OK, a gap opened up in the Sourcewall, see, and out dropped disks of the old 60's Marvel Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man and Sub-Mariner cartoon.  It's been close to forty-five since I've seen them last, and I never even knew they was Thor and Sub-Mariner ones when I was a kid. So, anyway, let's see what I see.

Views: 2521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Baron said:

Episode Eleven: "The Sleeper Shall Awake!"
In which Cap battles the various Sleeper robots. Whenever I see the Sleepers, I always wonder why, if the Nazis could build stuff like this, they didn't use them in the war instead of burying them?

I had a little trouble suspending disbelief on the Sleepers, too.

Episode Twelve: "The Girl from Cap's Past!"
Also, there's Batroc and something called Inferno-42. Batroc is played like a comedy Frenchman.

When was Batroc NOT played like a comedy Frenchman (except for the movie).

Episode Thirteen: "The Red Skull Lives!"
The Red Skull teams up with AIM, but steals the Cosmic Cube, and then Cap tricks him because he's a dumbass. If I ever get ahold of a Cosmic Cube, my archenemy is being turned into a golden retriever, instantly.

Remind me to stay on your good side. ARF!

Weirdly, my local station only showed Captain America and Iron Man cartoons. I never saw then, nor have I seen since, the Grantray-Lawrence Sub-Mariner, Hulk or Thor cartoons. The price of growing up in a backwater, I guess.

While the Sleepers themselves are pretty far-fetched, there were many German technological advancements during World War II that were well ahead of their time. They weren't developed because of various reasons, usually being that Hitler didn't see the need or potential for them.

The Baron said:

In which Cap battles the various Sleeper robots.  Whenever I see the Sleepers, I always wonder why, if the Nazis could build stuff like this, they didn't use them in the war instead of burying them?

...I recall a Cap 1-shot a few years back , Richard , which along with a reprint of an early Kirby Batroc story , had a new story with a more realistieek , how do you put eet , as a real international supeer-creemanalle , Batrock Ze Beepair , maus oui !...

Richard Willis said:

The Baron said:

In which Cap battles the various Sleeper robots. Whenever I see the Sleepers, I always wonder why, if the Nazis could build stuff like this, they didn't use them in the war instead of burying them?

I had a little trouble suspending disbelief on the Sleepers, too.

Episode Twelve: "The Girl from Cap's Past!"
Also, there's Batroc and something called Inferno-42. Batroc is played like a comedy Frenchman.

When was Batroc NOT played like a comedy Frenchman (except for the movie).

Episode Thirteen: "The Red Skull Lives!"
The Red Skull teams up with AIM, but steals the Cosmic Cube, and then Cap tricks him because he's a dumbass. If I ever get ahold of a Cosmic Cube, my archenemy is being turned into a golden retriever, instantly.

Remind me to stay on your good side. ARF!

Absolutely. The Germans had jet fighters by the end of the war, for example. At that point, though, they simply didn't have the resources to build enough of them to make a difference. They also developed rockets, and had ICBMs on the drawing board. Again, though, they couldn't follow through, with the Russians knocking on the door and all.

Randy is completely correct as well, in that some of these things would have been in the field earlier and in greater numbers had Hitler OK'd them earlier. He didn't, though, because he thought he would win conventionally. It was only when the Third Reich was collapsing that he OK'd the more esoteric weapons -- which was too late.

Randy Jackson said:

While the Sleepers themselves are pretty far-fetched, there were many German technological advancements during World War II that were well ahead of their time. They weren't developed because of various reasons, usually being that Hitler didn't see the need or potential for them.

The Baron said:

In which Cap battles the various Sleeper robots.  Whenever I see the Sleepers, I always wonder why, if the Nazis could build stuff like this, they didn't use them in the war instead of burying them?

Also, they had a time machine that SS General Hans Kammler used to escape Allied forces at the end of the war, but it rematerialized and crashed In Kecksburg, PA in 1965.

It must be true, 'cause I saw it all on The History Channel!

There was that story in the 70s where the FF went back to prevent Germany from winning the war, since they'd somehow gotten some vibranium. It looked like they'd won, but then the Watcher turned up in Marvel Two In One and got the Thing to figure out (without speaking to him, as if appearing at all to him wasn't going against his vow he'd just gotten into big trouble for breaking in Captain Marvel) they hadn't solved the problem and he had to go back again. Germany had developed the V2 rockets in 1942 instead of too late to do them any good and their appearance so early was changing history.

Interesting the Red Skull doesn't turn up alive in the present until the last episode, suggesting they were thinking of continuing the series.

"The incredible Hulk" - Episode One: "The Origin of the Hulk"

1)Another great theme.

2)What is the Hulk's origin these days? Are they still using the gamma bomb test?

3)Could Igor be more obviously a spy?

4)What kind of security did they have that Rick could just wander in to the test site?

5)"The Gorgon"? Wasn't he the Gargoyle?

Episode Two: "The Terror of the Toad Men"

1)"We have captured the greatest mind on Earth".

2)I'd  forgotten what  a dumbass Ross was.

Episode Three: "A Titan Rides the Train"

1)In which the Leader tries to steal a nuke!

2)Cliffhanger: Bruce is in enemy hands, behind the "Steel Curtain"!

Unfortunately, the disk seizes up halfway through episode four, so that's as far as I can go with the Hulk right now.

"The Mighty Thor"

Episode One: "Trapped by Loki"

1)I am somewhat less impressed by this theme..

2)In which Loki hypnotizes Thor and steals his hammer, but Don Blake fools him with a plastic dummy, thus proving that Loki is not only the god of mischief, but also the god of being an utter dumbass.

The Hulk episodes you describe were based on The Incredible Hulk #1 and #2 and Tales to Astonish #63 (the Leader's first full story, after his introduction the previous issue). The Thor story sounds based on the second Loki one from Journey into Mystery #88, which apart from the theft of the hammer was a rerun of the first.

Less impressed with Thor's theme than with which of the others? Definitely better than Hulk's or Iron Man's.

Something wrong with the Hulk DVD? Glad I didn't buy it. They shouldn't be releasing substandard discs. Who's putting them out?

Episode Three: "A Titan Rides the Train"

1)In which the Leader tries to steal a nuke!

I'm reminder of Star Trek V ... Why does [a] God need a nuke?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service