I miss my comics, but it remains financially infeasible for me to purchase them. While I've been able to work around this with the odd title or two I could find at the book store or the library, I'm missing much more than I'm catching.

But then I figured, well, there's at least a fair chance someone here is reading these books, right? So I've taken a look at the list of comics that came out this week, and figured out which ones I would've (or might have) bought if I had the money. If you've gotten any of these books, please: tell me what happened; full-on reviews, summaries, opinions, surprises...I wanna know!
  • Action Comics Annual #13
  • Generation Hope #2
  • Heroes For Hire #1
  • Rasl #9
  • She-Hulks #2
(Any backstory on Generation Hope or She-Hulks #1 would be appreciated too, of course.)

Thanks! And if anyone else wants an update on a title that came out this week, you should request it here, too. This can be an official open-spoilers zone for us to help each other keep up to date. :)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I won't make it to the store until next week but I can fill you in on Generation Hope #2 after that.

For now, Generation Hope is picking up on elements from the "Five Lights" story in Uncanny X-Men which itself is picking up on elements from the end of "Second Coming." At the end of Second Coming, the restriction preventing new mutants in the Marvel U has been lifted. Cerebra immediately detected five new mutants manifesting powers.

In "Five Lights," the X-Men and Hope have been flying around the world trying to find these new mutants. They are the the typical adolescent onset-of-puberty mutants, like Kitty Pryde or the New Mutants. Unfortunately, their new powers are initially out of control. On the plus side, Hope is able to stabilize these mutants and give them a semblance of control.

"Generation Hope" picks up as Hope and the other new mutants make their way to Japan to find the last of the newly activated mutants. Once again, the mutant's powers are running wild and threatening to cause major destruction. However, at this point, it isn't clear if the mutant is merely out of control or actually evil.

And that should get you ready for issue 2.
  • Of those on your list for this week, Alan, I've bought Action Comics Annual 313 abd Rasl #9 but I haven't read them yet.

Are you interested in any of these from last week which I have read?

Thunderstrike #1
    Captain America #612
    Secret Avengers #7
    Superman #705
    Dead Avengers #3
    Batman Odyssey #5
  • Thanks, Chris! I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Jeff, as far as your offer goes... Captain America and Superman are ones that a couple of the libraries around here get monthly, so they're not pressing; I'm apathetic about Thunderstrike (but would certainly be happy to read about it if you wanted to write about it) and have heard nothing that makes me want to care about Batman Odyssey at all. The two Avengers books could be good, though! I've only read issue one of Secret Avengers, and hadn't even heard of Dead Avengers...
  • Of those I only get RASL but I get my books at the end of the month so you'll have to wait for spoilers unless somebody gets it before me.
  • Action Comics Annual #13 is similar to most of the S-title annuals of the past several years in that it reveals hidden facets of main characters’ backgrounds and supplements current monthly continuity, but isn’t essential. The first story takes place “many years ago” and reveals a hitherto unknown apprenticeship Luthor served under Darkseid in this new, post-whatever continuity. Neither story nor art were particularly evocative of Jack Kirby’s New Gods, but the layouts were (of the Hunger Dogs graphic novel, specifically, an odd choice).

The second story takes place “not so many years ago” and is a poetic telling of Ra’s Al Ghul’s tutelage of Lex Luthor.
  • Rasl #9: I may not be the best person to update you on Rasl #9. I’ve read every issue, each one only once, as they were released. Each month issue, before I read it, I can’t quite remember why I’m buying this series, but each month issue, after I read it, I enjoy it. From what I have read so far I know it will read better in a single sitting, but Smith dosen’t have enough issues under his belt for that even yet. I would say is you’ve liked what you’ve seen so far you should like this as well, but you’d be safe tradwaiting this one.

I may post some thoughts on those other comics I mentioned to other threads.
  • Generation Hope #2: (A quick tangent. I started buying this series as an experiment to see if someone who hasn't read mutant book in years could pick this up and follow what is going on. I may post about that later.) Kenji the mutant they are looking for in Japan has caused a lot of destruction and death. Hope tries to get him under control, but realizes what she is seeing is an illusions created by Kenji. She then takes over his powers, and is not able to handle it, and she is unconscious. Eventually, the X-men get Kenji away from where they were and they tell the other Lights to stay put. Cyclops wants Rogue to absorb some of Kenji's powers to be able to fight him. She does, and she can't handle it either. "His mind is his body!" or something along those lines.

We do get to see the Lights use their powers with some affect, and I like how Wolverine can understand the noises, the other animalistic mutant, Teon makes.
  • Looks like Travis beat me to the recap on Generation Hope. Thanks, Travis.
  • I read issue 9 this weekend. I compeletly aggree with Jeff on this one. As to what happens, well:

The main character is walking through the dessert with the little girl who is apparently God and another guy who is the president. They talk about time travel and what not. They dissapear leaving the main character. I know his name's been given but don't remember what it is. He goes back to his jeep but somebody is there and steals something and then leaves via time travel. I know it doesn't make much sense but honestly that's what happened. It's good, trust me.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Rasl #9: I may not be the best person to update you on Rasl #9. I’ve read every issue, each one only once, as they were released. Each month issue, before I read it, I can’t quite remember why I’m buying this series, but each month issue, after I read it, I enjoy it. From what I have read so far I know it will read better in a single sitting, but Smith dosen’t have enough issues under his belt for that even yet. I would say is you’ve liked what you’ve seen so far you should like this as well, but you’d be safe tradwaiting this one.

I may post some thoughts on those other comics I mentioned to other threads.
  • Thanks, Jason! (And a belated thanks to Travis, too.) I'd forgotten I started this thread. :)
This reply was deleted.