The American Cartoonist has posted a notice (I can't link) that the King Features Syndicate THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN newspaper strip will switch to reruns of prior strips on March 25, rather than continue on with Roy Thomas assuming the credited scripter's position, which I had presumed that they would do in the wake of Stan Lee's demise. Too bad, Roy...and Alex Savuik and Joe Sinott and all uncredited assistants as well.

The post does indicate/suggest that the strip will return to new stories at some point but I'm not optimistic on that. Are Disney/Marvel and-or KFS so fixated on being able to continue to use Stan's million dollar name that they decided to go to reruns for that reason?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I think you can make a strong case that it is Alex and Roy."

Oh, yeah, definitely. I concede the point.

(But I'll bet the average "casual fan" will make the same mistake I did.)

• ...I do tend to see completely white-haired Stan myself.

• In an article earlier in this thread, Roy Thomas is quoted as saying that the images of him and Alex Saviuk were used on that strip.

• From previous photos, I knew the figure on the right was Roy Thomas.

Through the process of elimination, not recognizing the other gentleman as Stan Lee led me to the conclusion it was Alex Saviuk, although I had no idea what he looked like in real life before that last strip.

• I will presume that others have seen the announcement of this new planned " Dtsn Lee's Super hero Kindergarten " animated series with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the lead that has been announced? An LA TIMES piece referred to it as " the last thing Stan worked on before his death ". Perhaps so, but I tend to doubt, somehow, that it will be the last " previously unreleased concept from the mind of Stan Lee " yo be RELEASED - Remember all the years of scrapings from Gene Roddenbury's desk that came out after his death? Now, consider his daughter J.C. Lee's reported spending habits...There just might be A WHOLE LOT of unused this-a and that-a that Stan put aside! (I won't even speculate...Well, I won't. Now.) As for the " Superhero Kindergarten " project...Anybody Remember that " Governator " project that Arnold 'n'Dtan announced about eight years ago, which got sunk by Arnold's illegitimate child scandal? I wonder how much/to what extent this might reuse elements from that.
  • King Features Syndicate and Marvel Comics have killed The Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip, reports The Daily Cartoonist blog: "The Syndicated Spider-Man No More". The installment on Saturday, Oct. 21 was the last.

The strip went into reruns four years ago after Stan Lee died, even though it was actually being ghostwritten by Roy Thomas. 

The Syndicated Spider-Man No More - The Daily Cartoonist
    The Amazing Spider-Man comic strip went into rerun status four years and seven months ago with the promise of a new rebooted Spider-Man comic strip f…
  • Well, dash it all. Perhaps it will return when there's a new Spider-Man movie cycle.

• We can hope. The Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip launched in 1977, the same year as The Amazing Spider-Man TV series starring Nicholas Hammond. Back then, newspapers were willing to add adventure strips and superhero strips. There were comic strip versions of  The Incredible HulkConan the Barbarian, even Howard the Duck, not to mention the last gasp of the Batman strip and the addition of The World's Greatest Superheroes which featured the Justice League (althouigh it devolved into a Superman-only strip).

These days, comic strips don't seem to be important to newspapers. Lee Enterprises and Gannett both dictate a lineup of strips to their constituent newspapers that represent half or even a third of what those papers were allowed to carry before the changes. And King Features promised that it would revive the Amazing Spider-Man strip with a new team and new stories, but it never did these past four years.

This reply was deleted.