A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The four member era has many 5 character covers ie Avengers plus a villain. But this is just Avengers, Wasp is in the story but not featured here.
    12438362697?profile=RESIZE_930x

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/12438362697?profile=RESIZE_1200x
  • Five characters 

12438415086?profile=RESIZE_400x

• In the front seat, we have Saitama the Caped Baldy and  his disciple, Genos the Demon Cyborg. In the back seat are Tatsumaki the Terrible Tornado, King, and Fubuki, the Hellish Blizzard, who  is Tatsumaki's younger sister. No, I'm not counting the dragonfly as a character.

12438431894?profile=RESIZE_400x

• When DC launched DC Comics Presents as a Superman team-up book corresponding to Batman's The Brave and the Bold, and featuring the fourth Superman-Flash race in a two-part story, you bet I bought it!  Covers by José Luis García-López, with inks by Dan Adkins.

(This was the fourth cover-featured "official" race, but there was an earlier speed contest between the two, as Commander Benson has identified).

12438454892?profile=RESIZE_584x

12438455283?profile=RESIZE_584x

Deck Log Entry # 243 The Silver-Age Challenge---Speedsters . . . Answers!
      And at the wire . . .   The results of my Silver-Age challenges pose a conflict of interest for me.  I’m always impressed by you, my fellow Legion…
  • 678039.jpg

• 115951-hr.jpg?v=1713647177&width=600

• Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez was THE DC artist of his day. I seriously doubt there was a character he couldn't draw. Case in point...

12438683881?profile=RESIZE_400x

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

• An early Superman cover by JLGL though he was mismatched with Bob Oksner inks (though I do like Oksner's work). Inside it was worse because there were THREE different inkers.

Remember the plan was for JLGL to replace Curt Swan eventually! 

12438688476?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Superboy #104 - Curt Swan cover. The cover depicts a very familiar trope.

12438699691?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Lee Houston, Junior said:

Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez was THE DC artist of his day.

I am experiencing his work for the first time in this discussion. The comics he was working on weren’t ones I was buying at the time, shortly before my “cold turkey” decade started.

This reply was deleted.