THE TOP FIVE

Batman vs. Bigby: A Wolf in Gotham #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Bill Willingham | Art: Brian Level | Cover: Yanick Paquette | Variant: Brian Level & Jay Leisten

With the blood dry at Gotham’s fourth gruesome murder scene in as many weeks, Batman is stumped. The same hallmarks haunt each investigation: brute-force entries, bodies ripped to shreds and stamped with enormous bite marks, and clumps of fur — wolf fur — scattered in the wreckage. The streets buzz with rumors of the "Werewolf of Gotham." Determined to crack this case, Batman finds no leads and a mysterious, hairy, chain-smoking figure dogging his every move. The Dark Knight’s dangerously close to losing his cool when a series of bombings levels the city’s libraries in the days leading up to the 32nd annual Gotham Literary Festival. As Batman narrows in on the Bookworm and his literary henchmen, he discovers that an invaluable book from another world is at the center of the violence. Stranger still, the wolf is in on it. But what kind of monster is built from such brains and brawn — and is he an enemy or an ally? Worlds collide as a Gotham mystery kick-starts a return to the world of Fables!

CC sez: File this under "Team-Ups I Never Expected to See!" But who doesn't love Bigby Wolf?

Gun Honey #1

Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: Charles Ardai | Art: Ang Hor Kheng | Cover A: Bill Sienkiewicz | Cover B: Robert McGinnis | Cover C: Ang Hor Kheng | Cover D: Andrea Camerini | FOC Variant: Adam Hughes | Cover F 1:10 Copy Incentive: Bill Sienkiewicz Virgin Variant | Cover G 1:25 Copy Incentive: Bill Sienkiewicz Pink Wash Virgin Variant | The Comic Mint Retail Exclusive: Bill Sienkiewicz Foil Virgin Variant | Forbidden Planet / Jetpack Retailer Exclusive 1: Adam Hughes Virgin Variant | Forbidden Planet / Jetpack Retailer Exclusive 2: Adam Hughes Foil Virgin Variant | Forbidden Planet / Jetpack Retailer Exclusive 3: Adam Hughes Foil Trade Variant | Frankie's Comics Retailer Exclusive: Lesley Li Virgin Variant | KRS Comics Retailer Exclusive: Warren Louw Virgin Variant | Sanctum Sanctorum Retailer Exclusive: Ivan Tao Virgin Variant

SHE’LL GET YOU THE WEAPON YOU NEED, WHERE YOU NEED IT, WHEN YOU NEED IT!

When a gun smuggled into a high-security prison leads to the death of dozens and the escape of a brutal criminal, notorious weapons smuggler Joanna Tan is enlisted by the U.S. government: find the man she set loose and bring him down!

CC sez: Sex, violence, espionage ... OK, you got me.

Dead Reckoning | $24.95

Story/Art/Cover: Marvano

In the waning years of World War II, as the tragic plight of the European Jews was coming to light in ever more horrific detail, a Jewish fighting force, known as the Jewish Infantry Brigade Group, was born as part of the British Eighth Army. Leslie Toliver, a racecar driver in the pre-war years, eagerly joined the all-volunteer force for a chance to fight with his people against those who sought to murder them. 

Born in Belgium, Marvano started out as an interior designer. Years later, he began an alternate career as an illustrator, eventually becoming editor-in-chief of the magazine Kuifje, then managing the comics department of Flemish publisher Den Gulden Engel. All the while he published his own comics and went on to write and illustrate dozens of graphic novels over decades, most notably adapting Joe Halderman’s famous novel The Forever War. 

CC sez: This is based on a true story that I knew nothing about. I'm familiar with the history of the founding of Israel — the Balfour Declaration, the Palestine Mandate, the 1948 war, etc. — but I didn't know about this Jewish Brigade, or internment camps on Cyprus or other elements presented in this book. I confess I found it a little disjointed, as if it's trying to do too much. Or maybe it's the Euro-influence. Or maybe I was just tired. But there's violent retribution against Nazis, so what's not to love?

Teen Titans: Beast Boy Loves Raven TPB

DC Comics | $16.99

Story: Kami Garcia | Art: Gabriel Picolo

It seems like years, but it’s only been a few days since Raven Roth recovered her memories, trapped her demon father, Trigon, into her amulet, and had her heart broken for the first time. But she doesn’t have time to think about the past…she has to focus on finding a way to get rid of Trigon for good.

Garfield Logan still can’t believe he has powers that allow him to change into different animals, but the price of knowing that his parents kept this secret hidden from him just feels too high. And what’s more, his difficulty controlling these abilities could have unexpected consequences.

Both are seeking answers from the one person who seems to have them all figured out: Slade Wilson.

When their paths converge in Nashville, Raven and Gar can’t help but feel a connection, despite the secrets they both try to hide. It will take a great amount of trust and courage to overcome the wounds of their pasts. But can they find acceptance for the darkest part of themselves? Or maybe even love?

CC sez: The first two books in this series, one starring Beast Boy and one starring Raven, were both charming and mildly entertaining. ("Mildly" because I am decades away from the age group of the target audience. They're very well done.) Both characters have been re-imagined to a degree; they're still recognizable in broad strokes, but both had a more conventional childhood than in the comics (before the super-powers kick in). And now they're co-starring in the third book of this trilogy, in which romance and Deathstroke will play a role.

Wonderful Women of the World

DC Comics | $16.99

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Nicola Scott

DC brings together a collection of talented writers and artists to celebrate international role models for teens and kids with a new young adult anthology. Standing for truth, justice and equality, Wonder Woman serves as inspiration for the profiles and portraits of 23 pioneering women from around the globe.  Featuring a cover illustrated by acclaimed Wonder Woman artist Nicola Scott and spearheaded by The New York Times bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak, Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed) who serves as editor, the young adult anthology will hit shelves pegged to the milestone 80th anniversary celebration of Wonder Woman.

Women profiled and creative teams below:

• Beyoncé - Writer: Mikki Kendall / Artist: A D’Amico
  • Edith Windsor - Writer: Amanda Deibert / Artist: Cat Staggs
  • Francisca Nneka Okeke - Writer: Sheena Howard / Artist: Laylie Frazier
  • Greta Thunberg - Writer: Kami Garcia / Artist: Igzell
  • Judith Heumann - Writer: Marieke Nijkamp / Artist: Ashanti Fortson
  • Khatijah Mohamad Yusoff - Writer: Amanda Deibert / Artist: Hanie Mohd
  • Keiko Agena - Writer: Sarah Kuhn / Artist: Lynne Yoshii
  • Leiomy Maldonado - Writer: Magdalene Visaggio / Artist: Alexis Williams
  • Malala Yousafzai - Writer: Son M. / Artist: Safiya Zerrogui
  • Marcia Barbosa -  Writer: Corinna Bechko / Artist: Anastasia Longoria
  • Mariana Costa Checa - Writer: Melissa Marr / Artist: Marcela Cespedes
  • Mari Copeny - Writer: Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich / Artist: Sharee Miller
  • Marsha P. Johnson -  Writer: Jadzia Axelrod / Artist: Michaela Washington
  • Naomi Watanabe - Writer: Jodi Houser / Artist: Michiums
  • Ruth Bader Ginsburg - Writer: Lilah Sturges / Artist: Devaki Neogi
  • Ellen Ochoa - Writer: Cecil Castellucci / Artist: Carina Guevara
  • Serena Williams - Writer: Danielle Paige / Artist: Brittney Williams
  • Teara Fraser - Writer: Traci Sorell / Artist: Natasha Donovan

80 Years of Wonder Woman

For the global celebration of Wonder Woman, DC is honoring the iconic character’s 80th anniversary with a vibrant collection of commemorative releases, free editions and new series launches all starring DC’s Champion of Truth and Warrior for Peace. Headlined by the inspiring anthology showcasing 23 trailblazing women around the world, Wonderful Women of the World, DC will also thrill Wonder Woman fans with a 100-page spectacular, a commemorative hardcover and multiple brand-new series, all to be released this fall pegged to the global celebration of Wonder Woman Day on Oct. 21.

Other releases:

• Wonder Woman: 80 Years of the Amazon Warrior (Sept. 14, 2021)
  • Wonderful Women of the World (Sept. 29, 2021)
  • Nubia and the Amazons #1 (Oct. 5, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super-Spectacular (Oct. 5, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman #780 (Oct. 12, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman: Adventures of Young Diana Special (Oct. 12, 2021)
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons (Oct. 19, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman Day Special Edition (Oct. 19, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed — Free Special Edition (Oct. 19, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons #1 (Oct. 19, 2021)
  • Wonder Woman: Black & Gold #5 (Oct. 26, 2021)
  • Wonder Girl #6 (Oct. 26, 2021)

CC sez: I'm a little confused by some of this. "Wonder Woman Day" is scheduled for ... a Thursday? Why not a Tuesday, when the books ship, or a Saturday, like Batman Day and Free Comic Book Day? Further, the list above consigns the Wonder Woman Special Edition freebies to the preceding Tuesday, instead of Wonder Woman Day proper. Also, DC sent me two different covers for Wonderful Women with two different press releases, so I don't know which one we'll see. Oh, and there's no way Wonder Girl is going to be up to issue #6 by Oct. 26, since only three issues have shipped so far. Questions, questions.

But I think a Wonder Woman Day is a fine thing, and a long time coming. I've requested Wonderful Women for review (it hasn't arrived yet), and I've already reviewed a few of the reprints, when they came out originally. I'm looking forward to the two new series, as well as the Super-Spectacular. I don't really think the Amazing Amazon can support four series (Historia, Nubia, Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman), but I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

Inferno #1

Marvel Comics | Teen+ | $5.99

Story: Jonathan Hickman | Art: Valerio Schiti | Colors: David Curiel | Cover: Jerome Opeña | Artgerm | Variant: Mark Brooks | Variant: Jeff Dekal | Variant Peach Momoko | R.B. Silva | Oscar Vega

A high-stakes mutant drama, INFERNO will provide the startling payoff to long-running plotlines including Mystique’s quest to be reunited with Destiny, startling shakeups to the Quiet Council, and the looming threat of Nimrod. Alliances will be broken, secrets will be revealed, and the once-bright future of mutantkind will be endangered like never before. Fans can get their first look at this revelatory saga in the all-new INFERNO trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork.

"I’m very excited that we’re finally getting to share with everyone the follow-up to House of X/Powers of X,” Hickman said. “The story is 160 pages over four issues drawn exquisitely by Valerio Schiti, R.B. Silva and Stefano Caselli. I cannot wait for people to read it.”

CC sez: This series has a lot of foreshadowing to live up to. The bar has been set so high, I fear it can't possibly get over it. But I'm game to see. (And shouldn't this be "Inferno II"?)

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Adventureman #5

Image | $3.99

Story: Matt Fraction | Art/Cover: Terry Dodson, Rachel Dodson

In Adventureman #5, as New York City teeters on the brink of a strange armageddon, Claire tries the Adventureman mantle on for size just in time to face the monstrous evil that vanquished her predecessor — only he didn't have a family like hers.

Everyone knows the story of Adventureman. The greatest pulp hero of all time's story ended in a heartbreaking cliffhanger with our hero facing his very execution. ... Now, learn the startling truth about how, 80 years after his seeming demise, single mother Claire and her Adventurefan son Tommy light the spark of RESURRECTION! Can these inheritors of the Adventureman legacy rise up to face down the evil that bested the original?

Adventureman Vol. 1 HC, collecting issues #1-4 of the ongoing series, is available now. 

CC sez: Image wants to alert us to a new storyline, so here's all this.

Amazing Spider-Man #74

Marvel | Teen + | $9.99

Story: Nick Spencer | Art: Patrick Gleason, Mark Bagley, Marcelo Ferreira, more | Cover: Patrick Gleason | Variant: Marco Checchetti | Variant: Marcelo Ferreira | Variant: Ron Frenz | Variant: Alex Maleev | Varinat; Peach Momoko | Variant: Sara Pichelli | Variant: Federico Vicentini | Variant: Leinil Francis Yu

Nick Spencer will close out his epic run on Amazing Spider-Man this September! Since taking over the title, the acclaimed writer has crafted a Spider-Man saga for the ages, taking not only Peter Parker but his beloved supporting cast and iconic rogues gallery on radical new journeys. With numerous memorable storylines under his belt, Spencer will end his redefining work on the Spider-Man mythos in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #74. The milestone 875th issue of the title, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #74 will be an incredible 80-page blockbuster issue complete with artwork from some of the artists that have contributed to this landmark run: Patrick Gleason, Mark Bagley and Marcelo Ferreira and more! The culmination of over three years’ worth of thrilling storylines, this climactic finale will be full of surprising developments that will launch Peter Parker into his next high-flying era.

CC sez: I was a little worried about how "Sinister War" was going to end, due to the various futures we've seen where Peter Parker is crippled (the MC2 Spider-Girl) or dead (O.G. Guardians of the Galaxy). But nothing permanent seemed to happen in the previous issue, and I don't really know what's going to happen in this one  except that next issue Ben Reilly takes over the webs. (And some significant spoilers from Bleeding Cool which I won't pass on. If you want to be spoiled, go here.)

Art of Pulp Fiction Illustrated History of Vintage Paper

IDW | $49.99

Judge these books by their covers! Get immersed in the definitive visual history of pulp fiction paperbacks from 1940 to 1970.

The Art of Pulp Fiction: An Illustrated History of Vintage Paperbacks chronicles the history of pocket-sized paperbound books designed for mass-market consumption, specifically concentrating on the period from 1940 to 1970. These three decades saw paperbacks eclipse cheap pulp magazines and expensive clothbound books as the most popular delivery vehicle for escapist fiction. To catch the eyes of potential buyers they were adorned with covers that were invariably vibrant, frequently garish, and occasionally lurid. Today the early paperbacks-like the earlier pulps, inexpensively produced and considered disposable by casual readers-are treasured collector's items.

CC sez: This is an area of pop culture about which I know very little. But I bet those covers are a blast!

Children of the Plague #1 one-shot

Dark Horse | 32 pages + pin-up section | $4.99

Story/Art/Cover: Robert Love | Colors: Jeffrey Kimbler | Letters: David Walker

When kids are suddenly infected with a disease from outer space and begin forming mysterious superpowers, they become "Children of the Plague". These children are rounded up, tested on, and put into battle by the evil Valmount Corporation. Remy, a young, female Indo-American infectee who develops powers of her own must fight to free herself and her brother from a life of war and servitude. Can they find a way to free themselves?

CC sez: Evidently this is the first shot of a new series/franchise. Starting with a one-shot is strange marketing, though.

EC Covers Artist Edition HC

IDW | $150.00

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Reed Crandall

EC Comics, under the guidance of publisher Bill Gaines, was — according to the editor of this collection — the greatest line of comics ever done.

This once-in-a-lifetime Artist's Edition collects more than 120 EC covers by their best and brightest talents. The luminaries included in this gigantic (15 x 22 inches!) tome include: Wally Wood, Harvey Kurtzman. Graham Ingels, Johnny Craig, Al Williamson, Frank Frazetta, Jack Davis, Al Feldstein, and more.

Each cover has been shot from the original art. While appearing to be in black and white, these images were actually scanned in color, enabling the reader to see all the subtle little nuances that make original art unique. Blue pencil notations, zip-a-tone, whiteout, all of these and more are clearly visible. Honestly, the only better way to see these covers is to be holding the original art in your hand.

CC sez: I hesitate to keep buying EC material in different formats, but this one actually looks pretty cool.

Deathstroke Inc. #1

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Howard Porter | Variant: Francesco Mattina | Variant: Adam Hughes

After suffering too many losses, Slade Wilson decides it’s time for a change. When he’s enlisted to work with an ages-old secret organization called T.R.U.S.T. who want to take down the heavy-hitter villains, he’s all in. They’ll supply him with an all-new team and resources for his new mission into the depths of the weirdest parts of the DCU, including a new partner … Black Canary! Wait what?! Enjoy explosions, kick-ass action, and new outrageous adventures as DC’s meanest S.O.B. gets tangled up in a major mystery building in the shadows of the DCU.

CC sez: I've never been a Deathstroke fan, and don't understand why he keeps getting solo titles. What's the appeal of this character? Well, at least this time he's (sorta) on the side of the angels.

Firefly: River Run #1

BOOM! | $7.99

Story: David M. Booher | Art: Genolet, Andres | Cover A: Christian Ward | Cover B: Adam Gorham

How did Simon save River from the terrifying Hands-Of-Blue?

The great lengths Dr. Simon Tam had to go to in order to save his only sister, River, from her captors are finally revealed in this special standalone issue!

Follow Simon's "fall from grace" as he risks it all and races against time to save River... even as she struggles to hold onto her sanity.

The truth of River's life in the Alliance Academy facility, what really happened to her there, and the origin of Firefly's greatest sibling bond is finally revealed by writer David S. Booher (Canto) and artist Andrés Genolet (Runaways)!

CC sez: This is a franchise that those whose opinions I trust keep telling me I would enjoy. I'll get around to it someday! In the meantime, for those who are up to speed on Firefly, here's a new series from BOOM!

Marie Curie: Quest for Light TPB

IDW | 136 pages | $17.99

Story: Frances Andreasen Osterfelt, Anja Cetti Andersen | Art/Cover: Anna Blaszczyk

Marie Curie's exceptional life and groundbreaking research changed the world, expanding scientific understanding and creating new opportunities for women, as explored in this lavishly illustrated graphic biography endorsed by the Curie Estate.

Curie's unique drive — against all odds — to understand Nature's ways and laws led to groundbreaking discoveries, which revolutionized medical theory and practice. She was the first female Nobel Prize winner and, to date, the only person to win a Nobel Prize in two categories; first physics and later in chemistry.

Authorized by the Curie Estate, Marie Curie: A Quest For Light presents a special collaboration between author Frances Andreasen Østerfelt, the internationally acclaimed Danish astrophysicist Anja Cetti Andersen, and features delightful illustration by artist Anna Blaszczyk. Together they have made Curie's fascinating story accessible to young readers.

CC sez: I only know the broad outlines of Curie's story, and the more I think about it, the more I want to know.

Miles Morales Spider-Man #30

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Story: Saladin Ahmed, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller, Kemp Powers, Jeff Loveness, Cody Ziglar | Art: Carmen Carnero, Sara Pichelli, Anthony Piper | Cover: Taurin Clarke | Design variant: Chase Conley | Variant: Sara Pichelli, Rachelle Rosenberg | Miles Morales 10th variant: Javier Garron, Matthew Wilson

In addition to a collection of variant covers, Marvel Comics will also be celebrating 10 years of Miles Morales with a special double-sized issue of his current ongoing series! MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #30 will be a major turning point in the legacy of the young Spider-Man featuring the debut of a brand-new costume designed by artist Chase Conley. The series creative team, writer Saladin Ahmed and artist Carmen Carnero, will be joined by a web of incredible talent including the creative minds behind the Oscar-winning film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, two-time Oscar nominee Kemp Powers, and Miles Morales co-creator Sara Pichelli.

CC sez: Marvel seems to believe this issue is an anniversary of some kind, so here's all this.

Read Only Memories GN

IDW | $17.99

Story: Sina Grace | Art: Stefano Simeone | Cover: Aaron Hammerstrom

Enter a cyberpunk universe like you've never seen before! Lexi Rivers, former detective with the Neo-San Francisco Police Department, has left the big city lights behind in favor of opening her own agency in the beach town of Santa Cruz. When a robot's human lover goes missing, Lexi will be faced with a case unlike any she's tackled yet.

CC sez: This is based on a video game, so it's outside my wheelhouse. Maybe it's in yours, though.

Star Trek Villains HC

Titan Comics | $24.99

Over the 50 incredible years of Star Trek TV shows and movies, the franchise has produced many stand-out villains. Collected here are features on some of the very best — or worst — villains and classic interviews with the actors who portrayed them. Includes the Borg (Alice Krige as the Borg Queen), Khan (Ricardo Montalban, Benedict Cumberbatch), Q (John de Lancie), Shinzon (Tom Hardy) and many, many more.

CC sez: Purty!

Steranko: Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Artisan Edition

IDW | $39.99

Story/Art/Cover: Jim Steranko

In the mid-1960s, Jim Steranko burst into the Marvel Age of comics in a BIG way, and the innovative, cinematic techniques he introduced in his brief tenure at The House of Ideas stand to this day as a high-water mark in the history of graphic storytelling. More than any other series, Steranko is most associated with Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. This Artisan Edition collects the first 12 stories of Steranko's run, from Strange Tales #151-162, as well as his covers from these issues. Additionally, there will be a select number of extras presented. And, as usual, nearly all the pages have been scanned from the original art, from Steranko's private archives.

CC sez: Here's a second swing at this, in case you missed the Artist's Edition.

Stranger Things: The Tomb of Ywen #1 (of 4)Dark Horse | $3.99

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Diego Galindo | Cover: Marc Aspinall | Variant: Kyle Lambert | Variant: Diego Galindo |  Irvin Rodriguez

It’s January 1985. The Hawkins crew survived their battle with the terrible Mind Flayer, but Will is still reeling from the recent death of Bob Newby. Will’s friends have been too busy with their girlfriends to notice how much he is struggling. However, Will finds a way to bring the team back together again when he and Mr. Clarke discover a mysterious map Bob left in a box of old nerdy memorabilia. Will rallies the crew to investigate and they find more than they could have imagined. Stranger Things: Tomb of Ybwen explores grief and friendship all while capturing the Stranger Things’ sense of adventure. 

CC sez: You think there's any significance to "Ybwen" being "Newby" backwards?

Superman ‘78 #2

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Robert Venditti | Art: Wilfredo Torres | Cover: Ben Oliver | Variant: Bryan Hitch

After a battle with a rampaging robot, Superman enlists an unlikely ally to crack the code behind who sent it. He needs an intelligent technological genius, and that can only mean one person: Lex Luthor!

CC sez: Man, they're really getting the likenesses spot on, aren't they?

Superman & Lois Lane: The 25th Wedding Anniversary Deluxe Edition HC

DC Comics | $34.99

Story/Art: Various (A) Various | Cover: John Byrne

The marriage of Clark Kent and Lois Lane was a special event nearly 60 years in the making! Now, a quarter century later, we look back and celebrate that historic moment in Superman & Lois Lane: The 25th Wedding Anniversary Deluxe Edition! This beautiful hardcover collects the landmark Superman: The Wedding Album, along with other relationship highlights, including the lead-up to the altar (Superman #118) and the honeymoon (Adventures of Superman #541, Action Comics #728, Superman: The Man of Steel #63), with new extras!

CC sez: Jeepers, a quarter century? Of course, that marriage was un-did, and then did again, but I suppose it's still historic.

Super ‘Suckers #1

Binge Books | 68 Pages | Teens and Up | $4.99

Story: Darin Henry | Art: Jeff Schultz

Binge Books’ SitComics imprint, Super ‘Suckers #1, is a hilarious, 68-page standalone classic from Seinfeld writer Darin Henry & cartoonist Jeff Shultz (Betty & Veronica). College students Jess and Kelly catch a rare STD called “vampire” just as a sexy but deadly vampire slayer hits town! To stay alive, they must figure out what vampires do out of the shadows with help from their new “suck buddy” Stewart, and Vera, the exhibitionist roommate from hell! With laugh-out-loud Sit-Commercials drawn by Renee Reeser Zelnick, Jason Yungbluth and New Yorker artist Lonnie Millsap, Super ‘Suckers #1 is TV you read!

CC sez: Here's the second offering from Binge Books. I assume, given the art, that it's sort of teen-humor-meets-vampires. Like Vampironica, only Archie-er.

Transformers Halloween Special

IDW | $5.99

Story: Dan Watters | Art: Bethany McGuire-Smith | Cover: Nicole Goux | Variant: Livio Ramondelli 

Whispers of a disembodied spark howling alone in the desert are floating around Cybertron. Whispers of Starscream's loyalty to Megatron's cause are also floating around. Frustrated and needing some space to clear his head, Starscream visits the desert and is surprised to actually hear the rumored screams. He follows the sound and is met with a creature that makes him question what it means to be a cybernetic being. Starscream faces off with this grotesque experiment in "I Have No Mouth And I Must Starscream," by Dan Watters (Home Sick Pilots, Lucifer, The Sandman Universe).

CC sez: Nothing says "Halloween" to me like shapeshifting robots!

EVENTS & CROSSOVERS

Extreme Carnage Omega #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Phillip Kennedy Johnson | Art: Manuel Garcia | Cover: Dave Rapoza | Variant: Joshua Cassara | Variant: Jeff Johnson | Deadpool 30th Anniversary variant: Rob Liefeld | Variant: Skottie Young

IT'S ALL COME DOWN TO THIS! CARNAGE WINS!

CC sez: Yes, this endless regurgitation of Venom spinoffs if finally coming to an end. But don't relax just yet: a new monthly Venom series is right around the corner.

FEAR CITY

Detective #1043

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: Mariko Tamaki, Matthew Rosenberg | Art: Dan Mora, Darick Robertson | Cover: Dan Mora | Variant: Lee Bermejo

Fear State grips Gotham City! When Mayor Nakano’s city hall office finds itself under siege, the only hero who can help the embattled local official is the man Nakano pledged to rid from Gotham: Batman. The top vigilante in the city must protect the man who’s fought so hard to put an end to masked heroes in an action-packed car chase that culminates in a shocking ending that’ll give readers nightmares. Backup: Wait, how did Red Hood end up in Deb Donovan’s apartment? And what the hell gives him the right to eat all her frosted cereal? As Gotham’s troubled son and the city’s toughest reporter set out to uncover the mystery of the missing A-Day corpses, they run into more answers than they bargained for culminating in a deadly shoot out that renders Red Hood down for the count! Can Deb Donovan make it out alive to tell the tale of her harrowing adventure? And what will Red Hood's capture mean for the Bat-Family? It all leads to next month's terrifying new chapter in Gotham history: TASK FORCE Z!

CC sez: I'm going to remain skeptical about this crossover until I see evidence that it's going to end differently than what we saw in "Future State." If it marches resolutely to that ending, where's the suspense? And that end is such a downer, who wants to re-visit it?

Harley Quinn #7

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Laura Braga | Cover: Riley Rossmo | Variant: Derrick Chew

Heya, folks, Harley Quinn here! In case you all haven’t noticed…things have been a little wild lately. Hugo Strange, out-of-control orderlies, kidnapped clowns, and a new villain named Keepsake…it’s a lot for any one former villain turned antihero turned real hero with impeccable fashion sense to handle. I’m talkin’ about ME if that wasn’t clear. With all the Fear State happening in Gotham, I thought it would be a good time to go on a little camping trip. But, turns out, Gotham is gonna be Gotham…Keepsake’s forming a new army, Hugo’s playin’ dress-up, and the city is literally tearing itself apart. This looks like a job for Harley Quinn, Kevin, and...the Gardener? Oh yeah, Bella’s in this one, too! I just love her little plant dogs!

LOCKE & KEY/SANDMAN UNIVERSE

Locke & Key/Sandman Universe: Hell & Gone #2

DC Comics | 48 pages | $6.99

Story: Joe Hill | Art/Cover: Gabriel Rodriguez | Variant: J.H. Williams III | Variant: Kelley Jones

To win back her brother’s soul from Hell, Mary Locke has done the unthinkable — she’s seized control of the imprisoned Dream Lord’s artifacts of power and crossed over into his place of power, the Dreaming! Unfortunately, she’s managed to find herself in the middle of a war for the future of the kingdom, led by none other than the monstrous Corinthian. And even if Mary survives her encounter, the road to Hell ends in locked gates guarded by Etrigan the Demon and the all-powerful Lucifer himself!

CC sez: This has been delayed so long I've forgotten everything about it — except that I remember thinking that both art and story were marvelous, and that the cheeky attitude and dialogue of the 1920s-era lead character won me over. So I imagine this is good, too, although I'm fuzzy on the details.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

Star Wars #17

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Ramon Rosanas | Cover: Carlo Pagulayan | Blueprint variant: Paolo Villanelli | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant: Chris Sprouse

"THE CHASE!"

SITH LORD DARTH VADER has discovered that his son, Jedi Knight LUKE SKYWALKER, is finally within striking distance. He will pursue him to the very ends of space. Who is hunting whom? Meanwhile, LEIA ORGANA battles the forces of CRIMSON DAWN to regain her lost love, HAN SOLO.

CC sez: After endless issues starring obscure bounty hunters, we finally get some names I know!

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

10 Years to Death one-shot

Aftershock Comics | $6.99

Story: Aaron Douglas | Art/Cover: Cliff Richards

The Shawshank Redemption meets The Sixth Sense, inspired by an eerily bone-chilling true story.

A newly-hired prison guard, a notorious mass murderer finally incarcerated for his crimes, and the death that binds them together. What happens when the murdered becomes the murderer?

A prestige format "One-Shock" featuring top creative talent, 10 YEARS TO DEATH is a horrific, unnerving tale conceived and written by Aaron Douglas ("Chief" from the iconic TV series Battlestar Galactica), and drawn by Cliff Richards (SHOCK, Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

CC sez: A true crime story? Nice art? Good job!

After The Fall HC

Magnetic Press | Mature | $19.95

Story: Laurent Queyssi | Art/Cover: Juzhen

Earth. 116 years after the fall. Giala and her tribe live amongst the ruins of a metropolis turned upside down. When a gang of slave traffickers attacks them, the men are executed and the women are enslaved. Narrowly escaping, Giala has only one thing in mind: to rescue the children of the tribe and set things right.

CC sez: It's amazing how hot women are in every apocalypse we see. You'd think malnutrition, lice, fleas, poor hygiene, zero dental care, skin rashes/lesions, zero barbers and inadequate medical  care would have a say about that.

Corset #1

Scout Comics | $4.99

Story: Jurii Kirney | Art/Cover: Elina Kiyushnikova

Master Gregoire d'Alpen is a world-famous fashion designer and inventor. His groundbreaking corsets fascinate and inspire millions of people around the world. It's been years since he showed his face in public, living in seclusion in his mysterious clock tower high above the gothic city. One night, a young and naive girl named Elize ruins the master's grand fashion show. D'Alpen invites her to his tower, where he plans to reveal his dark secrets to her-but first, she must give him something in return.

CC sez: Every time I look at the hairdo on this cover, I think it's a brain.

Devil's Red Bride TPB

Vault | Mature | $15.99

Story: Sebastian Girner | Art/Cover: John Bivens

16th century Japan. The fates of warlords ebb and flow like tides of blood, none more than the Aragami Clan who follow their lord clad in the 'Red Devil' mask into every battle. But when Lord Aragami succumbs to illness, his daughter, the fierce Ketsuko, hatches a plot to save her people, no matter the cost.

Years later, as Ketsuko wanders the heaving battlefields of her ruined homeland, she discovers a chance to avenge the terrible wrong done to her clan, even if it means stepping back onto a road steeped in slaughter.

From writer Sebastin Girner (Shirtless Bear-Fighter!, Scales & Scoundrels) and artist John Bivens (Creature Feature, Spread) comes a blood-drenched love letter to Samurai fiction in a chilling tale of guilt, trauma, and vengeance.

CC sez: A female ronin. Interesting.

Edgar Allan Poe's Snifter of Death #1 (of 6)

Ahoy | Mature | $4.99

Story: Mark Russell, Stuart Moore | Art: Peter Sneibjerg, Frank Cammuso | Cover: Richard Williams

Irreverent, Poe-inspired tales of mystery and inebriation return in a new series! Mark Russell and Peter Snejbjerg expose chocolate vampires, fruit-flavored Frankensteins, and other crunchy creeps in an all-new Monster Serials thriller. If we survive that, writer Stuart Moore and artist Frank Cammuso chronicle an adventure of Edgar Allan Poe when he was a boy! Plus, illustrated prose features!

CC sez: Not be confused with Edgar Allan Poe's Snifter of Blood.

Gray Vol 1 HC

Clover Press | $26.99

Story: Arvind Ethan David | Art: Eugenia Koumaki, Diana Greenhalgh | Cover: Aron Weisenfeld

A graphic novel by the mind behind the Dirk Gently TV show, the Darkness Visible graphic novel, and the Jagged Little Pill Broadway musical, GRAY is a reimagined, modern feminist, politically charged update on Oscar Wilde's A Picture of Dorian Gray.

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde's only novel and one of the classics of gothic literature, is the tale of the most beautiful man of his age, who sells his soul and his conscience in exchange for eternal youth, beauty and power - and who spends his life murdering, raping and corrupting. All the time in his attic, his picture degrades and rots.

GRAY takes Wilde's classic novel and reinvents it as a tale of cathartic revenge for the #MeToo and Black Lives Matter era, a violent fantasy about how powerful, super-rich white men don't always win, how the powerless can find justice, and about how a murderous demon and a law-abiding detective can be soul mates.

Evidently a gender-swapped Portrait of Dorian Gray, and given how women's agency was so circumscribed in that era, a completely different story.

Click here for more info and a preview.

Human Remains #1

Vault Comics | $3.99

Story: Peter Milligan | Art: Sally Cantirino | Cover: Sally Cantrino | Variant: Josh Hixson | Variant: Corin Howell | Variant: Brendan McCarthy | Variant: Michael Allred

is thrilled to announce HUMAN REMAINS, a chilling new horror series from legendary writer Peter Milligan, (Shade: The Changing Man, X-Statix, Enigma), star artist Sally Cantirino (I Walk With Monsters, The Final Girls), colorist Dearbhla Kelly (I Walk With Monsters, Red Sonja), and designer Tim Daniel.

Dax and Bisa love each other. But in this new and terrifying world, love is dangerous. Feeling anything is dangerous. Earth has a new and terrible invader — monsters that deprive us of the very feelings that make us human. A shocking tale of pent-up emotions, perilously loud sex and forced compsure in the face of unspeakable horror…from one of the most celebrated writers in comics, Peter Milligan and breakout horror artist Sally Cantirino.

"London England, last summer. It was during the first lockdown and my wife and I were walking in Kenwood Park, North London, enjoying the one period of outside exercise we were allowed per day," said Peter Milligan of the origins of HUMAN REMAINS. "I watched the people around me, all keeping their distance from each other, all — at least all who had had any sense - somewhat wary.

"I was struck by how strange this all was. And I thought about all the things that had recently been so natural that we now could not do. All the touching, socializing, kissing, close-up talking. All that everyday human stuff. It seemed the virus was stripping us of some of the essential qualities of what it was to be human," Milligan continues. "A thought struck me, how much can you strip away from what it is to be human … before you stop being human?"

"Human Remains is about love, really," added Cantirino. "It's about mistakes, bad decisions, and both intentional and unintended harm. It's about the things we do because we love people — our lovers, our families, our communities — even people who don't love us back."

CC sez: I really don't care for that art. "Primitive" school, right? But they sent me a nice press release and cover images, so here ya go.

Lugosi: Rise & Fall of Hollywood's Dracula TPB

Humanoids | $24.99

Story: Koren Shadmi | Art: Koren Shadmi

As horror cinema's most iconic actor, Bela Lugosi is forever remembered for his haunting role as Count Dracula, frightening filmgoers for many years. But once the cameras finally stopped rolling ... that's when Lugosi himself learned what true terror was.

Beginning with his early life in Hungary as a young actor and activist, this first-of-its-kind graphic memoir details Lugosi's flight from his homeland after becoming an enemy of the state and his eventual move to the U.S., where his career flourished — for a while. Following a pivotal career mistake that allowed Boris Karloff's star to rise while his plummeted, Lugosi's pride, extravagant lifestyle and addiction to drugs, women, and the high life led to his tragic decline and humiliating later years that saw him join forces with infamous B-movie director Ed Wood for one last shot at stardom.

CC sez: Sadly, this is a story I already know all too well.

Manga Diary of a Male Porn Star Vol 1 GN

Ghost Ship | Mature | 160 pages | $14.99

Story: Erefante Kaeruno | Art: Erefante Kaeruno

A comedy that explores the ins-and-outs of working in the adult film industry! When your company goes bankrupt and your marriage is on the rocks, what's a guy to do? Move to Tokyo to become an adult film star, of course! This diary-style comedy explores the pitfalls of an everyman who tries to break into the world of porn because it seems like a pleasurable way to restart his life. He soon learns that it's a harder job than he bargained for!

CC sez: Imagine the outrage if Marvel or DC released a title with this name!

Click here for more information.

Masterful Cat is Depressed Again Today Vol 1 GN

Seven Seas | 136 pages | Teen (13+) | $13.99

Story/Art: Hitsuji Yamada

When Saku took in a stray black cat, she never expected that he would become the equivalent of a housekeeping life partner. But Yukichi, a giant cat who towers over Saku, is not your ordinary feline. He takes great pride in his culinary skills, and a good sale at the supermarket always gets his whiskers twitching. Saku may not have her act together yet, but at least she has Yukichi!

CC sez: This is taking the term "housecat" to a whole new level.

Click here for more information.

Night of Cadillacs #1 (of 2)

Scout Comics | $3.99

Story: Jake Hearns, Jeff Marsick | Art: Kirk Manley | Cover: Rob Prior

In the spirit of Lost Boys and Warriors, Night of the Cadillacs is a high-octane, genre-bending mix of horror, hard action, forbidden love, and street culture. Rival supernatural gangs come to earth on an overnight raiding mission to retrieve life-restoring blood from humans. While the gangs battle among themselves for prized Captives, a defiant and charismatic gangbanger breaks free from his crew to go on the run with a rebellious, 18 year old human girl to protect her from his predatory family.

CC sez: "Forbidden love?" Is that still code for gay? Because I don't think that's remotely forbidden any more.

Robyn Hood: Hunted one-shot

Zenescope | $5.99

Story: Joe Brusha | Cover: Al Barrionuevo

Take aim with this new 32-page story of pure adrenaline, as Robyn goes from a wanted vigilante, to a hunter prey!

Robyn has taken on all types of evil, from sleazy and seamlessly untouchable billionaires, to monster worshipping cults, and crazed-psychopaths, though one thing remained in common, she has always come out on top. But when she becomes the target of a mysterious hunter out for blood and Robyn's head all the luck the skill in the world might not be enough to stop her from becoming a trophy for this demented predator!

CC sez: I don't read any Zenescope books, so does anyone know what's up with Robyn Hood's left eye? Is it blind, or is it some sort of Cable-ish super-power thingie? I hope the latter, because a one-eyed archer is hard to believe.

Verge #1

Red 5 Comics | $3.95

Story: Bryce McLellan | Art: Silvo DB | Cover: Dexter Wee

A mysterious time travel event known as the Verge had brought thousands of people from across all of history to New York City. Vikings, Samurai, Romans, Mayans, Cavemen and thousands of others all live in a vast and turbulent melting pot. Connie Liu, an NYPD Detective, investigates the murder of three Samurai, a case which threatens to turn the divisions in the city into all out war.

CC sez: Talk about throwing everything against the wall!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I try not to be too negative here, but reading the preview and the spoilers sure does make me want to never read another Spider-Man comic ever again.  I wish they'd take the atititude that the comic strip did and be all, "Ha-ha, don't worry, folks, none of that s*** actually happened."

I will now do my best not to be negative here for the rest of the day.

• "I try not to be too negative here, but reading the preview and the spoilers sure does make me want to never read another Spider-Man comic ever again."

I reached that point some time ago, to the extent that I don't even read solicitations of upcoming stories. I did read your post, though, then I went back to read the preview and the spoilers. You pretty much summed it up.

"HOUSE OF (RECYCLED) IDEAS": I try not to be too negative, either, but "Inferno"? What is it about Marvel reusing old plots these days? Marvel has received many laurels in years past; today Marvel can be found resting on them.

KANG: Here's a series (not reviewed above, but shipped today) that actually sounded pretty interesting to me, but it's one of those I mentioned last week that just doesn't look like a comic book to me. I flipped through it and put it back on the shelf. 

THE ART OF PULP FICTION: I remember when this book was solicited. I specifically didn't pre-order it because I didn't want to commit to buying it sight unseen. I figured I'd forego my additional pre-order discount and decide when it shipped. Unfortunately, my LCS apparently didn't order one for the shelf. :(

I bought nine comics today which I'll post about after I read them. 

• Batman vs. Bigby: A Wolf in Gotham #1 (of 6) - File this under "Team-Ups I Never Expected to See!" But who doesn't love Bigby Wolf? - I'm right there with ya, Cap!

Art of Pulp Fiction Illustrated History of Vintage Paper - I may have ordered this one, Jeff. I homestly don't remember. I know it sounded great.

CC sez: I've never been a Deathstroke fan, and don't understand why he keeps getting solo titles. What's the appeal of this character? Well, at least this time he's (sorta) on the side of the angels. - I've always been a fan of the character. I thought the end to his last series by Christopher Priest was very well done. But I understand were you are coming from, I have the same feeling about a lot of characters.

Firefly - I never got it, personally.

I like the Artisan's Editions, a cheaper price point.

Locke & Key/Sandman Universe: Hell & Gone #2 - I thought this had already come out and I had just missed it. Glad I didn't make much of an effort to find it.

• As indicated in "This Week in Comics," I've been reading the "Sinister War" event as I knew it would culminate in Peter Parker being replaced by Ben Reilly, and I wanted to see the mechanism by which that was done. This, even though my enthusiasm for Spider-Man has been tempered by many disappointments.

I will give the current storyline credit for this: It's trying really hard to correct/undo two of those disappointments, "Brand New Day" and "Sins Past."

Spoilers ahoy. Do not read further if you don't want to be spoiled on the events of Amazing Spider-Man #74, which shipped Sept. 29.

While you think about it, here's a picture of Aquaman.

9631857263?profile=RESIZE_710xBack? OK:

-- The two children of Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn from "Sins Past" have been revealed to be Gwen clones, with Mephisto having fooled Osborn into thinking they were his children. The affair, it turns out, never happened. The villain Kindred, long hinted to be Gwen, turns out to be the female clone and not Gwen at all. (Who remains dead.)

-- The Harry Osborn that miraculously returned to life turns out to be a clone. The real Harry, it turns out, has been dead ever since the first time he died, and has been in Hell ever since, tortured by Mephisto.

-- That's because Osborn was given the Goblin formula by Mephisto way back in the Ditko era, in exchange for Harry's soul. (This tracks, because it was established in issue #37 that Mendel Stromm was the brains behind Osborn’s company. Osborn needed help to invent anything ... like the Goblin formula.) Man, there is no depth to which Osborn won't sink.

-- Dr. Strange is unable to undo Mephisto's manipulation of Peter Parker, because "Brand New Day" had a consequence: Mephisto has part of Parker's soul because of the agreement. Strange is negotiating with Mephisto to get it back, but negotiating with the devil is, famously, difficult.

-- Since Peter has been under Mephisto's influence ever since Brand New Day, readers can dismiss any or all of his behavior they want to.

-- The reason for all this is that Mephisto knows his own fate, and it's to be thwarted by May "Mayday" Parker. So he pursued an arcane plan to prevent her birth that wasn't obvious to Peter or Mary Jane.

Those are all positive (and plausible) developments that erase a lot of ugly. I have to say, though, that these sorts of retcons always feel like a bit of a foot slog, like when Roy Thomas went out of his way to explain why the Golden Age Aquaman briefly wore yellow gloves in All-Star Squadron. And it may be too little, too late for me.

But I do applaud the effort.

• "I will give the current storyline credit for this: It's trying really hard to correct/undo two of those disappointments, 'Brand New Day' and 'Sins Past.'"

Interesting. I did hate those two stories, the "one-two punch" that drove me away from Spider-Man.

"And it may be too little, too late for me."

Alas, I fear you are correct. 

• If we had a time machine we could go back and slap the editors for allowing them to happen at all.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I will give the current storyline credit for this: It's trying really hard to correct/undo two of those disappointments, 'Brand New Day' and 'Sins Past.'"

Interesting. I did hate those two stories, the "one-two punch" that drove me away from Spider-Man.

"And it may be too little, too late for me."

Alas, I fear you are correct. 

• "Art of Pulp Fiction Illustrated History of Vintage Paper - I may have ordered this one, Jeff. I honestly don't remember. I know it sounded great."

This one shipped to my LCS this week (Oct. 6). My intention to flip through it before committing was thwarted, though, because it was shrink-wrapped. :(

• I still haven't been to my LCS to even confirm if I got it. I'll know on Sunday, as I'm working that day.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Art of Pulp Fiction Illustrated History of Vintage Paper - I may have ordered this one, Jeff. I honestly don't remember. I know it sounded great."

This one shipped to my LCS this week (Oct. 6). My intention to flip through it before committing was thwarted, though, because it was shrink-wrapped. :(

This reply was deleted.