I've been making my way through Showcase Presents: Booster Gold for the second time (nothing earth-shattering, but fun ad solid all the way), and I was struck by something, and I was wondering how others felt about this at the time.

As I recall, when the comic was first introduced, the entire premise left me completely cold.  Heck, I thought it was a comic about a race car driver.  I had zero interest, and thus I never really encountered the character until a handful of years ago (within the last ten, I'd say).

Was anyone else entirely disinterested at the time of his introduction?  Did anyone else discover him late and start really enjoying what was going on?  I'm honestly just curious.

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics wrote: "The character was a jock, which I can't relate to. ... In short, he was very much like a lot of people I didn't like in high school, and I was not in a hurry to spend a lot of time with him."

Cap, I know whereof you speak. But things have changed since the '60s and '70s, when jocks and other campus "royalty" despised comics and the "dorks" who read them. Today, a lot of athletes and sports fans are also into comics. And they never miss a superhero movie. (Maybe Stan Lee foresaw this, by having super-jock Flash Thompson as Spidey's biggest fan.)

So, hey ... our side won! It may have taken 40 years, but they came around to our way of thinking.
You're right, George -- the geek did inherit the Earth! Today's comics fan enjoys an environment light years better than those harrowing days of yore (and mine). And that's a good thing!
Re "The geek did inherit the Earth:"

Cap, I keep thinking of a routine by Bill Maher, where he says:

"Stop sending me those Classmates.com pop-up ads. There's a reason why you don't talk to people for 25 years -- because you don't particularly like them. Besides, I know what the captain of the football team is doing these days -- he's mowing my lawn."

Heh heh.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service