I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  The cast of Crankshaft spent two weeks at the San Diego ComiCon (July 10-22).

(July 21 is my favorite.)

Click HERE and advance.

I've never been, but this would have been the year to go (without all those "Hollywood" folks there).

Crankshaft by Tom Batiuk and Dan Davis for July 10, 2023 | GoComics.com
    July 10, 2023
  • Jeff of Earth-J July 31, 2023 at 1:16pm

The cast of Crankshaft spent two weeks at the San Diego ComiCon (July 10-22).

They went in-person last year when there was no in-person attendance.

This year they went and finished before the convention started.

(I still love the strip)

I used to go starting in the early 70s when it was all comic books and watching movies. (movie projectors running all night before there were any home videos).

• I lost the narrative thread of the Funky Winkerbean comic strip back in the 1990s when I was not taking a daily paper. But now, thanks to the Kent State University Press, I can recitify that oversight with THE COMPLETE FUNKY WINKERBEAN, volume eight of which reprints the years 1993-1996.  A memorable sequence from 1994 is when a student brings a gun to school. Westview High's principal, Fred Fairgood said: "We were all victims of that gun that was brought into school today! The school board has been thinking about installing cameras and hiring security personnel, and now those things will probably become reality... and future generations of Westview students won't remember a time when it felt safe to be in school without them!"

Another memorable sequence from 1994: instead of selling Thanksgiving turkeys, the band sells plots of land in Bill & Hillary Clinton's Whitewater development.

In 1995, Wally and Monroe become th new Funky and Les, and the comic book shop Komix Korner is introduced on Sunday, April 2. The high school literary magazine sponsored by Les Moore comes under attack, he and Lisa take steps toward becoming a couple, and, most memorably, Susan Smith attempts suicide. This plot development I do remember, from the wordless single-panel strip which ran Sunday, June 25, and from the coverage in my local paper. I still have the article about it, the angry letters and the strip itself clipped from the St.Louis Post-Dispatch, but I experienced it completely out of context. For example, I didn't learn until today that [SPOILER] Susan survived [END SPOILER]. The introduction to The Complete Funky Winkerbean (v8) also includes copious coverage and reprinted newspaper articles. 

All of the "The Funnies Aren't Funny Anymore" lamentations which inevitably surface after every comic strip death of a sympathetic character never cease to amuse me (in a sad way), because they've been around (at least!) since [SPOILER] "The Death of Mary Gold" in The Gumps (1929) [END SPOILER].

• 11xaWcr.gif

King Features Syndicate is replacing The Amazing Spider-Man syndicated newspaperr comic strip with a revival of Flash Gordon. From The Washington Post"Flash Gordon, American Icon, Returns to Comics After a 20-Year Break"

I'll give it a try, bur don't expect lush artwork at the caliber of Alex Raymond. Looking a the results from things like Nancy, Popeye, Mark Trail and now Flash Gordon, it seems the ability to draw is no longer a requirement for today's comic strip artists.

• Ooh... that don't look good.

2731790c703f74ae87b139ce5accd2aa58254bbc.avif

I think I've seen as much as I need to.

• Looks to me like someone doing their best Michael Avon Oeming impersonation. I'm personally tired of that style, but isn't it popular these days? 

• Drawing in that style is probably why this guy was hired.

This reply was deleted.