adventure. I think.

45 YEARS OF 2000 AD ANNIVERSARY ART BOOK HC

ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #9: CHRISTMAS IN JULY

• Yes, a collection of actual Christmas stories.

AS A CARTOONIST HC

Story/Art: Noah Van Sciver | Fantagraphics | 100 pages | $19.99

A series of comic strips joined together by the theme of the author's chosen profession — cartooning — reveals a funny and often poignant reflection on the human condition and the lives we choose to live.

Acclaimed cartoonist Noah Van Sciver puts to use all the creative arrows in his quiver in this captivating collection of fiction, biography, memoir, and more. Van Sciver juxtaposes fictional stories about what life as a "19th Century Cartoonist" might have looked like with a series of autobiographical strips about life as a contemporary cartoonist, along with pieces about his father and childhood that inform the path in life he has chosen. The resultant effect is a routinely funny (Van Sciver never takes himself too seriously unless it is intended for comedic effect) but also deeply relatable book that touches on some of life's big questions, whether about the ways we measure happiness or success, the ways we often define ourselves by our careers, or ways we can sometimes lose sight of the most important things. Van Sciver displays a love of the history and form of cartooning that recalls Art Spiegelman, a Lynda Barryesque thirst to unpack ideas of what creativity really means, and a Harvey Pekar-like way of just trying to stay alive in the face of despair.

BIG SCOOP OF ICE CREAM GN

• Here's another of what seems to me to be an endless stream of autobiographical graphic novels by introverted artists, most of whom aren't even 30 yet, who think every stray thought that flits through their head is as fascinating to us as it is to them. This book literally promises the author's "every adventure, from her apartment that she shares with a girl who's her mirror image, her household, her computer, her dreams to elsewhere, her escapes to the beach, her telephone conversations with friends, to her more or less happy dates."
  • Oh my! Conversations with friends! I can hardly wait!
  • This is honestly my least favorite kind of comics, and I wouldn't read one of these things with a gun to my head. YMMV.

BIRDMAN AND CHICKEN TPB

• Collected from UK's Krazy comics, this is a 1966 Batman parody.

THE BLACK-JACK DEMON

Story/Art: Nick Hermes | Literati Press | $15.99

A boy crosses the American Old West in search of the stranger that brutally murdered his father after destroying their family mine. Bent on revenge, the young man soon realizes that the killer he is chasing is something much, much darker. The Black-Jack Demon is a genre-breaking Western revenge tale focused on young Silas's journey through the changing American landscape, following the trail of carnage left behind by the mysterious figure.

• Weird Western

FATE: GRAND ORDER — MORTALIS: STELLA GN VOL 3

Story: Shiramine | Art/Cover: Type Moon | $12.99

The year is 2016, and glitches found in humanity's past threaten the sustainability of its future. The Chaldea Security Organization — tasked with preserving human history for as long and as strongly as possible — has developed a new method of time travel to repair these events, stabilizing humanity's future. But when an unknown threat pushes mankind to the brink of extinction, young recruits Mash Kyrielight and Ritsuka Fujimaru find themselves at the helm of the rescue mission: Obtain the Holy Grail in a face off against fate itself.

• Wait ... hasn't 2016 already happened?

FLATBUSH ZOMBIES 3001 PREQUEL ODYSSEY VOL 1 TPB

Story: Rob Markman | Art: J.J. Lopez | Cover: David Nakayama | $19.99

The official prequel to the Flatbush Zombies' hit debut album! Erick, Meech and Juice were just three friends from Flatbush with the power to really move a crowd — until a supernatural crystal changed everything! Now, dark forces are invading the neighborhood to unleash a nightmare entity at Brookyln's world-famous West Indian Day Parade ... and only the Flatbush Zombies stand in their way.

It turns out Flatbush Zombies, aka The Glorious Dead, is also a real band!

FOURTH MAN TPB

HOUSE OF DOLMANN TPB

Story: Tom Tully | Art/Cover: Eric Bradbury | Rebellion/2000 AD | $19.99

Genius creator and expert ventriloquist, Eric Dolmann has created a small army of robotic puppets to help the forces of law and order fight back against crime. Whatever the situation, Dolman has a mechanical warrior perfectly suited to get the job done! From the safety of his flying 'Dolmobile', he directs Raider, Elasto, Mole, Togo and Giggler into action! Occasionally they will question his judgement and bicker amongst one another — even though they aren't capable of independent thought!

• I think the weed in UK must be better than ours.

JUDGE DREDD BY BRIAN BOLLAND APEX EDITION HC

JUDGE DREDD COMPLETE CASE FILES VOL 39

NIX VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Susan Beneville | Cover: Brian Hess | Red 5 Comics-Stonebot | $17.95

A feisty girl trapped in spirit form, Nix, must convince a self-doubting young prince, William, to embrace his powers before her vengeful father destroys the kingdom they both love.  Now the ancient enemy of William's family has reappeared and now it is up to the two of them to stop the Wyvern and heal the land.

NOBODY’S CHILD VOL 1 TPB

RED AGENT: ISLAND OF DR MOREAU TPB

RUN THE DUNGEON GN

Story: Patrick Kindlon | Art/Cover: Goran Gligoyic | $19.99

Relst is just your average young man. Except he is stuck in an Endless Dungeon. Follow him as "adventures" through the Dungeon hoping to escape to the surface world. Run the Dungeon is for fans of witty fantasy adventures everywhere. Includes a soundtrack from Self Defense Family and an original pen and paper RPG based on the book.

SLEEPING WHILE STANDING GN

• Another artist autobiography. In the words of Jordan Peele: "Nope."

SPACE STORY GN

Story/Art: Fiona Ostby | West Margin Press | $16.99

It started on earth, where two women meet at the space academy and fall in love. Told in three interwoven stories with beautiful art, Space Story is an interstellar tale of a family separated when the planet becomes uninhabitable by humans. Safe travel to the space station at first seemed a matter of time, then restricted, then ... improbable. Yet despite the sadness, anxiety, and frustration in the void of space, hope kindles silently deep inside, whispering of a future and new beginnings on the horizon. By debut author Fiona Ostby, Space Story weaves a poignant, moving story of discovering love and finding strength and courage-even in the darkest moments.

THE SPIDER: CRIME UNLIMITED HC

Story: Jerry Siegel | Art/Cover: Don Avenell | Rebellion/2000 AD | $24.99

The Spider is the uncrowned king of the New York underworld, so elusive to the police that he even manages to taunt the Police Commissioner at his retirement party. But Professor Aldo Cummings, a famous but ill-tempered scientist, determined to stop the schemes of the Spider once and for all, invents a ray-machine which will eliminate the evil from a person's personality.

But a tragic miscalculation will turn Professor Cummings into the Professor of Power, and he will seek a more direct confrontation with the Spider. The first collection of the Spider stories originally published as part of the Picture Library series, these long-lost and fast-paced pulp adventure stories have never been reprinted before, written by Jerry Siegel (co-creator of Superman) and Donne Avenell.

• Wait: Jerry Siegel?!?

TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION VOL 1 HC

TURN YOUR FANDOM INTO CASH SC

• Oh, Bullwinkle, that trick never works.

VAMP TPB

WORLD OF BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #17

MORE MANGA

BEAUTY AND FEAST GN VOL 03

FARAWAY PALADIN OMNIBUS GN VOL 03

FOR THE KID I SAW IN MY DREAMS HC VOL 08

FROM THE RED FOG GN VOL 02

GRAND BLUE DREAMING GN VOL 16

HOW DO WE RELATIONSHIP GN VOL 06

I SHALL SURVIVE USING POTIONS GN VOL 08

IN SPECTRE GN VOL 16

INVINCIBLE SHOVEL GN VOL 04

LIMINAL ZONE HC

MINAMI NANAMI WANTS TO SHINE VOL 2 GN

MISFIT OF DEMON KING ACADEMY GN VOL 04

SHE PROFESSED HERSELF PUPIL OF WISE MAN GN VOL 05

SKIP AND LOAFER GN VOL 05

STRONGEST SAGE WITH THE WEAKEST CREST GN VOL 08

TO YOUR ETERNITY GN VOL 17

TOKYO REVENGERS OMNIBUS GN VOL 01

TROPICAL FISH YEARNS FOR SNOW GN VOL 09

UNWANTED UNDEAD ADVENTURER GN VOL 6

UQ HOLDER GN VOL 26

WELCOME BACK ALICE GN VOL 01

WITCHCRAFT WORKS GN VOL 16

WONDERCAT KYUU-CHAN GN VOL 06

YURI ESPOIR GN VOL 01

YUUNA & HAUNTED HOT SPRINGS VOL 20 GN

MORE FOR KIDS

BEAN RIDDLES & SHROOMS HC

THE COMIC BOOK LESSON: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL THAT SHOWS YOU HOW MAKE COMICS GN

DANCE CLASS 3-IN-1 VOL 4 GN

KENZIE’S KINGDOM TPB

MONSTER FUN EASTER SPECIAL 2022

SMURFS 3-IN-1 VOL 6 GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Does [SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW] belong on my bookshelf, Legionnaires?"

I started to "lose the story" several issues from the end reading on a monthly basis. I stopped reading with the intention of reading it in a sitting after it was complete, but I haven't done so yet. I was enjoying before that point, though. 

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE: Mark Russell is a writer whose work I follow regardless, and I similarly follow Mike Allred. Buying a Superman project with both of them together is a no brainer.

"Anyone want to figure out which comics constitute the first 899 issues of Amazing Spider-Man?"

I'll give it a shot.

#1-441 - Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #1-441

#442-700 - Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #1-58, #500-700

#701-733 - Superior Spider-Man (2013) #1-33

#734-751 - Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1-18

#752-756 - Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2015) #1-5

#757-788 - Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1-32

#789-801 - Amazing Spider-Man (2017) #789-801

#802-894 - Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1-93

#895-899 - Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #1-5

Howzzat?

• Can’t blame your least favorite Captain Marvel on the 1950s.  It is 1960s Silver Age through and through.

10666375901?profile=RESIZE_710x

1 (OF )

10163556092?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Peter David | Art: Juanan Ramírez | Covers: Mike Mckone, Dan Jurgens, Peach Momoko, Juni Ba | Teen+ | $3.99

He’s back! Recently resurrected in ‘The Last of the Marvels,’ the latest story arc in Kelly Thompson’s hit run on CAPTAIN MARVEL, Genis-Vell will go on to star in an all-new limited series this June written by the creator who helped define him, the legendary Peter David! Announced earlier today at ComicsPRO, GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL will be a five-issue epic featuring artwork by electrifying artist Juanan Ramírez (DARKHAWK). The series will see the fan favorite Captain Marvel reunite with his former partner, Rick Jones, for the first time in decades for an adventure that spans the Marvel cosmos and a mystery involving Death itself.

Both now back in the land of the living, Genis-Vell and Rick Jones are about to come crashing back into each other! Can Rick Jones save Genis — and himself — before they both fade out of existence? Is Rick’s ex-wife, Marlo, the key? Find out in this surprising saga that will chart a new course through the Marvel Universe for Genis, Rick, and more!

“I never thought I'd have the opportunity to return to Genis, what with him being dead and all. But apparently death never lasts...which is actually one of the themes of the limited series I came up with,” David said. “It's great to be back with Genis, Rick, Marlo and the whole Genis-Vell gang.”

• Man, am I Debbie Downer today. But here, sadly, is my second-least favorite Captain Marvel, part of the slacker superhero trend of the '80s. I really like Peter David's work, but this character never did it for me.
    • (My least favorite is the robot who yelled "Split!" in the '50s.)
  • Dave Palmer said:

Can’t blame your least favorite Captain Marvel on the 1950s.  It is 1960s Silver Age through and through.

Yikes! That was 1966, wasn't it? I had it in my head that it was 1956. That's what I get for not looking it up! Thanks!

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Anyone want to figure out which comics constitute the first 899 issues of Amazing Spider-Man?"

I'll give it a shot.

#1-441 - Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #1-441

#442-700 - Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #1-58, #500-700

#701-733 - Superior Spider-Man (2013) #1-33

#734-751 - Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1-18

#752-756 - Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (2015) #1-5

#757-788 - Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1-32

#789-801 - Amazing Spider-Man (2017) #789-801

#802-894 - Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1-93

#895-899 - Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #1-5

Howzzat?

Pretty impressive, and I mean that sincerely.

But because I'm as anal-retentive as you, I have to wonder why Amazing Spider-Man: Renew My License or whatever it is counts more than Amazing Spider-Man #-1, Amazing Spider-Man #0, Amazing Spider-Man FCBD #0, Amazing Spider-Man #394 (flipbook), or Amazing Spider-Man #654.1, 679.1, 699.1, 700.1, 700.2, 700.3, 700.4 or 700.5. Those issues are, specifically and technically, issues of Amazing Spider-Man, whereas Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows has a different name.

How do you reconcile this?

• THE SPIDER: CRIME UNLIMITED HC

Story: Jerry Siegel | Art/Cover: Don Avenell | Rebellion/2000 AD | $24.99

Wait: Jerry Siegel?!?

Google tells me that Jerry Siegel worked on this British character in the 60s.

• "How do you reconcile this?"

How do I reconcile this? I don't. AFAIAC, a new (but similar) universe is created every time Marvel renumbers a series. The question is, how does Marvel reconcile it? Sometimes they count the "zero issues" or the "negative ones," other times they don't as it suits them depending on which artificial milestone they're trying to rejigger. Issues #789-801 were the official Marvel count as of the short-lived "Marvel Legacy" numbering, and it's pretty straightforward after that (i.e., 801 + 93 + 5 = 899). As to why "Renew Your Passport" is included when some of the other comics you mention are not, the math doesn't work because "five" is called for. Someday they may decide not to include that series in favor of the other numbering you mention as the mood strikes them. 

• I hear you, and "because 'five' is called for" is as good a reason as any. I know this first-hand, because I tried to reconcile some of Marvel's "anniversary" issues back when they first started doing legacy-numbering anniversaries. I realized pretty quickly that, to use the technical phrase, they were "making $#!& up."

Further, the GCD uses much the same numbering as you did, and doesn't bother to explain why, for example, Renew Your Vows first series (five issues) is included, but not Renew Your Vows second series (23 issues). Also, GCD includes the minus-one issue and all the dot-this and dot-that books under the Amazing Spider-Man listings, but does not include them for purposes of legacy numbering.  Meanwhile, Renew Your Vows and Superior Spider-Man have separate listings, but are included in the legacy numbering anyway.

I don't know if GCD chose to do this on their own, or someone checked with Marvel, but either way the numbers do work, so what the heck.

• Mile  High Comics lists all of Marvel's "negative one" books as if "minus" were part of the title: Spider-Man Minus #1. That's a handy way to deal with such issues in a database not set up to handle negative numbers but, mathematically, such issues should count against the total because adding a negative is the same as subtracting. For example, if Snotman has 100 issues and one "negative one" that should be 99 issues total because 100 + "negative one" = 99. It goes without saying that a "zero" issue should not be included in the total at all. (Proof: 1 + 0 = 1)

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

Mile  High Comics lists all of Marvel's "negative one" books as if "minus" were part of the title: Spider-Man Minus #1. That's a handy way to deal with such issues in a database not set up to handle negative numbers but, mathematically, such issues should count against the total because adding a negative is the same as subtracting. For example, if Snotman has 100 issues and one "negative one" that should be 99 issues total because 100 + "negative one" = 99. It goes without saying that a "zero" issue should not be included in the total at all. (Proof: 1 + 0 = 1)

You know I love you, Jeff, but ... that makes absolutely no sense. 

• "What are 'things Tracy says a lot', Alex?"   ;)

ClarkKent_DC said:

You know I love you, Jeff, but ... that makes absolutely no sense. 

This reply was deleted.