A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I tried posting with about 20 minutes to spare on Friday night EDT, but I kept getting error messages. I can get through now although it's technically Saturday morning, so since I missed Friday, here's a double header courtesy of the Grand Comics Database. Two covers by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez inked by Dick Giordano with a similar theme. Enjoy.

12496677096?profile=RESIZE_400x

12496672296?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Police Comics #5

12499122488?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Another dramatic head-shot from José Luis García-López, this one on an Italian comic.  I've found a number of foreign-language covers by García-López.  This one is unusual, as it appears not to be a reprint from a US comic, unlike others I've seen.

12500473066?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Five characters

12502357299?profile=RESIZE_400x

• 97993536520.39.jpg

• 1098327.jpg

• I just LOVED this four-issue story arc. Today it might have been a stand-alone miniseries. 

David V. Reed doesn't get much love any more, but back then he wrote some very entertaining stories. In this one, "The Underworld Olympics '76," teams of international crooks converge on Gotham to pull off audacious crimes just to show off their prowess and get bragging rights.

One of the best bits was when the North American team was given an assignment that required them to do something on the midnight ferry to Tompkinsville. Unfortunately, budget cuts previous month caused Gotham City to cancel the midnight ferry service to Tompkinsville. No matter, said the contest judge; complete the assignment as given or forfeit. So what do our crooks do? They rob a numbers operation -- running away, one of the guys yells, "A million thanks, Max!" -- and donate the take to the city to get the midnight ferry to Tompkinsville back in service that night!

They don't make 'em like this any more. Too bad.

• Sorry, been absent for a few days. We're currently attempting the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path (186 miles - I promised myself I would complete it before I died) and the last few evenings I've been too exhausted to turn the laptop on. I'll try and catch up. Here's Mystery In Space #10 (Oct 1952) with cover drawn by Murphy Anderson. 

12507377297?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Followed by Journey Into Mystery #109 - cover art by Jack Kirby (ignore Toad - I don't hink he should be featured).

12507498853?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Bulletman #5

12517184273?profile=RESIZE_400x

This reply was deleted.