Having just finished watching the first (double) episode of Agent Carter (aka Marvel’s Agent Carter) I thought I should start a thread to discuss the show.

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's helping a lot that Agent Carter has hit the ground running. By the time Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. started to hit it's stride, I was already tired of the show. I'm hearing it's quite good now, but it spent it's credit with me in the first 11 episodes.  Not to mention putting the show on hiatus over Christmas gave me a great jumping off point.

The Agent Carter show on the other hand, clearly spelled out it's premise in the first episode, gave us some very likeable (and dislikeable characters) straight away.  Some of the other agents remind me of Lt. Burke from Sandman Mystery Theatre.  There's layers of complexity that just really make the show, IMO.

The February 3 episode had a lot going on. The Howling Commandos working with Peggy were a lot of fun. Sort of an adjustment not having them with Nick Fury, which was also touched upon in the movies. Neal McDonough was almost unrecognizable as a well-executed Dum Dum Dugan. A nice touch that they killed Junior Juniper like in the original Sgt Fury comic.

I just watched the last two episodes of what I hope is season one. I don't remember Project Rebirth (Captain America) being attributed to Howard Stark before. Maybe I missed it.

The Marvel Movieverse established Howard as part of Project: Rebirth in Captain America: the First Avenger.  Personally, I thought it made him a bit too old to be Tony's father by backdating him to the 1940s, but what can you do?

I could be worse. They could set Project Rebirth in the Vietnam War.

True. Likewise, I'm not sure I could stand it if they'd just created a genius grandfather for Tony to serve as a WW2 era Stark connection.

I don't know. Given that Howard Stark was more or less a retcon in the first place, and given the entire ludicrousness of Iron Man's overarching story--even taking the Vietnam War out--if they wanted to say that Howard is the grandfather, I don't mind.

Actually, wasn't Tony's father Anthony?

I will reiterate once again that if you aren't on the bandwagon, it's one that's worth jumping on...there's pie, and bacon and bacon pie...and KITTENS!

Dave Elyea said:

True. Likewise, I'm not sure I could stand it if they'd just created a genius grandfather for Tony to serve as a WW2 era Stark connection.

I think Howard Stark was introduced fairly early on in the Iron Man mythos, but only as Tony's wealthy dead father, the munitions mogul whose fortune & business interests made it possible for Tony to indulge his genius (and other things).  As time went on, Howard was retconned as a genius himself, and was credited with some of the stuff that Tony had done back in the 1960s, but was now too young to have been responsible for.  Since I feel it makes Tony less special to be the genius son of a similar genius, to establish yet another, earlier genius Stark to the family tree to cover 1940s mad science would be taking things too far for my tastes.

The great thing about the show is that you don't have to know much Marvel continuity to enjoy it (it probably works pretty well for viewers who don't know much beyond who Captain America is). I'm in that camp myself, having never been much of a Marvel reader. I did know who Dum Dum Dugan was, but that was just a little bonus. Like all the Easter eggs in the current Flash TV show. Fun for viewers who know them, but they just fly past those who don't.

I really enjoyed this show, and hope that it does return in some form. I thought the short story arc format was effective, so I'd be happy to see it recur that way periodically.

Dave Elyea said:

I think Howard Stark was introduced fairly early on in the Iron Man mythos, but only as Tony's wealthy dead father, the munitions mogul whose fortune & business interests made it possible for Tony to indulge his genius (and other things).

I read all the original Silver Age Iron Man stories and continued to read them into the late 70s. If there was a reference to Tony's father it must have been in passing as I don't remember it.

I didn't buy any titles involving the character when I returned to comics in 1989. I first encountered the name Howard Stark in discussions of the more recent comics and in the first Iron Man movie. Someone on the Round Table recently said he was originally Anthony Senior? Maybe they changed it to invoke Howard Hughes.

Tony Stark's father first appeared in a flashback contained in the story "The Controller Lives", from Iron Man # 28 (Aug., 1970).  Here is a pertinent excerpt.  As seen, the elder Stark was named Howard Stark from the beginning.

Howard Stark subsequently appeared in (all flashback appearances, of course):

Avengers Annual # 9 (1979)

The New Warriors # 4 (Oct., 1990)

Captain America Annual # 9 (1990)

Iron Man # 285-8 (Oct., 1992 through Jan., 1993)

Iron Man Annual # 4 (1994)

and a host of others.

Hope this helps.

That explains why I don't remember him. A brief appearance 45 years ago and all the others in comics I didn't buy.

GCD for Iron Man #28 refers to him as Howard Anthony Stark. Presumably the middle name was established later.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I should add: Pluto TV seems to have WAY more ads in an episode than Tubi does, judging from the…"
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"It's not a comic book cover. It's a movie poster of the adaptation of the Ray Bradbury…"
4 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Some of those carnival folks can be a little scary:"
4 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"I can't see any reason why Hero Hotline and Top 10 would not be considered teams. Are the…"
6 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"No one? No one's that worked up about it?  "Do what you like, Bob"? Whatever?…"
7 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"I'm sure I sampled Cyberforce back in the '90s with the rest of the Image premieres, and…"
9 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"I've seen through episode 639 now.  Adam, Angelique, and Nathan have disappeared.…"
10 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Added"
10 hours ago
Randy Jackson liked Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
10 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"In Web of Spider-Man #99 (1993), they introduced the New Enforcers!  Plus…"
11 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I've read through #128 so I can keep up with the discussion this week. "
11 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Wikipedia calls them a team. Yeah, I had to look it up."
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service