1. How is the Coronavirus situation where you live? What's closed down? Have you gone out much? Are you (Oh, what's the trendy term now " Self-distancing "?) staying inside as a precaution or actually infected or is anyone else you know? I hope, if so, you're well. Let's...well, exchange comments.
  2.   I am now in Portland, Oregon. The Govenor, and then, locally, Portland declared a state of emergency. I saw the comment made that Oregon was the furthest behind on dealing with CV of the 3 West Coast states.
  3.   I went out yesterday ( Sun.), I am ill and had sleep to make up to-day (Mon.) and ended up not going out - I may go out across the street to a all-nite grocery tonite-early Tues. I have not heard of a regular medical appointment Tues. being cancelled.

Views: 4067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ClarkKent_DC said:

We're planning to travel to Cincinnati for a wedding about a month from now, but there's been a hiccup: the day before the bridal shower, the groom came down with a breakthrough case of COVID. 

The wedding is still on. Both the bride and groom were vaccinated, and the bride is quarantining in her future mother-in-law's guest room. 

We're back from the wedding, and things went beautifully. The groom was fully recovered, the bride was beautiful (she did have her bridal shower, about two weeks after the original date), and both families were in attendance.

I mention that because the bride's parents are divorcing, and it's not ugly, but it is painful. Also, about three weeks ago, the bride's brother and his wife had a baby, but he was born with a birth defect, one of those bizarro cases you might see on Grey's Anatomy or other medical drama: the aorta and pulmonary artery were switched. Supposedly, this is not that unheard of and is a relatively easy fix, but our newborn was very weak and he needed to wait in the neonatal ICU just to be sure he was strong enough to handle the necessary surgery.

Well, during the ceremony, the minister offered a prayer for those present and for those who couldn't be there because of death or illness ... including a special prayer for the baby, who passed away a few days ago. 

The wedding and reception were in the clubhouse of Paul Brown Stadium, as the bride and the groom are both diehard football fans (her, the Cincinnati Bengals; him, the Indianapolis Colts). It also didn't hurt that the father of the bride is an employee of the Bengals, but he told us he didn't have much to do with it as the venue was the bride's top choice from four prospects. (Still, I think she got a break on the price.)

One perk of a wedding at such a site: between the wedding and the reception, the guests were allowed into the stadium for an hour ... and the wedding party got to frolic on the playing field! They tossed around a frisbee, kicked field goals through the uprights, ran through the tunnel onto the field ... and the bride stomped on a friend's Pittsburgh Steelers rally towel.

A fun time was had by all. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

The wedding and reception were in the clubhouse of Paul Brown Stadium, as the bride and the groom are both diehard football fans (her, the Cincinnati Bengals; him, the Indianapolis Colts). It also didn't hurt that the father of the bride is an employee of the Bengals, but he told us he didn't have much to do with it as the venue was the bride's top choice from four prospects. (Still, I think she got a break on the price.)

One perk of a wedding at such a site: between the wedding and the reception, the guests were allowed into the stadium for an hour ... and the wedding party got to frolic on the playing field! They tossed around a frisbee, kicked field goals through the uprights, ran through the tunnel onto the field ... and the bride stomped on a friend's Pittsburgh Steelers rally towel.

A fun time was had by all. 

Forgot to mention: Scheduling a fall wedding at a football stadium meant waiting until the team's schedule was released, since they had to choose a date that fell when the team was away. The couple chose three possible dates, and got their first pick, when the Bengals went to Baltimore to play the Ravens (and trounced them, 41-17).

Letitia Wright being an anti-vaxxer has come back to bite Disney, as Black Panther: Wakanda Forever continues production. 

Actually, production has stopped, because Wright was injured on set in Boston while doing a stunt, which is merely unfortunate. She is recovering at her home in London, which is all well and good, while director Ryan Coogler continued to film what he could without her for the past two months. Well, he's out of scenes he can film without her.

The problem? Just this Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new standard stipulating non-citizen, non-immigrant air travelers must show proof of full vaccination before being allowed to fly into the United States. 

Wright isn't vaccinated, so how is she going to re-enter the country to finish the movie? 

She's not the only one. Ice Cube backed out of a pending movie -- and a $9 million payday -- because he's an anti-vaxxer. This week, some actor from General Hospital got himself fired, right when Hollywood is getting stricter about needing the cast and crews in productions to be vaccinated -- especially the ones in what's called Zone A, the area right in front of the camera, where the actors can't be wearing masks.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Letitia Wright being an anti-vaxxer has come back to bite Disney, as Black Panther: Wakanda Forever continues production. 

Actually, production has stopped, because Wright was injured on set in Boston while doing a stunt, which is merely unfortunate. She is recovering at her home in London, which is all well and good, while director Ryan Coogler continued to film what he could without her for the past two months. Well, he's out of scenes he can film without her.

The problem? Just this Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a new standard stipulating non-citizen, non-immigrant air travelers must show proof of full vaccination before being allowed to fly into the United States. 

Wright isn't vaccinated, so how is she going to re-enter the country to finish the movie? 

Disney has good lawyers, but I sincerely doubt they included refusing vaccines in the insurance policy for the movie. If they abandon the movie they can try to sue Letitia Wright. I doubt she has enough money. Maybe she'll decide to "do research" and have the vaccine. If not, they would probably opt to recast her. So the sequel to The Black Panther would be without the three most popular actors in the first movie.

Box office? What box office?

Richard Willis said:

Disney has good lawyers, but I sincerely doubt they included refusing vaccines in the insurance policy for the movie. If they abandon the movie they can try to sue Letitia Wright. I doubt she has enough money. Maybe she'll decide to "do research" and have the vaccine. If not, they would probably opt to recast her. So the sequel to The Black Panther would be without the three most popular actors in the first movie.

Box office? What box office?

I have a friend who was over the moon at the idea Letitia Wright could be the lead in the Black Panther sequel. This was when the loss of Chadwick Boseman was fresh and nobody knew how Disney would regroup. I wasn't sold on Wright then and I am less so now. My friend was going on about how Wright is a box office draw because she was in hits like Ready Player One, Black Panther and Avengers: Infinity War. I said that just tells me she has a good agent who's gotten her into ensemble movies; it doesn't prove she's a draw on her own. 

There is the assumption that because in the comics, Shuri became the Black Panther after T'Challa stepped down, the movies have to follow suit. They don't, but since we are in the unfortunate position where T'Challa isn't coming back -- recasting is absolutely out of the question -- that would be the course to follow. 

But I have always believed, and still do, that the best course would be to put the mantle onto another person in the cast, one who I think as a character is a natural choice, and as an actor does have the presence and star power to pull it off: Danai Gurira as Okoye. I would watch an Okoye movie all day long.

I took my first airplane trip in two years. Most people complied with mask requirements all of the time; some people complied most of the time. 

Last weekend I volunteered at the Giant-Size Charlotte Mini-Con (a two-day event midway in size between the full HeroesCon and the one-day Mini-Com they usually have in the Fall). There was a requirement to prove either vaccination or a recent negative COVID test for entry, and I know that was strictly enforced. Attendees were supposed to stay masked the entire time as well, which went about the same as Jeff's airline experience. I don't think there was any attempt to police the mask mandate, which was a bit disappointing, but I still felt reasonably safe.

When I went to that wedding in Cincinnati I flew, which was the first time for me in a few years. I don't have occasion to fly very often; maybe once every three years or so, if that. I'm not afraid of trouble with the plane; flying is statistically the safest way to travel, after all.

And when you think about it, you have many more reasons to fear driving. Even if you think you are a safe driver, you know nothing about the other drivers on the road. You don't know if any of them are drunk, or sober, or high, or got enough sleep last night, or took their meds, or took too many meds, or are moments away from having a stroke or a heart attack or an aneurysm ... not to mention the possibilities for mechanical failure or other problems.

No, today I'm afraid of getting on a plane and having my flight disrupted by some knucklehead fighting with the flight attendant because he's refusing to wear a mask. I don't get that. They were legally obligated to wear a mask the entire time they were at the airport BEFORE they got on the plane, so why pitch a fit now?

But people come on planes spoiling for a fight. Earlier this week, the Federal Aviation Administration stated that it has handled 5,100 reports of unruly passengers this year, and fined the 10 worst offenders a total of $225,000. There have been more FAA investigations of unruly passengers this year than in the previous six years combined, and the head of the flight attendants' association says things are on track to have more incidents this year than EVERY previous year combined.

We just got back from our annual Thanksgiving with friends and it was the best yet. 2020 would have been our 10th year but, y'know... COVID. so this was our 10th anniversary, one year delayed. All vaxxed, no masks. 

When I saw this headline I was confused:

Doctor Who First Raised Concern Over Omicron Variant Says Symptoms Are 'Mild'

I've mentioned a family friend who lives in a nursing home in the Midwest, and how we get calls from the management each time a resident or member of the staff there gets COVID. For the second time, her roommate got it, and was moved. (The first time it happened, the roommate who got COVID died.)

We were out that way over the weekend for a memorial service for a mutual friend, but owing to the COVID spread at the nursing home, didn't visit her. We wouldn't have been allowed in.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service